Profile for Eileen Granfors > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 735

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Eileen Granfors RSS Feed (Cape Fair, MO)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Guide to Writing Your Memoir or Life Story: Tools, Tips, Methods, and Examples
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars YES! Write your Memoir, May 6, 2015
I helped to proofread this marvelous, pinpointed guide. If you have ever thought, "Should I write my memoirs?" the answer is YES. Your will find this guide invaluable, and better yet, Groner provides answers to questions you have probably wrestled with. Should I hire a ghostwriter> How do I organize the book? Who cares about me and my life anyway? Groner offers solutions to your fear and your writer's block. He helps the novice writer and the paid writer. He is aware that your time to write is limited.

I have pestered my own family members to please, please, please write their memoirs, for who knows your story better than you do? This short guide may be enough to get more people to write it down. Go ahead, the good, the bad, the ugly. Write it down. Your life matters. Tell about it.

poems in water
poems in water
by Mary Langer Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enticing Flow of Words, May 6, 2015
This review is from: poems in water (Paperback)
To read Mary Langer Thompson is to encounter observations and emotions drawn from a variety of sources. Mary and I have been writing friends for years. I applaud her poetry even as I applaud her outreach to students of every age. Her goal is to make poetry a pleasure, not a punishment in her writing classes. She certainly makes reading her poetry a touching and dramatic and even surprising use of words.

This anthology, POEMS IN WATER, flow from the seriousness of "braving big bear lake" to every woman's partnership with maps in "how the gps stole my husband." and the clever, hurt in "follow-up letter." These are poems you will want to share with someone, whether it's a writing group or a classroom of students or your spouse.

Huzzah, Mary Langer! Thompson! My life is enriched by your words.

A copy of POEMS IN WATER was sent to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.

The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe
The Last Days of Marilyn Monroe
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, May 3, 2015
Third or fourth book I read about Marilyn, and it really changed my perspective on suicide vs murder.

Secrets of the Tower
Secrets of the Tower
by Debbie Rix
Price: $14.99
17 used & new from $10.72

4.0 out of 5 stars Pisa, Then and Now, April 27, 2015
This review is from: Secrets of the Tower (Paperback)
Who doesn't love Italy? Whether modern-day or ancient history, Italy calls to us with its beautiful buildings and fascinating interplay of politics and powerful men.

In Secrets of the Tower, which I received free for a candid review from Bookouture, we are engrossed in the lives of 21st century researchers and documentarians, their loves and struggles, as well as in the times 800 years prior, when the Tower of Pisa was built.

Rix has most of her facts woven well into a book laden with characters and intrigue. We switch narrators from the present-day to the time of Pisa's decision to build their great campanile. The narrator, only 18 and married to a 36-year old man (very old in those days of early death), Berta di Bernardo is swept into the architecture and fulfillment of Gerardo's dream. Though her own maid is given reason to hope for Gerado's love (those Italian lovers!), Berta is too smart to allow a love triangle to end her vision of the finished tower.

As another reader noted in her review, some of the research (on tomatoes for example) is not 100% correct, but most of us won't know that. What we will know is that this book skillfully tells a story of two women, one modern, one ancient. Rix creates drama, suspense, and doubt, in the lives of both women. SECRETS OF THE TOWER is a truly delightful read, offering those of us who admire Italy from afar to take a tour with a sure-handed guide.

Until You're Mine
Until You're Mine
by Samantha Hayes
Price: $15.63
93 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nor Quite Perfect Thriller, April 27, 2015
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Chilling. Straight out of today's headlines. Sure-fire story for 20/20 if it were true. I have heard of lunatics wanting a baby to the degree that they are willing to woo a pregnant woman to a place when she is "ready," and thereby receive a newborn despite what might happen to the mother. A rather famous case took place not so far from where I live in Missouri.

So here you go. Claudia is delighted to be on the verge of giving birth to her first child, after the usual years of trying and fertility treatments. She hires Zoe as a nanny. Luckily, Hayes allows Zoe to tell her part of the story, which gives us a creepy feeling pretty fast that Claudia has made a terrible mistake in allowing this woman to join her household.

After the bloody deeds are accomplish, one more narrator comes in, the detective investigating a crime against pregnant women. Lorraine is a reliable narrator after the idealistic Claudia and wacko, Zoe. Yet Lorraine is really too little, too late. She seems somewhat tagged on and filling in. If Hayes had found a reason to let us get to know Lorraine earlier, the book would have been five stars from me. I love true crime, and I love psycho narrators. I almost had it all delivered in UNTIL YOU'RE MINE.

The Fateful Lightning: A Novel of the Civil War
The Fateful Lightning: A Novel of the Civil War
by Jeff Shaara
Price: $19.01
92 used & new from $12.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Huzzah, Mr. Shaara, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A name like Jeff Shaara's on a new volume spells nirvana for my son (history major) and "maybe I'll like it" for me. THE FATEFUL LIGHTNING concludes Shaara's trilogy on the Civil War with the terrible chaos of Sherman's march to the sea. The sheer number of characters is fairly daunting, but with the attitude that I need to know, really know, what happened, I kept reading. Shaara is an astute storyteller, drawing in even the most unschooled of readers with details that make you shake your head in dismay. No wonder the Civil War never really ended in America, with this bastion of military genius and fools, cocky boldness and hesitant follow up. Shaara will not let us stop to ruminate. Another ambush, another city to burn, the civilians so much collateral damage and the Department of War a money pit for the greedy. I believe that Shaara's book will be read in many college history classes and parceled out to some high school classes. As an adult not fully versed in war history, I found the book a necessary read and a good argument for mankind to learn to live without waging war.

Villa America: A Novel
Villa America: A Novel
by Liza Klaussmann
Price: $13.49

3.0 out of 5 stars If You Have All the Time in the World, April 27, 2015
This review is from: Villa America: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I chose this book because last year seemed to be the year of the Fitzgeralds, and I couldn't resist the summary that said this book is based on Tender is the Night. I am not always a Fitzgerald fan, but his and Zelda's story along with ex-patriots the Hemingways can never be enough though A MOVABLE FEAST by Ernest Hemingway himself comes close.

Villa Americana is one slow read. Each section opens with the story of an observer, a hanger-on (think Gatsby's parties) but then moves into the shenanigans of the likes of Dorothy Parker, the Fitzgeralds, and the Hemingways. Zelda comes off as expected, a little off, and Hadley is seen in a new light. The men, those drinking machines, are portrayed as expected.

With too much narration and backstory, VILLA AMERICANA, is a slog that requires a very inquiring mind to mush through. Should Liza Klaussmann go back to her publisher and her editor and whittle the book down to its essence, more people would surely finish the book and speak well of it. As it is, reader beware. Slow, slow, slow reading.

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life
by William Finnegan
Price: $14.11
38 used & new from $14.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I grew up in a surfing culture, where one was either a surf or a hodad. My hometown, next to the Mexican border, was famous for its surf break during and after storms, at the point the Tijuana River mouth met the sea. Heck, even my mother surfed in the 1950s (she wasn't into bridge clubs) and used the ocean for fitness well into her 70s.

Finnegan goes way beyond my youthful innocence with waves and surf and surf rats. He has surfed the world, and at every stop, he learns something about the culture. While he is always in search of the next perfect wave, he is also a disciplined anthropologist who seeks to know the culture of his surf break.

He takes us on adventures in the South Pacific, Hawaii, the regular spots we think of as surf hot spots. He explains life among the happiest people on earth, the Tongans. He does not stop there. On to South Africa, Australia, Asia. He stops to surf, and stays to learn. He moves on.

Every page of BARBARIAN DAYS draws the reader in to the clearly observed and yes, obsessive life, of the true surfer, not just the seasons groms, who try to show off for the girls. Finnegan, previously a writer at New Yorker, pulls even land lubbers into the wild ride of life, as one surfer seeks his endless summer. Amazing book. For more on how waves form and why, though Finnegan does a great job, see WAVE by Susan Casey.

Barilla Spicy Marinara and Roasted Garlic Sauce Variety Pack, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $16.89

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM!, April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am always a little suspicious of jar pasta sauces because they are very often sweet and bland to accommodate children’s palates. I was pleasantly surprised by both of these sauces marketed by Barilla. Each is robust enough to be served directly over pasta without any additions if you find yourself lacking dinner preparation time.

The Spicy Marinara sauce is actually spicy, but not overly so. I like garlic. It is flavor-fully present and nicely balanced with the onions and bits of tomato that provide texture to the sauce. Not too sweet.

The Roasted Garlic sauce is similar with plenty of garlic flavor, without the spiciness of the chili peppers contained in the marina sauce. It is also a bit sweeter, although not to excess.

I am a big fan of spice so my nod goes to the “Spicy Marinara” sauce.

The reality is however, I prefer the texture and flavor of fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, oregano, basil, peppers, and perhaps meatballs in my sauce.I find that both of these sauces provide an excellent base to add any or all of these ingredients to build a more personalized pasta sauce

The Children's Crusade: A Novel
The Children's Crusade: A Novel
by Ann Packer
Price: $13.36
107 used & new from $5.62

2.0 out of 5 stars What is Interesting?, April 14, 2015
I was so excited to see a new book by Ann Packer, for I loved and still treasure the journey of THE DIVE FROM CLAUSEN'S PIER. Unfortunately, this new book has none of the deep emotions and conflicts of her first book. I bought the hard cover because I expected this book to become one of my "go to" books to reread. About half-way through I realized I didn't care a fig for anyone in the family and I stopped reading. I will donate my hard copy (barely used) to our local library. Certainly there are people who will relate to the plight of the characters and enjoy Packer's work. I am truly sad to feel this way about this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20