Profile for R. Fortson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Fortson RSS Feed (Houston, TX)

Page: 1 | 2
Tissot Heritage Navigator Silver Dial Brown Leather Mens Watch T0786411603700
Tissot Heritage Navigator Silver Dial Brown Leather Mens Watch T0786411603700
Offered by DB Time
Price: $1,086.70
8 used & new from $1,030.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch, true world time for a bargain price, June 25, 2015
Beautiful watch, true world time for a bargain price. Well made and chronometer-certified movement. It's a little large at 43mm with the large bezel, but is thin and comfortable to wear. Nice deployant clasp gives it an elegant touch.

You won't find an equivalent watch for under $2000. Well worth the price for a Swiss watch from a respected brand with a long history.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Seiko 5 Black Dial Stainless Steel World Cities Ladies Watch SRP367
Seiko 5 Black Dial Stainless Steel World Cities Ladies Watch SRP367
Offered by K.G. Company
Price: $196.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mid-sized automatic with world time bezel, March 10, 2015
Bought this for my wife as she deals with multiple time zones for work. She loves it and wears it often. My one complaint is that the world time bezel is much to tight to easily rotate, which I believe is a slight (and easily correctable) defect in this specific watch, but my wife doesn't mind and doesn't want me to have it fixed. Other than this, it's a well-made automatic watch from Seiko. Easily worth the money.

To the other reviewer complaining about the size, it's not a large watch, but it is not tiny. I think it's 35mm which is a small man's watch or a medium sized woman's watch.

Infiland HP Stream 7 Tablet Bluetooth Keyboard Case Cover - Folio Slim Fit PU Leather Case with Wireless Removable Bluetooth Keyboard +Free OTG Cable,Black
Offered by Infiland LLC
Price: $59.95
2 used & new from $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case and worth the price even if you only use it occasionally, December 15, 2014
Nice case and keyboard. OTG USB cable is a nice little extra. Case and keyboard work as advertised. However, when all are carried together, it makes for a thick package. Smaller than a laptop, but still pretty chunky. Part of this is due to the already thick profile of the Stream 7, so it's no fault of Infiland.

For meetings and note taking, this is pretty handy, and you can't beat the price. I'm glad I bought it even though I'll only use it infrequently.

HTC Desire Eye leather case (Black) Anoke? Stand Slim Flip PU Leather Cover Soft Back Case Shell Compatible for HTC Desire Eye (Mofi Black)
Offered by AnoKe
Price: $6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome case, great value, December 9, 2014
Well made, snug fit, good protection. Black leather (?) gives it a professional look. Amazing value for the price. I'd definitely recommend this.

UPDATE - seems like this case isn't fully compatible with the camera flash, causing a flare on the side of the picture from flash reflecting off the case cutout back into the lens. Photos without flash are not affected.

Orient DE00002W Men's Retrograde Automatic White Dial Stainless Steel Power Reserve Watch
Offered by Mini watches
Price: $422.18
2 used & new from $422.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic watch for any price, September 24, 2013
I've had this watch for about a week and I'm still amazed at the fit and finish of this watch. Dial detail is wonderful, functions are all snappy, and movement is buttery smooth when setting. Automatic winding mechanism is very efficient, keeping the watch fully wound even though I'm sitting at a desk 8+ hours a day. For comparison, I own a wide variety of watch at different price points (Omega Speedmaster Pro, Zenith Elite, a Valjoux 7751 triple date moonphase chronograph, Mido Baroncelli PR, Omega Coaxial Deville, Orient automatic, Seiko dive watch, and many vintage pieces). This Orient Star Retrograde easily fits in with the best in my collection, despite costing hundreds (or thousands) less. The Orient Star movement is made in-house by Orient, and is nicely finished for the display back (not quite as nice as some of my other watches, but still well done). The bracelet is solid and fits nicely. The double pushbutton clasp is nice and secure. The OS logo is stamped into the clasp. The watch is automatic, but it can still be hand-wound if needed, and the movement also hacks, making setting the watch much easier.

Discountwatchstore.com was great to work with and had the best price by far.

This is my first Orient Star. I also have a regular Orient automatic - also a great value, but at a much lower price point. For an in-house movement with this level of fit and finish, you can't beat it. Look past your Swiss watches and see what Japan has to offer.

Ionic Rotating Stand Leather Case with SLEEP AND WAKE Function for New Barnes Noble Nook HD+ 9-inch Wifi (Black)[Does not fit Nook Tablet]
Offered by CrazyOnDigital Corp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, works as advertised, June 12, 2013
For the price it can't be beat. Materials are cheap but the fit and finish are nice, and the sleep/wake function is very nice. In portrait orientation, the nook can slip out of the groove and fall flat. Rarely happens in landscape orientation. Still, for the price and overall function, I give it 5 stars.

Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History
Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History
by Ben Mezrich
Price: $10.54
131 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Largely fiction, July 18, 2012
The basic facts are true. A college coop did steal moon rocks and try to sell them, only to be caught. You can skip this fantasy and read the news reports on the internet.

Knowing JSC well, I know the scenarios and "facts" the author presents about NASA and JSC just aren't true. Also, the fawning over Thad, a common thief, is over the top. Either skip this completely, or don't take it seriously.

Sadly, it makes me wonder what was fabricated in the author's book about Facebook. I guess I'll have to "un-believe" what I read there, as I assume he did the same amount of "research" or fact-checking for that book as he did for this one.

Put it into the "fictionalized history" category.

Pentax K-01 16MP APS-C CMOS Mirrorless Digital Camera Kit with DA 40mm Lens (White)
2 used & new from $359.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great companion to your dSLR, or as a standalone camera, April 4, 2012
I've had this camera for a few weeks now and I must say I like it. Owning the K5, I wanted a camera that would give me similar image quality in a smaller package. The K-01 delivers on both counts, though it's not as small as I'd like. However, it handles well, and the live view implementation is better than the implementation of live view on the dSLRs. I use the DA Limited lenses on this camera, and they focus and handle very well. I haven't tried larger lenses since I have the K5 for that.

In social situations, the camera puts people at ease, and being able to shoot from the hip (literally) makes it easier to engage your subjects and still get excellent photos.

I haven't shot much video with it, but having one-button access to the function is very handy.

Using manual lenses on this camera is a breeze, much easier than the dSLRs for me. With focus peaking and live view zoom, it's very easy to nail focus.

If you're looking for a serious snapshot camera, this is a great choice, even if you don't own any Pentax lenses. Teh 40mm kit lesn is outstanding, probably equal to the DA40 Limited prime (I have both and have compared them). My only concern with the 40mm kit lens is the lack of a lens hood, thought it never caused me a problem in the time I owned the lens (I sold it since I have the DA40 Ltd).

For people worried about the lack of an optical or electronic viewfinder, I've shot the K-01 several times in bright Texas sunlight, and the LCD works well enough for me to compose and focus. Honestly, the lack of a OVF or EVF is a non-issue for me.

All in all, I think this camera is a winner and well spec'd as a dSLR complement.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2014 12:24 PM PDT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain!, December 8, 2011
I've had this for about 9 months now and am completely satisfied with it. No problems whatsoever. The extra batteries work fine a well. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Note that it's not weather-sealed, but other than that, works as well as my OEM grip that I had on my K20D.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good customer service, October 10, 2011
The order came quickly (very fast shipping) and the racks were easy to install on my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen. However, one of the clamps stripped a nut when I tried to tighten it. It took me a little bit to get it off. Contacted the seller and they sent another clamp, which works fine. Great service and a fine product for the price. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2