Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Paul Murray > Reviews

Browse

Paul Murray's Profile

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Murray RSS Feed (Detroit, MI United States)

Maxell NB-303F Folding Stereo Neckband Headphone
Maxell NB-303F Folding Stereo Neckband Headphone

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, July 1, 2010
Bought these a few years ago, then didn't use them immediately. A few nights ago I finally opened the package and pulled them out. I went to put them on and SNAP, the headband broke at the hinge in the middle. Not "came apart but was able to snap together" -- permanently broken. So I can't tell you anything about how good they sound or how comfortable they are, because they didn't last long enough to put on the first time. Hence the title of my review.

And while the package claims that they have a lifetime warranty, the "details inside" say it's for 90 days. Gee, nothing deceptive there!

Offhand, I can't recall a less satisfactory experience with any product that I have ever purchased. Good-bye forever, Maxell.

You might consider the Philips SHS8200/37 Compact Foldable Behind-The-Head Headphone instead. I've been using these at work and am happy with them.

Cold Turkey: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Cold Turkey: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

5.0 out of 5 stars The disc I've waited 25 years for., August 21, 2008
The movie Cold Turkey was my first exposure to any of Randy Newman's work. I loved the faux Copland/Americana score he wrote for it, and when I was in college in the early 1980's I bought Sail Away because it had "He Gives Us All His Love." That disc didn't have any of the soundtrack music I was originally looking for, but it started me down the path that has made him one of my favorite composer/singer/songwriters. While one track from Cold Turkey did turn up on the Guilty: 30 Years of Randy Newman box set, I'd pretty much given up on the complete score.

Twenty-five years later, I'm searching Amazon for his discs and I stumbled across this. Stunned, I ordered it immediately ... and it was well worth it.

If you've not seen Cold Turkey (and you should, watch for it on Turner Classic Movies), the closest musical comparisons I can make are to his scores for The Natural (1984 Film) and Ragtime (1981 Film Soundtrack). This being a comedy, the score's tone is lighter than for those films. (I suspect that Leatherheads might be comparable too, but I haven't heard it yet.)

The packaging is superb, with a booklet that includes color photos and interesting notes. As noted above, the disc is 49:39 in length, including a handful of bonus tracks that were unused. The sound quality is very good, especially for a recording almost 40 years old.

Highly recommended for fans of Randy Newman's soundtrack works.

PREMIUM BLACK HORIZONTAL LEATHER POUCH SIDE HORIZONTAL CASE (With Belt Clip) for PALM TREO 600, 650, 680, 700, 700WX, 750, 755P, CENTRO / HTC 6800 MOGUL XV6700, WING, P4350, 8525 TYTN HERMES, MDA 8100 8125, 8925 TILT

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and effective, January 12, 2008
After having clip-on cellphone cases continually fall, or swivel upside down so the phone falls out by itself, I was determined to find one that had belt loops and a cover. Getting a new phone -- a Palm Centro, my first smartphone -- made this critical. This one has belt loops (and a clip, for those who prefer it) and a cover held in place by a magnet.

Most of the cases I found were $20 and more. This one was roughly half that price, including shipping. I've had it for almost a month now and am quite pleased.

Technocel Swivel Belt Holster For Samsung SCH 800/811/850/8500
Technocel Swivel Belt Holster For Samsung SCH 800/811/850/8500

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit the SCH-8500, March 4, 2005
Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, this holster did not fit my Samsung SCH-8500 phone. It may work fine with the other phones, but not with that one.

Best of Randy Newman
Best of Randy Newman
Price: $6.99
91 used & new from $2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars No copy protection on mine, December 15, 2003
This review is from: Best of Randy Newman (Audio CD)
34 of 40 people found the following review helpful:
This CD is wonderful. I already owned most of his music, but picked this up for the convenience of having so many great songs on one disc.
As for what agildehaus reports about not being able to play or copy it on a computer ... I've had no problems doing either. I suppose it's possible that some copies were protected and others not. All I can tell you is that my copy does not appear to be protected.
So are you ever coming back to play in Detroit, Randy? :)

Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 / Overtures / Violin Concerto
Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1-9 / Overtures / Violin Concerto
5 used & new from $19.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recordings, weak packaging, October 16, 2003
Bernstein's set of Beethoven symphonies was one of the first I heard as a teenager, so I have a sentimental spot for these recordings and decided to buy them on CD when I found them at an attractive price. I am not a musician, but I do enjoy classical music very much.
What's good about this set:
The performances are very good. Note that Bernstein takes the 1st movement of No. 5 slower than some (8:35 to complete); that's not a negative, but something you should be aware of. The recordings date from 1959-1970. A little hiss is audible on the oldest (the violin concerto), but not annoyingly so. I have heard that Bernstein drove recording engineers nuts by demanding that they crank up the bass to overcome the limitations of LPs; that seems to have been corrected.
What's bad about this set:
The track listings and printing on the CDs are off. The disc with Nos. 6 & 8 is labeled as having Nos. 6 & 5. The final movement of No. 9 is divided into two tracks (the split occurs when the singers enter), but none of the listings indicate this. That's sloppy work on Sony's part. The booklet contains nothing but the track listings and recording dates and locations -- there are no liner notes or essays of any kind, which I found disappointing. "Limited edition box set" suggests care and attention to detail that I think this set lacks when it comes to packaging. Finally, I think Sony has priced the set a bit high, especially given the weak packaging. I paid considerably less through a record club and feel that I received good value (my rating reflects this); I would feel less so at the price shown here as I write this. After all, you can buy Herbert von Karajan's first set from DG -- an acclaimed set of recordings dating from the same era (on five discs, with no overtures or violin concerto) -- for roughly half the price right here at Amazon.