ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Man in the Middle > Reviews

Man in the Middle's Profile

Customer Reviews: 516

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Man in the Middle "strasma" RSS Feed (Irvine, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
jimmyCASE® iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus Wallet Case - Ultra Slim Protective Credit Card Carrying Case (Black)
Offered by jimmyCASE
Price: $49.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best card case yet!, October 9, 2015
Our family is a big fan of Speck Card Cases, such as my wife's Speck Products CandyShell Card Case for iPhone 6 Plus/6S Plus - Beaming Orchid Purple/Deep Sea Blue, on various iPhones and a Galaxy S4 over the past 3 years. On buying a new iPhone 6S Plus, I decided to see what else is out there with the same ability to both protect the phone and hold essential cards and money so I don't also have to carry a wallet. My Amazon search turned up this jimmyCASE Wallet case, which appears better in two key ways: 1) The elastic band for holding cards both holds more cards and makes it easier to get them in and out, without having any fall out unintentionally; and 2) real mahogany wood on the back, rather than just plastic. The one down-side I feared was added weight.
Now that it's here, I'm still thrilled. The added weight turns out to be only 1/5th of an ounce, and the improved looks and capacity are very noticeable. Happily, my 6S Plus fits fine (as it does also in my wife's Speck Card Case for her 6 Plus.)
Mine came used from Amazon Warehouse Deals, but certainly looks new to me, at an even better price. Highly recommended!

Plutocracy in America: How Increasing Inequality Destroys the Middle Class and Exploits the Poor
by Ronald P. Formisano
Price: $17.34
55 used & new from $8.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Good description of a huge problem. Needs to cast a wider net for causes and cures., September 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this book. I 100% agree with the author that "increasing inequality destroys the middle class and exploits the poor." That's one of my most common topics of discussion with a good friend who used to serve a state legislature and likewise sees this as THE problem in America today.

My difficulty with this book is that virtually all of its explanations of how plutocracy came about, and how it can be eliminated read like the wish list of the Democratic Party, as explained by the New York Times, with unnecessary and pointless attacks on anyone who agrees on the problem and wants to solve it, but not necessarily in those ways. At times, the author ALMOST sees this, as when he notes that nobody at all served even a day in jail for all the crimes underlying the 2008 financial crisis, and that fervent Democrat Attorney General Eric Holder was fine with that, as was Holder's boss, President Obama. But for the most part the book reads "Republicans this" and "Koch brothers that", missing easy opportunities to be more even handed, such as noting that although Democrat Warren Buffet is concerned about his secretary paying a higher rate of income tax than he does, Buffett nonetheless went out of his way to shield his estate from taxes via the Gates Foundation.

This problem is MUCH bigger than just the actions of evil Republicans, and won't be solved by anyone unwilling to note just how prominent a part elected Democrats and their supporters play. The author notes that Washington DC and its revolving door between government and business is a big part of the problem, but fails to follow that up by remembering "rent-seekers" etc. are prominent in both major parties, and need to be reined in on both sides of the Congressional aisle.

Libertarians, Constitutional Conservatives, Tea Partisans and Occupy Wall Streeters all see this problem, and all want to solve it. But to overcome all the entrenched power of our plutocracy, they'll have to find a way to work together, rather than just blaming each other.

Zevia Naturally Sweetened Drinks, Ginger Ale, 24 Count (Pack of 24)
Zevia Naturally Sweetened Drinks, Ginger Ale, 24 Count (Pack of 24)
Price: $23.56

4.0 out of 5 stars A good effort at a healthier sugar-free carbonated soda with no unpleasant aftertaste., September 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good tasting zero calorie carbonated drink, though not as strongly flavored as my personal favorite Vernors (back in the old days when its flavor was aged for 4 years in wood casks.) From the name, I expected Zevia to be sweetened with Stevia, but it's a bit more complex than that. Rather than forms of Stevia I've bought before, this soda contains Reb A (Rebaudioside A, a sweeter Stevia extract), combined with Erithritol (a sugar alcohol), and Monk Fruit extract (another sweetener.) The goal was apparently a healthier sugar-free drink without the characteristic aftertaste associated with Stevia.

Surprisingly, Ginger is not listed as an ingredient of this "Ginger Ale", unless it is among what are listed as "Natural Flavors". It is not listed as Organic, but is listed as GMO-free, with no caramel color. I'd recommend going the whole Vernor's route, with real ginger flavor aged for years in wood casks.

The result appears to meet its goal of a refreshing drink without any unpleasant aftertaste, though I was a bit underwhelmed to have to Google so many of its ingredients to know what I was really drinking. There is also still an open question as to the long-term effect on weight of drinking anything your gut bacteria THINK is sugared, even though it is calorie-free.

Normally, when I want a carbonated drink, I drink unflavored tap water, carbonated with a Sodastream. I then occasionally add a bit of organic Pomegranite juice for flavor, a combination I can be even more sure contains nothing bad for me, at an unbeatable cost, with no need to lug anything heavy home from the store.

Zevia is a good alternative for away from home.

Bose Wave SoundTouch music system IV- Espresso Black
Bose Wave SoundTouch music system IV- Espresso Black
Price: $599.00
5 used & new from $599.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice (and sometimes confusing) upgrade from earlier Wave radios, September 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is now our fourth Bose Wave radio over the past twenty years. The reason for seeking this one was to have a stereo in our living room again - one able to play the iTunes library of my bedroom PC, as we no longer have CDs.

As expected, the audio quality from the system via its demo CD is great. And I did succeed eventually in getting the system to play my iTunes library, though it took a couple of days of trying before that worked. (My current best guess is that the library link didn't work until I manually ejected my iPad Mini Retina from wirelessly linking to iTunes daily over WiFi.) While trying to solve that, I confirmed I could also listen to MP3 music via a Bluetooth link from our iPad.

One other obvious change in this new version is the replacement of all the top buttons of older Wave radios with a capacitive top that turns off or on by touching it anywhere in the top's middle front portion. That's convenient except when I misplace the remote control, in which case I'm only able to control the radio via its free Soundtouch app from a desk computer or cellphone.

On the bright side, every time the Wave radio is turned back on, it immediately resumes what it was last doing. Thus, I can easily continue to listen to my favorite iTunes playlist day after day, although I have NOT found a way to have the Bose shuffle the order in which songs are played as iTunes normally would. [Update: Viewing the Soundtouch app, start a song playing. Once it is, a shuffle icon will appear to the lower left of its info. Click that to shuffle. Hat tip to Jordan in the Bose Soundtouch Owner Community.]

The new Wave radio no longer includes the traditional Wave radio FM dipole antenna, though that can still be ordered separately. Instead, the FM antenna is part of the power cord, so be sure the cord is fully-extended for best reception. In our case, that still wasn't very good. We live 35 miles from KUSC, and receive it extremely well on a Sony XDR-S3HD HD Radio (Discontinued by Manufacturer) we bought for $100 some years ago that IS connected to an FM dipole antenna. The new Wave radio, on the other hand, with its power cord antenna, receives the same station with lots of static.

Since the new Wave radio does display RDS (Radio Data System) info, I was surprised to see it does not also receive HD stations as the Sony does. That was crucial when I was working in the basement of a downtown Chicago office building a few years ago, as no other radio worked there at all.

All of the other things I've always loved about Wave radios are still there, such as not losing settings or clock time when briefly unplugged, and the ability to easily set and use two separate daily alarms, not to mention glorious sound quality from such a small box.

Now that I finally have it connected to iTunes, I will be happily using this new version of the venerable Wave radio daily, hopefully for decades like its predecessors.

Epson EX9200 Pro WUXGA 3LCD Projector Pro Wireless, Full HD, 3200 Lumens Color Brightness
Price: $743.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Progress! Epson has vastly improved my favorite data projector ever, for a bargain price., September 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Epson is by far my favorite maker of data projectors. I've bought several of them for work over the years, most recently a 730C I absolutely loved back in 2002.
Superficially, this new projector looks and works a lot like the 730C, except that it has three times the screen resolution (1920 x 1200 vs. 1024 x 768), 60% more output (3200 lumens vs. 2000), over triple the bulb life (5000H vs. 1500H), and costs only one-fourth as much (under $800 vs. $3200.)
This new model also includes some things the 2002 model couldn't even dream about: WiFi, HDMI, USB, 1080P video, the ability to be controlled via an Android or iOS app, and perhaps most surprising of all, no need to leave its fan running afterwards to cool down after a presentation.
I've installed its desktop app on my Windows 10 desktop machine, which easily and automatically allows the EX9200Pro to display on our living room wall everything on my bedroom PC's screen. Since we have Amazon Prime, that makes showing a video about as easy as anyone could imagine.
The new model can use a bit more power than the old one (291W vs. 225W), but uses less when plugged in but off (0.1W without WiFi active and 2.4W with WiFi vs. 5.5W.) There is also a useful Eco mode, which doubles predicted bulb life and cuts power when on to 214W. It's a bit quieter (37db vs. 39db, 29db in Eco mode.) Sadly, it does weigh a tiny bit more (5.6# vs. 4.3#.) The warranty is also now 1 year, rather than the 2 of the old model. And the remote control can no longer be stored inside the projector. But I can happily put up with those tiny restrictions because Epson has taken my favorite data projector ever, and made it vastly better at a truly bargain price.
Very highly recommended!

How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, Second Edition
How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic, Second Edition
by Michael Geier
Price: $17.40
4 used & new from $14.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and readable introduction to and reference for repairing even the latest electronic devices, September 19, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an amazingly-good book. Written by a true expert who has the rare gift of also being able to clearly and enjoyably share his knowledge with beginners. I recognize this style because I had the same goal in my own tech books decades ago. And my would this book have been useful for the electronics technicians working in our college hardware repair center back in the '90s.
This is, first of all, an introduction, both to electronics and electronic devices, and to the tools and logic necessary to understand them and keep them working. I read straight through, and suggest other readers do the same, skimming as necessary, but getting all the way through.
After that, it becomes a very useful and specific reference for dealing quickly and logically with the most common problems with a wide variety of electronic devices.
If you want to go into this as a serious hobby, or for a living, you'll need some diagnostic tools, such as an oscilloscope. The book offers lots of advice on what to look for in used tools, and how to use them once you have them. But even if you haven't the space or budget for anything beyond a digital multimeter and a soldering iron, this book will still be of immense help in using those well to solve many problems.
Highly recommended!

Raspberry Confetti Jump Rope 16
Raspberry Confetti Jump Rope 16
Offered by Maison Baby
Price: $12.00
20 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal fitness toy for several kids to share, September 11, 2015
This was the perfect gift for us to give the kids we support at a Foundation for His Ministry orphanage in Baja California, Mexico this week. They live in group homes of up to a dozen kids with a live-in house parent. Unlike most other toys, a long jump rope REQUIRES at least 3 kids to cooperate in order for it to be used at all, but can easily keep up to two dozen kids entertained and getting fit for an hour. For little kids, just wiggle it on the ground and have them jump over it in a game of "Snake". For older kids, it can be a traditional jump rope, accommodating up to 4 kids at a time. When they tire of that, it's also great for a game of "Limbo" as kids try to sneak under it without touching it, or a game of Tug of War. Plus, it is very sturdily made, with no other parts to break or get lost.

Epson WorkForce ET-4550 EcoTank Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Fax
Price: $499.99
5 used & new from $478.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! An All-in-one color inkjet that doesn't constantly need costly ink cartridges, August 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bought my last "All-in-One" color inkjet printer in 2001. Since then, I've used only laser printers, because although they cost more initially, they cost less over the years once the cost of ink and toner is added in. Until now. Epson has now done what it takes to make me consider an inkjet printer again by ending the need to constantly replace tiny costly ink cartridges. Yes, that means the printer costs more initially than either of the last two laser printers I've bought. But those both also needed toner cartridges almost immediately that brought their initial cost up to match this printer's. And those toners didn't last anywhere near two years, unlike the ink on this printer. And the savings continue after that, as another two years worth of ink should cost only about $50 from Epson or any other supplier of compatible ink. (Use of non-Epson ink would void the 2 year warranty.)

For an all-in-one with duplex printing, a document feeding scanner, and ink for 2 years, the ET4550 is pretty compact, It's also a lot lighter than our color laser printers, although once the ink is loaded it will be best not to move the printer in any way that might make the ink leak.

It was also a joy to see how quickly printing began as each job was sent to the printer. No more waiting for the laser to warm up.

Most of all, I'd missed the ability to easily copy a document, and love not having to first scan it into my wife's PC and then print the scan. Having my own scanner now is also appreciated. The scanner document feeder is only one-sided, and much slower than our other document-feed scanner, but good enough for my few needs.

Finally, this is the first printer we've had that talks to every computing device we own, including a Chromebook, IOS and Android devices. And we can print to it from anywhere.

Setting all of this up took me several hours, and computer support is what I did for a living. But the process was mostly straight-forward. Our PCs are running Windows 10, so we downloaded the latest drivers from Epson rather than using the CD packed with the printer. Then it needed to give itself a further update, including a firmware update. And the initial software install did not include the scanning software, so I installed that separately from the same page on the Epson site, along with the Epson Connect software needed to print from anywhere. Be sure to do the initial ink fill with the bottles labeled initial fill, as those have exactly the right amount of ink to just fill the ink tanks in the printer. I found squeezing them gently and repeatedly, as you might a baby bottle worked to install the ink without leaks, though I was glad to have a paper under the printer and disposable gloves. Both got a bit of color despite my best efforts.

I no longer have a land line, so did not test the fax feature. It seems up-to-date though: 33K speed and color.

For those using this in an office setting, there is a setup for an administrator to lock some settings, to ensure those are not changed.

Of the four models in this series, this is my favorite, and has now permanently replaced the laser printer that used to be next to my desk. My wife is also happy, because the laser is now next to her desk, and she can also easily print to this printer.

The one omission I noticed is there doesn't seem to be any Optical Character Recognition software included. But if you need that, you likely also need a faster dedicated duplex scanner, and those do come with OCR software.

Highly recommended!

Viva Labs - The FINEST 15g Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Cold-Milled for Higher Absorption, 1 LB Bag
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $22.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Hemp powder done right, August 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried another brand of hemp powder before, and didn't like it much, so had switched to using Nutiva Organic Shelled Hempseed, 8-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 3). I'm sure the powder was healthy, but it didn't taste like much, and turned everything I added it to green, whereas the shelled hempseed has a nutty consistency and is off-white with black specks in color.

With that background, I wasn't entirely happy to see this hemp protein is also a powder and slightly green. On the other hand, it tastes fine, doesn't overpower other colors in a smoothie, and delivers 50% more protein per serving than shelled hempseed (15g vs. 10g. per 30g serving.) It's also much lower in fat (4g vs. 14g, with most fat in both polyunsaturated), and calories (110 vs. 170.) It also has more fiber (7g vs. 1g), and iron (64% vs. 15%, which I understand is good for women and perhaps not good for men.)

Going forward, I will likely only order one of these two products, but I honestly don't know which it will be yet. I will update this review once I finally decide. Meanwhile, both are good choices, and I'll be using one or the other each day from now on..

Belkin 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable, Works with Google Chromebook Pixel 2, Apple New MacBook and Other USB Type C Compatible Devices  (6-Foot)
Belkin 2.0 USB-C to Mini-B Charge Cable, Works with Google Chromebook Pixel 2, Apple New MacBook and Other USB Type C Compatible Devices (6-Foot)
Price: $16.99
34 used & new from $12.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-made interface plus charging cable between USB-C and Mini-B devices, August 14, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Much as we love our new Google Pixel 2 (2015) Chromebook, there isn't much that can connect directly to its two new USB-C ports yet. Since I have three devices that still use Mini-B connectors, I was happy to see this adapter cable is now available. And it does work. As soon as I plugged my Garmin 2589 GPS into it, the GPS powered up, running off the adapter cable rather than its own battery. However, it went into link mode, expecting to talk to either a PC or Mac to update its software, than than just a Google Chrome browser. Even so, it's still useful for charging the GPS from the Chromebook. The Fly6 bicycle taillight plus video camera also charged properly, again without doing its usual download of its video files to a connected PC.

I had less luck connecting my Canon 210 scanner - the connection was made, but the scanner did not power up. Again, the real problem is likely that our Chromebook has no compatible driver for the scanner.

As the Amazon description warns, this is a VERY new product, and only a few computers currently even offer USB-C ports. Mine does, but only a minimal operating system for interfacing Mini-B devices.

I suspect this will all change in a year, with both more computers supporting USB-C, and more devices supporting Chromebooks.

Meanwhile, if you have the necessary hardware, this interface cable is well made and does work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20