Profile for milquetoast7 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

milquetoast7 RSS Feed

Flight Of A Super Airplane
Flight Of A Super Airplane
by Brian Spaeth
Price: $10.45
9 used & new from $10.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Flight Club, May 10, 2012
Before any of us take our first breath as we're ushered into the world, significant facets of our identity have already been determined for us. As early as 17 weeks in, a mother can find out her baby's gender, and see its face in an alien-like 4D ultrasound. The parents will then draft a list of names, narrowing it down to the type of moniker they feel best suits the baby's in-utero personality. All of these identity constructs attach themselves to the newborn, and for the most part (except for hippies who change their names to Storm or Fairy), the baby grows into childhood and adolescence complacently accepting these identity decisions made for them.

Perhaps Brian Spathe, our pragmatic narrator, has reached the limit of his tolerance of other people being in charge of his identity. He seems to express this frustration throughout the many scenes in which his girlfriend Jenn struggles to suppress her alter-ego, Jewel. Brian Spaeth, our pragmatic author, has crafted much deeper character development into this novel than was apparent in the prelude. While explaining the nuanced reasons behind each person's decision to purchase a Super Airplane ride, the author allows us to be privy to their complex innermost thoughts and struggles, even if those thoughts are mostly brought to the surface via the superficial mediums of Appelle and Googelle ePhones.

As we watch the passengers of the Super Airplane come to terms with their dichotomous behaviors, we're driven to ruminate on our own numerous types of identities. Spathe's brother exists as Tim, but also as Colonel T; his sister is Kristin or Kristina; and Spathe exists as the creator of the Super Airplane, the mouthpiece for author Spaeth's thoughts, the boyfriend of Jenn, the ghostwriter for another author, and possibly many more hidden identities throughout the book. Many of the characters frequently blame their worst qualities and unethical actions on these alter-egos, and we may find ourselves subconsciously doing the same. In reality we often display this behavior through cultivating different personas for the workplace, the weekend, or for when we're around our family and friends. We create specific ways of acting, dressing, and even speaking for each atmosphere, and it can be jarring to our identity when these personas start to conflict with each other.

Never fear, Flight Of A Super Airplane also gives us Bruce Willis as our airplane pilot, veering our travel toward the SuperMoonFire in a must-save-the-world scenario reminiscent of The 5th Element, which I recently watched for the first time on Netflicks. In the prelude, Spathe established each character as either pro-airplane or pro-flying car. As anxious as I am about being in the sky in any type of machine, I'm definitely pro-airplane because it's flown by an experienced pilot. If flying cars were to win the marketing war, what would be the required criteria to obtain a driver's license? I'm pretty sure these malcontents down here on the concrete couldn't handle driving in the sky.

Also pervasive in the Super Airplane world is the overwhelming culture of reality TV. We find never-ending narcissism a constant in the majority of the passengers, but especially in Spathe's view of himself, expressed thusly: "I love myself. I even hate going to sleep since it's a whole block of time that I don't get to be around me." Any people who allow cameras to follow their faces all day and night must suffer from this same cult of personality. The difference with Spathe is that I would gladly watch his reality show, because it would probably be scenes of him playing waterslide mini-golf with his dad, or becoming a mole in his own organization, or plotting a meta reality show called Funeral Hoarders. With so many reality shows invading our culture, starring people who are constantly reinventing their conflicting selves - including using plastic surgery to further conceal the facets of identity they were given at birth - it's no wonder that those of us in actual reality often struggle to portray ourselves in an authentic manner throughout our daily life.

Flight Of A Super Airplane points to a celebration of true talent amidst our vapid, pop-culture-obsessed world. Through its extensive description of the progression of these lovable characters hurtling through space and time, the book urges us to confront our own pre-existing and self-made identity traits, and urges us to not be so complacent with how we view ourselves that we're unwilling to change, even if it's something as simple as our favorite airplane seat numbers.

A Ballad of Rogelle Climberson
A Ballad of Rogelle Climberson
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Anger Dust Erased, December 23, 2010
Fee fi fo fum
I smell the corn of a Climberson
be he alive or be he dead
I'll have his Fleu to Penchant my head

Daria and Rogelle, in it together, why, how, whelle...
"All writing is plagiarism because you're using words that already exist."

Our dear author Spaeth amends this axiom by creating his own words and reduces the paradigm to fit within his utilitarian worldview of colonial perfidy.

I spent my sunshine cycle reading this fine tome at the airplane station and many lads of coquettish valour were thusly thine procured to fetch my mittens that doth had fallen anon to the laden fields.

What guile for poor Jon!

The Christmas Bridge: A Timeless Excitement Fable
The Christmas Bridge: A Timeless Excitement Fable
by Brian Spaeth
Price: $8.99
12 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Smiles for everyone, November 22, 2010
Brian giving us the gift of his random humor means Christmas comes early, especially if we're stuck in cubicle jail, looking forlornly out the esoteric windows and wishing for magic and elves and maybe eleven babies to be born? The time passes so slowly it seems to be in kilominutes, swirling around our celebrity obsessions and Santa mythologies, waiting for that moment when we'll be set free from the "sadness jobs that made their feelings dead." And ho, along comes a British lad and Adult conversations, and Christmas is here to stay. There can be miracles, if you believe, as I do, that I'd gladly pay my entire cable bill price to see CELEBRITY KNEEHAB. If you like the corners of your mouth to curl in an upward motion, I suggest you buy this book.

P.S. While I am no fan of the Kindle, as it hurts my cubicle-eyes, that version's still $2.99 - get thee to buying, post haste!