Profile for Man in the Middle > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 488

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Man in the Middle "strasma" RSS Feed (Irvine, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Drive Medical Universal Folding Crutch, Bronze
Drive Medical Universal Folding Crutch, Bronze
Price: $43.44
37 used & new from $38.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the usual aluminum crutch., July 2, 2015
My wife, who recently broke a leg bone, likes these better than the usual aluminum crutches. We were easily able to adjust them to fit her well, and e bronze color looks good, if anyone cares about fashion in a crutch. These are also easier and smaller to stow in our car in use, and when not needed can be made much smaller for storage.

Our only concern is that after less than a month of use, she reports the rubber on the top of the crutch is already cracking.

NeilMed Ear Spin Safe, 0.0625 Pound
NeilMed Ear Spin Safe, 0.0625 Pound
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, July 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Finally, a safe quick way to deal with itchy ears and wax buildup. I've long known we aren't supposed to put anything in our ears, but definitely have not followed that advice. When younger, I used Q-tips to deal with itchy or wax-blocked ears, but eventually figured out those could actually make matters worse by pushing wax up against the ear drum rather than removing it. Next idea: using the temple of my glasses instead, rotating it to entrap and remove excess ear wax. That is definitely not adviseable, but when I had no better alternative did work both for itching and for removal of excess ear wax.

A better solution, and the one used by my doctor, is an ear syringe. First one lies down with the affected ear up and fills the ear canal with carbamide peroxide ear drops, and leave them there until they stop fizzing. Then fill an ear syringe with lukewarm water and squeeze its bulb to jet water into the ear and force out the wax dissolved by the ear drops. That works very well most of the time, especially when wax is on the ear drum itself.
However, I have one ear that sometimes likes to retain such added water, which can't be good. Finishing with Swim-Ear (alcohol drops) displaces the unwanted water with alcohol that quickly dries.

I'm happy another doctor has come up with this idea, as a safer alternative to Q-tips and glasses temples. I used it after swimming today, and found all four tips effective in dealing with itching and helping drain my ears. No noticeable wax came out, but I expect that's because there wasn't much there TO come out.

I'll update after using these longer, but meanwhile, I'm thrilled to have them.

Vermont Maple Back Scratcher - Made in USA (3)
Vermont Maple Back Scratcher - Made in USA (3)
Offered by Maple Landmark
Price: $12.00
2 used & new from $12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An even-better replacement for a no-longer-available bamboo back scratcher, June 29, 2015
I've long been a fan of simple bamboo back scratchers, and have bought them by the dozen as small gifts and to place around our own home. Sadly, the local Asian store no longer sells that model, having replaced it with a plastic version that frankly doesn't work nearly as well.

Hence, our recent order for nine of these (just enough to qualify for free Prime same or next day delivery.)

The key difference in these is that they store more compactly, as they are entirely straight, rather than ending in a curved portion. That lets me slip one conveniently but unobtrusively into such spots as the sleeping area curtain rail in our Airstream trailer.

As for functionality, these back scratchers work differently but just as well as bamboo ones, and far better than plastic or metal alternatives we've tried. The Maple is thick and strong, and the teeth very effective in scratching an itch. This scratcher also looks good, and is quite a conversation starter, as people notice it.

Definitely recommended!

Zing Air Rider Sky Drone Toy
Zing Air Rider Sky Drone Toy
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Think of a flying top, June 29, 2015
This review is from: Zing Air Rider Sky Drone Toy (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toy is basically a top in reverse. Rather than spinning on the floor, it spins through the air. I was surprised how well it did so. Just smoothly pull the self-retracting cord, and off the flying ring goes, hovering on the ceiling indoors or reaching a good altitude outdoors (though nowhere near the claimed 80+ feet up for us.) It can also be aimed, though we were more successful at sending it toward each other than in getting it to return like a boomerang. The flying ring is light enough to be caught by hand without discomfort, making it somewhat like a Frisbee.

Overall, a long way from a drone, but enjoyable and easy to use for any youth or adult able to master pulling its string strongly and smoothly.

Mexican Humor 201
Mexican Humor 201
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny and instructive, but definitely for adults, June 29, 2015
This review is from: Mexican Humor 201 (Kindle Edition)
My Spanish is getting good enough to carry on a short conversation and communicate needed information. I even found myself dreaming in Spanish several nights last week while volunteering in Baja California. However, it still isn't good enough to catch most of the jokes I hear in Spanish language church services. To fix that, I decided to buy this book.

And therein lies its only fault - very few of these jokes could be told in church. The author seems to go out of his way to be sure we learn all the colloquial terms used for swearing and body parts rarely mentioned in church. (My favorite definition of a good preacher is that they are able to talk about sex in church without using any bad words or offending anyone.)

That said, I expect the author expected these jokes to be told in more bars than churches, and I really liked the way he not only told each joke in both languages, but also included extra notes as necessary to be sure puns and other difficult concepts are communicated clearly.

LG Electronics BP550 Blu-Ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)
LG Electronics BP550 Blu-Ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)
Price: Click here to see our price
12 used & new from $63.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much smaller, faster and more flexible than our 2010 Blu-Ray player, June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This new Blu-Ray player is amazingly improved over our 2010 model Samsung 1080p player. About half the overall size, much faster to control (no long waits for menu choices to be processed), and many more built-in apps for accessing premium on-line content.

Playing regular DVD or Blu-Ray discs through this works fine, and all look great on our 1080p TV. What turned out to be the killer app for us is that this player supports Amazon Prime Video. That's very timely, as we just this month lost the ability to play Amazon movies through our Tivo HD, and never could through our other Blu-Ray player.

I also appreciate the ability to connect this player to the Internet via either wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Both work fine for us.

I expected to keep the Samsung player for use with our Samsung LED TV, because they communicate automatically for such tasks as starting the TV when we insert a DVD, but I was wrong. My wife strongly prefers this player, so the Samsung has now been retired.

Thanks to Amazon Prime through this player and our new Amazon Basics TV antenna, our cable TV service can also be retired, saving us $25 a month.

Our unit arrived fully updated, and has not had any problems with skips or locking up as noted by some earlier reviews.

All in all, we are extremely pleased with this player. Highly recommended!

Nikon 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (Black)
Nikon 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (Black)
Price: $496.95
8 used & new from $439.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed surprisingly often on a recent trip, and came through beatifully for me., June 29, 2015
I was surprised on a trip to Mexico last week how often I needed the added width of this lens, even though its range partially overlaps that of the standard 10-30mm Nikon 1 J4 zoom lens. For instance, sitting in the front row of a Kindergarten graduation, I was still able to fit ALL of the kindergarteners into my photos of them. Similarly, when I needed to take a photo of a building that is behind an ugly chain link fence, I was able to stand just inside the fence and still see the entire building with this lens.

Surprisingly, it was also handy to be able to zoom this lens in for subjects that did not need quite so much of a wide angle.

The resulting photos from this lens also turned out extremely well. Definitely recommended!

Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips, Kool Ranch, 4 Count
Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips, Kool Ranch, 4 Count

2.0 out of 5 stars Right stuff. Wrong taste (for me at least), June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted to like these Kale chips, as all the ingredients except cane sugar are healthy, they are almost-entirely organic (all but the sea salt, though I fail to see how salt could be made organic), and they are prepared at low heat to preserve nutrients. In short, this is what I SHOULD be eating as a snack, instead of almost everything else in that aisle of any grocery store.

Sadly, even though I love ranch dressing, and like kale in salads and smoothies, I just don't like the taste or after-taste of these chips. Some other reviewers do, though, so you may want to give them a try anyway.

Fiskars 61 Inch Long-Handle Aluminum Hoe (336500-1001)
Fiskars 61 Inch Long-Handle Aluminum Hoe (336500-1001)
Price: $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The only garden hoe I've ever used just for fun, June 13, 2015
This garden hoe is very light and comfortable to use. It is also VERY effective at cutting off surface weeds. Each day since it arrived a week ago, I've found myself happily clearing another section of the walkways at our community garden, figuring if I get the weeds there, I won't have to get them later in my own garden plot. I did manage to get a small blister with it yesterday, after an hour of use, but reflected afterwards that I would never have used any other garden hoe for an hour just for fun.
My one wish is that it had a way to telescope down for storage, as it's shorter than many garden hoes, but still too long to fit in the storage box in my garden plot like my shovel and pitchfork. I'm hoping its blade won't rust from being stored outside (the handle is aluminum.)
Recommended!

Makita XPH06Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2" Hammer Driver Drill (Tool-Only)
Price: $119.00
15 used & new from $73.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly improved over my previous Makita 18V hammer drill, June 13, 2015
I already had and loved an 18v Makita hammer drill, but since I only use it once a month at most, always found all three of its NiMH batteries drained as I went to use it. Plus, we are downsizing, and wanted to get down to needing only one charger - preferably the one we already have for our other Makita lithium-Ion vacuum cleaner and leaf blower.
On arrival, I was please to note this new drill is much smaller and lighter than its predecessor, as are the batteries it uses compared to those used before. This new drill also adds a handy LED light on the work, while not giving up any of the previous features I loved.
The older drill will now go to a new home at an orphanage where we serve in Mexico. There, it will be used and charged daily by their carpenters and mechanics.
Highly recommended!