Profile for Laura R > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Laura R RSS Feed (Georgia)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars This phone has only one shortcoming..., August 3, 2013
And that shortcoming is making phone calls.

But I guess it tells you something that I still rate a phone 5 stars even though the only frustration I have with it is while making phone calls.

I upgraded to this from a 2 year old LG Android phone and am still very happy with the storage space and app capabilities of the phone. I got the phone through T-Mobile after switching from AT&T, who's been named the fastest 4G network or whatever, but this phone is built to be so fast that it's definitely much faster than the phone I had been using with AT&T.

The only time I've really been frustrated with the phone is when I'm making a phone call and have to open the keypad, I can't seem to get the phone to go back to the call screen so I can adjust call volume, speakerphone, etc. This hasn't been a huge detriment, since of my unlimited monthly minutes I usually use about 10 minutes of talk, but it can get frustrating when it does happen. Also I really like being able to make calls over Wi-Fi, but one annoying thing about that is sometimes I'll be on the phone while walking out of my apartment and once I get out of range of my Wi-Fi connection even if I have a 4G signal the call will get dropped. I wish it could transition more easily.

Also I never used the Google Task function until I got this phone, because it makes it so easy to make a little to-do list for myself on the go. However this function won't sync with my Google calendar on my computer which can be annoying. But I think that's more of a Google issue than Samsung.

But I mostly love this phone and all the apps I've been able to use that I couldn't before. Using Dropbox to sync my camera pictures with my laptop has been great as I'm a blogger by hobby and using my digital camera was quite a hassle. I'm also better able to use apps like Pinterest and Facebook that would bog down my old phone. The camera takes great pictures and I feel like it's much easier to share them than it was on my old phone. The display is great as well, very sharp and high resolution. Also the screen is huge, but the phone is very lightweight and thin. Much more so than the smaller screen LG phone I had been using.

Today marks one month that I have had this phone, and I'm optimistic that I'll be happy with it for several more months. Maybe even 23 more months.

Pureology PureVolume Shampoo 8.5oz and Conditioner 8.5oz Duo
Pureology PureVolume Shampoo 8.5oz and Conditioner 8.5oz Duo
Offered by London Manor Beauty - United Kingdom
Price: $37.08
37 used & new from $31.47

2.0 out of 5 stars I miss the old formula, August 3, 2013
I started getting my hair bleached and toned about 2 years ago and immediately started using Pureology PureVolume to protect my hair and the coloring. I loved it and stayed with the product continuously until they took it off the market to "rebrand."

At that time I tried Aveda, but with that line my hair kept breaking and knotting so after a month or so I started using Pureology Perfect 4 Platinum instead and got the results I had been getting when I started PureVolume two years prior.

When PureVolume came back on the market I snatched it up expecting it to be even better than before. However, the conditioner is still great and I've had no problems with my ends breaking and tangling, but the shampoo makes the roots of my hair so sticky and hard to comb. Before I even get out of the shower after using the shampoo my hair feels dry and sticky. I've been using the new formula for a few weeks now, and parting my hair after a shower has gotten painfully difficult. Usually after my hair dries I can brush out the tangles, but I hate to think I'm damaging my hair all the way to the root by using this product.

I'll be switching back to Perfect 4 Platinum as soon as I can.

Disney Epic Mickey - Nintendo Wii
Disney Epic Mickey - Nintendo Wii
Offered by King Beardo
Price: $14.47
271 used & new from $2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I tried! I really tried., November 17, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I love Disney. I love Mickey Mouse. I love video games. But I couldn't love Epic Mickey!

The idea of the game is great. I'm going to buy the sequel and hope that the problems with this game have been fixed. But I had to turn the game off after about 8 hours of gameplay and just stop.

First, the game never feels unified. You're given a bunch of quests at the same time and are never sure which one is the one you NEED to complete, and it feels like you can't go back and complete the ones you were trying to but got sidetracked and it just never happened. I just kept going where I thought I was supposed to and hoped it was the right way. And even when you do complete something, it doesn't feel connected to what you did an hour earlier. With a game like Kingdom Hearts, each world's quest was pretty parallel with the others so that you got the overall mission of what you were trying to accomplish, and the world map helped you visualize the flow of the story. In this game I'm left wondering, what does this mountain of Mickey memorabilia have to do with the pirate world or that futuristic world that was way too short?

Second, like a lot of Wii games, the controls are terrible. Especially the camera, but mostly the controls. Which made for a very frustrating experience for me.

Third, the combat is pretty much what ruined the game for me. Some enemies literally cannot be destroyed, but they will chase you incessantly so you can't complete any missions because you're dodging them. That's what finally made me turn the game off and say enough; I was being chased by like 5 enemies, one of which couldn't be destroyed and the others I didn't have enough ammo to defeat all at once because my paint kept going in all directions except the way I was trying to aim. I wish the game had a basic attack move like in most video games (especially Kingdom Hearts) that would reduce the HP of any enemy. Trying to aim the paint while dodging attacks was just annoying.

The story is great, and there's a lot of humor worked in for Disney nerds like myself, but the game just wasn't satisfying. I'm hoping the next game is much better than this.

Canon PowerShot A2300 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Silver)
Canon PowerShot A2300 16.0 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Silver)
Offered by Electromax
Price: $149.99
36 used & new from $52.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera is amazing!, July 24, 2012
I was about to make a trip to China for five weeks and was worried about the camera I was already planning to take, a Nikon Coolpix, getting lost or stolen. So I went to the store to look at buying a back-up camera that wouldn't cost much just in case my Nikon failed me during the trip. This camera was on sale for only $99 and had a good rating on the store website, so I bought it on the spot thinking it would just be a nice replacement if needed.

However when I took it home and was playing with it, I was amazed at how much better this camera works than my Nikon. It is a lot better at adjusting to different settings automatically, and most pictures come out almost professional quality even without focusing and setting up the shot. It works really well in low light settings which I definitely can't say for the Nikon and which is something I was going to look for the next time I seriously went shopping for a new digital camera. Now that "next time" will be a long way off because I'm so satisfied with this one.

Like most cameras, this one will work best if you stop to choose the right setting and focus your picture properly, but in most environments even a quick point and shoot will deliver a good quality picture. I also love that I was able to get it in bright blue, and I've even dropped it on stone but it still works perfectly! Considering I only spent about 100 dollars on this camera, I'm extremely satisfied with it.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion .34 fl oz (10 ml)
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion .34 fl oz (10 ml)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works, but maybe too well!, March 10, 2012
I tend to be out and about for 16 hours straight some days and by the end of the day my eye shadow looks terrible if it's still on at all. I got a free sample of this from Sephora and the first time I tried it I was blown away. My eye shadow stayed in place all day and didn't fade at all. This stuff does exactly what you need it to but there are a couple of drawbacks you should prepare yourself for:

1. My eye shadow goes on a lot darker/stronger than it did before I started using this and stays that way all day. I put on this primer then put on eye shadow I've used a million times and got several comments from people saying I looked like I was giving them an angry look because my eye shadow was much more dramatic than usual. Be prepared to tone it down a little.

2. It is a little bit hard to wash off. I shower at night and remove my make up in there, but with this stuff I have to wipe several times with tissues after I get out to get all of the eyeshadow off. So be prepared for that and don't end up like me waking up the next morning with eye shadow panda eyes because I didn't look in the mirror to see it was still all over my face.

Other than that this stuff is great. I can be up and running for 16 hours straight and by the end of the day my eye shadow looks like it did when I first put it on. No creasing or fading at all!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2012 6:11 AM PDT

Ojon Dry Recovery Revitalizing Moisture Mist
Ojon Dry Recovery Revitalizing Moisture Mist
Offered by Planet Beauty
Price: $30.00
16 used & new from $26.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly this stuff is like magic, January 1, 2012
I received a sample from Sephora not too long ago but never thought of myself as having dry hair so I didn't use it for like a month after getting it. One day I finally gave half of my hair a spritz just to see what it would do and at first I thought I had ruined my hair for the day. It starts off feeling a little sticky and you have to work your fingers through your hair to spread it out and distribute it evenly, but once it dries your hair will feel fantastic.

For the rest of the day that half of my hair felt soft and healthy while the other, unsprayed half felt dry and broken in comparison. Even though dry hair isn't something I usually deal with this is a great product just to make your hair look and feel even better. Your hair will feel softer and smoother but still like its natural self.

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - Nintendo Wii
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Isomergames
Price: $15.73
64 used & new from $7.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but has tons of room for improvement, January 1, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The idea of this game is great, it's the execution that falls short of expectations.

Cons:
- The controls just aren't very good. The depth perception of the game is whack so I spend way too long with Harry stuck between a staircase and a wall because I can't figure out how exactly to walk up these stairs. Also for some reason only in this game when I go to aim a spell (especially Augamenti) my cursor goes berserk. I would blame this on my system but this is the only game that happens to me in. Having to use the C-button to switch spells is the worst because my joystick seems to take 50 tries to land on the right one. This is probably the most frustrating part of the game. Luckily they toned down the use of Lego stairs which I was extremely thankful for after the first level.
- Unclear instructions. Most levels are solved through a puzzle, and after a few hours of playing these puzzles get to be pretty intuitive, but sometimes the solution is way out in left field and the game gives you no hints. For example throughout the entire game the only characters who can dig are certain animals & pets. You get to one level where you get stuck with a dig spot and no pets. Turns out Neville can dig! Where does the game tell you this? Nowhere, you have to Google for a solution. This happens multiple times so I always played with a laptop nearby.
- Too dark. This game is physically too dark for me to see most of the time and I had to turn my HD TV's brightness up to 92 at one point to be able to see what I was doing. I guess because the last three books are the darker tales they decided to work that into the design but it's annoying as crap.
- The character studs. One of the selling points of this game was that you get to play at 200 different characters. What they don't tell you is almost half of these characters are Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys in different outfits. Harry in a blue shirt, Harry in a grey shirt, Harry in a jacket, Harry in his robes, Hermione in a dress, Hermione with a scarf, Hermione with a red shirt, Arthur casual, Arthur in a suit, Arthur in a torn suit, etc. etc. etc. etc. You spend forever hunting character tokens trying to get new abilities just to get a whole bunch that do nothing special.
- The dark magic clique. Last year when I played Years 1-4, I got frustrated by the shiny metal objects blocking my free play path. But halfway through the game you learned Reducto and it opened up so many new places and objects. In this game, Dark Magic is the Reducto except you don't get access to it until almost the very end of the game. Yet it's in every single level! And most characters who can use Dark Magic can only be accessed using Dark Magic, so it's very limiting and frustrating.
- The second-player characters. I've never played two-player so having a second character there has mostly just been annoying. I've played video games with secondary characters following your protagonist (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, etc.) but the secondary character automatically stands behind the main one even if you just spin in circles & doesn't interfere with your controls. In this game I can't even imagine how many times I've accidentally cast Reducto on Ron & Hermione because they were standing in the way or how often I've tried to do two-man Wingardium Leviosa only to find my second man was trapped in some corner. It's cool to be able to switch between characters and stuff but this was poorly designed in my opinion.

Pros:
- More useful characters. Especially Ron & the Weasleys. Harry, Ron, and Hermione as well as minor characters like Arthur and Dudley each have useful features and abilities instead of Harry getting everything and Hermione just having her Rune thing. This makes for more variety and creativity, and playing as different characters in free play also allowed me to have Tom Riddle cast Avada Kedavra on Harry. It made me laugh in a weird way.
- Creative settings. Pretty much every setting in the films is recreated in Lego world which is really entertaining. Some poetic license had to be employed but it's fun to see how they managed to do all of it.
- Dueling. Even though this suffers from shortcomings in the controls I still like this addition to the game.
- Humor. Even though these are the darkest of the books, TT still manages to bring some light-hearted humor to it so you don't get bogged down during the game.
- Fun. This game is very fun to play when none of the aforementioned cons are at work. I like that most levels are solved through puzzles rather than action so the game isn't stressful to play.

I recommend getting this game if you're an older (at least 10 years old) fan of the movies and books because I think younger players would get frustrated with the cons of the game, but if you're just playing because you enjoy Harry Potter and not for a great gaming experience then you'll like this game. It looks like I wrote a book on the drawbacks of the game with nothing positive to way but really I'd say the good outweighs the bad in this game. The general gameplay and feel of the game are great, there are just certain design elements that cause a lot of annoyance.

The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work
by Shawn Achor
Price: $14.16
136 used & new from $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, December 27, 2011
I'm currently a business student and picked up this book thinking it would help me with my professional skills & work ethic, but it's even more universal than that. Anyone in any profession can get something out of this book. The book is organized well and cites a ton of supportive research and interesting real-world examples (my favorite was The Order of the Elephant) but doesn't feel bogged down with data. It's written in an interesting and engaging style so it's easy to read quickly the first time through, but I expect I'll be going back through and writing down a few things I can put into action in my own life.

I would recommend this book to anyone who's looking to improve their performance at work, school, life, anywhere. Even if you consider yourself a pretty positive, optimistic person this book will give you a lot of ideas to go even further in having a good attitude and improving your life.

Garnier Nutrisse Haircolor, 93 Light Golden Blonde Honey Butter
Garnier Nutrisse Haircolor, 93 Light Golden Blonde Honey Butter
Price: $7.99
12 used & new from $1.72

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle on hair, but difficult to use, October 28, 2011
I have 2 complaints about this product: First, the gloves cannot grip anything. I dropped the applicator bottle multiple times because I would squeeze it and it would slip out of my hands. Also the dye was hard to spread to all of my hair besides my roots. After a couple of minutes of working it through the length of my hair, half of my ends still didn't have any dye on them.

Second, the color did not quite come out as light as the box indicated. For me this was kind of a good thing because this was my first time dying my hair lighter (I'm a dirty blonde going lighter for the winter) so I didn't want to end up an accidental platinum blonde, but it's still a letdown that the box was misleading. The darkest part of my hair did not see any change in color, and that's the part I specifically wanted to lighten. After all the trouble I had applying the dye and then rinsing it out, the dye must have spent about 30 minutes in the darkest hair and still didn't even change the color.

The pros: The part of my hair that did see a difference in color looks very natural and rich. Also my hair feels very soft and clean. It doesn't feel like I just dyed it, it feels like I just used a new shampoo. So if you're not looking for a dramatic change and want something that will be easy on your hair, I would recommend this. But in a few weeks I will probably be using a different brand to lighten my hair again.

Joico Body Luxe Thickening Shampoo 10.1 oz
Joico Body Luxe Thickening Shampoo 10.1 oz
Offered by MRS,GOODEAL
Price: $11.40
31 used & new from $5.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Greasy hair, greasy face, October 14, 2011
I was recommended this shampoo by an employee where I usually buy my shampoo so I gave it a shot. At first everything was normal, nothing amazing, but after a couple of weeks I realized my forehead was broken out like crazy. Tiny bumps everywhere! I started using a face wash after shampooing/conditioning but it didn't help. My temples had huge painful bumps and my forehead had little bumps all over it. On top of that, my face was getting so greasy my make-up wasn't staying on my face and was clumping up. Before I used this shampoo I didn't even have to wear foundation every day. But then one day I noticed that where the wind had blown my hair across my face, the make-up had been lifted right off my skin in hair-wide streaks. Also, my hair wouldn't even stay clean for a whole day. I don't usually have to shampoo daily, but with this stuff I felt like I needed a second shower by the afternoon.

I went to the drug store and got a $3 shampoo, and my hair and skin improved immediately after switching. Be careful with this stuff.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2012 9:08 AM PDT