Profile for Sunny in DC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sunny in DC RSS Feed (Washington, DC)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1: Magic Marks the Spot
The Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates #1: Magic Marks the Spot
by Caroline Carlson
Price: $15.29
63 used & new from $4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only do I love this book, but I now want a pet gargoyle!, September 11, 2013
This is a fantastic middle grade adventure perfect for girls and boys! It is hard not to love and root for our spunky main character, but when you throw in a very funny, talking gargolye into the story, it's hard not love this whole story! It's filled with action and intrigue and I can't wait for the sequel!

An Infidel in Paradise
An Infidel in Paradise
by S.J. Laidlaw
Price: $17.14
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and beautiful read, July 1, 2013
This review is from: An Infidel in Paradise (Hardcover)
What a beautifully written book that portrays fully the difficulties of being an outsider in a different culture. I love stories like this and it is clear that the author's personal experiences as the descriptions are compelling and touching and extremely well done. This is a wonderful book and I hope more people pick up this little gem for an inside look into another world.

The Flame in the Mist
The Flame in the Mist
by Kit Grindstaff
Price: $12.40
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fantasy!!!, June 21, 2013
This review is from: The Flame in the Mist (Hardcover)
If you love fantasy and a strong heroine than please put this on your list! These are the types of books I love to buy for my daughters! A great read with a fantastic main character on a dangerous journey and a superb setting! I wanted more as soon as I was finished. And that is a sign of a great read!

Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor)
Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor)
by Jennifer McGowan
Price: $13.86
88 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent READ!!!, May 10, 2013
I may be biased because I tend to love historical fiction and especially Elizabethan era, but this is truly a fantastic read! And the best compliment I can give it is that it reminds me of Grave Mercy by RL LaFevers, which is one of my absolute favorite books. It is not a copycat. It is original and layered and has a terrific female MC. If you like historical fiction then you will LOVE Maid of Secrets!

The Key & the Flame
The Key & the Flame
by Claire M. Caterer
Price: $13.33
91 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully imaginative book that will delight all ages!, May 1, 2013
This review is from: The Key & the Flame (Hardcover)
This is fantastic read with a strong cast of truly likeable characters in an imaginary land that you want to return to again and again! I bought it for my daughter and ended up reading it into the night because I couldn't stop reading. It is a true delight and I hope there are more books coming!!

Vengeance Bound
Vengeance Bound
by Justina Ireland
Price: $15.81
115 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Love a good revenge novel, but this is so much more!, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Vengeance Bound (Hardcover)
When I started the ARC of Vengeance Bound, I only meant to take a look at the first chapter. I wasn't even sitting comfortably. 3 hours later my butt was completely numb and I found out I had been sitting on a polly pocket doll the entire time. I had no idea that's how engrossed in this book I was. Here's a book with a strong female lead who is absolutely a tortured mess, and I loved her! And my gosh the Furies were just AWESOME! To be honest, I love a good revenge novel, but it is more than that, and that is what makes it such a gripping compelling read.

Genie Wishes
Genie Wishes
by Elisabeth Dahl
Price: $13.56
77 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a sweet and lovely book!, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Genie Wishes (Hardcover)
I loved this book because it perfectly captures so many things that make tweens lives so rocky at times. and Genie is a fabulous character that kids will really relate to! This is a great book to hand off to any middle grade readers in your life!

The Snow Child: A Novel
The Snow Child: A Novel
by Eowyn Ivey
Price: $10.39
181 used & new from $2.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story..., March 24, 2013
This is such a wonderful reimagining of the snow child fairy tale. I was completely captivated by it and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I kind of got mad about the ending. I won't say why as i do not want to spoil it but it bothered me enough that it wasn't a perfect read for me. the cast of characters here are so different and so human. Even the snow child who you think is so ethereal and otherworldy is shown to be grounded in a harsh reality. And I think it is what makes the story so amazing. Couple with the fact that it is so beautifully written, this is truly a wonderful book.

MILA 2.0
MILA 2.0
by Debra Driza
Price: $12.59
78 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Mila Love!, March 21, 2013
This review is from: MILA 2.0 (Hardcover)
Oh my gosh I read this in one sitting and didn't move for over 3 hours!!! I loved this book! I loved Mila! What a strong and yet completely sympathetic heroine! And I absolutely loved her mother and the mother/daughter dynamic! This is a wild adrenaline rush of a book that had me literally glued to my seat - my eyes never leaving the pages! And Mila being an adroid is so cool and well developed. I just wish there were more cool sci fi novels like this out there! And I know that I am dying to get my hands on the sequel!

Seraphina
Seraphina
by Rachel Hartman
Price: $10.16
120 used & new from $4.24

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book that was just not for me, March 10, 2013
This review is from: Seraphina (Hardcover)
I fell in love with the idea of this book and even devoured the little short story that was available for awhile very quickly. But when I got to reading the book itself, I found it to be a very arduous read. As much as I was trying to make myself love it, I was having a hard time continuing to read it. I blame myself and not the book. This is a beautifully written book with a slow reveal of the plot that some might find intense, but for me was just slow. As much as I liked the main character I was also detached from her. And in part, I think this was because I would stop and start so many times. I never got into the right rhythmic pattern of reading this book. And given how many people love this book, I know this is me and not the book. I just recognized that it is easier for me to read fast paced books or ones of intense emotional characterizations - and this falls in between these types of books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5