Profile for Michael Wright > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 55

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Wright "professional scientist & engineer" RSS Feed (Silicon Valley, CA, USA, proud to be an American)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dell U2713HM 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Dell U2713HM 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $589.99
33 used & new from $339.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Bulls*** statement, excellent display, February 6, 2015
The seller, TripleNet Pricing, writes: "Product Alert:IPS (In-Plane-Switching) is a new technology for LCD displays that offers users wider viewing angles and bolder colors by allowing more light to pass through the panel. As a result, IPS panels can exhibit a slight glow around the edges and corners (also known as light bleed), which is entirely normal." [Maybe this came from Dell.]

The "Product Alert:IPS (In-Plane-Switching) is a new technology for LCD displays..." and "As a result,..." are bulls***.

IPS is NOT new. I was using an in-plane switching LCD computer monitor in 1997. Hitachi, if I recall. And it had no slight glow around the edges.

The ethical and non-controversial statement would leave off the bulls*** and simply state that this is a fabulous display ultra-high resolution display using ultra-wide viewing angle in-plane switching and happens to have a slight glow around the perimeter of the LCD.

3 Stage 20" Big Blue Whole House GAC/KDF85 Water Filter w/ Radial Flow Carbon Block - Removes Sediment, Iron, Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell), Chlorine, & Chloramines
Offered by Abundant Flow Water Systems
Price: $458.99
2 used & new from $458.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This triple with the KDF is the one you want if you want to soften the water & get rid of chlorine and rotten egg smell too, November 24, 2014
I don't know about this particular seller, but these filters with KDF85 treatment work fabulously on even the toughest water - hard well water. I bought each of these stages 1 at a time, wish I bought the 3 stage from to start - would have saved me 2 of the 3 installs.

Viva Labs Vitamin-D3 5000 IU: GMO-Free, Vitamin D in Organic Olive Oil for High Absorption, 360 Softgels
Offered by Premium Vitamins
Price: $24.95
8 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 caplets per day or 2 caplets a day?, May 5, 2014
You may require 5000 IU or more vitamin D3. Here is why. A medical doctor who posts regular essays on line some years ago wrote that she supplements at 10,000 IU D3 per day to get her blood serum D3 up into a healthy range. Similarly, I require 10,000 IU of D3 per day to get my 125 hydroxy D3 blood serum level as tested to be where I and my doctor want it to be, in the healthy range. (I've actually been taking 12,000 IU/day D3 for a few years, and that tests to be plenty for me.) 12,000 IU/day is 30 caplets of 400 IU D3. Just 12 days to use an entire 360 caplet bottle of the (misguided) US minimum daily requirement 400 IU caplets. I would get home from a 12 day business trip and have to swallow the contents of an entire bottle full of caplets and all of those kilo calories in caplet oil, a meal of only caplets. Finally I can purchase 5,000 IU caplets. Bravo Viva!

If you use sun block, avoid the sun, work inside, live North of Texas, you probably need to supplement D3. (Standing outside naked all day every day in the sun all winter long with no sun block at a moderately Northern latitude (North of CA) will not yield adequate D3. My body is on the low side for conversion of precursors into the active form of D3, 125 hydroxy D3, according to my doctor. But still, there are hundreds of millions of people just like I was - significantly D3 deficient.

You can benefit by knowing about my bad experience. My doctors call me a vitamin D3 poster boy. The standard lab blood test "normal" range listed on the test result page is wrong - it was set decades ago based on the range measured in the population as a whole. We now know that the population as a whole was far low on D3. Many of my friends, family, and colleagues have been tested, and most everyone tested low, less than 30ng/dl 25 hydroxy D3. Many saw obvious immediate improvement upon supplementing, one with low bone density becoming normal, another with fluttery heart no longer fluttery, another with long term foot pain playing racquetball being amazed that the pain vanished after more than a decade of pain, and varying degrees of reduction in fibromyalgia, fatigue, and muscle twitching. I had a sore throat every day in 2002, when I would get a virus I'd go home to bed and my immune system just wouldn't kick in, and I'd get sicker and sicker, spending all my annual vacation time in bed sick, becoming sensitive to perfumes in public places and the scent in clothes detergent. All of that vanished when I took D3 at 10,000 IU a day. And for me the biggest kicker - and this is something that some [misguided] doctors will scoff at - while other [properly informed] medical doctors and scientists assert as the truth - my decades of constantly having skin cancers removed and receiving expensive painful toxic topical chemical treatments (Luvelan, etc) to reduce them, are largely gone. Our immune systems clearly kill cancers, even those that have gotten fairly large, and proper and healthy D3 levels are required to properly fully activate the immune system, including what I understand are T4 cells, which I read in scientific journal articles are well known to be activated by the active form of D3 within our bodies. And D3 fixed my gastro-intestinal problems. It is common knowledge that the majority of the immune system activity is in the gut, and D3 supplementation lead to high impact improvements there for me also. I still have the leaky stomach entrance valve, but I was able to stop taking Tagamet(my stomach ulcer healed) and my GURD vanished, and I have been able to keep my remaining teeth (my lower teeth were all eaten away by the night time excess stomach acid getting into my mouth and dissolving my teeth. My twitches of the thumbs, large muscles, facial muscles, even twitches of the ear drum, eyes, and irregular heart beat vanished. These were all gigantic changes, not subtle placebo effects. A medical doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia and fatigue, which turned out to be D3 deficiency, even though at the time the standard 25 hydroxy D3 test came in within the "normal range, at 17ng/dl (the normal range has been adjusted upwards over the decades, but still not enough), my goal is to be above 75, and nominally a healthy 100ng/dl. Search you tube for Dr. Michael F. Holick, MD, Ph.D. Professor, Boston University.

I do not supplement any other vitamin or mineral, only D3. The only other supplement that has any perceptible effect on me is calcium + magnesium, but that also corrected itself when I began supplementing D3. I received a free bottle of this from them and was asked to write a review. This was not like the review mills that I encountered since - there was no requirement to be positive, no herd of people willing to be positive just to get a free sample, no "its 10 AM and the first 100 reviewers will get their free sample" I declined all of those - I did this on my own terms.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2015 11:04 AM PST

Gear Head Blue Tooth Laser Mouse for Mac Book Pro, Silver with Black Accents (BT9500BLK)
5 used & new from $12.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm having to repeatedly delete and re-pair - not worth even 1$, January 22, 2014
When I move my computer away from the mouse for a moment, and then go get the mouse and try to use it, it stops working for good. Sometimes a reboot fixes this, sometimes not. If not, then I have to delete the paired mouse and start again as it has never been paired prior. Way too painful. Don't waste your money. I bought two, and both do this same thing with fully updated Win 7 on HP Envy 3D 17 inch. On the other hand, one of the 2 works okay with Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" - does not need to be constantly re-paired.It may be a Windows 7 bug, but other BlueTooth mice work properly with Win 7 64b, so you can't choose this mouse for Win 7 now.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid - not a good value even at this low price., November 18, 2013
Even if you like value, these end up not being a poor value. 2 of 5 charged & sync'd, 3 of 5 charged. Received 2 replacements - the connectors were too thick and took far too much force to plug in Lightening connector into iPhone 5S. The plastic at the lightening connector on 1 of the 2 good ones cracked in the 4th week. Hence, after all of this, I have 1 working low quality low longevity cable that risks damage to my new 5S.

Black Multi-functional Bicycle Rear Seat Trunk Bag Shoulder Handbag Bag Pannier
Black Multi-functional Bicycle Rear Seat Trunk Bag Shoulder Handbag Bag Pannier
Offered by EF-Three
Price: $12.33
24 used & new from $7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, not floppy., September 11, 2013
Will write back if something goes wrong too soon. Looks, fastens, functions well. Not floppy, perhaps re-designed, as others wrote that it was floppy.

Schwinn Street Comfort Bike Tire with Kevlar (Black, 26 x 1.95-Inch)
Schwinn Street Comfort Bike Tire with Kevlar (Black, 26 x 1.95-Inch)
Price: $16.97
2 used & new from $15.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the bead wire, tire fits the rim well, no gum sidewall to be destroyed by the sun, September 11, 2013
Will write back if anything goes wrong. Took a little care and adjustment and pulling to get the tire to be symmetrical all the way around the rim. Better be good, as this is relatively more expensive.

Continental Gatorskin Bicycle Tire (27x 1 1/4, Wire Beaded, Black)
Continental Gatorskin Bicycle Tire (27x 1 1/4, Wire Beaded, Black)
Offered by Bicyclebuys
Price: $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars best 27" 300mm tire I could find, August 28, 2013
Bought 8 tires and installed them (various sizes). The wire bead makes these go on and stay on straight, fit well, easy to avoid out-of-round installation, as opposed to another set of tires I purchased with non wire bead that stretched so much at max rated pressure that they actually stretched until they got out of round and eventually the inner tube popped out and blew out. Cost as much as small car tires, so they better be good, or I'll write again if they do something bad. Higher profile than my 20 year old tires that had "gumwall" sidewalls that degraded to dust to expose the carcass a decade ago. These have rubber not gumwall sidewalls, so should last much better.

Vocabulary for Enjoyment, Book 3
Vocabulary for Enjoyment, Book 3
by Luvine
15 used & new from $7.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Used by the most challenging grade school in USA, August 10, 2013
Used by Challenger School, the USA's most academically challenging, and most fun, grade school, where my daighter has been enrolled since K - 2.

Samsonite Luggage Tectonic Backpack, Black/Red, One Size
Samsonite Luggage Tectonic Backpack, Black/Red, One Size
Price: $58.55
27 used & new from $36.08

1.0 out of 5 stars arm strap failing, 16" Dell Precision M6600 laptop fits snuggly, July 4, 2013
16" Dell Precision M6600 laptop fits snugly. After less than 3 months of walking from office to car, with only laptop, 1 book, and power supply, the flat strap sewn to the right arm strap pulled out of the backpack. That leaves only stretchy fabric on that arm strap, which is quickly destroying itself. Design defect - there is just one single sewing machine pass across that strap that pulled out - not a manufacturing defect. If the strap was just 1" longer internally, 4 sewing machine passes would have held much better, so they do do have their act together on this, and I'll be forced to buy something stronger from a outdoor provisions supplier. Purchased for me at Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6