Profile for Strategos > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 501

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Strategos "The Guardian of Time" RSS Feed (In Space above Planet Earth)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vega Sport Performance Protein, Chocolate, Tub 29oz
Vega Sport Performance Protein, Chocolate, Tub 29oz
Price: $49.99
11 used & new from $49.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The first protein powder that ever made me sick, October 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used all kinds of proteins from all kinds of brands, and usually I don't know what people are talking about when they complain. I've bought mixes that made delicious chocolate shakes and Orange Julius that others claimed made them feel bloated, or tasted bad, or didn't mix. This is the first time I've ever had that experience myself.

1. This mix is chalky, and tastes terrible. Vegans may be able to tolerate the taste but I can't.
2. It doesn't mix well, or thicken like quality protein is supposed to.
3. After drinking this I felt VERY sick. I was bloated and had to lie down for hours because of my stomach's upset after drinking.
4. It's REALLY expensive.

On the flip side:

1. The ingredients would have you believe this is the highest quality protein ever.
2. Packaging is very environmentally responsible.

If you are a vegan...buy something else that's vegan friendly. If you can digest animal products, buy some Jarrow protein powder. It's exceptionally high quality and you can get 2 POUNDS of it for half the price of this garbage.

Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480 for Computers, Tablets and Smartphones, Black (920-006342)
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, heavy, solid, loud, and very well made, October 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Logitech has a well-deserved reputation for making great keyboards for home and business use. This device is rugged, well-built, and works very well It's easy to use (though a quick guide pointing out how to Bluetooth sync might have been a good idea).

Up side: Very solid, supports three devices, not the least bit flimsy.
Down side: The keys look like something for a kiddie computer, and are as loud as an old-school keyboard from the DOS/Apple II days. The device is quite heavy. It's also easy to hit the screen capture button instead of the backspace key. It won't slide around or break easy, but if you want something ultra light and super quiet, this ain't it.

There were absolutely no problems using this device other than figuring out how to sync it to the tablet (hold down the PC Bluetooth indicator on the top right). Very easy to setup and use. Recommended for kids, teens, older people, and people who want something solid and don't mind it looking silly and typing loud.

Ritz Solid Reversible Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, Cactus/Ocean
Ritz Solid Reversible Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, Cactus/Ocean
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything's good except the colors, October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Well what is there to say here? It's a dish drying mat. If you occasionally have overflow of dishes on your dish rack (large dinner gathers, etc) and have the counter space for it, you probably want one of these.

Unfortunately, I don't really have the counter space in my small apartment I discovered, because when there is a large dinner the DISHES take up all the space that I would be using this for, thus making it's use impossible at the one time I could really use it. If you have a medium or large size kitchen it's going to be a lot more useful to you than it currently is to me. On the other hand, it's fairly cheap and does its job. The only real downside is the colors. I find them hideous.

SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) With Read Up To 550MB/s- SDSSDHII-240G-G25
Price: $114.99
35 used & new from $109.24

4.0 out of 5 stars For the budget minded consumer with an aging PC, this upgrade is an absolute steal, October 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As an owner of a SanDisk Extreme that I'm replacing with this drive I am perhaps a bit unique. Unlike most people who are enthusiasts or I.T. professionals, I'm not benchmarking and looking to get extreme performance numbers. My PC is an ancient Gateway 5662 that's been upgraded over and over throughout the years. It's pre-AHCI and pre-USB 3. I was ready to give up and buy a new machine right until I tried making an SSD my boot drive and got the SanDisk Extreme 120 GB. That drive literally gave my PC years more of life. This replacement...

Is literally more of the same. If you are running ACHI and getting full SATA III performance you MIGHT be able to tell the difference between an SSD and a performance SSD without being an enthusiast. If you are a person this drive was designed for (budget consumers looking to upgrade an aging piece of junk) you are going to love this drive. In my ancient rig the old SSD and new one felt exactly the same except that this one was higher capacity (my system is only capable of SATA II and IDE speeds).

It comes with no cables. It comes with no software. It DOES come with the sticky padding to make it fit in a laptop. It's bare bones and it works fine. There's free imaging software out there, but if you want to optimize this drive for use on your PC, or clone your old boot drive, the manufacturer leaves you on your own.

This drive is made from materials designed to be CHEAP, and as other websites have noted, this will adversely affect the life of the drive. Thus a 3 year warranty instead of 4 or 7. Again, if you are a budget consumer looking for a short-term speed upgrade, you wont' care about that. 3 years is half the lifespan of a normal computer. You are likely using this as a boot drive, not to backup your critical files (and anyone who doesn't backup in this day and age should know better). For the intended buyer, who will likely be buying a faster, bigger drive in 3 years anyway, this drive is a steal right now. If you are thinking about throwing out your hard drive booting PC buy one of these first and save yourself hundreds of dollars.

George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
George Foreman GRP1060B 4 Serving Removable Plate Grill, Black
Offered by Connect Buy
Price: $61.65
8 used & new from $29.92

3.0 out of 5 stars It cooks evenly, hot, and quick. But there's not much room for food..., September 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of my previous Foreman Grill, the one that's a bit short vertically and long horizontally. I got it on the cheap (actually my second one) and use it all the time for steak, chicken, and cooking crispy bacon. I figured this one was bigger and would be even better for my needs. Sadly, I'm a bit disappointed.

The good news: bacon cooked perfectly and evenly(thanks to the smaller ridges) and very quickly (thanks to the higher heat) than the old model.

The bad news: It's too short horizontally for a single piece of raw bacon to fit on (thank goodness bacon shrinks as it cooks). Large steaks aren't going to fit either, to say nothing of roasting corn on the cobb.

Verdict: If all you ever cook is very small, squre portions, go for it. If like me, you frequently cook bacon, corn, long strips of steak, etc, you want the elongated Foreman Grill.

If this unit cost double and was a third or more bigger we'd have a winner. As it is, the size makes it impractical (it's very large, yet the cooking area seems small because of the shape).

A small warning, my previous foreman grill got warm to the touch on the outside, but this one gets so hot I think 1. It is a fire hazard and 2. It could burn you. Very very careful that the power cord does not touch the outside and neither do your children or any flamable materials. There is a lot more steam condensation as well, so be careful of scalding.

Farberware New Traditions Speckled Aluminum Nonstick 8-1/2-Inch Skillet, Red
Farberware New Traditions Speckled Aluminum Nonstick 8-1/2-Inch Skillet, Red
Price: $15.29
8 used & new from $9.50

4.0 out of 5 stars For cooking small meals without spilling..., September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I frequently cook scrambledd eggs for myself in the morning, but hate how careful I have to be with most small skillets so that I don't spill over the edges. This is perfect for my needs. It's a small skillet, so don't expect to cook large dishes or over a large heating element. It's a small skillet for small dishes with large bell-shaped sides to prevent spilling. If you care more about that than the volume of the dish you are cooking (as I do in this case) you ought to like this. It's not super cheap and it's not super well made. I'd say average durability and design with a nice color and no glaring flaws. Nice for cooking meals for one or two people.

BraveRats - A Game by Seiji Kanai
BraveRats - A Game by Seiji Kanai
Price: $10.20
31 used & new from $8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Paper, rock, scissors witha deck of playing cards, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are looking for another light (brief) filler game this may be your cup of tea. You could playit with a deck of cards but with art this beautiful and a price this cheap it's worth giving a try.

The rules are simple, but some combinations may leave you scratching your head at first (thus the chart). The only thing this game needs is a prettier chart (with one for each player) and it would be perfect. Recommended bluffing game for kids. For adult bluffing game, try Coup.

Iliving ILG-929 Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat Therapy, Black
Iliving ILG-929 Shiatsu Massage Cushion with Heat Therapy, Black
Offered by Sun Tech Store
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Whether you like it or not will depend on your body type and whether or not you like Shiatsu Massage, September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've seen devices like this on TV and in stores over the years. I remember the ones that use Shiatsu being firm pressure but not very hard. This guy...is HARD. When I first tried it I felt like it was poking me in the left rib and trying to dislocate it. I readjusted position, and tried it for a while. At first not very impressed because it didn't feel very good. My wife tried it and like it quite a bit. Yesterday after work I tried it again and like it much better, because that HARD pressure really does get the blood ciruclating and my worst problem after work is being so tired I want to fall asleep.

You cannot isolate areas because it rolls up and down in cycles, so you really get mid-to-lower and mid-to-upper rather than just lower or just upper. The heat is nice. Normally I find the heat on one of these too hot and keep turning it off and on again, but for me this level was perfect.

The vibration for your legs feels kind of useless to me but I figure mileage will vary. You don't want to lean too far back into it because for one thing that will probably massage too hard, and for two, it's too hard on the device. I think I've been leaning too hard back on it because it normally switches off after 5 or 10 minutes (which is about as long as I need anyway).

It comes with a car adapter but I don't need it because being massaged this hard while driving seems like lunacy (very distracting) and if it was in the passanger chair I'd worry about someone wanting to steal it.

Overall, if you like that HARD Shiatsu-style massage and don't want to spend a lot this may be the device for you...as long as you don't mind that it's non-adjustable for height/width and won't get the shoulders of very tall people.

Griot's Garage (11019) 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner - 16 fl. oz.
Griot's Garage (11019) 3-in-1 Leather Cleaner - 16 fl. oz.
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised. Works beautifully to clean and recondition leather products., September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's rare in this world that any product turns out to be exactly it's advertised to be. Fortunately this Leather Cleaner/Conditioner is exactly what it looks like. It cleans and reconditions your leather and gives it new leather smell. I tested it out on a leather pair of shoes and my favorite leather jacket. It's not shoe polish so it won't shine your shoes. It soaks into the leather and softens it, evening out the tone. The smell is nice but it is a bit strong so I'd use it in a well ventilated area if you are sensitive to chemical smells like me.

If you've got a leather couch or car interior this is the stuff you want. It's becoming hard to imagine a serious auto buff wanting to use anything other than Griot's Garage products on their car unless they just like to spend more money.

Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation
Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars How the West Was Won and Lost by SEGA, September 16, 2014
I grew up in the time period this book was written about. The happiest moment of my childhood was falling asleep on the way home from Toys 'R' Us with an NES in my lap, still in the box. The second happiest moment of my childhood was being given a SEGA Genesis. And my fondest memory of bonding with my dad? Probably a three-way tie between in-line skating by the sea, playing SEGA and Nintendo at home, and stand-up machines at the arcade. So naturally I have strong emotional reasons for both finding this book an interesting read and judging it harshly through the lens of my childhood memories.

First of all, this book is huge. It took me weeks to get through it. It doesn't exactly drag, but as I read the politics of Nintendo and the responses of their executives to the actions of SEGA, I at times trudged on just to get to the next interesting story of crazed advertising and media circuses. Quite simply, every time the book shifts gears from SEGA to Nintendo, everything almost comes to a halt because the Nintendo part of the story (for the most part) is so incredibly BORING!

Now don't get me wrong. Though I have been accused of being a fanboy many times in all realms nerd-related, and I like SEGA fifty times as much as Nintendo, I think both companies put out some great games in the 90's. It's just that hearing about the meetings at Nintendo is like hearing about meetings at IBM. Devoid of imagination, creativity, or fun. The stuff going on SEGA was just way wilder in comparison (which I guess is also probably the result of them being the under-dog). Part of this, I'm sure, is also the fault of the authors.

The fact that so much of what Nintendo did happened in Japan is a valid excuse I think, but just the same, I would have LOVED to have heard about the development of say, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox, F-Zero, and some of Nintendo's better third-party developers like Square. As it is, we only hear about Donkey Kong Country. And that's more about a long, boring, over-blown announcement of the game than anything terribly interesting (I thought that stupid skit would never end).

The stories about SEGA, which comprise most of this book, are very entertaining. The personalities, struggles, triumphs, and failures of all concerned are a great story. If the book were a bit more focused on that, I think I would have a higher opinion of it overall. As it is, I think it would make for a great movie, but makes for a book that's only mildly entertaining do to the stop-and-go nature of the way the story is told.

I remember the console wars a bit differently than the authors do. I don't remember anyone calling Super Mario World a worse game than Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't recall the Genesis having fewer quality games (I owned quite a few, and they were quite good). I DO recall Nintendo responding to SEGA in ads (Star Fox Commercial: "Why go to the next level, when you can go lightyears beyond?"). And the Saturn...is my favorite game system. Personally I think with a different development attitude (SEGA needed to get some third part devs on board BAD and bring over EVERY game that came out in Japan), and vastly better marketing, combined with SEGA putting out more first-party games that actually took advantage of the systems's strengths, it would have done much better. Sadly, SEGA tried to play catch-up in the 3D realm instead of focusing on making the astounding 2D games the system was capable of (if you don't believe me, try the game Astal, or any of the arcade fighting game ports). Ultimately though, SEGA of Japan dropped the ball. Big time.

Pretty much the entire book can be summed up in two sentences. SEGA of Japan let Americans sell the Genesis in the West and they took the market over. SEGA of Japan didn't let the Americans have any say at all in how the next generation game system should be made, marketed, or sold, and it was a disaster. It's sad that such an important chapter in game history literally is nothing more than the failure of two halves of the same company to listen to each other when it matters most.

Would I recommend this book? If you a SEGA nerd like me I'd give it a read. It's not entertaining enough or re-readable enough to recommend as a buy, unless you collect electronic history books (the way people like me collect video games knowning full well they may never get around to playing them).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20