Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes
Profile for Barbara Burge > Reviews

Barbara Burge's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Barbara Burge "April Fool" RSS Feed (Johnson City, TN United States)

TP-LINK TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch, 10/100/1000 Mbps,IEEE 802.1p QoS
Price: Click here to see our price
100 used & new from $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful to use multiple wired devices in one room of my house!, October 4, 2015
Bottom Line: I LOVE it!!

If you want to keep reading, here's some background of my particular house set up and my particular need for Internet. I work at home full time for a company that expects quick and reliable Internet service in exchange for letting me be remote (I work for a large bank). I have a very long narrow house, with the gateway (router/modem) from my Internet provider located at one end on the lower floor & my office positioned at the opposite end on the top floor at least 100 feet away. When we built the house in 2014, despite the overwhelming use of wireless in most applications, we decided to have our electrician install seven hardwired Ethernet ports with Cat-6 cable in the seven rooms on both floors which might have a use for a wired connection. At the time we were thinking TVs because everything else is wireless now, right? Since the AT&T gateway only has four ports on the back (each of which pulls a separate IP address), we only have four rooms available to get wired signal at any given time, but that serves our current needs.

It turned out that in my office on the second floor & 100 feet from the gateway downstairs, the wireless signal wouldn't reach: too many walls, and too much distance. So we bought a wireless signal extender (which occupied the only Ethernet port in order to get a strong enough signal to provide wireless to that end of the second floor). I was running my two laptops and an iPad in nearly constant use during the workday, all using the Wireless extender. Work laptop is used primarily for e-mails and Intranet files; not much "streaming", but some. Personal laptop was streaming Pandora music & iPad was useful for FaceTime conference calls with coworkers across the country.

I pay for 45 Mbps service from AT&T, which is the fastest one currently available in my mountainous area of NC. I was was so frustrated that my speed checks showed no better than 12-18 Mbps and was (incorrectly) assuming AT&T wasn't giving me what I pay for. Pandora constantly just stopped playing & FaceTime calls were difficult to keep connected. It finally occurred to me after some research that it was NOT the fault of AT&T with lousy service; it was the intrinsic "fault" of wireless. So I finally purchased this TP-LINK TL-SG105 Ethernet switch. It works like a charm! It's not connected to my gateway modem downstairs because my house is too long & the problem I was having is upstairs and 100 feet away.

The switch is located in my 2nd floor office. It's plugged into a wall socket with its very petite plug, which does not block the other outlet (hurray)! It's then connected by Cat-6 cable via Port #1 directly into the single Ethernet Port in my office wall. Port 2 of the switch is connected by a Cat-6 to the Wireless extender so I can still get wireless connectivity on my iPad. Ports #3 & #4 of the switch are connected by Cat-6 cable to my two laptops. Port 5 is empty right now.

My now hardwired laptops now have the full 45 Mbps of service based on speed checks on two websites (AT&T and Ookla). Pandora plays continuously with no lag or jitter. My iPad still gets about 18 Mbps on speed tests, but that's all I can expect for wireless, so I'm happy. The convenience of wireless is worth a gap in speed as long as you're not trying to stream something very data-heavy.

All together, this TP-Link switch was one of my best purchases to get me the speed I pay for. Now I can use ALL of my devices within a remotely located room which needs more than one hard wire port. Highly recommended!

One last note: I was comfortable purchasing this because of the fast and friendly help I received in the Q&A section by another Amazon user named Chad. If you don't understand something about a product on Amazon, just ask - there are friendly, knowledgeable people all over the place who are willing to help.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits MKC3-P01 Tripod Perfectly!, September 21, 2013
These little plates are so easily misplaced and it's a shame to replace the whole tripod, even if the plate costs 1/3 as much as the whole unit! Despite the fact that my particular Manfrotto Tripod model number was not listed in the description for this product, it looked like the right one in the picture on the Amazon listing so I took a chance and ordered it. It fits perfectly! Now I have a useful tripod once again! Shipping from this seller through Amazon Prime was fast and free, and I'm very satisfied with my order.

My Fitness Coach 2: Exercise and Nutrition - Nintendo Wii
My Fitness Coach 2: Exercise and Nutrition - Nintendo Wii
Price: $14.00
61 used & new from $2.48

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Sizzle - Not Enough Exercise!, January 10, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I've updated my review after a 2nd workout - see below.

I am fairly new to Wii exercising, and had read so many great reviews on My Fitness Coach (the original). I decided to hold out for the 2nd version to get the latest and greatest. I put the game into the console for the first time yesterday, and was very pleased to find there were 25 DIFFERENT "goals" within the set-up menu for my profile. I figured this was going to be super-sophisticated and give me exactly what I needed. I set up my profile with my two goals of "Weight Loss" and "Heart Health", thinking I'd get a lot of heart-pounding cardio with a little bit of toning. The workout began, with no indication of how long it was going to be. It gave me a fancy, dazzling graphical list of the exercises, where each one flipped over (animated) named the exercise plus the number of reps or duration (such as 3-minutes). But nowhere could I tell how long the full workout was - unless I could mentally add up each exercise as it flipped by, and guess how long 12-reps of something would take.

Anyhow, the workout consisted of ten exercises. Two of them were push-up based, one twisted into alternating T-stands after each push-up; and the other had me lift alternate legs after each push-up. If I had put "Upper Body Strength" into my profile as a goal, I could understand the selection of these exercises as a full 1/5 of the 10 exercises given to me; but certainly wasn't expecting them in my "Weight Loss" and "Heart Health" routine. I couldn not even finish them because the balance board was not registering my movements properly, and the game kept asking me if I was "having trouble". Finally, it gave me the option to skip these exercises, so I got to actually DO eight of the ten exercises in my routine. The routine itself (minus all the tutorials) was probably only 20 minutes long. It was definitely not anything that would make me think I would either lose weight doing it, or improve the health of my heart. Perhaps, if I could stick with the game, the workouts would improve. But for my limited exercise time, I doubt I will waste time trying.

The other frustrating things were the extremely LONG time it took to score my performance after each exercise. I had to wait while flashing bars and various percentages and scores counted their way up to my overal performance level on that one exercise. Eventually, the evaluation screen rewarded me w/ a certain score (like 89%) and a certain color medal (like Silver or Gold). Sure, I could skip that section by pressing the A-button, but it was another distraction I didn't need when trying to "exercise" rather than be "mesmerized" by the graphics. It seemed like it was geared towards providing instant feedback, but instead it just broke the flow of the workout. They could have just as effectively put all of this information at the end of the workout if you were curious about your "timing" or "effort" or "balance" on one specific exercise.

Then, my virtual trainer offered me the same "encouragement" phrases over and over and over again. "Way to go", "You're looking strong on this one", "Keep it up", "You make this look easy". There were also occasional helpful tips thrown in like "Try to hold your arms steady when you lift your leg", which made me think the programming had some degree of sophistication to match the comments w/ the exercises; however most of the chatter was inane and repetitive. Then at the end of EACH exercise, I got a camera shot of the trainer raising his thumb up and saying what a great job I'd done; but his LIPS didn't move! He just stood in front of the camera and smiled, while his voice said I was doing so well. That was really weird, since the trainers look almost like living actors, and you'd think they could have at least had their mouth move to speak these words of praise.

I spent a lot of time after the workout trying to find some what to turn OFF those inane words of encouragement and just keep the helpful tips, but there is no way I could find in the menu to do that. All I found was a way to adjust the trainer's voice volume. And that took me a while to figure out, due to the style and layout of the menus.

The menus in My Fitness Coach 2 are flashy and exciting - lots of eye-candy. They are Apple Computer/I-Pod Touch-like in form - lots of flipping square images and zooming graphics. But it's slow to navigate and wasn't intuitive to remember how to find an express workout, etc. The extra workouts provided are OK, but still repetitive each time you do them; so the boredom factor will set in quickly, I'm afraid.

All together, this was the biggest disappointment of all the Wii exercise games I have purchased so far (EA Sports Active, EA SA More Workouts, WiiFit Plus, Biggest Loser, Gold's Cardio). I will be trading "My Fitness Coach 2" to GameStop and will replace it with the original "My Fitness Coach" game to get all the features I had hoped this one would improve upon. In this case, I think a downgrade to the old game will actually be an upgrade in quality of exercising.

Update: My 2nd attempt confirmed my opinions above. As mentioned above, I purchased the original MFC, and I absolutely LOVE it - what a difference between the original and the so-called sequel! I never got around to taking MFC-2 to GameStop, so after a week of loving my workouts w/ Maya in MFC-1, I decided to keep an open mind and give MFC-2 another try. Again, despite my two goals of "Heart Health" and "Weight Loss" MFC-2 gave me more of those idiotic push-ups that don't register. Again, those push-ups were in 2 out of the 10 exercises I was given (20% of my "Heart Health" workout??? Really????), and again I ended up having to wait until the game figured out that I wanted to skip them and try to move on.

This time, I even tried a different training, hoping he would give me the goofy thumbs-up w/ no lip-movement at the end of each exercise - nope; just as annyoing and fake as the other guy. Half-way through this workout I turned it off, stuck it back in the package and I'm going to GameStop. I've got to get rid of the $30 mistake before everyone figures out it's pathetic and there's no remaining trade-value to be found. Luckily the next person who tries my game disc will pay less for it than I did.

UbiSoft, please try again. I'll be willing to buy MFC-3 AFTER I read a bunch of reviews to make sure it's an improvement; definitely over MFC-2 and maybe even over the nearly-perfect MFC-1!

Sonicare Essence Toothbrush 2 pk.
Sonicare Essence Toothbrush 2 pk.
Offered by Kyutie
Price: $112.99
3 used & new from $112.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sonicare configuration for two people!, November 14, 2007
This is another one of the effective, durable line of power toothbrushes from Sonicare, which was the brand recommended by my dentist. The best reason to purchase this particular model is that it comes with two complete brushes and one charger for a reasonable price. Most couples don't need two separate chargers in the master bathroom, and this configuration allows you to save a little money over the purchase of two complete brush/charger sets. Neither one of us needs the charger on the same day (each brush gets charged approximately one time per week, which takes about 18 hours for the full charge).

As far as the performance of this product, it has been reliable for the past two years. The signal between "quadrants" of your mouth is just noticeable enough to tell you to move onto the next area. It really leaves your teeth and gums feeling clean and fresh.

Brush head replacements are a little pricey, but easy to find on sale. If you join the Sonicare website, they send you e-mail coupons periodically for $5.00 off of a package.

I highly recommend this configuration of the Sonicare!