Profile for S. Phillips > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 94

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

S. Phillips RSS Feed (Las Vegas, NV United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Bubble 3-D [Blu-ray]
The Bubble 3-D [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Michael Cole
Price: $22.99
23 used & new from $18.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful 3-D restoration of little known sci-fi gem. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, December 1, 2014
This review is from: The Bubble 3-D [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have a soft spot for this film, which is responsible for starting a life-long passion for 3-D cinema. I had been fascinated by View Master reels prior, but nothing prepared my ten year old self for the thrill of seeing this on the big screen in the 1976 re-issue under the title "Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth".

A friend had gone to see it, and showed me the polarized glasses he brought home from the theater. He described how "things really came off the screen at you" and I didn't rest until I got to see it. I wasn't disappointed; the realism and great depth of the images were mesmerizing and the gimmick shots really did "come into the audience". I was vaguely aware that the film was a decade or so old at that point and that the dialogue was silly ("What's childbirth? Nothing but a sexy bellyache") and it moved a bit slowly at times, but I didn't care. I was hooked on 3-D for life.

The film has grown on me each time I've seen it, even in previous presentations, but the new Blu-ray restoration from Kino and the 3-D Film Archive is so good; it made me feel like I was that ten year old again. Absolutely perfect alignment, extremely deep images, nicely cleaned up video, and best of all, those "off the screen" gimmicks still deliver! This film blows any modern 3-D movie out of the water. If you've been craving "popout" as the kids these days seem to insist on calling it, this is the one to get.

I also appreciated the value added material like a wonderful essay by Bob Furmanek on the history of the film's production and distribution, the screenplay excerpts, trailers and a restoration comparison which shows the miracle that Greg Kintz, Technical Director of the 3-D Film Archive, has achieved, The 3-D transfer here is so good, I really wish the studios and Blu-ray companies would take note and hire the 3-D Film Archive folks to supervise their dimensional discs. A flat version is also included, but I will never bother with that!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Dragonfly Squadron [Blu-ray]
Dragonfly Squadron [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Dragonfly Squadron
Offered by Movies Movies
Price: $17.99
26 used & new from $15.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice restoration is a must buy for 3-D fans and classic film lovers, October 18, 2014
I never thought I would ever get to see this film in the original 3-D format, let alone own a Blu-ray copy. Thankfully, the 3-D archive has rescued this Korean War drama from obscurity with a very nice restoration. It doesn't look like the latest Playstation 4 game nor one of the digital prequels to "Star Wars", and I am thankful for that. Too often DNR tools are overused and end up robbing these old movies of their intended look. I can easily overlook a few minor flaws inherent in the rare elements utilized and anyone with realistic expectations should be able to as well.

What we do get is a very deep stereoscopic image (unlike so many of today's so called 3-D movies, many of which are far too "flat" looking), which has been restored and aligned to look better than I thought possible. The film looked great at the World 3-D Film Expo III and it is even better here. The 3-D Archive has achieved better results as far as the 3-D alignment than the major studios have with some of their Blu-ray 3D releases. The depth really adds to the enjoyment of the film, though a 2-D flat option is also included for those without the necessary equipment.

This is an important release (hopefully the first of many) and is a must buy for any 3-D fan and those that enjoy classic films.

Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon [Blu-ray]
Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Mark Chao
Price: $14.97
25 used & new from $6.46

2.0 out of 5 stars Native 3-D film presented in flat 2-D form only, February 16, 2014
It is too bad the US release contains only the flat 2-D version, as this was shot in excellent 3-D and really needs to be seen in the intended format to be appreciated, as the film is pretty gimmicky and all that is lost when flattened out.Order the import version instead. I liked the original film better but this one is a lot of fun,

Verdi: Aida (Blu Ray) [Blu-ray]
Verdi: Aida (Blu Ray) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Marco Berti
Price: $22.49
20 used & new from $17.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent production, great blu-ray, January 9, 2014
This production was very good; I haven't seen much opera but it held my interest. I recommend watching the 3-D version if you have the equipment, as it added a lot and made it seem like I had a front row seat.

The Invisible Man: Complete Series [Blu-ray]
The Invisible Man: Complete Series [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ *
Offered by VEI
Price: $9.99
14 used & new from $8.10

1.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray version is a disaster, June 20, 2012
The blu-ray version should be avoided at all costs. All episodes are on one disc (and I guess I could live with that) but even worse is that this 1976 4X3 series has been cropped and/or stretched to fill 16 X 9 screens. The pilot appears to be streched while the other episodes are cropped. Why they thought any fan of a 1976 TV series would want see a butchered version like this is beyond me. A major error in judgement for a product marketed to classic TV fans.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2012 12:54 PM PDT

Sony TDGBR750 Titanium 3D Active Glasses (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Sony TDGBR750 Titanium 3D Active Glasses (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
8 used & new from $94.00

5.0 out of 5 stars much improved performance on Sony 3D TVs, April 11, 2012
These are so light you forget you are wearing them. They are much more comfortable than previous generations. The most improved thing however is that they really do reduce the amount of flicker (and resulting eyestrain) seen when watching Blu-ray 3D content. I never understood why Sony's 3D TVs suffer from this issue so much more than other brands, but these glasses help a great deal. If you have a Sony set, these are worth it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:22 AM PDT

Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes
Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes
by Andrew E. C. Gaska
Price: $18.82
59 used & new from $6.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written page turner, faithful to the original concept, August 10, 2011
Apparently the first in a series of books that will fill in the blanks between the scenes in the original APES series; this is great fun. I was skeptical, but this is well worth reading. I look forward to further installments, I'd especially like to read a story that takes place in between the events of ESCAPE and CONQUEST and between CONQUEST AND BATTLE. There is so much left untold in the films themselves..

Very well produced hardbound book with excellent painted illustrations.

LG Infinia 47LW5600 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses (2011 Model)
2 used & new from $797.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent passive 3-D set., April 11, 2011
The passive 3-D works quite well, but you will want to be eye level with the set. (No above the fireplace mounting here) There is almost no ghosting at all, even on content which contains crosstalk on my 3-D plasma. Resolution IS reduced (I can easily tell) but it isn't that bad and as long as you sit far enough away from the set, you won't see scan lines. The 3-D from blu-ray 3D is bright and of course the polarized glasses are lightweight and easily replaceable. Directv's 3-D channels are bit softer on this set but still acceptable.

Is it as good as my active 3-D set? Not quite, as the active has better picture quality, but the passive set comes out on top even over the plasma as far as lack of ghosting/crosstalk goes. I think most casual 3-D viewers would be quite pleased. 2-D to 3-D conversion is probably the best I've seen also, though I would rarely use this feature.

I wouldn't call active obsolete (after all, 3-D content works on either kind of set, just as you can choose between LCD, plasma or DLP, you can choose active or passive) but if they can get the resolution to be better (full 1080p in both eyes) I would expect the market to go in the passive direction.

2-D picture is excellent, and the various apps and internet features are well executed.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2015 4:38 PM PST

Xpand 3D IR 3d Glasses single 1 pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Xpand 3D IR 3d Glasses single 1 pack (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Park Deals
Price: $36.99
27 used & new from $16.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ! Work with most any brand of 3-D set, February 17, 2011
I've used my Xpand 103s with Samsung, Sony and Panasonic sets. They work great with all of them. It's easy to change the brand configuration, just a simple button. Recommended.

Aiptek Portable 3D Photo and Video Display (Black)
Aiptek Portable 3D Photo and Video Display (Black)
Price: $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no glasses 3-D performance, November 16, 2010
Yes, it does exist, and it works very well. I am very pleased with this; it is simple to use and the 3-D effect on both stills and video I've shot with the Aiptek camera is great. If this is a hint of what is coming in the autostereoscopic department, then maybe there really is hope for glasses free 3-D TVs someday. Sure, you have to be directly in front of the screen for it to work, but it's not a big deal really. It's far more impressive than the smaller screen on the camera.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2011 6:18 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10