ARRAY(0x9a9db30c)

Customer Reviews: 342

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Man in the Middle "strasma" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hospitals and Health: Your Orthomolecular Guide to a Shorter, Safer Hospital Stay
by Abram Hoffer
Price: $17.06
17 used & new from $12.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Good info. Overlong, unless you need lots of proof and background., April 13, 2014
I hadn't a clue about the meaning of the word orthomolecular when choosing this book. I just wanted to read something on how to minimize and healthily survive any necessary hospital visits. The book DOES get there, but not until spending the entire first half proving all the reasons you really, really don't want to be there, and really, really don't want to just blindly trust the medical establishment.

The actual advice breaks down to getting plenty of certain vitamins and minerals (especially vitamins A, B and D, in particular formulations, plus Magnesium) - more than the usual RDA (recommended daily amount.) I was impressed with the idea that other mammals already seek more of these than we do, with the explanation of antioxidants as also a major part of daily food for other animals, and the reminder that even the best diagnostic tests yield some false positives.

There are useful tips on how to differentiate good hospitals from bad ones, and some practical tips such as having a friend or relative with you the whole time you are in hospital, making sure you'll be allowed your vitamins and healthy food brought in by visitors while in hospital, and making sure to avoid unnecessary tests and rerun any that give surprising results, especially when they indicate a need for lots of treatment.

All good advice, but took a long time to get there, likely because of felt need to prove each point heavily against opposition by the same sorts who touted the now-infamous food pyramid.

For Honor We Stand (Man of War, Book 2)
For Honor We Stand (Man of War, Book 2)
by H. Paul Honsinger
Price: $8.97
35 used & new from $4.96

4.0 out of 5 stars I put off packing to move to finish this within a day of receiving it, April 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Both my wife and I really enjoyed reading the first book in this trilogy (To Honor You Call Us), so when this second volume arrived yesterday I declared a break in preparing to move cross country and sat down to read. 458 pages and a day later, I'm finished, and glad to have spent much of my free time reading For Honor We Stand. Like the first volume, it's a very interesting war story set in space, but based to some extent on sail-based naval history. It also continues and expands upon the first volume's Muslim good guys, while also fleshing out the beliefs of bad guys who sound a lot like the worst terrorists claiming that faith. Once again, we are left wanting more, with the final volume in the series due out this month (April 2014.)

Apart from military history, traditions and tactics, the book is also a very useful and painless way to learn leadership skills and gain understanding of why people act as they do. And absolutely do not miss the "Three rules of bureaucratic behavior" on page 56.

Sangean DT-210 FM-Stereo/AM PLL Synthesized Pocket Receiver
Sangean DT-210 FM-Stereo/AM PLL Synthesized Pocket Receiver
Offered by DependableResource
Price: $39.48
92 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Only FM radio I've found with a stereo/mono switch for better fringe reception, April 5, 2014
Decades ago, you could get FM radios with a manual Stereo/Mono switch, and could improve reception in fringe areas by setting stereo stations to mono. Now, this is the only radio I'm aware of that can still do this, and it really helps. Trying to bring in 90.1, a Spanish language Christian music station in Irvine, CA to improve my Spanish was very frustrating, as even our car radio couldn't bring it in reliably. This radio could, however, so problem solved!

Elgin 2-Inch LCD Multifunction Alarm with Smartlite
Elgin 2-Inch LCD Multifunction Alarm with Smartlite
Price: $12.15
38 used & new from $10.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a battery digital clock that lights up at night without having to push a button every few seconds!, April 5, 2014
Of all the stuff I've bought from Amazon in recent months, this is my wife's favorite. She's been asking for a clock in the TV room at home, and in our Airstream trailer that lights up at night without having to be plugged in. This one meets that bill completely, in both locations. It runs on 3 standard AA batteries (we use Eneloop rechargeables), and is easy for us to read both day and night.

Ideally, it would be also offered in a wall mount version, but meanwhile, this version is excellent!

Clean Green High-Performance Microfiber Cleaning and Dusting Gloves - 1 Pair
Clean Green High-Performance Microfiber Cleaning and Dusting Gloves - 1 Pair
Price: $6.76
19 used & new from $5.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Great idea!, April 5, 2014
Why dust with a microfiber cloth when you can just wear it as gloves?
We got this on the recommendation of the Long Long Honeymoon Airstream trailer blog, and just put it to heavy use cleaning up a house we'd rented for three months.
The dusting gloves did an excellent job of trapping dust throughout the house, which was filled with knick knacks full of little crannies that would have been difficult to clean any other way. And then we just tossed the gloves in the washer to clean them for re-use.
Highly recommended!

Harold Import 42131 "Stainless Steel" FRY Drainer with Handle 9"
Harold Import 42131 "Stainless Steel" FRY Drainer with Handle 9"
Offered by HomeGoods Plus
Price: $8.89
10 used & new from $6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the plastic drainer it replaced, April 5, 2014
While renting a furnished home this winter, we used and very much liked a plastic pan drainer provided there. In checking Amazon, we found and ordered this similar drainer made from stainless steel. That turned out to be an excellent decision! This drainer is large enough to be used in even a 5 quart pot, much stronger and much more heat tolerant than the plastic one our hosts provided.

My reason for giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is that it's still not quite as sturdy as I'd hoped, and the handle is a bit smaller in diameter than I would prefer.

That said, I'm very glad to have it, and have not yet found another here that I'd order instead.

Griot's Garage 11033 Glass Sealant - 8 oz.
Griot's Garage 11033 Glass Sealant - 8 oz.
Price: $9.04

2.0 out of 5 stars Helps, but sure isn't rain-x, April 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking forward to reviewing this because we had such great luck using Rain-X 800002243-12PK Original Glass Treatment - 7 oz., (Pack of 12) on the same car for a cross-country drive last fall but had left the bottle at home.

Superficially, the two products are similar. Both apply easily, and are easily wiped clear after drying.

There, the similarities end. Although the Griot's Glass Sealant does help rainwater bead on the windshield, the beads are large, and don't easily move themselves out of the field of view. Rain-X, on the other hand, creates a myriad of extremely tiny rainwater beads that all immediately migrate off the windshield, making it unnecessary to even turn on the windshield wipers at highway speeds.

We did notice e Griot's Glass Sealant helped smooth and quiet the motion of the windshield wipers during rain, but there was no chance of leaving the wipers off even in a light mist.

I wonder if perhaps this Griot's product might be better suited for folks wanting a show car windshield to look its absolute best, as opposed to someone like me just looking for an equivalent of Rain-X.

Camco 43542 Bamboo Cutting Board with Finger Hole
Camco 43542 Bamboo Cutting Board with Finger Hole
Price: $10.99
3 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just big enough to be useful, and small enough for use in a travel trailer, March 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Camco is famous for handy gadgets for use when tent or trailer camping, and this cutting board is no exception. It's sturdy and attractive bamboo, with a handy finger hole for holding it in place safely during use, and to hang on a hook for storage afterwards.

Our little Airstream is only 23' from front hitch to rear bumper, so we have to carefully weigh and measure everything we use in it. This cutting board is a keeper! Any smaller, and it wouldn't hold even a banana. Any bigger, and it wouldn't fit in our galley drawer.

We also have another plastic cutting board we like even better, as it is both larger and thinner. But we'll keep and use both, as for safety reasons we don't want to use the same cutting board for both meats and veggies.

Amprobe CO2-100 Handheld Carbon Dioxide Meter
Amprobe CO2-100 Handheld Carbon Dioxide Meter
Price: $282.20
5 used & new from $275.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Immediately useful!, March 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first used this meter today, I expected to have some trouble finding ways to vary the reading, and not to find any actual problems in our current rented home. Not so! As soon as the meter powered up and went through its 30 second warm-up period, it immediately began beeping to warn that our indoor air has over 1,000ppm of carbon dioxide, indicating a possible problem with indoor air quality.

Next step was to recalibrate the meter outdoors. That lowered the reading indoors to the low 900s, still higher than I'd like. Next, I discovered just placing the meter next to the computer on which I'm typing this review set off the alarm again, with a reading above 1,200ppm. (Moving it 2 feet away quickly dropped the reading back to the low 900s again.)

So perhaps that headache my wife had recently might have been triggered or worsened by low indoor air quality. Guess we'll be opening more windows and doors our last week here, and grateful for spring warmth.

As a further test of the meter, I placed it next to our Sodastream carbonator as I carbonated a bottle of tap water. Instant 3,500ppm! Since we carbonate a lot of water, that may go a long way toward explaining our high readings.

In addition to carbon dioxide levels, the meter tests temperature (both Farenheit and Centigrade) and relative humidity, both to the nearest tenth of a percent. It can also indicate the current dewpoint and wet bulb temperatures. The LCD display is large and easy to read, but not lit.

I look forward to testing other locations at home, work and church soon. Meanwhile, this is an easy to use and high quality meter. As another reviewer noted though, don't lose the manual. (If you do, a PDF copy can be downloaded from the Amazon product page.)

The meter comes well packaged in a large black plastic case, and includes a set of 4 AA Rayovac alkaline batteries so the meter can be put to work immediately.

In addition to its usual almost-instantaneous reading, it can be set to provide averaged readings over either 15 minutes or 8 hours. It normally shuts off after 20 minutes, but can be set to remain on for longer tests.

A Rabbit's Tale an Easter Story
A Rabbit's Tale an Easter Story
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Had trouble with the first third, but enjoyed the rest, March 19, 2014
At first, I thought this was going to be one of those awful Christian fiction titles where the bad guy gets all the good lines and luck until magic happens to fix everything right at the end. Fortunately, matters improved about a third of the way in, adding humor and good people working together with good results, making the rest of the book a pleasant interesting read.

I enjoyed that this book was written around Catholic Christian characters.

Despite the Easter bunny theme, this isn't a book for young children.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20