Profile for rbteaching > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

rbteaching RSS Feed (Wisconsin)

Sumaru
Sumaru
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, May 13, 2014
This review is from: Sumaru (App)
This is an excellent game for those who want a good logic challenge. Some reviewers have stated the game is too hard. That is what will be appealing to those who will enjoy this game. If you enjoy solving a Rubik's cube and enjoy math, you will like this game. Finally, a game that makes you think!

WORD PUZZLE for the HOLIDAY SOUL
WORD PUZZLE for the HOLIDAY SOUL
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice holiday app, December 2, 2013
Good selection of puzzles and plenty of time to get three stars on each so you can take your time and relax.

52 Days by Camel: My Sahara Adventure (Adventure Travel Series)
52 Days by Camel: My Sahara Adventure (Adventure Travel Series)
by Lawrie Raskin
Price: $13.17
41 used & new from $6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to go on the same adventure!, June 11, 2009
This book is so much more than just a boring book about the Sahara. It is an adventure that gives kids (and adults) a feel for what it would really be like to be there. The sights, smells, sounds, and excitement are described. There are so many interesting facts added, hand drawn maps, and beautiful photography. Both my daughter (10) and I enjoyed it. This is a great book for those studying Africa.

Easy Kana Workbook: Basic Practice in Hiragana and Katakana for Japanese Language Students
by Rita Lampkin
Price: $8.36
69 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to learn Kana, August 8, 2008
I have been using the Easy Kana Workbook in conjunction with Remembering the Kana by James Heisig to learn both hiragana and katakana. Remembering the Kana gave me ways to easily remember the symbols and this book gave me the means to get a lot of practice. Not only is there practice with the symbols, but also with writing words and sentences both vertically and horizontally. The book also includes exceptions for when symbols should be used for different sounds. Finally, there is further opportunity to get practice transcribing between romanji to hiragana/katakana as well as from hiragana/katakana to romanji. Within a one month period I have become very comfortable with hiragana and am well on my way to doing the same with katakana. These two books are all you need.

Timex Women's T5K007 Ironman Sleek 50-Lap Plum/Gray Resin Strap Watch
Timex Women's T5K007 Ironman Sleek 50-Lap Plum/Gray Resin Strap Watch
Price: $30.58
24 used & new from $29.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as water resistant as they claim, June 30, 2008
We purchased this watch knowing it may get wet occasionally and it claimed to be water resistant. It wasn't. It failed due to moisture issues after running through some water sprinklers (not even fully submerged or under pressure) only a couple of months after purchase. Very disappointing. Timex did offer to replace the watch for the cost of shipping and handling. The new watch has now made it 6 months (including submerged in swimming pools). I would increase the stars if it holds up for at least a year.

Scholastic Children's Dictionary
Scholastic Children's Dictionary
by Scholastic Inc.
388 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many missing words., January 12, 2007
I purchased this dictionary for my second grade daughter and I have to say I am very disappointed. She is very interested in words and looks up several words daily. At least a third of the time (if not more)she has tried to look up a word, we find this dictionary does not have entry for it. It has come to the point where she is guessing that the word will not be in the dictionary and therefore doesn't even try to look it up. Quite often I tell her that the word is most likely there and she should try, thinking the word would be an obvious one to include in a children's dictionary. But most of the time she just proves me wrong. It may be an OK choice for learning how to use a dictionary. However, I would seriously hesitate on purchasing this one if you have a child who plans on using the dictionary frequently. You will just find them frustrated.

Seal-A-Meal VSB5-6 1-Gallon Vacuum Sealer Bags, 15-Pack
Seal-A-Meal VSB5-6 1-Gallon Vacuum Sealer Bags, 15-Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for all purposes except boiling, August 30, 2006
Although Rival claims this product can be boiled, we have had the bags break open on the bottom (area that was factory sealed) while boiling, leaving us with soup instead of a nice meal. It may be fine for vacuum sealing and storing but I can't trust the bags to be boiled.

Daily Word Problems, Grade 2
Daily Word Problems, Grade 2
by Jill S. Norris
33 used & new from $14.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to stress word problems, August 9, 2006
This was my daughter's favorite book last year. She begged me to get the third grade one for this coming year as well. She liked the different themes every week (she would try to guess the next theme and enjoyed the anticipation). The problems themselves were solid (made the kids think) but not overly tricky. She solved 95% of them with no guidance at all (I will state math is her strong subject though). Overall, this is a great book to get kids enthusiastic about word problems.

Chemistry, Pre-Level 1 (Real Science-4-Kids)
Chemistry, Pre-Level 1 (Real Science-4-Kids)
by Rebecca W. Keller
40 used & new from $6.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to chemistry for this age!, June 2, 2006
I am a homeschooling mom with a science background. My daughter was asking many chemistry questions but I thought she would be too young to understand acids, bases, DNA, polymers, etc. at her age (6yo 2nd grader). I was wrong. The way things are presented in this book makes teaching tough concepts simple to this age group. My daughter especially enjoyed how atoms are displayed and used throughout the book. They are made to be almost like a cartoon character. They have the correct amount of arms depending on how many bonds they are capable of (hydrogen has one arm, carbon has four, and so on). They also have conversations such as saying hello or goodbye to other atoms during reactions. This was my daughters favorite unit for the year. By the time we had completed the book, she had a good understanding of the concepts and was able not only to present acids and bases at a science fair, but also field additional questions afterwards. Others who saw her work told her they did not understand what she was talking about until they were in high school. The reason I give this only 4 stars is because of the accompanying lab book and teachers manual (available through the publishers website). In order to get the most from this book, the labs really need to be performed as well. This book, although good on it's own, does not have the same impact as it does after the experiments. However, I found the teacher's manual was not quite up to the quality of this book (I was glad I had a science background). Despite this downfall, I would still highly recommend this book (and corresponding lab book / teacher's manual).
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 9:26 AM PDT