Profile for Brian Bowhay > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brian Bowhay "bbow73" RSS Feed (Centreville, VA)

Page: 1 | 2
American Mary
American Mary
DVD ~ Katharine Isabelle
Price: $8.74
26 used & new from $7.12

4.0 out of 5 stars hmm, what a weird fricken movie, January 26, 2014
This review is from: American Mary (DVD)
The back drop is the extremely bizarre phenomenon of body modification. I'm no film study expert but it seems to me that this film is a feminist statement, I mean that in a good way. The main character is exploited by men in power and she uses her connects (her friends in low places) to dish out some vigilante justice. However, there is the matter of her now having PTSD and being sucked into the vortex that she created.

The movie has a really cool look and feel to it, I'll probably watch it over and over again like I did with The Moth Diaries.

Incubot Grendizer and Saucer 4-GB USB Flashdrive and Hub
Incubot Grendizer and Saucer 4-GB USB Flashdrive and Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars fun fun fun, January 26, 2014
I didn't actually use this as a USB device. I unscrewed the UFO and removed the guts and the filled it and glued my Gashapon Grendizer on top of the UFO. It was the perfect size. Then I turned it into a custom colossal Heroclix piece.

Counter X - Volume 3 (v. 3)
Counter X - Volume 3 (v. 3)
by Warren Ellis
33 used & new from $1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars WARREN ELLIS ROCKS, January 26, 2014
I never cared much for X-Man but Ellis' take on this, patrolling the multiverse, is fabulous. If you like Planetary, Exiles, X-treme X-Men or Elseworlds comics then this is a must.

Supergirl: Way of the World
Supergirl: Way of the World
by Kelley Puckett
31 used & new from $4.01

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like it then go buy Witchblade, June 15, 2012
Puckett & Johnson should have been the permanent creative team.

Excellent writing. This is not the cheese cake comic that Supergirl started as with the Michael Turner relaunch. Puckett writes Kara as a real person, specifically a young person (simple>inquisitive>mature). Johnson's art is perfect, feminine but not pin-up. There are tons of little details that make her character realistic, a single panel where she is tying her hair back into a ponytail before flying in for an attack, a single panel of disappointment when Superman tells her that he stopped a bad guy that she had been searching for after hours (a bad guy that previously got away from her).

My favorites moment is an innocent but embarrassing Q&A session she has with a living galaxy villain.

I suppose this comic is not for the traditional superhero fan, certainly not the traditional female super hero fan, but maybe that's why I like it so much.

If you don't like this then go buy Witchblade.

Good Idea. Now What: How to Move Ideas to Execution
Good Idea. Now What: How to Move Ideas to Execution
by Charles T. Lee
Price: $19.13
50 used & new from $3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read, full of nuggets, February 20, 2012
I've read dozens of books on startups, I guess this isn't really a startup book, but it's still a great book.
Each chapter is about 3-4 pages and gets right to the point, but also comes with a fascinating character story (most of the people will be known to you).
Many of the chapters end with some bulleted principles and some questions for reflection.

If you are starting a business, or a ministry, or just have something cool you want to do, this is a great starting point to get you on your way.

Daredevil, Vol. 1
Daredevil, Vol. 1
by Mark Waid
16 used & new from $17.50

1.0 out of 5 stars should have been a character reset, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Daredevil, Vol. 1 (Hardcover)
Although I feel this is like Batman going back to being deputized and eating hostess twinkles,
I understand that many people like this 'throwback'.

Fine, but there is no rational way for Murdock to make the personality leap that Waid forces him to take.
This is an undisciplined move for a seasoned writer.
Writers are supposed to allow the characters to write themselves.
If Waid wanted a footloose DD this badly, it should have been a separate continuity, perhaps stories of DD set in the old days.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2012 10:18 AM PDT

HealthMaster LWHM Living Well/Montel 1100-Watt 2-Quart Fruit-and-Vegetable Emulsifier
Offered by Dave Electronics
Price: $73.99
11 used & new from $69.99

1.0 out of 5 stars no customer service, October 24, 2011
Bought this in 2009, the pitcher started leaking grease from the bearing underneath the blade component.
Then the motor started smoking because of the friction.
Bought a new pitcher in 2010, it started leaking grease again.
Then while I was drinking some juice that I made in my Health Master I choked on a rubber washer.
Part of the washer was gone, it wasn't in my cup or in the pitcher, I think I ate it.
Now the blade component wiggles up and down and leaks any fluid that I put in the pitcher.

I called their customer service, they wanted me to buy another pitcher.
They refused to send a new pitcher.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 26, 2011 5:05 PM PDT

Thor: Tales of Asgard
Thor: Tales of Asgard
DVD ~ Matthew Wolf
Offered by Paint it Orange
Price: $4.49
54 used & new from $0.50

2.0 out of 5 stars not the worst thing I ever saw, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Thor: Tales of Asgard (DVD)
the art is good the story stinks.
I give it 2 stars because in spite of it being terrible, the animation was good.
I reserve one star for the likes of Ultimate Avengers.

Tales of Asgard ought to be much more sci-fi that this thing.
Check out the mid-era Kirby stuff, very exotic and cosmic.
This was merely a lame viking story, Thor isn't a viking, he's one that vikings worshiped as a god.
There is nothing mythic or otherworldly about this story.
It's like the writers said, 'well the landscape is weird and there are monsters... good enough'

I fought to stay tuned into the duration of this movie.
Boring.

Siege
Siege
by Brian Michael Bendis
Price: $15.82
99 used & new from $3.98

3.0 out of 5 stars euphoric high with a weak finish, August 21, 2011
This review is from: Siege (Paperback)
I am a devoted marvel maniac.
I mostly liked this. The art was fantastic and the big shocking moments were great.
I didn't like how Bendis wrote Osborn's fast fall from grace, it seemed really half-assed,
half-assed like the way Secret Invasion ended (should have ended with Fury sending omega level beings to finish the fight on the Skrull worlds)
and the way Civil War ended (should have ended with Cap getting killed)
and the way WWHulk ended (Hulk should have defeated everyone and then seen that his anger was futile and moved towards grief and acceptance).
That said, I mostly liked all of those events as well.

I didn't like how Sentry/Void was taken out, too weak too easy.
Thor should not have been able to take him, Odin should have shown up and banished Sentry to Muspelheim.

Marvel is like SNL in the 90s, they start a great skit and don't know how to punch out.

Grave of the Fireflies (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
Grave of the Fireflies (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
DVD ~ Tsutomu Tatsumi

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: must be intelligent to watch this movie, October 18, 2010
Two things to know. 1. The main character is a kid... A KID that has gone through tremendous emotional stress. So keep that in mind before judging him.
2. There is NOTHING political about this movie.

The strength of the film is it's ability to challenge our compassion.
There are collateral victims of war right now today, children.
Are you going to do something about it or are you going to be the aunt?

Page: 1 | 2