Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for Strategos > Reviews

Browse

Strategos' Profile

Customer Reviews: 713
Top Reviewer Ranking: 869

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Strategos "The Guardian of Time" RSS Feed (In Space above Planet Earth)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei [Japan Import]
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei [Japan Import]
Offered by HANAMARU BOOK JAPAN
Price: $67.00
109 used & new from $2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars an Excellent Import of an Absolute Classic if You Don't Mind Waiting and the Japanese Subtitles, April 25, 2016
What can I say? This is quite simply the greatest 3D shooter ever made. It may be short, but every level is unique, the bosses are huge, and most of the levels have more than one path you can take. Plus, when you beat the game tons of hidden game options are unlocked (level selection, dragon type, weapon type, just to name a few). The graphics are amazing, the music is astounding, the control is perfect, the gameplay supreme. I never forgot the first time my dragon took flight (my jaw dropped to the floor). Nor will I ever forget the first time I found the secret final boss. If you like shooters, or ever just good games, you must own this game.

I recently decided to replace my English copies with the Japanese version for a couple of reasons.

First, it's almost impossible to find a copy in good shape in English, and both of my copies were slightly damage (one crashes in the intro movie, the other during the ending movie). I wanted to be able to play the game all the way through without worrying about crashes, and Japanese gamers take much better care of their possessions than Americans do, so you can quite easily find a copy of this game imported from Japan that's in near-new condition. Secondly, the artwork and case for the Japanese version are MUCH prettier, and really quite iconic. It feels like a collector's item. And lastly, it's CHEAPER! Yeah you can sell a beat-up copy of the English version of this game and use the funds to buy a BRAND NEW copy from Japan. The only downside is you have to wait for the game to be shipped from the other side of thew world. But given how friendly and helpful the Japanese sellers are, and how cheap an import converter for Saturn is, I consider buying an import copy of this game to be highly recommended.

The only downsides importing the game as relates to the game itself are: The subtitles for cut scenes are in Japanese. Really, that's it. The menus are in English. I've played this game so many times I've memorized the sparse dialog from every cut-scene, so it's no big deal to me. There may be other slight changes but they aren't big enough to notice. If you are a collector with an import converter and want to enjoy this game as collector's item, this is the way to go.

Power N Speed - Natural Herbal Vitamin Energy Pills Supplement
Power N Speed - Natural Herbal Vitamin Energy Pills Supplement
2 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best 12 Hour Energy I've Ever Seen - Be sure to supplement Adrenals with regular use and Get Rest to avoid burn-out, April 25, 2016
I have to be VERY careful about caffeine I ingest due to my sensitivity to drugs. So on a Saturday I tried ONE of these in the morning (in case of adverse effects). What did I find?

As with the other Delgado Protocol Products I've tested, I'm not being jerked and jolted around, but gently lifted up higher to where I want to be. Yes, this has caffeine. Yes, it will give you a serious boost depending on how much you take. But it neatly side-steps the typical problems with supplements like this. If you take it early in the day, it won't make you unable to sleep at night. I doubt it would make you jittery unless you took too much for your caffeine tolerance, and as other reviewers have noted, the lift and drop-off are very smooth (you don't feel like you're on a sugar rush followed by a caffeine crash).

Quality ingredients = quality product. I'm already taking Adrenal DMG as I suffer from near-chronic tiredness (which is helped by that product along with electrolyte supplements I take), so everyday use would be a bad idea. This weekend I wanted to actually get things done on Saturday and after taking one of these I had a more productive Saturday than I almost ever have (instead of laying in bed all day I got a lot of projects done and was able to concentrate and stay positive).

The Caution:

After my work week I always crash, and it's always annoying when I need to get things done and can't on Saturday. On Sunday I felt wiped out and like I'd finished an exhausting workout, and I attribute that not to this product, but the fact that it DELAYED my tiredness from the workweek.

If you were to take this product EVERY day and never take a day to rest (especially if you are sensitive to caffeine) you could burn yourself out and potentially suffer dangerous effects. It's not rocket science. Use it responsibly. If you take regularly be sure to supplement your adrenal system. If you burn out every week don't take it all weekend and go right back to work on Monday.

As for myself, I plan to take it when I need to get things done on my weekend, and allocate rest time during the weekdays and on weekends when I need to recover. Caffeine is far more effective when you don't consume it every day anyway.

CakCity Military Mens Sport Simple Design Digital LED Screen Large Numbers Black Waterproof Casual Watch
Offered by The Revolt Electric City
Price: $35.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Watch I've Ever Owned, April 16, 2016
I can't believe I'm writing this review, but I owe it to the world to be honest about something like this. I considered getting an Apple Watch. I considered getting a Fit Bit, and ultimately, I decided to get THIS instead.

I considered the Fit Bit because of the Health Craze, and I considered the Apple Watch because in a former life I was a gadget freak and it's trendy to buy useless gadgets that complicate your life these days. But then I had a revelation: I don't like gadgets anymore (I've outgrown them). I HATE things that complicate my life. I wanted a watch REALLY because I wanted to SIMPLIFY my life. Pulling my phone out every time I wanted to know the time was stressing me out (my job is stressful enough without doing that every 20 minutes or so). The whole POINT of a watch is that I can leave my phone in my desk, or even at home when I don't want to be called or texted, and still know what time it is so I can make appointments. But enough about me, what about the watch?

This watch does not count your steps. It does not tell you weather. It does not tell you the time in other countries or other time zones. What it does though, it does extremely well. It tells the dang time without having to read watch hands. Without having to wind. Without having to CHARGE the dang thing every night (seriously, I kept thinking about "plugging it in" and kept realizing I DON'T HAVE TO!!!). It tells you the day of the week, the day of the month, the time in 12 hour increments, and counts seconds. It also has a night glow feature that's super easy to use, and features a stopwatch and an alarm (The other reviewers are mistaken, you do NOT have to go through the time change to get back to the regular clock. Simply press the "reset" button, then press Mode and you'll jump back to the main Clock). There is a manual included, but operation is so simple you could figure it out by simply try each of the four buttons in the only four modes you have (clock, stop-watch, alarm, time set).

The watch was a tiny bit long when I got it and I was able to cut the end off with a pair of scissors. And yet... the watch is incredibly comfortable, and the numbers are big and easy on the eyes even for my tired eyes, and it's dead simple to use.

In other words, this watch is perfect. I've tried a gazillion wrist-watches over the years and never liked them. Hilariously I love this one, because it only does three things but does them WELL. I have no need for an alarm function right now (prefer an alarm clock and sleeping without the watch on), but the stop-watch will come in handy, and the clock is perfect for my needs. I absolutely love it and it's a pleasure to use every day.

And perhaps best of all, if it ever breaks I can buy TEN of these for the price of a decent Fit Bit, and THIRTY of these for the price of an Apple Watch. I don't have to charge it, and if someone steals it I'll laugh my head off. People can laugh at me wearing a ten dollar watch, and I'll laugh at them wearing super-expensive watches that are difficult to tell the time on and will cause them to have a panic attack if they get scratched, dropped, or stolen.

This is the perfect watch for me. No going back. I'd wear it even if I was a billionaire.

McFarland, USA
McFarland, USA
DVD ~ Kevin Costner
Price: $13.99
40 used & new from $4.78

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oscar-Worthy Film That Everyone Should Own, April 16, 2016
This review is from: McFarland, USA (DVD)
I was talking to my Ace-Reviewer sister recently and she told me that this film was a gem that had to be seen. Kevin Costner was outstanding she said. The story was heartfelt and inspiring. It was her FAVORITE of the Disney Sports films! Whoa.

Favorite of the Disney Sports films is high praise indeed considering how great some of them have been in recent years. "From Remember The Titans" to "Miracle", Disney has put out some outstanding films in the trappings of Sports stories. So when I say that this truly is one of, if not THE best...yeah you need to see it. The Greatest Game Ever Played was the best golf movie I've ever seen. And this film actually does the same for Running in my book (Sorry "Chariots of Fire").

Yes, Kevin Costner is so solid in this film he's actually amazing. As in far more Oscar-worthy than Sandra Bullock in "The Blindside". But there is SO much more to this film than that. There is some truly great direction in this film. To the point of Best-Director Nomination worthy. No, there is no ultra-violence-sexual-coming-of-age-lifetime-achievement-Hollywood-favorite-political-message-of-the-moment scene to be found in this film. There's no head-hurting-stomach-churning-morality-twisting-drama that usually gets the Oscar nod. Heck there's not even any flashy cinematography. What there is, is a BEAUTIFULLY understated craftsmanship that lets the incredible script and outstanding acting throughout unfold the story.

There's laugh-out-loud moments of hilarity to be found, there's a strong undercurrent of the dislike people have of living, working, BEING somewhere they feel is beneath them, for the very human reasons that no one needs spelled out.

I've LIVED in a neighborhood where there were sirens every night, gunshots, barking dogs and screams (and so many drug dealers on my street I almost couldn't get into my own driveway), in the very same place where I made life-long friends and got TWO giant going away cards signed by countless families. I spent time with snobs who treated me like dirt around the same time, in a place that many people thought was a better world (and where my black friend got the cops called on him for preaching in a white neighborhood). I even preached in neighborhoods that were mere miles from fields farmed by immigrants (I drove through roads next to those fields when I went to college to get my degree). And yes, I do have Hispanic blood and LOOK like I belong in those fields myself if I get a bit of sun (hilariously I've been called "a white boy", "Italian" and "Mexican" depending on how much sun exposure I get), and I spent my teen years doing construction work for my dad with his Mexican workers (as my sister pointed out, the only people TOUGH enough to handle working on his crew) under the hot California sun. What am I saying, this film hit me close to home on a number of levels.

Getting back to this film, having spent so much time in areas like it's setting, it feels absolutely authentic. All of the drama, the humor, the subtle romance, the cynicism, and ultimately the triumph, feels very, very real. The film is so well paced, acted, directed, and written, that it's entertaining from start to finish, and deeply moving in a way I haven't felt since "Stand And Deliver".

The other reviewers are absolutely correct. This film is a good family film. It's an incredible story. It's moving, it's funny, it's feel good. It's a movie for people who like sports films, and even moreso for people who don't. It should be shown in every Middle School ESPECIALLY in California. And it is absolutely worth owning and watching repeatedly.

This is not just a great sports film. It is one of the best films to come out in the last ten years. Essential purchase.

Venus Wars Blu Ray [Blu-ray]
Venus Wars Blu Ray [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Eriko HARA
Price: $18.99
20 used & new from $18.57

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Version Available of the Best Action Anime Film I've Ever Seen, April 16, 2016
I first saw this film on a scratched-to-heck DVD from Netflix from back in the day, which eventually led to my buying it, which led to me buying the new DVD release, and then to this Blu Ray. The original DVD looked like crud though a layer of mud, and the new DVD release had aliasing problems (like an early-gen PlayStation 2 game). Is this at last the perfect version of this classic? Well...

First of all this film is an absolute classic in my book. The story, the characters, the dialog, and especially the music, animation, artwork, and action and absolutely exquisite in that ultra-cheesy 80's way. Seriously, this is the ultimate 80's sci-fi action anime film that grows on you more every time you see it.

The first time I saw this film I thought it was an incredible but somewhat pointless film as the biker-derby gang took on a tank for no good reason, and found themselves kicked around from one situation to another without a real message of good and evil or even what they were fighting for. In truth though, after many, many repeat viewings I've come to appreciate that the characters are so strong, the world so compelling, and the direction so fantastic that the whole adventure-film feeling of having no idea what's coming next sears this film into your consciousness. Seriously, the biker derby at the beginning, the attack on Io, the monobike chase to flee the city police, and the showdown with the Octo at the film's conclusion are some of the greatest scenes in any anime ever made.

This Blu Ray has outstanding picture quality (such that it looks like a brand new film made yesterday). The artwork looks absolutely gorgeous and the the animation is beautiful to behold. The sound has been greatly improved over previous releases to the point where I feel like I'm watching this film in the theater on my projector and stereo. The wonderful original English dub is still present which is a joy, but it touches on the only big downside of this release in terms of the actual film.

The English dub is slightly off in its timing which is really annoying. But given how great the picture and sound is, I guess I'll have to live with it (there's no going back to the previous releases). There's pretty much no extras at all (a crummy trailer and English credits aren't exactly what I'd call "special features").

Conclusion?

If you don't mind the dub being a little off this is likely to be the best release of this film you will ever see in the United States. This is a film that is absolutely essential to own if you love action anime from the 80's.

Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack, Heritage Black
Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack, Heritage Black
Price: $79.94
4 used & new from $79.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty Pack for Outdoor Hiking, Survival Pack, or Kitchen-Sink Carrying Tourist, April 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not a whole lot to say that hasn't already been said on this one. Built like it needs to stop bullets, with enough compartments to satisfy James Bond or Inspector Gadget. Built to last, good strong comfortable material built by a top name in outdoor equipment. I haven't bought any Mountainsmith items previously so I can't comment on quality compared to previous models.

If you're building a survival pack or are a serious outdoor enthusiast this is what you want if a "backpack" isn't your style (this design should be easier on your shoulders and back due the weight distribution).

Looking forward to putting this guy through its paces on a serious hike. Looks like a lifetime investment to me.

The Sting [Blu-ray]
The Sting [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Robert Redford
Offered by amazingwildcat
Price: $10.99
35 used & new from $5.50

1.0 out of 5 stars An Absolutely Disgraceful Presentation of a Classic, April 13, 2016
This review is from: The Sting [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Let's be clear. I've watched this movie on TV since I was a kid. I've watched it on VHS. It's watched it on DVD. And now I've watched it on Blu Ray. I've sat through many a piano rendition of the film's theme at fancy parties and expensive hotel lobbies. This film doesn't have the deepest plot in the world or the greatest writing (can't think of any memorable lines), but it's filled with great actors who do everything by the numbers and give such classic performances in such recognizable roles, that it's clearly the prototype film for everything from the new Ocean's 11 to Inception.

Redford is at his most charming, Newman, his most beguiling. They play off of each other wonderfully. This is one of the better films with the "Universal Back-lot" feel. The understated musical score is charmingly played on piano, and the camerawork lets the characters tell the story in its own understated way. This is a film that you can just sit back and relax and watch (even though there's plenty of death and peril, it's not the graphic, gruesome, depressing violence that audiences are accustomed to in modern films).

There's plenty of classic scenes in this film, perhaps the most famous being a poker game on a train relatively early in the film that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. The whole thing proceeds at such a moderate pace that the ending is a bit anti-climatic, albeit a genuine surprise on the first viewing to viewers that have yet to become cynical (it's actually great for kids).

This is a five star film that deserved it's Academy Awards for being a Hollywood Classic.

So if this film is such a classic, why one star?

Don't get me wrong, film technique and cinematography/use of light and color aren't exactly Jack Cardiff work here, but that's no excuse for the awful butchering this film is getting on DVD and Blu Ray. First of all, just about everyone grew up watching this film in it's intended "fullscreen" presentation (not to be confused with "pan and scan") because it's how the film-makers intended it to be viewed, and it looks great. So when you see it with black bars on the top and bottom, you're literally cutting out two thirds of the film. That's bad enough. But when you consider that the Blu Ray is presented in the same HD-TV aspect ratio as modern televisions, what you ACTUALLY seeing is two thirds of the picture ZOOMED to fill your screen! The result? The picture is fuzzy, pixelated, and a HUGE amount of the picture is lost!!!!

All of that would probably result in a three star film for not including the best aspect ratio cut of the film AT LEAST as an added feature on-disc. But then there's the ridiculous DTS audio on a film that really just needs mono audio (there's no explosions to be found here), showing that clearly the studio is throwing out crazy features that make no sense. There's also the terrible picture quality that's honestly no better than the HD-DVD or heck even the DVD. You'd expect the colors to pop a bit, the contrast to be a bit improved, the sharpness to be razor, even if the studio were trying to be modest and not overdo it. Unfortunately, yeah this film looks the same in picture quality as a VHS. Heck it might look WORSE than a VHS (at least the color bleeding would add to old-timey effect).

Okay, so that gets you down to two stars. The remaining star is removed for this Blu Ray having Super-Annoying double universal sound and logo (God, I hate that stupid Universal Sound and Logo! Can't they just go back to the silent one? PLEASE????). Yes, you have to watch the logo THREE times. Once when you start the Blu Ray, once after it gives numerous "downloading previews" and instructions on how to use the dang REMOTE CONTROL, and then a THIRD time you get the good old silent logo. But wait! There's more! Stopping this Blu Ray does not allow resume, the previews and junk either take forever to skip or can't be skipped, the audio is very low and has to be cranked way up to be heard, and there's no menu (so you have to pause the film to wait for everyone to get to their seats, as the film starts immediately after you sit through all that garbage).

What do you get when you combine poorly mastered sound, poorly mastered video in the incorrect aspect ratio, HORRIBLE presentation, and a classic film? You get a giant black mark on Universal and a top choice for a film that needs to be handed over to Criterion to present a decent Blu Ray of this classic that the world deserves.

Universal should be ashamed, because this Blu Ray is absolutely humiliatingly poor in absolutely every way. Hackers on the Internet can probably do a better restoration than this. Garbage.

Jarrow Formulas Yum-Yum PS 100 Gummies, Promotes Brain Function, 60 Gummy Chews
Jarrow Formulas Yum-Yum PS 100 Gummies, Promotes Brain Function, 60 Gummy Chews
Price: $16.36
11 used & new from $16.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Increase Concentration, Lower Coritsol Levels, Enjoy a Candy, April 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this product. It does what it claims. My stress levels went down, my concentration went up, and it tastes great.

This product is obviously designed for children, but I prefer taking something like this in gummies instead of pills if I have a choice, even though I'm 34. It may look and taste like candy, but it's probably not safe to swallow a whole bunch at once so it comes with a child-safety cap (not that those actually stop children, but at least it's responsible).

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the amount of the supplement or the taste or the sugar. Any less sugar would taste terrible, and there's only a couple of grams of sugar in two (unlike say, a soda that has between 32 and 64 grams of sugar).

I wouldn't give this to a child without a doctor's prescription, but it's working great for me as an adult. It's effective and high quality, and honestly I don't understand any of the complaints about the product. To me it's a winner.

Edifier P275 Headset - Headphones with Mic and Inline Control - Noise-Isolating In-Ear Monitor Earphones - Black
Offered by Edifier Online Store

5.0 out of 5 stars A Product Worthy of Five Stars, April 4, 2016
I'll readily admit it: Since Edifier started sending me their products in exchange for a review (this is the third) I've been wanting to get them a 5 star review, but was not able to do so because the products I tested weren't quite there. I WANTED to give them 5 stars because the attitude of the representatives I dealt with were so professional and friendly (unlike some other representatives I've dealt with who were rude and demanding). They seemed genuinely proud of their product, and their enthusiasm was contagious.
At first I was frightened...

When I first took them out of the box and plugged them in, there was an annoying static hiss that was apparent. I was saddened, because they are beautifully designed. These headphones have an anti-tangle cord with a skinny end that should allow it to work with battery cases. They come with an adapter for other phones than the iPhone. There's large and small earpieces included. There's even a manual ($150.00 + computer audio devices and $400.00 + network printers often don't come with a manual/support document). There's even a clip so you can clip the device to your body (keeping the headphones from pulling out of your ears).

And then I was delighted...

After a day or two of break-in the hiss completely disappeared. The other audio characteristics however, did not. These headphones are in-ear so they naturally are very comfortable compared to earbuds, and have far better bass. Just the same, the headphones are downright impressive for this price-range in a device not specifically designed for large bass output (it's not thumping, but it feel like what's missing from many headphones as been added back in). In addition, there's a beautiful full sound stage that I simply was not expecting. Music feels quite lively and full compared to other headphones in this price range. And yes, it is very well balanced. Unlike the other Edifier headphones I tested which were a bit overly "bright" for my taste, these are very nicely balanced and it doesn't feel like any range is straining (vocals and bass are especially smooth).

I continued to be more and more impressed as I put these headphones through their paces with my torture tests. I listened to a bunch of orchestral recordings including lots of Tron Legacy and Prague Philharmonic and they handled everything beautifully. The bass in Tron Legacy PULSES (and not in an annoying way), you can hear the detailed clarity of electric guitars and strings, bells tinkle, detail shines. Vocals, again are crystal clear and exceptional in this price range.

Even my worst torture test (a low bit-rate recording of the soundtrack from Magic Knight Rayearth) shined with this headset and that's no easy feat. Most cheap headphones sound horrendous in this test, and many high-end sets sound very flat due to the poor recording. Not this time. I'm happy to report that mediocre recordings are brought to life and high quality ones shine.

People like me will of course tell you that you can't compare these to say... $300.00 in-ear headphones or even the $150.00 Creative Over-Ear set that makes me weep when I listen to Hans Zimmer. But yes, this product CAN compete with Sennheiser's budget range toe-to-toe and that is VERY impressive. These are the best in-ear headphones in this price range I have ever tested and a definite recommendation if you like in-ear headphones.

URPOWER 2nd Version Essential Oil Diffuser,100ml Aroma Essential Oil Cool Mist Humidifier with Adjustable Mist Mode,Waterless Auto Shut-off and 7 Color LED Lights Changing for Home Office Baby
Offered by COCO-VISION
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice Diffuser/Nite Light, April 4, 2016
I've been wanting to get one of these for a while for my wife, ever since my older sister (the Nutrition/Body Care expert) told me they existed. You COULD buy a real expensive one, but...WHY???

The item itself is small, quiet, and produces a nice mist. If you run it continuously I suppose it could add a noticeable amount of humidity, but since I'm in dark, dank, Portland Oregon I run a dehumidifier to condition my air down to 30% humidify (to kill the mold, help with allergies, and reduces the length of illnesses). Are the two incompatible? Nah I don't think so.

Primarily we just need this lovely device to get rid of the "funky" smell that tends to linger in the bathroom and bedroom. As a bonus, it has a beautiful nite light function that can switch between all colors, or be high or low light in any of them (awesome for night-time use in the bathroom etc).

On the intermittent setting it blows mist for something like 6 hours, and there's a soft whirring sound that may or may not bother you (probably not). It auto-shuts off when it runs dry. What's not to like? It sure beats a chemical de-deodorizer and at this price it feels like a steal.

If you've got a large house, get a couple!

I was sent one of these in exchange for an honest review (and anyone who doesn't like it can go complain to Metacritic that journalists get to play video games and see movies for free).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20