Profile for golf gal > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

golf gal "gourmet in training" RSS Feed (Knoxville,Tennessee, USA)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Price: $7.00
314 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars here is where to get "I'll Fly Away" - the missing song, November 25, 2005
as many other reviewers have noted, this soundtrack is great, but only gets 4 stars as it is missing the best song in the film, which is the correct film version of "I'll Fly Away" by the Kossoy Sisters - you can get the missing original song in the film by doing a search on amazon for "Best of The Bluegrass Tradition" - the box set (a steal at 19.98) it includes their entire 1956 album of angelic songs + 2 more great bluegrass CD's - that song really completes this important soundtrack, Gillian Welch & Alison Krauss do a respectable cover on this soundtrack, but it just cannot hold a candle to the 1956 Kossoy Sisters version used in the film --- little known fact: the Kossoy sisters went to see the film 47 years after they performed the song at age 17 back in 1956, and had no idea it was used in the film! - can you imagine the shock that must have been, hearing a song you did 47 years before and having no idea it was in a film you are watching?

Bowling Green
Bowling Green
19 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars this album is back in print in a box set elsewhere on amazon, November 25, 2005
This review is from: Bowling Green (Audio CD)
this album is out of print by itself, but the good news is that it is now available as part of a low cost 3 CD box set, which is an even better value, because you get this album plus 2 more old great Tradition label bluegrass CD's all together for 19.98, search amazon music for 'Best of The Bluegrass Tradition' - how cool is that?

Best of The Bluegrass Tradition
Best of The Bluegrass Tradition
18 used & new from $18.91

5.0 out of 5 stars here is the real version of I'll Fly Away!! - (O Brother, Where Art Thou?), November 25, 2005
If you were disappointed with the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack not having the accurate version of "I'll Fly Away" by the Kossoy Sisters, as heard in the actual film, then you are in luck! The genuine film version in included in this 3 CD set. Many folks (including me) would have paid this much just to get that one song which is not on the film soundtrack CD, with this box set, you get the whole Kossoy Sisters Bowling Green album (recorded 1959) from whence the song used in the film came, and not only that, you get 2 more great old Tradition bluegrass albums to boot, this is an unbelievable value for scarcely more than the price of a single CD - not to mention that the Kossoy Sisters album included is now out of print - just incredible!

Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About
Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About
by Kevin Trudeau
2320 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars a sucker is born every minute -- a fool and his money are soon parted, August 8, 2005
former used-car salesman Kevin Trudeau has no medical training. He's a convicted felon. And he has been banned from hawking products and services on TV that federal regulators charge have no merit. why would you give him your money? if you decide to buy this obvious con man's book, please see a mental health professional as soon as possible!

Plantronics CT12 2.4 GHz DSS Cordless Headset Phone with Caller ID
Plantronics CT12 2.4 GHz DSS Cordless Headset Phone with Caller ID

5.0 out of 5 stars Product of the year!!, June 25, 2005
All I can say is Wow!

I first found this headset telephone by going backwards. After having many cordless telephones, and getting a constant neck ache, I decided I wanted to get a telephone with a headset option. But every telephone I bought, it seemed like the headset was an afterthought. So I set out to learn who made the world's premier quality headset, and I was going to then try to find a telephone that would adapt to it. I had heard that Plantronics was the world leader in high-end headsets, so I thought I would see what they had that would fit a cordless phone.

To my surprise, after a quick search on amazon, I discovered they were making a headset with the cordless phone integrated, so I was very excited and quickly ordered it.

When it arrived, I was immediately impressed with the fit & finish, I charged up for 18 hours, then started making calls. It was the system I had be dreaming of, finally a cordless phone that was totally hands free, but with no sacrifice in voice quality!

I must have made 200 calls the first week, I could not believe how good this was and how little it cost.

BUT THE STORY GETS BETTER:

After 5 months, I was still ecstatic over how well this unit worked, and how tough it was, the first time I dropped it, I was scared to death I had broken the most wonderful thing I had bought in years, but it was fine, then I dropped it again not 2 hours later! (I'm very clumsy) and again, I must have dropped it over 100 times those first 5 months! This thing is built like a tank! It was still a perfect as the day it arrived.

then tragedy struck, I was walking through my home office too fast, and I tripped & fell, I caught the headset cord on a chair and ripped the wiring out of the headset (OK, I am reaalllly clumsy)

So, I called Plantronics, and told them "I ripped the wires out of this headset, I will need to order a new headset to replace the one I ruined, how much?"

They said, "it's covered under warranty for one year, just tell us the model number and we will send a new one out, in advance"

I said "No, you don't understand, I broke it myself via negligence, my fault"

they said "we cover the unit for 1 year, even if you abused it and broke it, we cover it no matter what"

I could not believe it, what a company! -- they sent a unit out via UPS next day air! - before I even sent the one I broke back!

I just ordered 3 more, I cannot believe such a great product, built like a tank, with fantastic ergonomics and voice quality is backed by a such an unbelievably customer driven company!

I did not think there was still an example of this in America. It is not only the best product I have ever bought at Amazon, it is the best company I have dealt with in many years!

Plantronics - you ROCK!

Calphalon Classic Nonstick 13-by-20-Inch Rectangular Griddle
Calphalon Classic Nonstick 13-by-20-Inch Rectangular Griddle

4.0 out of 5 stars good, but be advised!, March 22, 2005
This is a nice griddle, however, be advised of a couple of things:

1. the box, nor the griddle, NOWHERE say this is a part of the COMMERCIAL NONSTICK line, therefore you have no guarantee of the legendary LRS3 commercial nonstick coating being used to build it. This seems deceptive to sell this as "Commercial Nonstick", when nowhere is the word "commercial" to be found, and it is made in China, which could be just fine, or maybe not. It would be nice if Amazon just called this "nonstick", which is what the box says, or else get Calphalon to use correct nomenclature on their boxes, if it is really the Commercial Nonstick line. This is important, because I previously bought a set of baking pans that Amazon advertised as "Commercial Nonstick" and the coating quickly flaked off when the jelly roll pan was used at 400 degrees, which is not even very hot for that type of pan. (although these did not even have ANY name on the back of the pan!)

I have used the REAL Calphalon Commercial Nonstick at 450 for years with no problem, including some pieces made in China, however those said "Commercial" on the box. So, to summarize, this ~may~ be the LRS3 commercial nonstick coating or may not be, but someone at Calphalon needs to decide what this is, and Calphalon and their biggest customer Amazon need to get together and get their box and description to jive.

2. also, be aware that this griddle cannot be used in most ovens anyway, because IT WON'T FIT! I was hoping that this griddle might make a good roasting pan for vegetables, fish, etc, but the 13" x 20" advertised size makes it easy to not realize that the handle-to-handle dimension is 23" across rather than the 20" as described, meaning it will not fit into a 22" wide standard oven whatsoever. This fact could also be made more clear in the Amazon description. Alton Brown says in his book that he once had a catering job disaster when he realized a similar pan would not fit in the standard oven available, due to the wide handles, so I don't feel quite so dumb....I apparently am in some very esteemed company!

so for $39, it is a quite a nicely made griddle, but don't believe that this is necessarily the "commercial" Calphalon line, we have exactly ZERO evidence to support that, and even the Calphalon factory website does not acknowledge the existence of this particular griddle (even though Amazon says it is a "new arrival") It is, however, based on the hard-anodized Calphalon aluminum, so heat distribution should be great.

American Mensa Guide To Casino Gambling: Winning Ways
American Mensa Guide To Casino Gambling: Winning Ways
by Andrew Brisman
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book ever on gambling, May 12, 2002
I read so many gambling strategy books, and many of them are full of baloney. This is the only one you need to get all of the mathematically best strategies for any casino game, and which games to avoid at all costs (which is most of them!)
After owning this book, I can now give the other 30 gambling books I own to charity, this is the only one you need to cut through all the BS in the gaming world, it is comprehensive!
Also, the reader that thought this book has a Mensa attitude is hallucinating, this author strikes me as humble & shrewd!

Office Space (Widescreen Edition)
Office Space (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Ron Livingston
Price: $6.99
230 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I can watch this film 100 times and it's still great!, January 20, 2002
if you have ever felt frustrated in your job, order this DVD and you will immediately start feeling better!!
I have over 1100 DVD's and this has to be in the top 5
trivia: even Jennifer Anniston was good in this movie (I never thought I would utter her name and good in the same sentence)