Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Natalia > Reviews

Browse

Natalia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Natalia RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2
The World at War
The World at War
DVD ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by Park Slope Outlet
Price: $22.25
38 used & new from $12.13

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish everybody would have watched it in high school., March 2, 2009
This review is from: The World at War (DVD)
On the scale of 1 to 100, I'd give it 100. I wish everybody would have watched it in high school. And remember it for the rest of their lives. It is not about "how British / Americans/ Russians won the war". As Jeremy Isaacs said in his introduction, it is not possible to tell everything about this war. They did the best they could; and these series should be part of the high school curriculum all around the world.

Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream
Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream
by Barbara Ehrenreich
440 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Liars don't get great jobs ? Yes, they do, the best ones., March 2, 2009
Liars don't get great jobs? Yes, they do the best ones. Especially in big corporations, wake up, look around you. Corporate people are so used to every day's lies; they consider it's normal, or even "a work of art". And if someone disagrees, they have "a loser" label ready.
I wouldn't have used the "help" of coachers (unless they are paid for the real connections they can provide). I'd look for a really good head hunter, and etc. And there are still good teams in some corporations (not the biggest ones), and there are still some corporations that appreciate their employees, but it's very difficult to find one. But this book is not about "how to find a job of your dreams". It's about "it's better to stop dreaming and face a real world of corporations". And read the corporations' best seller "Who moved my cheese?" Is it about you? Do you feel like a rat? Do you want to be a rat for the rest of your life? Read advices "how to manage your boss from hell", whose idea of a professional is "a device with 2-5 years life expectancy", if you press it really hard and then discard for a new one, not better, but cheaper. Just make sure the first one works 24/7 training the new one before kicking the first one out. I found this book worth reading, even if I do not agree with everything in it.

The Russian Debutante's Handbook
The Russian Debutante's Handbook
by Gary Shteyngart
Price: $13.80
275 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars I cringed, February 23, 2009
I cringed reading this book (did not finish). I agree with the reader who said "I genuinely hope that he is never allowed to inflict another book upon the reading public." Just an attempt to make money by using a lot of false stereotypes.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a joy to read, January 21, 2009
Yes, some geography details have changed since the book was written, but a lot of them haven't. And children should know that the world is constantly changing. This is not the last edition of ever so changing "National Geographic Map of the World", but this book is a very good starting point to learn geography. I read this book to my 9 years old son, and we both enjoy it. He checks the map, reads over my shoulder, retells the things he learned from this book to other people; and the word "geography" is not some dull and dusty word for him, it sounds like "an adventure". I have to tell him about some changes, but this makes it even more interesting to him. I got "Children's History of the World" and "Children's History of the Art" by the same author. He was a teacher, and he knew how to teach and how to write for children. Age group for this book: 9-11.

Tamburlaine's Elephants
Tamburlaine's Elephants
by Geraldine McCaughrean
35 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best authors of our time, January 21, 2009
I read all the books by this author. I like her language, her fresh look at every "known fact", her imagination, her style. And above all, the way she make us think about things that we usually take for granted. Her books are not for "reluctant readers", but even reluctant readers will be captivated, if her books are read to them by their parents. Her books are not sentimental, but they are not "nasty because children like nastiness". You are able to see in your mind every detail you read about; it is captivating. Work of art.

Normande Organizer Desk Lamp, Black (Not CA Compliant)
Normande Organizer Desk Lamp, Black (Not CA Compliant)

1.0 out of 5 stars I won't buy anything from this company again, January 21, 2009
Very shoddy work, "cheap and unworkable product from China". The neck of this lamp is not attached properly to it's base, so it keeps falling down. The plastic around the neck and the base is chipped. May be some lucky customers got their lamps from other manufactures. I had a lamp that looked like this one (without organizer, but I do not care about this much), and it lasted for 10 years. This one was a disaster the moment I opened the package. If you really want to buy something like this, do not do it through internet, since there is no way to know where it comes from. The only good thing is that I bought it through amazon, and I can get a refund.

I am Spartapuss
I am Spartapuss
by Robin Price
3 used & new from $2.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 19, 2008
This review is from: I am Spartapuss (Hardcover)
My 9 years old son loved it. I enjoyed reading it too.
It's better if a kid knows some Roman history before he starts reading this book, though. And if he doesn't know too much about Romans , then he will learn some by the end of the book.

Nobody's Boy
Nobody's Boy
by Hector Malot
18 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books for children, May 13, 2008
This review is from: Nobody's Boy (Hardcover)
One of the best books for children ever written. I read it in Russian, when I was a kid. I reread it several times after. I read it to my sons. They both loved it. Why it is so difficult to find? This book should be available to every kid!

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $6.65
2941 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry for the girls who could not find anything better to read., May 7, 2008
I heard from my niece that it was the "best book ever", read about the author's love for Orson Card and Jane Austen (I love their books), so I got this book from the library and did my best to read it (waste of precious time and effort). There are so many great books to read, why pick up this vapid one? Disturbing and disgusting. Is it marketing or fashion? Does the author really like Orson Card and Jane Austen? It is an insult to them both to even be mentioned in connection with this book.

The Glass Bead Game
The Glass Bead Game
by Hermann Hesse
8 used & new from $149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Hesse's book, May 3, 2008
This review is from: The Glass Bead Game (Hardcover)
First time I read it when I was 15, and I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read. One has to be prepared to read this book and to be able to accept all: strange combination of math, music, language, different ideas, search for harmony. I reread this book every 2-3 years.

Page: 1 | 2