Profile for Michael Whitlock > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael Whitlock RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA USA)

In Your Honor
In Your Honor
12 used & new from $6.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't Get Fooled Again, September 8, 2005
This review is from: In Your Honor (Audio CD)
Articles in the papers and Sony-owned media outlets are telling us that this and a couple of other albums released with this abominable copy protection are selling as well as forecast. What they're not saying is a lot of these sales are to people like me, who bought this album without realizing that it wouldn't play on their iPod or some of their CD/DVD players. I have a 3-hour commute every day and can't even enjoy this CD (that I forked out 30 bucks for) because I might potentially, conceivably, and within the realm of possibilities be a thief. Did I just purchase this CD or rent it?

Sorry, Foo Fighter guys, I love your stuff but I wouldn't have touched this release if I had known it would be so user-unfriendly. What did The Who say? "Won't get fooled again."

Jimmy Olsen: Adventures by Jack Kirby - Volume 1
Jimmy Olsen: Adventures by Jack Kirby - Volume 1
by Jack Kirby
31 used & new from $7.95

5.0 out of 5 stars King Kirby Shakes Up Superman's Pal!, July 23, 2004
Being of the generation that first got into comics in the mid-to-late 70's, I can only imagine how shocking it must have been for those who grew up in the 60's to see Jack Kirby's art on covers with the DC Comics bullet. The man renowned for co-creating the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Silver Surfer and Galactus and for giving Thor his trademark epic scale visuals was now working for the enemy?? Must've been a strange sensation. I know that one of the reasons I first picked up Kirby's "Jimmy Olsen" run was to see Superman drawn by JK while was still more-or-less in his prime. I wasn't disappointed. Nor was I disappointed by this collection, the first to offer the first 8 issues of JK's the "Jimmy Olsen" title.

These stories introduce us to a variety of fresh and innovative characters and places - some of whom are still very much in the forefront of DC storytelling today (read: Darkseid, Inter-Gang, the New Gods, Apokolips). Kirby brought with him a storytelling style that, considering the period, feels very un-DC with big bolded words in lengthy expository dialogue boxes at the beginning of every issue (with lots of exclamation points!!!!). He effortlessly moved from cosmic adventures to those of a more down-to-earth variety without missing a beat or making the reader wish he'd get back to the good stuff. The first time I read this stuff I remember being struck by the energy he brought to otherwise rather mundane characters.

Given that the good people at DC have only gifted the reading public with black and white reprints of Kirby's other Fourth World titles (boo hiss!), it's a special treat to have these collected in color. Who knows how long this'll be in print so, if you're a Kirby fan, do yourself a favor and pick this up!

Hellboy Junior
Hellboy Junior
by Mike Mignola
Price: $13.16
53 used & new from $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I've Got Only One Thing to Say -- Huge Retarded Duck!, July 22, 2004
This review is from: Hellboy Junior (Paperback)
You don't have to like Mike Mignola's Hellboy character to LOVE Hellboy Junior. Heck, you don't even need to have heard of Hellboy to have rip-roarin?, laugh out loud, pee in your pants, bust a gut good time. While a portion of this is no doubt due to Mignola, the real star of this Hellboy extravaganza is Bill Wray, of Ren & Stimpy fame.

Wray rips Mignola's wonderfully gothic character from his normal mystery-researching, heavily shadowed milieu, turns him (a la Hot Stuff) into a youthful diaper-wearing devilwho hasn't made a name for himself yet and drops him smack dab in the middle of a late 60's-early 70's underground comics version of Hell -- complete with guest appearances (and lots of nasty trickery) by Adolph Hitler and Idi Amin!

In addition to Hellboy's misadventures, you're treated to such memorable characters as Sparky Bear, the Ginger Beef Boy and my favorites, the Wolvertons & Huge Retarded Duck.

If you think you'd enjoy serious talents like Wray and Mignola embracing a different brand of comic storytelling, you could do a lot worse than picking up this book!

2995: The Legion of Super-Heroes Sourcebook (DC Heroes Role-Playing Game #263)
2995: The Legion of Super-Heroes Sourcebook (DC Heroes Role-Playing Game #263)
by Tom Bierbaum
15 used & new from $34.89

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for All Giffen-Bierbaums-Adult Legion Fans!, July 21, 2004
The Keith Giffen-Tom & Mary Bierbaum period of Legion continuity was one of the more interesting of the LSH's long and dynamic history. Some fans (like me) loved it and couldn't get enough of this until-recently familiar universe's new history -- while others despised what they saw as a darkening of the Legion charmingly optimistic future. If you were a fan of this run, you probably had more questions than answers about what happen to this character or how did that event impact your favorite charcter and in what sequence did events happen, etc., etc., etc. This gaming book has a heckuva lot of answers to these sorts of questions. A year-by-year breakdown of events during the so-called "5-Year Gap" fill in some of the blanks. The book is also packed full of other useful information (post-Crisis Legion lore, etc.), most of it cleverly disguised as excerpts from member log entries, personal journals, Science Police Criminal Files, publications such as "The Legion Groupie" and "Our Times: A Review of Contemporary News" -- and even the backs of trading cards! If you know what LLL means, you probably need to own it!

Oh yeah, all the standard gaming stuff is here too. Even non-gamers, like myself, will find interesting information in the Bierbaums-assigned point values for gaming categories such as dexterity, strength, will and spirit. Interesting aside: Timber Wolf, with an intelligence atribute of 6, was smarter than Karate Kid, with 5? Who'da thunk it? And if Mordru was so smart (INT: 12), how come he kept ending up buried in a big rock??

Highly recommended.

Sony Ericsson T616 Cell Phone (Cingular Wireless)
Sony Ericsson T616 Cell Phone (Cingular Wireless)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty phone with lots of features in a teeny, tiny package, July 20, 2004
Wow, the first review of this phone certainly doesn't sound like something I'd want to own. It also doesn't sound like the phone I do own.

I love my Sony Ericsson T616. It has the smartest and most computerlike interface I've seen yet on a cell. With this phone I've hopped on the Internet, emailed and text messaged friends, taken and sent pictures to others, played games (including Q*Bert), taken pictures of my friends and associated the pics with their numbers so that their picture pops up whenever they call, sent numbers back and forth via IR and Bluetooth, connected to my laptop via Bluetooth to backup my address book, pics, etc., as well as changed my "desktop" wallpaper, color themes and ringtones regularly. Heck! A friend of mine has actually used his SE T616 as a remote control for his laptop during a Powerpoint presentation!

Oh yeah ~ I've also used my phone to make a bunch of phone calls.

A full battery seems to have an unusally long life. Provided you don't over do it on the gabbing, gaming, IR or Bluetooth, you can go days before you have to recharge.

The only complaints I have would be:

1) VOLUME There's no separate volume control for the earpiece and voice mike. I will sometimes get complaints that my voice is coming through too loud but when I lower the volume, it's hard to hear them speak. This is only an occasional problem (usually outside, around traffic) and there's a nifty product that may or may not fix it (see below **).

2) SCREEN The screen is made of glass and touches your face. Gets a little greasy! The phone comes with a cloth with which to wipe the screen. Keep it handy!

Coolest accessory **

You can buy a wireless, Bluetooth headset that fits over your ear. This little baby (which I don't have yet - $100) may correct the volume issue and will definitely keep the screen aware from your face!

Hope this has been helpful!

Shrek/Shrek 3D Double Bill
Shrek/Shrek 3D Double Bill
DVD ~ Mike Myers
11 used & new from $6.97

3.0 out of 5 stars For collectors and kids...others beware!, May 15, 2004
This review is from: Shrek/Shrek 3D Double Bill (DVD)
Let's break it down. This bundled package comes with two DVDs individually wrapped in separate keep cases: Shrek and Shrek 3-D.
Shrek - Great film. Totally lame pan-and-scan version. I envision two scenarios. 1) Dreamworks executives think kids won't enjoy letterbox on standard TVs and so bundled Shrek 3-D with the pan-and-scan version of the original. Or, more likely, 2) they figured they could charge a lot more for only 16-minutes worth of new material by only selling it with the dumbed-down release (read: cheapest to reproduce) version of the original, which was the 1-disc so-called "full frame" version, as opposed to the double disc, extras-laden widescreen version.
Shrek 3-D - Fun but short continuation of the first film's storyline. The use of Anaglyph 3-D, rather than Field Sequential, is a shame but luckily there's a non-3-D version on the disc as well. It's interesting to note that, despite the version of Shrek it comes bundled with, Shrek 3-D is anamorphic widescreen.
My recommendation: Skip this unless, like me, you absolutely must have Shrek 3-D for your collection (you can always sell the pan-and-scan version to a friend or on Amazon or eBay) or you have kids who don't give a hoot one way or another about aspect ratio or Anaglyph vs. FS 3-D and just love Shrek.
Hope this helps.