Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Profile for Lee St Clair > Reviews

Browse

Lee St Clair's Profile

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lee St Clair RSS Feed (Miami, FL, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Agnostic Khushwant: There Is No God
Agnostic Khushwant: There Is No God
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all what I expected, May 4, 2012
The description says the author comes up with the new and controversial. It may be controversial, but it sure isn't new.

He is not against religion, per se. But, he is against religious practices that impinge on one's neighbors, such as noisy religious processions through the streets which hinder peoples sleep or study time. However, he is for a national law that would force anyone who gets married to plant three trees.

I admit to only reading the first chapter. It was all I could stomach. The author is, in effect, arguing for a state-imposed secular religion modeled on his own beliefs. A religion with no God, but with all sorts of legally-mandated stipulations.

This, to my way of thinking, is not a good argument for agnosticism. It is more an argument for totalitarianism.

8MM Tungsten Ring with Laser Etched Celtic Design Size 13
8MM Tungsten Ring with Laser Etched Celtic Design Size 13

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning beauty in simplicity, April 10, 2012
This ring is far more beautiful than the picture would indicate. And the vendor, to my delight, was kind enough to cancel an order in mid-shipment when I notified them that I had ordered the wrong ring size. They then informed me that that particular style did not come in my size, and were kind enough to cancel the order, no questions asked, without knowing that I was going to order something different from them in its place. I think you can't go wrong with this vendor. And the ring itself, now firmly on my finger, is gorgeous. Thank you.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as perfect as the picture, April 9, 2012
The ring arrived and it didn't quite match the picture. I am guessing the picture is somehow enhanced to show the detail. On the actual ring, the black background behind the celtic dragon know is almost a light gray. And, the engraving is actually smaller than the photograph would have you believe. So, although it is a beautiful ring, it is not nearly as beautiful as I had hoped based on the accompanying photograph. Just be aware.

The Wolf Gift: The Wolf Gift Chronicles (1)
The Wolf Gift: The Wolf Gift Chronicles (1)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is Delicious !!, March 13, 2012
Everyone has their own tastes in literature. So, it is inevitable that there will be negative reviews of this or any other book. And, specifically, it is inevitable that some reviewers will contrast this book with the author's earlier work.

I have read all the Vampire Chronicles and the entire Mayfair Witch saga and enjoyed them all. (I am still waiting and hoping for the final book on Lestat that was mentioned in an interview, and that long-awaited History of the Talamasca would be so, so welcome!)

So, I had high hopes for this book, and I was not disappointed. Anne Rice has lost none of her narrative skill. For me, it has has grown over the years and is now both more lush and more spare than in earlier works, almost as if she is now able to convey more with less.

The plot of the novel is not, of course, entirely new. (There are only 7 basic plots in literature.) But, how the plot is handled is what makes for great writing, is what makes a great author. And the plot of this book is handled extremely well. Anne Rice has a way of imbuing her characters with such humanity that they become at once interesting, intriguing, mysterious and loveable. You care about what happens to them.

Does the end of the novel drag. Perhaps a tiny little bit; I will give other reviewers that one point. But, it contains the heart of the history and explanation that really didn't come until the third novel in the Vampire Chronicles. I, for one, am thankful not to have to wait that long.

And, the end of the book clearly sets up all the elements needed for a sequel, which I can hardly wait to see in print.

To Anne Rice, I say, thank you very much !!! To those who didn't like the book, that's the way it goes.

Footloose
Footloose
DVD ~ Kenny Wormald
Offered by SOUTHWEST MEDIA
Price: $9.35
99 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting tribute and a film of its own, March 10, 2012
This review is from: Footloose (DVD)
I dragged two friends to see Footloose with Kevin Bacon when it premiered in Seattle. They didn't care very much for the film. I, on the other hand, loved it. I had never heard of Kevin Bacon, but I became and instant fan. I have watched everything he has done, right down to the episodes of The Closer that he directed.

I own 6 DVDs of Hamlet. Should I say that since Laurence Olivier filmed Hamlet there is now no room for anyone else to do so? Are David Tennant, Derek Jacobi and Christopher Plummer to be seen as "upstart crows" who have nothing new to add? I mean, Olivier! How do you top that? Or could we see Tennant and Jacobi and Plummer as actors with a different interpretation?

And, could we not look at the remake of Footloose as a different interpretation rather than seeing it as a replacement? I loved Kevin Bacon and Lori Singer. But, I was a Kenny Warmold fan from the moment I saw him in Center Stage: Step It Up. As Ren MacCormack he shines, for me, as innocence and determination combined. And Julianne Hough -- what a revelation !! I mean, we knew she could dance. But, as an actress, she blew me away !!! And what a find in Miles Teller. He was hip, cool, and funny all at the same time.

I don't see this rendition of Footloose as a would-be replacement of the original. I see it as a new interpretation of a story that will never grow old. And, as such, I welcome it, I embrace it, and I commend it.

Two great versions of the same story!! Who could ask for anything more?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 3:09 PM PDT

Incipio kaddy Folio Case Cover for Kindle Touch - Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, March 9, 2012
This is the fourth cover I have purchased for my Kindle Touch, and so far, the best one ever. Although not leather, it has a very nice feel to it, which is important. The greatest feature, for me, are the tabs for attaching the device. They are sturdy and unobtrusive, unlike the covers which attach with elastic straps at the corners. It was that feature which prompted me to purchase this cover. To Incipio, I say, Job Well Done. Thank you.

The Answer To Why We Are Here
The Answer To Why We Are Here

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Advised, February 9, 2012
The author has distilled the ideas of many others into a tiny little pamphlet that is little more than an advertisement for his free on-line course. The ideas are nothing new, having been covered extensively by an ever-growing host of "New Age" authors. Was it worth $0.99. I will leave that up to you. But, if you are a Prime subscriber and can borrow it for free, I would advise you to do so. If it brings comfort to others, more power to you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2012 7:27 AM PST

Family Reunion (Charon Family Adventure Book 1)
Family Reunion (Charon Family Adventure Book 1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A non-stop roller coaster fun ride, December 23, 2011
Reading this book was the literary equivalent of watching the A-Team, or Leverage, or the old Mission Impossible television series. All the good guys are so good at what they do that the bad guys never stand a chance.

No one is going to believe that anything in this story could actually happen. It is too way-over-the-top for that. Which is exactly the point. It is pure escapist fun with all the fat trimmed away.

The Charon "family" is complex, interesting, and constantly at each other's throats, which makes for an unusual family dynamic. The villains stop just short of being cardboard cutouts, but that is not a complaint. I just couldn't wait to see them get what they had coming to them.

I so totally and thoroughly enjoyed this book and I cannot wait for the sequel.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition to my kindle, December 1, 2011
I bought this based on the only other review at the time. I must agree that this is a quality cover for my Kindle. Although you cannot see the Intuitive Mounting system in the illustration, it consists of four elastic straps for the corners, the two outside straps having leather tabs for easy access once the inside corner straps have been placed around the device. Unlike the previous cover I had which featured leather strips on the elastic corner straps, these elastic straps are barely noticable to me when holding the kindle for reading. Nice job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 6:27 PM PST

Marware Atlas Kindle Case Cover, Black (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle, and Kindle Touch)

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinda Chintzy !!!, November 24, 2011
The corner elastic straps which hold the Kindle into the cover are not nearly as elegant as the leather cover with the side clips I purchased for my original Kindle keyboard model. And, one of the corner elastic straps had a stitching error which pulls if off-center toward the top of the cover - not enough of a problem to send it back, but enough of a problem to mar the look of the cover. I wish Amazon would find someone to produce a high-quality leather cover of the sort that Barnes & Noble offers for the Nook. I saw one with names of authors embossed on it that was exquisite !!! The Kindle is, of course, for me, a far better device and a far superior reading experience. However, an exquisitely-designed leather cover with a well-engineered attachment method could only add to that pleasure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8