Profile for Jay "The Middle-Aged Student" > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jay "The Middle-Aged Student" RSS Feed

Fundamentals of Python: First Programs (Introduction to Programming)
Fundamentals of Python: First Programs (Introduction to Programming)
Offered by Cengage Learning
Price: $85.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentals of Python is a great book to get started in Python, November 23, 2014
Fundamentals of Python is a great book to get started in Python. It has some great examples, and it challenges you to build off of each unit. The book deserves five stars, as the author does a great job of keeping the learning process exciting and fun. I had only two minor complaints in the book. The first complaint was that I wish functions were introduced a little earlier in the book. There was a little lag through the strings and dictionaries area in the textbook that would have been more cohesive if functions were introduced a little earlier. The second minor issue was that this textbook doesn't really have some questions with a couple solutions in the back like many other textbooks do. There are so many different ways to solve problems, and it would be nice to see at least one or two solutions to exercises in the back to see if the learner was being consistent with their solutions, or to compare their solutions to possible alternatives.

This is a great first book to computer programming, and a great introduction to Python. This book works well when using it as an aid with the tutorials at Python.org. It is best directed at a target student audience with no programming experience, and could be understood by any learner that has a basic understanding of high-school algebra or above. After using it for a college course, I passed it on to my high-school freshman where he was able to follow along and get started with Python as his first programming language! The author Kenneth Lambert excels at writing textbooks that are accessible by his target audience, and he does a great job hitting the mark for beginning programmers and introducing Python.

Toshiba Satellite L645-S4102 Laptop LCD Screen Replacement 14.0" WXGA HD LED
Toshiba Satellite L645-S4102 Laptop LCD Screen Replacement 14.0" WXGA HD LED
Offered by ScreenS
Price: $56.52
3 used & new from $45.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, October 22, 2013
The new screen came in wrapped well with the plastic protection shield. It is a perfect fit, and everything needed for installation is included. The screen had no pixel loss, and the client was very happy. After a full week of client use, I called to make sure that the screen was working properly and that they were satisfied. Happily my client was extremely satisfied with her new screen. I would recommend this screen for replacement anytime. Special thanks to the seller for being early on their time estimate, I received the screen a day early allowing me to have my clients laptop returned early. Thanks!

Interaction Design: Beyond Human - Computer Interaction
Interaction Design: Beyond Human - Computer Interaction
by Yvonne Rogers
Price: $70.45
79 used & new from $36.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book - Dances around digital interfaces, January 14, 2013
This book is required for a course, but also serves well as a reference. The book hits many important marks, unfortunately the second half of the title is true. Beyond human-computer interaction. The book places a higher emphasis on physical design and human reaction to tangible devices and working interfaces. I had high hopes that the new third edition would move beyond Web interfaces and explode into the mobile computing interfaces and designs flooding the market today. In this arena it fell a little short. Conversely, that which has always made this book a good introduction book still remains intact. In my humble opinion, a good Intro to HCI book should boldly address standardization of icons, layouts, and familiar iconography context somewhere within the book prominently. This would give an appropriate exposure to those new in IT and HCI, a historic evolution of digital interface design building a strong foundation for future evolution exposing roots of past successes and failures. This point gets glossed over in the text, though there are references to where to seek this information in other texts. It's a great introductory book, easy to read, and full of great information. It may not be as helpful a reference for developers and software interface designers as possibly it could be, this is the only disappointing feature of the entire text.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-i8190 Unlocked, International Version, Blue
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini GT-i8190 Unlocked, International Version, Blue
Offered by BREED
Price: $159.99
26 used & new from $119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone is great!, January 14, 2013
Samsung makes a great product. I really liked the feature sets of the SIII and the Note II, but I really did not want a phone that large. The mini SIII has some very similar specifications, though not as powerful, still the phone has all the features I could need, and lives up to Samsung's quality. I've not had a reset once since in two weeks since I started using it. The phones reaction time is smooth, the access to Android features including Amazon Ap Store and Google Play is easy, and the standard use of the mini usb charger allows flexibility with other portable devices I currently use. If you are looking for a tablet and phone all-in-one, consider the Note II or SIII, but if you already have a great tablet, and need a well powered phone that works with all the bells and whistles, this is a great product.

Le Pan I TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet
Le Pan I TC 970 9.7-Inch Android Tablet
8 used & new from $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tablet & Manufacturer, November 24, 2011
The reviews of this tablet list so many positive reactions. I concur with all of them. The tablet is very nicely done for the cost. The manufacturer has placed plenty of thought into the construction, components, screen, and other decision making factors involved in developing this product. Writing another positive review seems redundant, though my excitement really wants to vent.

Here are the questions and concerns I had when ordering, hoping they will answer your questions too.

1. The tablet took only four days to get here, and yes I ordered during the holidays (week before thanksgiving to be exact).
2. The tablet fits nicely into cases designed for the first generation iPads, take your pick on what you like. I took it down to Best-Buy to try it out and see what it fits in. The cases designed for the older iPads seemed to be perfect.
3. Order the screen protector by searching for: POSRUS Antiglare Antifingerprint Screen Protector for Le Pan TC 970, they have it here on Amazon. It fits perfect.
4. It works on the WiFi in my home anywhere in the house, the garage, and on the front terraces. Using a cheap Belkin N router and access point I picked up for less than 40 dollars. I've heard that the devices have better range on Infrastructure networks as opposed to ad-hoc networks, so this might make a difference in the range. It also works at the McDonald's Wifi, and Starbucks WiFi at the BN bookstore by my house without any problems at all.
5. The viewing ratio is perfect for reading books and viewing PDF's. I am a student, and I read lots of textbooks. It does a great job with this. I almost don't want to give it to my son now for Christmas. Might have to order another one for Dad.
6. Yes the screen is a capacitive multi-touch screen. It works great, and it is very responsive, actually impressive. It is also very accurate. The resistive screen on other tablets I've used I felt lucky if I was even close to typing what I wanted.

It meets all my expectations, even after ordering it and searching for the couple days afterward for a better deal, I could not find one with this multi-touch screen and viewing ratio near the price I was willing to pay, which was under $225 ($250 including S&H).

Student Note: If you are thinking of getting this for reading textbooks, it does work great, the 4:3 ratio is better than the widescreen. It is not very heavy to hold for hours of homework reading, and I recommend getting a small arrowhead type stand (around $15 anywhere including Amazon and Wal-Mart) as it is perfect sitting next to the computer monitor while working on homework.

Note about Manufacturer: The manufacturer lists multiple ways to get hold of them, they answer emails and questions very promptly, and are genuinely eager to help.

Note about Skype: The microphone works, and so does the chat and screen share. Video does not because of a Skype limitation with Android 2.2. However there are alternatives that do work. (oovoo and fring I've been told work, but I have not tried them yet.) !!! Update on Skype !!! Try the new Skype download, it was supposed to fix this limitation with the OS, I already got my Skype working with a modified version. Search for Modified Skype for Android Froyo and the tablet name, you'll find the download :)

Suggestions: Order a 32gb Micro SD card with it. (32 is the max it takes, I am sure a 16 or 8 would be fine too...)

I searched for one whole week on so many websites I went blind, with my wife glaring at me for the amount of time I spent searching. This was a great deal, and now having received the tablet (while still searching online at others waiting for it to arrive), I truly feel it was the right and best purchase for me, or um my son's Christmas present... going to have to order another one.

UPDATE AFTER USING A LOT! 11/30/2011
The one thing that popped up after some heavy use with the tablet over this past week and playing around with all that Android has to offer... this tablet does not have a USB port. I was able to order an adapter though for the charger cable that is USB female to female, and I will try that out when it gets here. The power cable has a standard size USB end on one end, and a proprietary connector for charging on the other end, my hope is that with the adapter, I can add that little functionality to it. The ability to use the USB to play movies would be an outstanding bonus, taking that little micro SD card in and out is just not as easy as USB. Even with that little need, I am still 100% satisfied about the product.
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2012 4:49 PM PST

Microsoft Visio 2010 Step by Step
Microsoft Visio 2010 Step by Step
by Scott A. Helmers
Price: $21.98
90 used & new from $16.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it done faster! A must for document presentation., September 4, 2011
Normally I don't buy how to software books, as the material value is useless when the next release comes out. The information in this book had all the vocabulary needed to use the program, working examples that will exceed the next version release, and saved my frustration with the Visio software. I watched all those Visio Guy films at Microsoft's website, and I thought they were great and imaginative, yet when I wanted to work with Visio beyond playing with its interface, those videos weren't of much help. This book opens the software secrets up quick, and gets you into production. Far less wordy than the dummy books, and the author's experience and examples will transcend the next release.

Handbook of Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics (Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications)
by Kenneth H. Rosen
Price: $133.21
23 used & new from $53.20

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you need . . . stop searching and buy it!, February 8, 2011
I had to use Johnsonbaugh's book as it was required for my course. During my course I searched for many other references to help with my understanding. I was fortunate to have a great professor, that I'm sure could have taught the course with any book. I knew that I needed a better book though for future reference (I keep all my textbooks, later on in life I know how to find what I need to refresh the memory!).

This book by Rosen was the best! I can use it as a desk reference and will refer back to it often over the years. It has been a great reference too for the computer programming courses and as a supplement for Logic courses.

If you know you need a Discrete Mathematics book, have been searching the Internet looking for the right one (they are all expensive)and you want to make sure you get one you will be able to use after your course for a reference manual, this is the book you need.

Discrete Mathematics, 7th Edition
Discrete Mathematics, 7th Edition
by Richard Johnsonbaugh
Price: $142.26
93 used & new from $72.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Middle-Aged Student, February 8, 2011
The author himself displays knowledge of the subject. If you have a decent understanding of Discrete Math prior to "needing" this book, then it may help you. I use the term "needing" because for the course I took, this text is required. That is the best positive review I can muster for this book. I'd like to say more but bashing a book does nothing to prove the book is faulty, after all different readers learn differently. I will say this though, "Your professor/instructor had better be hands on and ready to explain topics if they have chosen this book. Read the chapters early and prepare yourself prior to lectures to ask questions if this is the book you have to use!"

Should you have a choice in books concerning Discrete Mathematics, I would highly recommend Epps, Dossey or Rosen. All three of the previous authors display better aptitude towards teaching the subject. Johnsonbaugh does know the subject, his ability to convey that through the text is where this book misses the mark. Should you not need a book in "Textbook" format, and are looking more for a self-teaching or desktop resource, look for the Handbook of Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics by Rosen. I've not found a better book that thoroughly encompasses the subject.

On another note, should you find yourself needing a "Math pick-me-up book," or maybe you've been away from math for awhile and are dreading having to take a math course, the best book I've ever come across for math after high school is: Mathematics: A Human Endeavor (Newest release is 3rd Edition I believe)by Jacobs. It definitely would not hurt to have Jacobs book as a companion helping you through any math courses, or even as a bookshelf reference!

That said, if I wanted to just "learn" Discrete Math, needed its concepts for IT or CS work, and this book was not required, I would not buy it.