Profile for Reader Rachel > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reader Rachel RSS Feed

Political Folk Music in America from Its Origins to Bob Dylan
Political Folk Music in America from Its Origins to Bob Dylan
by Lawrence J. Epstein
Price: $31.50
32 used & new from $21.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Entertaining Coverage, March 13, 2010
As a huge folk music fan, I have been on a years-long search to find a comprehensive work that covers the whole folk story; that is, not just the music and characters, but the culture and circumstances from which they sprung. Lawrence Epstein's book is the first I've come across that explores folk music by showcasing not only how it started or where it is now, but also the direction in which it's heading -- and why. A truly enjoyable read for anyone interested in politics, culture, history, or any type of music.

Your First Cruise: A Complete Guide to Planning and Attaining the Perfect Cruise Vacation
Price: $7.96

4.0 out of 5 stars A no-nonsense, get-to-the-point guide to cruising, May 8, 2009
Mention the word "cruise" and up rise images of your dream destination - sandy beaches with snorkeling and fishing, a hot rainforest with exotic animals, the snow sports of Alaska. Going on a cruise sounds like heaven; it's the planning part that gets in the way. Fortunately, T. Brian Chatfield lays out the basic--and not so basic--steps to help first time cruisers combat problems before they set foot on the boat.

Chatfield breaks it down into two manageable sections: a) what you need to know about taking your first cruise, and b) what you need to know about the cruise lines. This two-pronged approach allows readers first to gain footing in choosing the right type of cruise, how to prepare, what to expect, and what to pack; followed by question-and-answer sessions with representatives from 11 cruise lines detailing where they sail, what they offer, and a round-up of their services.

Chatfield covers the topic of cruises with a passionate thoroughness. His research and fine execution give readers the option of reading cover to cover or skimming specific sections that pertain to their situations. Your First Cruise shines as both a resource and an enjoyable read, a rare combination.

I have never been on a cruise. After reading this book, I see that's going to change.

by Atlantic Publishing Company
Price: $9.95
40 used & new from $3.44

5.0 out of 5 stars An average person's guide to the world of identity theft, May 8, 2009
I'm going to admit it: I've had my identity stolen. It wasn't an extreme case, and it got resolved within a few weeks without any lasting damage, but the experience made me wonder: How can I protect myself better in the future? I found the answer in The Online Identity Theft Prevention Kit: Stop Scammers, Hackers, and Identity Thieves from Ruining Your Life.

The authors lay their work out in an easy to understand, logical fashion. They start with the how and why, then segue into prevention methods before tackling the bigger issue of repairing identity theft damage. One particularly interesting section on living anonymously explains how "regular" people, should they choose, are legally entitled to change their identities for any given reason--though not, as the authors notes, "with the intent to defraud someone."

The book combines real-life content with a mixture of the authors' personal experiences, drawing readers into a world at once recognizable and ugly. The authors reminds us, in a somewhat ominous way, that no one is safe. As with disease, our best protection is prevention. Even if you choose not to read this book, you should check out the section on how to minimize your risk.

With social media skyrocketing as it is, the idea that online identity theft could expand with it is also very real. Don't wait until after you're a target to learn from this book.

Cheap Insurance for Your Home, Automobile, Health, & Life: How to Save Thousands While Getting Good Coverage
by Carla Rowley
Price: $8.64
39 used & new from $0.74

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy-to-understand guide on why we all need insurance ... and how to get it for a reasonable price, May 8, 2009
Like too many twenty-somethings in our culture (and maybe even thirty-somethings and beyond), I've hardly given thought to insurance. Since I don't own a car or a house, am healthy and employed with basic health care, and not old enough to worry about term life, it didn't seem like any of it pertained to me. Boy, was I wrong.

After reading Carla and Lee Rowley's "Cheap Insurance for Your Home, Automobile, Health and Life," I learned how naïve I was. The authors offer a plethora of useful advice even someone like me needs to know, such as mitigating risk and why it's vital to be insured. This book is a great learning tool to prepare me for the next stage of my life, arming me with important information on home insurance options, automobile insurance requirements and policies, the types of health insurance available, and how to plan for managed care, among additional related and helpful topics. Best of all, the authors' advice on comparison shopping really hits the mark for our present economy.

After reading this book, I felt better informed and more able to make an educated choice on the various insurances I've learned I so badly need. This is a bible for anyone without previous experience in these areas and a resource for those who need a brush-up on specifics.