Profile for J. Bias > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Bias "xdeckheadx" RSS Feed (Small town America)

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Offered by RAREWAVES-USA
Price: $13.82
107 used & new from $8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed...Again., September 29, 2014
Played this when it originally came out on the XBoX, but never really got into it. With all of the hub-bub about Destiny I decided to give Halo another shot. I remember now why it never took with me to begin with. To start off with the positives, game design was always top notch but with the refurbish version everything looks 10 times better. I really love the story as well and I think that is what has been driving this series. I don't have a Kinect so I can't really give a review on that but I have read complaints on other websites stating that Kinect reaction time is too slow and it is just bettter if you pressed buttons instead. I also haven't played the multiplayer section but I have also read on this that some of the maps have some programming flaws as well. Now for the cons: The music is atrocious and the audio mix is off. MUSIC: It seems like the developers just pick some teen-wanna-be-rockers who are a part of their local high school jazz band to make a score for a video game (not a movie mind you, but a video game). Then the developers took said mediocore music and put in random momments into the get that don't enchance the experience positively. About 20 minutes into the game the music was driving me nuts, so I went to settings to turn off the music. To my shock and awe there was no place where I could turn the music off. So now do I play for only 20 minutes before I get annoyed or just not play it all? Bad development flaw. This is a shame since the store of this magnitude deserves a cinematic score instead of a video game score. AUDIO: In the begining I had problems hearing the dialogue because of the music. Then when I got dropped off for a night mission I couldn't hear the dialoge because of my assult team was yelling and the engines to the Pelican transport were louder than the person who was giving me direction. And then I was supposed to have heard some dialogue, again for direction, but I couldn't hear over the rocket explosions that were kicking my butt. I'm not big on first person shooters anyway but I would prefer the old versions of Doom or Wolfenstein compared to this. I don't know if the other versions of Halo are any better than this so if you're reading this then you might want to start off on one of the latter versions. Then there's the easter eggs: which don't really do anything to enhace game play. There is a new thing called SKULLS: in which you have to find hidden skulls that can change game play and most of the are to enhance your oppnnents or give you god-like powers which just kill the challenge of the game. Also just a personal side note; All the little "bad guys" or grunts sound like little kids, whom half of which tend to run from you when they see you. With me running around killing these aliens makes me feel like a bully or that I am possibly the boogeyman that everyone is afraid of and they have every right to kill me. I don't like that, I'm supposed the honorable hero.

Mass Effect 3 - Xbox 360
Mass Effect 3 - Xbox 360
Offered by Detroit Packing Co.
Price: $16.55
227 used & new from $1.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Emotions, April 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've played Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 over and over. So when I heard that ME 3 was coming out I was giddy as a school girl. There were some things I loved about this game: planet scanning was revamped to make it less tedious, my character class wasn't limited to certain weapons which happens in ME2 but not ME1, modifying weapons like in ME1 but easier than ME1, the new design of the Normandy, the omni-blade and how all of past characters fit into this intergalactic battle to save all life (I just wish you had more interaction with them). Although there are few things I didn't like in the game: limitations of weapon modifications, when scanning planets you have a ping system that brings up places to probe which cuts scanning time down dramatically but draws reapers to your location as well as not being able to scan planets without pinging the system, the weight aspect of your weapons having an effect on your "powers", lack of being able to carry heavy weapons like grenade launcher or Cain throughout the game, and finally the ENDING. After playing through to the ending my knee-jerk reaction was shock, then anger, then rage, then depression, then denial and finally acceptance. So the ending stinks and I don't mind what happens to Shepherd no matter what you decide to do, I still think all in all based on the avatar's character, despite paragon or renegade, it was the right ending for him/her. In knowing of that repeat gameplay will be more likely.

Mass Effect - Xbox 360
Mass Effect - Xbox 360
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $13.65
182 used & new from $4.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it some time., April 16, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've played Mass Effect 2 & 3 so I bought this one to complete the trilogy and I have to say that out of the 3, this is the worst one. Design seems a little dated as compared to the other two but the biggest issue I had with this game was the shooting part of the game play. At first play when I was in a shoot out w/ some hostiles I would arm my weapon and just unload into them without effect! If a hostile is right in your face how can you miss with every single shot! So I gave up on the came and came back to give it a second chance (I've played 2 & 3 until I couldn't stand it anymore and wanted to play something new for a change). Second time around I realized that even though your avitar maybe equipped with all of the weapons (assult rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle and pistol) that depending on the class you assign your character (soldier, infiltrator, vanguard etc.) only has a set skill for certain weapons. On top of that, the accuracy level of each weapon depends on whether or not you're going to hit your enemy with that weapon (so if a weapon has an accuracy rate of 1 out of 100 what's the freaking point of even bringing into a fight much less equiping it). So with that figured out I'm back into the game and enjoying it very much. However there are some bad things mixed in with the good. I hate all of the planetary searches for side missions/tasks (I'd be so glad that I won't have to see much of another mountain range of some barren planet). The whole item accumilation thing is nuts w/ all grades of armour & weapon upgrades then having a limit but then I guess that's how Dragon Age & Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic were like as well. Then the mini-puzzle games for unlocking safes, lockers, artifacts and whatnot aren't fun and lack imagination; gimme the mini-games from ME2. In a nutshell, out of the 3 games this is the worst of them (I would equate it to Return of the Jedi, still great but not as great as Star Wars IV: A New Hope). This is the first of the trilogy and a little more rougher around the edges so just be a little patient and you will love this game just as much as 2 & 3. Story is still great. Garrus is such a tool in this game, glad they make him a bad @$$ in the next one.

Marvel Universe Marvel`s Greatest Battles Comic Packs - Gambit and Mister Sinister Pack 4 Inches
Offered by Outlander Toys
Price: $54.95
9 used & new from $44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, January 26, 2012
Gambit is one of my favorite X-Men and Mr. Sinister is one of my favorite X-Men enemies, so when this set came out I was excited. I had purchased the Gambit figure from the Wolverine Origins series and was disappointed that the figures from that line were not as articulated as the figures in the Marvel Universe 3.75" line so I anxiously awaited for Hasbro to release a Gambit version with equal articulation as the rest of the Marvel Universe line. Well Hasbro chinced out again by re-releasing Gambit from the Wolverine Origins line. Sinister is also a re-paint of the Colossus body type which if they were going to use a base-type to make Sinister Colossus' wasn't a bad choice, however the cape doesn't stay on the figure (it's not attached but just "fits" on around the head). I just now hope that Hasbro will make an improved version of Gambit and release him as a single packaged figure or in another Greatest Battles pack coupled with Rogue. I can't say not to get it b/c Hasbro has been known for restarting a series of action figures and then stopping production of that line before making any other prominant characters but just be prepared that this is going to be a cheaper product then the rest of the line.

X-Men: The Legacy Quest Trilogy Omnibus
X-Men: The Legacy Quest Trilogy Omnibus
by Stephen L. Lyons
22 used & new from $5.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, November 11, 2009
Thought this was a graphic novel collection of all the comic issues regarding the X-Men's Legacy Virus Epic; I was wrong and right. While although it does cover all of the Legacy epic, it's not a graphic novel. This book is an actual novel with a few illustrations here and there. I probably wouldn't mind the story but part of the whole thing about comics is the artwork which is lost on this item. I'd say take a pass on this and read the actual comix instead
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2010 2:33 AM PDT

Gullivera
Gullivera
by Milo Manara
22 used & new from $40.00

4.0 out of 5 stars What an adventure, August 20, 2009
This review is from: Gullivera (Paperback)
I seen Manara's work published in other publications for a long time now and I have always admired his artwork. Although this a pretty short graphic novel (about 70-80 pages)and not as hardcore as some of his other works like Click but I still find this very erotic. What I love about Manara is that he has skill in balancing the line between art and perversion and still keep the reader captivated. This was one of the first stories of his I ever read and had been hooked ever since. I just wish there was more to the story b/c some of it seemed kind of rushed.

More Annotated H.P. Lovecraft
More Annotated H.P. Lovecraft
by S. T. Joshi
14 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad HPL reference, July 27, 2009
I have some mixed feelings about this book as well as The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft. The Pro's to this collection are that it's a great collection of his work and a good start for anyone who wants to get into Lovecraft and the annotated notes are very enlightening for the most part. In the annotation there are a lot of intriguing mentions that sparked my interest in other occultic/metaphysical readings. However the annotations in this book are also probably the only flaw. Despite great insight into the writings of Lovecraft, the annotations inadvertently tend to act as "reading speed bumps" that actually happen frequently, chopping up the rhythms of the stories (there are a few pages where the annotation takes up anywhere from 50 to 75 % of a page). So what I recommend is that for a person new to H.P. Lovecraft, first find another collection so you can enjoy the stories first time around and then get these books and re-read them with the annotations which will give you a more indepth view of Lovecraft's writings. As far as anyone who is already read these stories I'd say you still need to read these books. I tend to use these two books more as a reference than for enjoyment yet feel that they are important books in my HPL collection.

Two Hunters
Two Hunters
Price: $13.45
34 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!, November 29, 2007
This review is from: Two Hunters (Audio CD)
I'm not really into the whole "black metal" scene and from what I heard I think MOST of it is just too silly. However I read an on-line article regarding Wolves in The Throne Room which intrigued me. I went to iTunes downloaded what I could (which was Cleansing from Two Hunters) and I immediately fell in love with them. I proceeded to purchase the rest of the album as well as Diadem of 12 Stars. On both albums I was not disappointed at all, although I would say Two Hunters seems to be more well crafted. I constantly play them when I can because I can't seem to get them out of my head. So for those who aren't into "black metal" but are looking for something heavy I'd say gives these guys a chance you won't regret it. For those who are die-hard "black metal" fans, get it you won't be disappointed. Best tracks? If I had to pick... anything on Two Hunters (there are only 4 tracks so there isn't much room for picking and choosing but you really can't go wrong with any of them). Be prepared though tracks can last anywhere from 6 to 20 minutes so an album with only 4 songs can actually equal out to a 12 track LP. This is some of the best new music out there that I've heard in at least 3-4 yrs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2008 7:35 AM PST

Monster Island: A Zombie Novel
Monster Island: A Zombie Novel
by David Wellington
Price: $11.16
176 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombies, mummies & pigeons, oh my!, October 29, 2007
First off I'm not much of a reader so I have high expectations of whatever I decide to dedicate my time to. Secondly, I haven't really read too much of zombie horror to know what is good in this subgenre of horror fiction. I am, however, quite the zombie horror movie enthusist. Now you, the reader, have an idea where I'm coming from in this review.
Ever since seeing the opening to Zombie (Zombi 2) by Lucio Fulci and actually living in NYC for awhile, I had always fantasized about a re-animated dead outbreak & what I would do in that situation. I was thrilled to have stumbled across this book after reading the synopsis on the cover so I had to pick it up. Here's what I thought after reading the book.
The book is an easy read (broken up into short sections allowing people who don't have much time to read to easily pick the book up for brief periods) & Wellingtion is an excellent writer as far as his descriptions go as well as his ability to grab the reader's attention. However I had many problems with this story. 1) Wellington deviates from standard zombie code especially with the main antagonist & his mentor. 2) Wellington creates sleight-of-hand resolutions to situations without explainations (i.e. the RPG w/ the riot cops) which makes you feel like the writer is also playing God not just telling a story and that you as well as the characters are at his mercy and not that of the whole zombie mythos (or even reality). 3) The protagonist is a freaking dufus especially for a U.N. weapons inspector (if the U.N. had weapons inspectors like the protagonist then every 5th grader in the world would be able to hide his/her stockpile of WMD's). I found myself cheering more for the antagonist than I did for the portagonist. I had picked this book up to bide my time in wait for World War Z by Max Brooks to come out in paperback and I have to say that despite the positives I don't think I'll continue the series. I hope and assume that there is better zombie horror fiction out there and right now I'd have to classify this book as mediocre to decent. It was decent entertainment but not done in a clever or intelligent way. I do have to give kudos to Wellington in attempt to do something different in a genre that has been exhausted in the film industry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

Heresy
Heresy
12 used & new from $25.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark Stuff, May 31, 2007
This review is from: Heresy (Audio CD)
When I read a review stating that this CD was like a trip through Hell, I was intrigued. I bought, I listened and I LOVE! However for those of you who are new to ambient you have to keep in mind that ambient is background music: you either focus all of your attention into the production letting the music take you on a trip into your own imagination or you put it on to have something playing. Ambient isn't just something you can mosh to, get jiggy w/ or play @ your pool party. I love where Brian Williams takes you with all of these chilling tones. In retrospect of all of his other work I have heard (The Monstrous Soul & Purifying Fire) this is the only album you'll need to get the best expirence of Williams' work. All other albums seem to be very very similar to this one, yet Heresy has a little umph to it to make it more unique than the rest.