Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Kevin Hogan > Reviews

Kevin Hogan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Hogan RSS Feed (Anaheim, CA)

CyberPower CSP604U Surge Protector  6-AC Outlets with 2 USB Charging Ports (2.1A) 4-Ft Cord
CyberPower CSP604U Surge Protector 6-AC Outlets with 2 USB Charging Ports (2.1A) 4-Ft Cord
Price: $14.44
58 used & new from $14.44

2.0 out of 5 stars Outlet Spacing Makes This Strip a Loser, February 16, 2015
Thanks to this outlet strip's built-in USB ports, you may gain the equivalent of a plug (or two) by not having to plug in a USB charger -- but then you get that taken right back from you thanks to the narrowly-spaced, side-by-side arrangement of the AC sockets. Let's not even talk about wide and chunky AC adapters -- I have problems plugging in two 'normal' two prong plugs side-by-side if the plug housings are *just* a little too wide. Choose poorly, and you've reduced your six-socket strip down to an effective three sockets. You might as well just buy a three-socket wall tap from Home Depot and save yourself fifteen bucks. Were it not for the USB capability, this would be a one-star review.

Melissa & Doug Wooden Bear Family Dress-Up Puzzle
Melissa & Doug Wooden Bear Family Dress-Up Puzzle
Price: $13.00
57 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value For Your Puzzling Dollar, May 29, 2011
Our puzzle-mad son (age 2.5) loves, loves, LOVES this puzzle -- he'll endlessly swap around the three bears' outfits and facial expressions, all the while commenting on their moods ("Sad! Happy!") and wardrobe choices ("blue sweater!"). We gave this same puzzle to a slightly older friend (3-ish), and she uses the three bears to tell stories, swapping out pieces to support the plot as she goes along.

The only issue with this puzzle is that when we first gave it to our son (as a 2nd birthday present), he was too young to grasp that the pieces weren't interchangeable between the bears, leading to frustration when he tried to put Mamma Bear's head or blouse on Baby Bear's body. We put the puzzle up on the shelf for a few more months, took it down again, and had no more problems.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For The Squirrely, May 29, 2011
As a *concept*, the CARES harness is great. If you were going on a plane trip with your child and knew that their carseat wouldn't be needed at the destination, who *wouldn't* want to replace it with protection that's lightweight and easily packed in the outer pocket of a rolling bag or backpack?

In practice, though, we found the CARES harness lacking. The biggest flaw wasn't the harness itself, but the lap belt that it depends upon. Unlike the Fastex buckles in most carseat harnesses, which are enough to confound a toddler, our son quickly figured out that he could undo his lap belt with a single-handed grab-and-flip action. Oops! My wife or I then spent the rest of the flight with one hand around the buckle of our son's lap belt so that he couldn't undo it in an unguarded moment. The other flaw of this harness is that it assumes an upright posture. If your child slides down a little, he's got buckles pressing into either side of his head and a chest buckle at his chin and neck. If your child slides down a *lot*, he's out of the harness (as other reviewers have noted). When we weren't trying to keep our son from undoing the lap belt, we were pulling him upright again and again.

As I said, the concept is great -- we'll be giving the CARES harness another try when our son is a little older and is (hopefully) more compliant and better able to take direction. But for now, we all fly a lot more happily with the carseat. As much as I'd prefer to leave it at home, the peace that it brings to a transcontinental flight makes its bulk worth it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

CableWholesale's USB 2.0 ABCD Switch Box, 4 PC to 1 USB 2.0 Device (Printer, Scanner, etc...)
Offered by CablesOnline
Price: $15.20
4 used & new from $14.21

2.0 out of 5 stars They Aren't Kidding About Sharing A Single Device..., March 6, 2011
The description for this switch says that it's for sharing "a single device", and in my experience, boy, they're not kidding. I tried using it to share a keyboard and trackball between three different computers (2 PCs, both running Windows 7, and a Mac). I plugged the keyboard and trackball into a hub, and then plugged the hub into the switch. The Windows PCs reported that I'd plugged in a malfunctioning "unknown device"; the Mac didn't recognize that I'd plugged in anything at all. Needless to say, neither the keyboard or the trackball worked. Thinking that it was the hub, I tried a few other hubs I had laying around (2 powered, one unpowered) with the switch, and got the same results -- my hubs were either defective and unknown, or simply not recognized. If I skipped the switch and plugged the hubs directly into a computer, they worked fine. If I skipped the hub and plugged the keyboard or trackball directly into the switch, I could type or mouse to my heart's content -- but not do both, because as promised, the switch apparently only works with ONE device.

If you just want to share a printer, I guess that this switch would work fine. If you're hoping (like me) to combine this switch with a DVI switch to cobble together a cheapo "homemade" KVM, buyer beware.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2011 1:09 PM PST

Outdoor Products La Guardia Rolling Travel Bag, Graphite
Outdoor Products La Guardia Rolling Travel Bag, Graphite
Price: $72.00
7 used & new from $50.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Bag vs. United Airlines: Fatality!, December 23, 2009
This bag *looks* tough and well-constructed (and is definitely roomy), but I began to have misgivings about its longevity when I pulled it off of the carousel after its first flight and noticed the heavy scuffing gouging into the surface of the fabric. It then did okay for two weeks of travel -- being pulled on and off of trains and taxis, rolling a few blocks to the next hotel, etc. -- but it was the Chicago-LA leg of the flight home that killed it off. It arrived with one of the end pockets hanging open -- the zipper was still there, but the zipper head had been pulled completely off the teeth and was nowhere to be seen. Good thing that we hadn't packed anything in that pocket! At this price, I expect a bag to last longer than two weeks; if I wanted disposable luggage, I'd shop at Wal-Mart.

The Man with the Iron Heart
The Man with the Iron Heart
by Harry Turtledove
Price: $12.85
87 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and Repetitive, October 5, 2009
I've been slogging through this book and am reaching the point where I'm either going to give up or skip to the end to see if anything actually reaches some kind of resolution. The book's basic structure intercuts between the same set of characters -- I'm sure that Turtledove did this to make the book seem EXCITING! and DYNAMIC!, but instead it's an endless loop of the same things happening again and again:

1) Nazi partisans carry out brazen and daring attack that is totally unopposed and completely successful! (Okay, so they're not always *completely* successful -- for example [SPOILER], instead of blowing up the Eiffel Tower and dropping it on an adjacent bridge, they succeed in merely bringing down the tower instead. Bummer!)
2) Cut to Heydrich, safe far below ground in his salt-mine redoubt, who is discussing newspaper articles about the daring attack with Klein, his driver/bodyguard/batman. (One is led to wonder how Heydrich is the mastermind behind a giant network of saboteurs despite apparently having no human contact beyond Klein and the invisible hand who keeps bringing his newspapers.)
3) Cut to an American counter-intelligence officer, who, rather than going out into the field and doing useful counter-intelligence work, is discussing newspaper articles about the daring attack (and trading Yiddish bon mots) with his superior officer.
4) Cut to a Soviet counter-intelligence officer, who, rather than going out into the field and doing useful counter-intelligence work, discusses current events with his superior officer and rounds up random Germans for 'interrogation'/murder/deportation.
5) Cut to a misguided American mother who, after her son is killed by the Nazi partisans, becomes an anti-war activist. Journalists and craven politicians cooperate with her to further their careers instead of Doing What Is Right.
6) Someone observes how easy German women are.
7) Someone observes how Soviet soldiers are a bunch of rapists.

and then back to step 1), again. For hundreds of pages.