Profile for G. Uhl > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 481

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Uhl "Allons-y, ... and don't blink." RSS Feed (PA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Blue Place
The Blue Place
56 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars lesbian story that never uses the word lesbian, January 28, 2014
This review is from: The Blue Place (Hardcover)
If you don't already know you will want to read 1.) the blue place, 2.) stay and then 3.) always in that order. It's all one continuous story.

The main character is gay but I don't think the author ever uses the words gay or lesbian in any of her books. It's just like a matter of fact that this woman loves that woman. No labels and no one ever questions. It's awfully refreshing.

The main character is Norwegian. These books were written back when Nordic Noir wasn't even a thing. Ahead of the curve.

Anyway - they are sort of crime thrillers, but much more than that. As a reader of all things lesbian I can tell you I read LOTS of clunkers. These books by Ms Griffith are not clunkers. They are wonderfully written. I highly recommend her entire body of work to even the snottiest feminist English degree Professor types. You're going to love this.

LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
Price: $19.95
31 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Survivorman gave it thumbs up, January 28, 2014
I love that when I bought this lifestraw that another unit was donated. That's incredible.

Last week on Survivorman, Les Stroud had one of these and he drank water out of the most putrid looking water puddle you've ever seen. He didn't get sick (at least on air). He carried it around his neck.

Mine is still in my bug out bag.

3M (03625) 1" x 6' Wrap and Repair Silicone Tape
3M (03625) 1" x 6' Wrap and Repair Silicone Tape
Price: $7.79
3 used & new from $6.23

5.0 out of 5 stars like Rescue Tape, January 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is like rescue tape (but in a more boring color, and it costs a bit more, and the rolls are not as long) but this 3M is rated for colder and hotter temperatures than the Rescue Tape.

If you're figuring how much you need to buy, remember that you have to overlap this by half when you're wrapping.

Good item to have in the car and under every sink.

The Complete Beer Course: Boot Camp for Beer Geeks: From Novice to Expert in Twelve Tasting Classes
by Joshua M. Bernstein
Price: $13.07
55 used & new from $11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Could almost be called "Idiot's Guide to Craft Beer", January 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We love craft beer, have a home brewer in the house, and an existing extensive beer book library, so this book was a natural for us. This book is an easy, delightful read, and also a basic beers of the world guide. It is chaptered nicely in small groupings of styles, plus sections on brewing, history and geography.

It's People Magazine - very user friendly. You can pick it up, read or refer to something quickly, and move on. Surprisingly, it even has small side bars on obscure specialty and ancient brews. The info is solid and correct, and the author has lovingly done his research. I'm personally pleased with the inclusion of some local to us in Pennsylvania breweries.

Having read so many beer books, I'm happy to add this one to the collection. This is the book I would give to or recommend to someone who is interested in learning more about beer. Cheers! and a five star review.

Slow River
Slow River
86 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Lesbian, science fiction, thriller. Good read., January 20, 2014
This review is from: Slow River (Hardcover)
I am working my way through Nicola Griffith's body of work.

This is the second book she wrote.

It's sort of science fiction but just a wee bit.

I thought it was a creative story. I haven't read anything else like it. Kidnapping, science fiction, lesbian steamy bits, and sewage and water treatment. Not necessarily in that order.

It's interesting to read sci-fi when some of it's come to pass into just science.

Ammonite
Ammonite
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
66 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Gynocentric, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Ammonite (Mass Market Paperback)
I just learned that word today. Gynocentric - adjective , entered on or concerned exclusively with women.

I like gynocentric stories.

I just woke up to Nicola Griffith last week. I saw a review for her new book Hild and that sounded right up my alley but I like to start at the beginning so I bought all of Ms Griffith's earlier books too.

This first book is science fiction. The second book is science fiction/mainstream/lesbian. The third book is a scandinavian crime thriller. I haven't read the rest yet but Hild the new book is historical fiction. So this author does not like to pigeon holed.

Anyways, Ammonite is approachable science fiction. You wouldn't have to be into women-centric books to like this but if you were into women-centric books you'll love this, whether you're a science fiction fan or not.

Unlike Daughters Of A Coral Dawn, in Ammonite the planet of all women happens basically by accident. IMO, nothing in the book was anti-male.

NOCO CL3BK ChargeLight Black 250 Lumen LED Flashlight and USB Battery Pack
NOCO CL3BK ChargeLight Black 250 Lumen LED Flashlight and USB Battery Pack
Price: $43.07
4 used & new from $43.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant flashlight combined with portable USB battery charger, January 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have lots of flashlights and lanterns. Lots. I compared this 250 lumen light to others i have in the same range and this NOCO light is the brightest. I do not know if it is because the light is narrow and condensed rather than spread out but whatever the reason this flashlight is BRIGHT. It's great.

You can charge the flashlight by setting it into the dock, or by plugging the cable that goes from the outlet directly into the flashlight (bypassing the dock), or with any other wall charger or usb port. While you are charging the flashlight a light blinks.

I was going to keep the dock by my bedside but changed my mind because the flashing light. Instead i'll keep the dock at work and pop the flashlight into my bag every night. That way i'll always have a fully charged charger and flashlight.

Once the flashlight is charged you can use it to charge your phone, tablet and ipod type devices. You can also charge your device and the flashlight at the same time.

If you are charging apple devices you need to provide your own cable.

There are two on/off switches in the flashlight. The big one turns the flashlight on and off. The little one turns the charger on and off.

Snow Joe SDJ616 Shredder Joe 16:1 Reduction Ratio Electric Leaf Mulcher/Shredder, 13-Amp
Price: Click here to see our price
33 used & new from $90.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Good companion tool to the compost tumbler, January 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Sun Joe leaf shredder is easy to setup and use. It stores away nicely too.

I always have big trash bags full of leaves because I have a compost tumbler and that's the brown I add to my kitchen scraps, spent beer grains, and garden greens. All the leaves in my bags have been chopped up with a mulching lawn mower. Running these leaves through the Sun Joe reduced their bulk for sure and made the pieces smaller.

You wouldn't have to run them over with the lawn mower first. That was just the only raw stock I had.

The best results I had was setting the device over a trash can. Then empty the trash can into the tumbler.

Intex Pillow Rest Twin Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump
Intex Pillow Rest Twin Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump
Offered by Splash Super Center
Price: $44.97
17 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fancy. Easy to use., January 14, 2014
I've owned cheap air mattresses. I have back packed and slept on things called pads that were not even a mattress. So in comparison this thing is very fancy.

When it is deflated it takes up alot of room but that's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

The Wolverine [HD]
The Wolverine [HD]
DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars Good strong female characters., January 14, 2014
I love Hugh Jackman. This movie is good fun. Lots of action. Interesting characters. Asian flare and flavors. Good roles for women, which is not always the case within the comic book movie genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20