Profile for G. BLAIR > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 96

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. BLAIR "GBlair" RSS Feed (New Jersey, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Flirting with Felicity
Flirting with Felicity
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars "The kind of book you'd read on an airplane", February 20, 2015
I realize there's no such thing as an objective book review of a novel, but this is my first attempt at reviewing one - primarily because I received the email from Amazon asking me to do so.

What did I expect? I think I expected a romantic story with appreciable substance and depth, maybe an occasional description of steamy sex scene to cause a stirring in my loins. A good smattering of location description, obviously based on the author's familiarity with the locales. A twist in the plot somewhere would have been really nice, too.

What did I get (without spoilers)? Gerri obviously knows Seattle, The story is well-written, but appears to be aimed at readers with a low level of literacy. I get the sense the author is really smart and can write at a much higher and deeper level, but this book just isn't it. The storyline and the characters both come across as superficial and we never really dig into their depths. Restaurant-owner Barbie (sorry, Felicity!) comes across as, well...almost but not quite a man-starved bimbo. The love scenes truly have promise - then the author fails to follow through.

It's also extremely short. If the length was doubled, I feel sure more depth, richness and maybe even a plot twist (or two) could have been included.

I want to make it clear I am not knocking the author - for many people, this may be exactly the book style they are seeking. In which case, it should be considered a success. Anyway, by giving it three stars, this ensures this review will be read by almost no-one.

Pet Botanics Training Rewards Treats, Bacon, 20-Ounce
Pet Botanics Training Rewards Treats, Bacon, 20-Ounce
Price: $11.82
15 used & new from $10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmatched value compared to local pet food stores., February 19, 2015
Excellent value!

Rubbermaid Servin Saver Cake Keeper
Rubbermaid Servin Saver Cake Keeper
Offered by HOME MARKET
Price: $14.63
19 used & new from $12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, does its job, February 19, 2015
I bought one of these to replace an older (like, 25 years old!) one I already had which was showing signs of wear. After 25 years of cycling through warm and cold temperatures, the edges of the base of the old one were becoming brittle and starting to crack off.

This new one is identical size and design to my favorite old one (except the old base was beige, this one is a dull red). I can even interchange the top parts between the new base.

I have to agree with some of the other reviewers in that the base is a slightly looser fit than my previous one, but not enough to affect the functionality.

HDTV Antenna, 1byone® Digital Outdoor HDTV Antenna Extremely High Performance for UHF/VHF 360 Degree Rotation, 45 Miles Reception Range, Ideal Antenna for Both Urban and Suburban District, Superior Construction and Tough Materials Withstand Challenging Outdoor Weather, All for Free to Enjoy ALL Local Broadcasts from ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works excellent in the attic, likely even better outdoors.50+ miles from inside the attic!, January 23, 2015
This was my first foray into non-satellite TV. I live in the middle of nowhere and thought I was limited to satellite for the longest time. Then this year my DirecTV bill hit over $100 per month for maybe four hours I actually watch from week to week. It just wasn't worth it anymore. So I did some research and bought an inexpensive converter box (which also functions as a PVR/DVR), along with this antenna.

I love the way the antenna is put together - you just swing out the 'arms' and they snap into place. I mounted mine indoors for now, in the attic. Eventually I'll put it outdoors once the weather improves a bit (roof is a bit slippery right now). Even in the attic, I'm getting around 50 channels and I don't live close to any city. No complaints here, now I'm saving $100/month!

Mediasonic HW180STB HomeWorx HDTV Digital Converter Box with Media Player and Recording PVR Function, Dolby Digital, HDMI Out (New Version)
Price: $34.99
9 used & new from $26.95

4.0 out of 5 stars User interface a bit "clunky", manual terse, else great value., January 23, 2015
[Update: Jan 27]

Thanks to another reviewer, got the timed recording to work. So not intuitive to me, but I would likely have gotten there eventually by an exhaustive search of the options.

Pros: lets you record off any OTA channel at any date/time in the future (not necessarily using the program's name). Also plays back DIVX, AVI, MKV files.
Cons: single channel (you can't watch one channel while recording another), single day-ahead program guide

If you're looking for the UI and programmability of a TiVo, this is not for you. If you want to skip the $16/month fee and are willing to do a tiny bit more work to find the programs you want to record, then this device is close to ideal. Just watch out if you have larger fingers - the remote is VERY fiddly and the buttons are very small.

[End of Update - back to four stars!]

[Update: Jan 26]

Still haven't been able to get the PVR (timed recording) functionality to work, either to a USB stick or an external USB drive. Posted a couple questions on the manufacturer's forum - no quick responses. Also emailed the company - got a response asking for a photo of my serial number. Sent it immediately - nothing more back. Beginning to think the quality control is awful and the customer service isn't much better.
Also not too happy that it can only provide programming one day in advance. IF the timed recording worked, it still wouldn't be much use for when I'm away during the week.

TiVo Romio OTA is looking more attractive by the hour. Even at $16/month. Multiple simultaneous recording AND a two-week lookahead.

[End of update]

I was spending around $1200 a year for DirecTV. My family typically only watches a tiny amount of TV (maybe 4 hours a week of shows, plus some major sporting events). Everything else is either on DVD/BD or viewed via computer/Kindle/PS3. After consulting with one of the other reviewers here, I decided to take the plunge and order this inexpensive box, plus an inexpensive antenna. Total cost for both items around $80. That's a one-time cost. Then I could cancel my DirecTV and save over $1100 in the first year. That is not an insignificant savings.

This decoder/PVR box and the antenna (HDTV Antenna, 1byone Digital Outdoor...) arrived in the same package. To be honest, at first I thought the package included just the antenna. This box is SMALL, no bigger than some modems.

I took the antenna up to the attic for a first test, unfolded the arms, disconnected the satellite receiver cable and plugged it into the antenna instead. I perched the antenna kind of precariously on top of a fan and pointed it roughly north-west.

Back downstairs and I disconnected the other end of the ex-satellite cable from the back of my HD DVR and connected it to the HomeWorx box. I used an HDMI cable from my HomeWorx to my HDTV and plugged in the HomeWorx to the AC power, put batteries in the remote and turned it on. The basic setup was trivial (select country, select language, scan for channels) and it proceeded to scan for channels.

I live kind of in the middle of nowhere. My closest city is about 25 miles away to the west and other transmitters (according to http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/) are slightly further. A slightly larger or more sensitive antenna would likely have been a better choice, but I hold out hope for a better signal once I put my 1byone on the roof when the weather improves.

Regardless - the channel scan picked up around 50 stations. Wow. Yes, a disproportionate number are likely ones I'll never watch (Spanish, Religious, Shopping, etc.) but it definitely pulls in all the basics (around here, CBS, ABC, NBC, several PBS, WPHL, FOX, etc.). My only bone of slight contention regarding reception is that a couple channels (ABC and NBC in particular) seem to be 'marginal'. I was under the impression Digital broadcasting was either a perfect HDTV signal or nothing at all. ABC and NBC seem to fluctuate between perfect and stilted/blocky. I'm not sure as to the root cause of this, but it DOES need correction.

But I do have reception for a very small price.

The remote provided is, to say the least, cheap and minimal. Some of the buttons are TINY and need quite careful pressing for the signal to be generated. Thank goodness I don't watch too much broadcast TV! I did a basic check of functionality and everything seems to be in order. I plugged in an NTFS-formatted 2TB external USB drive and was able to record to it and play back from it. There was a bit of delay in starting to record and the user interface is a bit clunky, but it works. I watch so little broadcast TV right now I don't see me ever filling 2TB of storage.

Value-wise, this little box appears to be a great proposition. User-wise, it leaves a little to be desired. But it's going to save me over a thousand bucks this year, so I'm happy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2015 2:02 PM PST

Midwest Paw Print Reversible Fleece Stuffed Bed, Blue, 41" x 27"
Midwest Paw Print Reversible Fleece Stuffed Bed, Blue, 41" x 27"
Price: $39.04
18 used & new from $34.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive, soft crate-pad., January 2, 2015
Bought this on mega-discount - perfect size for my dog's crate. Washes and dries easily.

Kyjen 2405 Paw Flapper Treat Toy Dog Toys Scent Puzzle Training Toy, Large, Purple
Price: $9.79
23 used & new from $7.82

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd call it a 'treat dispenser' rather than a 'puzzle', January 2, 2015
Bought one to occupy my border collie's mind a bit. Not much of a puzzle, though. Once she figured it out the first time, it only took seconds to empty it on every subsequent occasion. Now she just picks it up, turns it over (so all the flaps open) and shakes it a bit so all the treats fall out!

Does seem pretty robust, though. And being all-plastic, it washes easily.

Elope Weeping Angel Vacuform Mask Standard
Elope Weeping Angel Vacuform Mask Standard
Offered by UrParty
Price: $15.02
16 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value in a Weeping Angel mask!, January 2, 2015
This is really good, inexpensive Weeping Angel mask! Eye areas are translucent, so you can see out, but they look like stone to somebody looking at you.

Pantech PBR-65A Battery Crossover P8000 Original OEM - Non-Retail Packaging - White
Offered by Dollar-Rite
Price: $10.83
10 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal replacement battery, January 2, 2015
Daughter's P8000 battery stopped holding much of a charge after about a year. Replacement battery makes it work good as new again.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT ADVANCED 300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender, Repeater, AV500 Powerline Edition, Wi-Fi Clone Button, 2 LAN Ports
Price: Click here to see our price
85 used & new from $39.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Painless way to extend a wireless network, January 2, 2015
Excellent device. I have a house with two 'wings' - while I tried to have my main wireless router near a midpoint, that wasn't 100% practical due to where the phone line comes in (I have DSL). So one end of the house would always suffer with just one or two bars of wifi signal strength.

Not anymore! Installed this little beauty with one end in the same room as the router and the other at the far end of the house. Did the WPS sync and now I have a full five bars of wifi signal strength throughout the entire house.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10