Profile for Panna > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 22

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Panna RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Port Authority Men's Soft Fleece Full Zip Jacket,Medium,Dark Chocolate Brown
Port Authority Men's Soft Fleece Full Zip Jacket,Medium,Dark Chocolate Brown
Offered by Cambridge Select
Price: $22.14
5 used & new from $21.94

5.0 out of 5 stars I am happy with this fleece, December 15, 2014
I am happy with this fleece. I think the material is better than the cheap $35 fleece from Columbia. Maybe it is a little thicker. I also like that it has no label on it unlike Columbia fleeces or North Face or Patagonia. It is fairly warm and I think it is a good buy. Occasionally the zipper comes undone at the bottom when it is already zipped up but I am able without any real difficulty to unzip the fleece and re-zip it again.

Rilke, the Alchemy of Alienation
Rilke, the Alchemy of Alienation
by F. Baron
26 used & new from $5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Rilke, the Alchemy of Alienation, August 11, 2014
This book has interesting essays although some of it was hard for me to understand due to its abstruse nature. There is an essay by Walter Kaufmann on Rilke's short poems which, he says, are important for understanding the Duino Elegies. Kaufman says the short poems are "variations on a single theme . . . the choice between two modes of existence that might be called intensity and peace--the creative life that involves suffering and Nirvana, Eros and Thanatos." There was a good essay by Stephen Spender on Rilke and Eliot talking about the religious nature of Rilke's poetry. There was an essay by Walter Strauss on Rilke and Maurice Ponge (whom I had never heard of). There is an essay on Rilke's alienation from the bourgeoisie and how he in turn sought to transfigure life into art. There are two essays on Rilke and Russia as Rilke had traveled to Russia and learned the Russian language. One of them interestingly pointed out the origin of the Russian idea that Russia had a special destiny to become the "Third Rome". Anyone familiar with Dostoevsky and Berdyaev would be have heard this idea before but it actually didn't originate with them--it originated in the 1400s. The only other helpful thing I can say about this book is that it has English translations of all passages in German.

Surface and symbol: The consistency of James Joyce's Ulysses (A Galaxy book)
Surface and symbol: The consistency of James Joyce's Ulysses (A Galaxy book)
by Robert Martin Adams
3 used & new from $20.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Surface and Symbol, July 3, 2014
I maybe read about thirty pages of this book before skipping to the conclusion. It seemed like it was all source hunting which I found boring to read. In the conclusion Adams ties it together and offers his analysis of Ulysses. I will give a few quotes from the conclusion.

"All this study has tried to do, in effect, is to read the bits of newspaper out of which Joyce's collage was made. When we have cleared away the various confusions and digested the various insights rising out of this very special view, we still have the picture, we are still left with the moving and complex confrontation of Bloom, Stephen, Molly, and the icy void. Readers who think there is a complicated, coherent symbolic message stitched into the crevices and laced through the casual references of the novel are certainly in trouble; the reading I have undertaken produces no evidence to support this view and many things to complicate it. But readers who have sensed a mingled affection and contempt in the author's view of Bloom, a mingled admiration and irony in his view of Stephen, and a kind of sacramental vulgarity in Molly--who have sensed the novel's scope, relished its humor, and recognized a joyous brutal vitality behind the artifice--have not missed very much."

"[Joyce] is somewhere beyond his book, manipulating it so that now we suspend our disbelief in it as a world, now we are made intensely aware of it as a created object."

"[Joyce] is contemptuous of smooth surfaces and easy responses; he fractures them to display power over his world, himself, and his reader."

"Great and wonderful as the novel is, one of the preconditions of its greatness is precisely its readiness to fracture and escape all closed and formal patterns."
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2015 3:18 PM PST

Nil : Episodes in the Literary Conquest of Void During the Nineteenth Century
Nil : Episodes in the Literary Conquest of Void During the Nineteenth Century
by Robert Martin Adams
32 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A book about Nothing, April 23, 2014
I can not be give a great summary of this book as it was difficult for me to understand as it is a fairly abstruse book. However, I can bring in a little outside information that relates to the topic. I thought maybe the book was going to be about the Void in the sense of the void that one experiences at a certain level of meditation (which is not, in fact, the final stage of meditation). It is about that in some parts. More than that, in other parts it seemed to be about a sense of nothingness in life--either the conditions in life where there is a feeling of emptiness, or else aspects of literature where the void is metaphysically creeping in.

Adams covers a lot of writers. Each chapter is on a few different writers, the greatest number of them being French. The chapter on Mallarmé seemed very good. Mallarmé had written in one of his poems, "Did I love a dream?", which I think would be like the Indian idea that this world is as real as a dream since it has no independent reality apart from its ontological ground. While you are dreaming, you think it's real, but when you wake up, you realize it was just a dream. Mallarmé may have been influenced by Indian sources of information, and Adams touched on this. However, there have been Indian thinkers (I think Nimbarka, Ramanuja, and Jnanadeva) who philosophically criticized the Advaitic idea that creation is just an illusion. Adams deals also with Wagner and F.H. Bradley, and he deals with a number of writers who do not get a a lot of critical attention, such as Leconte de Lisle and Villiers de l'Isle Adam. He mentions the Buddhist Nirvana a number of times with the point that it represents non-existence. I have not studied Buddhism that much, however, I think this is a common Western misconception stemming from Western Indology when it was just seriously getting started in the 19th century Europe. In Buddhism, only the Gelugpa school holds what I think is called self-emptiness (Rangtong); the three other schools hold the other emptiness viewpoint (Shengtong). I also think in Dozgchen they say the ground of existence is bliss, as, I think, the Indians or at least some of the Hindu schools also call God Sat Chit Ananda (existence, consciousness, bliss). Adams' handling of philosophy in this book would have been helped if he actually knew more of Indian philosophy, Neoplatonism, and Christian mystical theologians like Psuedo-Dionysius, Tauler, Eckhart, Boehme, and Cusanus, and mystics such as Angela of Foligno and St. John of the Cross. Additionally, for a scientific perspective on the Void, one might want to see Bernard Haisch's book The God Theory.

The last chapter is on boredom and he briefly discusses Schopenhauerian pessimism and Kierkegaard. He makes mention that mysticism will not alleviate boredom. However, I think that meditation does definitely help alleviate boredom, especially if one is a master at it. I think there are some meditation masters in the East who spend their whole time in solitude, and I think the desert Christians also used to do the same. There are still some Christian hermits. Adams also covers dandyism as representing a manifestation of a sense of nothingness in life.

Learn How to Cook (And Eat Your Mistakes)! The Complete Cooking Course, From the Ground Up.
DVD ~ David Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers a lot but the recipes seemed a bit simple, March 29, 2014
This is a 10 DVD set. I will list the contents: 1) Tools and Tips. 2) Setup and Safety. 3) Sautéing and Searing. 4) Boiling and Poaching. 5) Vegetables and Sides. 6) Soups, Stews, and Braises. 7) Taste, Seasoning, and Herbs. 8) Roasting and Sauces. 9) Salads and Sandwiches. 10) Frying. 11) Grilling and Broiling. 12) Coffee, Breakfast and Eggs. 13) Savory Baking. 14) Dessert Baking. (Bonus: Help! I'm Scared to Throw a Party, parts 1 and 2).

So this set covers a lot. I only watched a few of these, but IMHO, I found some of the recipes to be too simple. I think one can find better recipes on the DVDs by Jacques Pépin or probably Julia Childs as well. Also, Amazon shows that they only have one copy available. However, the seller is actually the one who makes the DVDs, so it's not true that there is only one copy, but they are doing that to make you think you have to get the last copy before it sells out. The maker of the DVD is a chef who looks to be the owner of a catering company, Bezalel Gables. One other good thing about getting this DVD set is that they will answer your questions by e-mail if you have any.

Autobiography of a Yogi (Self-Realization Fellowship)
Autobiography of a Yogi (Self-Realization Fellowship)
by Paramahansa Yogananda
Price: $6.00
200 used & new from $1.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, March 9, 2014
This book has some interesting information, particularly the chapter on the Law of Miracles. My problem with it is that it focuses a lot on yogic powers, but I am not so sure these powers are as prevalent as Yogananda makes it sound. I think a saint like Neem Karoli Baba had a lot of powers, but he was special. (To quote from a book I read on him, "One devotee said that different saints and sadhus are like different gauge railways: broad, narrow--all carry trains to various stations. Maharajji, for this devotee, is the broad gauge." ) Masters may have reached an advanced level of meditation, but they are still human, and are not perfect. One time, some woman brought her son who had some kind of serious disability to Swami Satyananda, (the founder of the Bihar School of Yoga) and she asked him what she should do for her son; he told her to take him some place; she took him there but nothing happened, so she went back to Swami Satyananda and told him so, and he said, "What do you want from me? I am just a man." I think Hindu masters need to explain the limitations of their powers so that people do not have false expectations. However, I am not trying to discourage anyone from seeking a guru. I only have limited experience being around some masters, and I am not saying that having a guru will not be helpful. But I think just because one has a guru, I am not so sure that one starts to magically make rapid spiritual progress and one will never experience any challenges in life. It takes work. As Anandi Ma has said, "there are no tricks." And there are also some fake gurus out there so one has to be careful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 7:02 AM PDT

Rayovac SE3DLNACOM Sportsman 240 Lumen 3D LED Lantern, Green
Rayovac SE3DLNACOM Sportsman 240 Lumen 3D LED Lantern, Green
Price: $25.51
119 used & new from $17.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Sportsman LED Lantern, March 8, 2013
This is a compact and well made lantern which gives off a pretty good light with a higher and a lower setting. There is a blinking light on it that blinks (or is supposed to blink) even when the lantern is off. I find this to be a waste of batteries, unless for some reason you really needed it.

Fellowes Wire Study Stand-Silver (10024)
Fellowes Wire Study Stand-Silver (10024)
Price: $5.99
40 used & new from $1.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well..., June 21, 2012
This product works well. On one side, it can hold around 320 pages max of a hardcover book. If it held more pages, then for smaller sized books less than 200 pages, there would be too much space and the pages would swing forward. On a softcover book, the pages will curve inward along where the two sides of the book meet, so you need to break the spine in a little to make it open a little wider.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Necklace, January 5, 2012
I ordered the 18" necklace. I like the necklace itself. It is comfortable. However, the clasp is really, really small and I find it too difficult to use unless I am in front of a mirror. Maybe with a 24" necklace it would be okay if you could be able to see the clasp looking down.

Honey-Can-Do HMP-01262 Pop-Up Mesh Spiral Hamper, Medium, White
Honey-Can-Do HMP-01262 Pop-Up Mesh Spiral Hamper, Medium, White
Price: $13.95
19 used & new from $7.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesh Spiral Hamper, Medium, June 29, 2011
The spiral wire feels strong. The hamper is a little small - not capable of holding a large amount of clothes. I like that the bottom of it is a polyester material or something of that sort, not mesh, so if you put it on a dirty floor, the dirt will not touch the clothes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2011 12:57 PM PDT