Profile for J. Sundquist > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 76

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Sundquist RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
BRK Brands 9120 Hardwire Smoke Alarm
BRK Brands 9120 Hardwire Smoke Alarm
Offered by BIC Warehouse
Price: $10.66
34 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for the old BRK 4919, July 12, 2013
I recently had a lot of construction in my house with drywall dust everywhere. Once the project was over, I notice two of my smoke alarms (old BRK 4919) had a solid red light on all the time. That light used to blink every so often. Doing some research online to see if they smoke alarms were bad, I discovered that they are supposed to be replaced every 10 years anyway. These being 12 years old, it was time.

According to BRK, the 9120 is the replacement version of my old 4919 model.

As pointed out by several other people, the 9120 is the non-battery backup version. If you want the one that is hard wired but also has a battery backup, get the BRK 9120B (I guess the B is for Battery).

There are two types of smoke alarms: Ionizing and photoelectric. They detect smoke / fire in different ways. This model is an ionizing version. My plan is to replace all of my hard wired alarms with the 9120 and add some battery only powered dual sensor alarms like the First Alert SA320CN Double Sensor Battery-Powered Smoke and Fire Alarmthat use both ionizing and photoelectric sensors. I'll put the dual sensor alarms in the hallways where they're outside of the bedrooms. With this setup, I'm covered with both types of sensors and have both hard wired and battery powered alarms. It also allows me to install the battery powered ones where they're easy to reach, since some of the hard wired ones are too high and would be annoying to have to get to twice a year to change the backup battery.

I bought four of these BRK 9120's and opted not to get the battery backup version as I have a separate smoke alarm tied to the house alarm system and yet another battery only powered one. They arrived fine. The product packaging is fairly flimsy cardboard and my first thought was that it had been opened and returned. I inspected the contents and nothing looked used at all. I opened a second one that looked the same way and realized that it's just cheap packaging, not that I had a used or defective item.

I took off the old BRK 4919 by first shutting off the circuit breaker that powers my smoke alarms, twisted it off the base plate then disconnected the power wire by pulling it straight out. I quickly checked to see if the new BRK 9120 would just twist right onto the old base plate, but it wouldn't. The 9120 is bigger than the old 4919.

I removed the old base plate by just loosening the two screws that hold it up a few turns, then the base plate twists off. The power connector stays in the ceiling and luckily fit directly with the new BRK 9120 alarm. The new base plate goes right over the same two screws from the old one, twist it till it stops, then tighten the screws back up.

Now, just take the new smoke alarm, plug the power connector into the back of it, line it up with the marks on the base plate and twist it onto the base plate until it stops.

I had two Firex brand smoke detectors that had a different power connector than the others. This just had one extra step. The old power connector was attached to the house wiring with wire nuts. Just unscrew the wire nuts one at a time to disconnect the wires from the old power connector. Then take the new power connector from the box and connect the black wire to the black house wire, white to white, and orange to red. Screw the wire nuts back over each wire connection and you're done. Now just complete the setup as mentioned above.

Remember to turn the circuit breaker power back on when you're done and test. Pressing the test button on the new smoke alarm should make ALL of your alarms go off at the same time.

The entire process took about 5 minutes and was super easy.

I uploaded a few pictures of the process above on the product page (upper left under customer images)comparing the old and new smoke alarms as well as showing the base plate screws and power connector.

I replaced the first two a few weeks ago and have not had any false alarms with them.

So far, I'm quite happy with these smoke detectors and would buy them again.

I'm happy to answer any questions.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2014 5:53 AM PST

Ikea 502.821.77 Lack wall shelf, concealed mounting, white
Ikea 502.821.77 Lack wall shelf, concealed mounting, white
Offered by What America Buys
Price: $15.70
11 used & new from $11.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, serves its purpose, May 17, 2013
I needed to move my cable modem and router into my utility room and wanted them high and out of the way. I had seen this style of floating shelves before at Ikea but wasn't headed that way anytime soon. I was happy to find them on amazon at only a slight markup.

This shelf just has two screw hole slots on the back. You must put two screws into the wall (after measuring how far apart to put them) and the shelf just slides over the two screws and you're done.

When just going into sheetrock, I always suggest you use wall anchors as most screws aren't able to hold much weight at all in drywall as the drywall just isn't rigid enough to provide a solid hold for the screws.

I'd guess the cable modem and Wi-Fi router weigh a combined five pounds. The shelf feels quite solid with this weight and I'm not worried about it coming down.

When my wife saw it, her exact words were "Aww, that shelf is too pretty to put in the utility room!"

If you have decorative and semi light items or stuffed animals in a kids room, this shelf would suit your needs. It looks good and isn't too tough to install although I don't recommend it to anyone that needs to hold more than maybe ten pounds at the absolute max.

For installation, the best way I'd recommend is to get a roll of masking tape, stick a strip of tape to the wall roughly level where you want to put the shelf. Next get a level and put it on the tape. When you find the level point, use a pen or pencil to draw a straight line on the tape for you to mark where to put your screws.

Next, take a tape measure and measure from the middle of the first screw slot on the shelf to the middle of the second. Now go to your level masking tape line that you made and mark where to put your screws and wall anchors by just measuring the same distance you measured on the shelf and drawing a dot at the beginning and the end. Now pound in your wall anchors right through the tape, then remove the tape and put your screws in with maybe a quarter of an inch sticking out for the shelf to slide onto.

Keep in mind that the closer the screw is screwed into the wall, the tighter the shelf will fit and more secure it will feel. BUT if you screw in the screws too much, the shelf won't be able to catch them to slide over. Play a bit with the screw depth and you'll be fine.

Overall I like the product. I give it four stars only because I feel it should have come with wall anchors and screws as well as a template showing exactly how far apart to put the screws so you don't have to do the measuring dance I described above.

I would buy it again. I'm happy to answer any questions.

I uploaded a picture of it installed with my cable modem and router on it so you can judge the size of it compared to these items (Look at the product images above.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2014 10:58 PM PDT

Keeping Count Funny Car Window Wall Laptop Decal Sticker -- White 12in X 6.3in
Keeping Count Funny Car Window Wall Laptop Decal Sticker -- White 12in X 6.3in
Offered by Rad Dezigns
Price: $8.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Decal, May 17, 2013
I bought this to install on my minivan (just because it's twice as funny on a minivan).

I ordered on Monday and it arrived on Thursday so shipping was pretty fast.

Installation was relatively easy, but keep in mind this decal is fairly large and has a lot of separate pieces on the backing paper. As you're trying to transfer it, you have to be very careful while peeling off the paper that none of them stay stuck to the transfer paper and while doing that you have to make sure the rest of the decal doesn't accidentally stick somewhere you didn't want it to.

If you think it through and take it slowly, it transfers fine.

I've uploaded a picture of it installed on the van as well. I got the 12" x 6.3" and put it on my back window.

I would buy this again and would recommend it to others.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sterilite 29308001 3-Drawer Wide Cart with See-Through Drawers and Black Casters, White
Price: $19.97
34 used & new from $19.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Stackable! Great for storing tons of baby clothes and items in the closet, May 10, 2013
While getting the bedroom ready for the birth of our next child, we realized that we didn't have room for more furniture, but that we needed more storage and drawer space.

I bought two sets of these drawers and found that if you pull the lid off of one set, the other set will stack perfectly into the four corner posts of the set you took the lid off of, creating one set of six drawers.

I attached pictures of them stacked in the closet. I didn't bother attaching the wheels as I don't need them for this use.

The bottom line for me is these are decent quality and made the closet WAY more useful as I can put baby clothes in half of the drawers and supplies like diapers and wipes in the other ones.

Just remember if you stack them to put the heavier things in the bottom drawers to keep it stable and help reduce the chance of it tipping.

Princess Inside vinyl decal sticker, Hot Pink
Princess Inside vinyl decal sticker, Hot Pink
Offered by KW Supply
Price: $5.06
2 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Sticker, May 10, 2013
I bought this in hot pink (yes, she IS a princess). It's a perfect size and my daughter thinks it's the greatest.

It arrived within a few days and was easy to install on my car window.

I uploaded a picture here on the product pictures to show the size as installed on my minivan for perspective.

I would buy this again.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Prime-Line Products GD 52119 Deadbolt Lock, Center Mount with Key Cylinder, Aluminum Painted
Price: $9.17
33 used & new from $3.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement lock, May 10, 2013
I never had a key for my old garage that was built in the 50's and needed to start storing some power equipment in it. I wasn't comfortable leaving the garage door unlocked.

I found this lock here on amazon and by the pictures, it looked the same as the original. For the twelve bucks it cost and the generally good reviews, I decided to give it a try.

The result is that it was an exact match for my 1950's era lock that depot and the other stores had never heard of. Installation took about 10 minutes including removing the old lock and it worked perfectly.

Matching up the parts, it's almost an exact match on everything. Luckily for me, the screw length was fine, but I had my Dremel with me to shorten them if needed as some other reviews mentioned.

The quality of the hardware is fine. I don't see any real difference in quality between the original and this one so none of the worries about cheap foreign made products seem to apply here.

The keys look like standard schlage style keys. I'm going to get copies made. If they have any issues finding a compatible blank, I'll state that with an update to this review.

I would definitely buy this lock again in the future.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2013 5:46 PM PDT

Murray LC1632B1150 16 Space 32 Circuit, Max 150-Amps Indoor Main Breaker Load Center
Price: $127.40

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a 100 amp panel!, December 10, 2012
I bought this in order to replace my flood damaged 100 amp circuit panel.

The panel that arrived was 150 amps and not 100 amps. You can't use a 150 amp panel with 100 amp service as anything over 100 amps of power should trip the main breaker. The 150 amp panel will let it go all the way to 150 amps which could be a fire hazard, etc.

Looking into it further, the model numbers on Murray Electric panels end with the amps of the panel. In this case the model number ends with 150 which means it's a 150 amp panel and Amazon's description is wrong.

The 100 amp panel's model number ends with 100, such as LC1224B1100.

Winterize Sprinkler System Blow Out Adapter: Air Compressor to National Pipe Threads (NPT) Set with Shut Off Valve - Contains all common sizes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome kit paid for itself after one use, October 21, 2012
I was motivated to buy this adapter after noticing that the last two years, the sprinkler guy that charges me $60 to blow out my sprinklers always seemed to find a broken sprinkler head when blowing out the system even though I never noticed any of them broken all year.

He would unscrew them and take them with him pretty much trying to force me to call him in the spring to turn the system back on (which I never do as it's just a matter of turning the water back on) and then charging me to replace the sprinkler heads that he took with him.

I recently bought the Porter-Cable PC3PAK Finish Nailer/Brad Nailer/Stapler Compressor Combo Kit and decided that since I now have an air compressor, I may as well try to blow out the sprinkler system myself.

I usually try to buy my products directly from Amazon due to their speedy shipping, this item was only available via the manufacturer, but I'm happy to report they shipped it priority mail and it got to me in about 2 days.

Now to the meat and potatos!

Upon receiving this kit, I shut off the water to my sprinkler system, went out to the water line that comes out of the house and down to the sprinkler box. I unscrewed the cap on the top of the pipe and figured out which of the adapters in the kit was the right size to screw into the pipe. I found it and noticed it needed a 2nd adapter to match up to the main hose.

I took the teflon tape that came with the kit (awesome!) taped up the threads on the fittings being mindful not to tape the first thread on any of them (you don't want any tape coming loose and getting blown into your plumbing) and connected it all up to the sprinkler water pipe.

I connected it to my air compressor air line with the quick connect it comes with and was in business.

Check out the pictures I added to the product pictures on this item to see the final setup.

Bottom line, it worked like a champ.

The only part that sucked was that my compressor tank is just a bit small for this job so I had to empty the whole air tank into the sprinkler system, shut off the air flow (made sure easy by the shut off valve built into this unit), and let the compressor refill the tank a couple of times per sprinkler zone.

I know a lot of the videos on youtube show people opening up their sprinkler box and turning the solenoid valves to switch between zones. Since I have the IrrigationCaddy sprinkler controller that can be controlled by my iphone, I just turned it on as if I was running the sprinklers then switched through each zone one at a time until they were all blown out. Once I was done, I shut the system off and am done until spring.

Bottom line, this connector works wonderfully, comes with a million adapters so should fit just about any water connection and was cheap.

The fact that it just saved me $60 that it would have cost me to pay the sprinkler guy plus the extra money the guy would have charged me to replace the supposedly broken sprinkler heads in the spring means this thing just paid for itself and saved me at least $30 on top of its price for one use.

This kit is high quality and I'd expect it to work for years which means it's going to keep on saving me money year after year.

I would buy it again and would recommend it to friends and family.

Hunter PGP Adjustable Rotor Head
Hunter PGP Adjustable Rotor Head
Offered by Jamlyn-Supply
Price: $11.65
16 used & new from $7.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for my broken Hunter PGP sprinkler head, June 1, 2012
This review is from: Hunter PGP Adjustable Rotor Head
I bought this after I accidentally drove over my Hunter PGP sprinkler head while it was running and did a fine job of destroying it.

I was quite unhappy as I knew that calling the sprinkler company to come and replace it would set me back fifty bucks. I decided to see if I could do it myself.

A quick search here on amazon turned up this sprinkler head which looked exactly like the one I broke so I decided to give it a try. At the very least, for twelve dollars, I wasn't risking much if I didn't succeed.

One tip I'll recommend is that these heads do not come with the white plastic adjustment tool that you'll need to set where it sprays and how far the stream goes. Buy Hunter PGP Adjustment Tool along with this sprinkler head so you can adjust it when it comes.

This sprinkler head did indeed turn out to be a perfect match for my broken one. The only issue that I had was that after I dug the dirt away from the existing head and unscrewed it, the threaded connector that connects the head to the water line came off with the old sprinkler head. It was too tight and wouldn't come off the old one. My solution was to unscrew the damaged top of the old sprinkler, which lets you remove the top of the sprinkler and the guts, just leaving the outer shell with the threaded connector behind. I then unscrewed the top of the new head and dropped everything into the old sprinkler body which worked fine.

Once everything was back together and screwed back into the water line, I fired it up and watched happily as it worked as expected with one exception. It was shooting the water in a single powerful stream about 30 feet away when what I needed was more of a mist that would cover about a 10 foot diameter. Unfortunately, the replacement head did not come with instructions.

As another review stated, there are great instructions on youtube. Go to youtube and search for "How to adjust Hunter Rotors". Basically, you use the Hunter Adjustment Tool which has two different ends. One of the slots on top of the sprinkler adjusts the distance the water will be thrown and the other slot adjusts how far the sprinkler rotates to the left. You adjust how far it rotates to the right while the water is on and the sprinkler is popped up by grabbing about half way up the part that pops up and just turn it by hand to the right.

You can check where it's stopping to the left or right by just grabbing the very top of the sprinkler while it's running and twisting it right until it stops then left until it stops. Be careful to only turn it in the direction it's already moving. So if it's turning to the left and you want to see how far it will go to the right then you must first turn it all the way to the left until it stops, then you can turn it all the way to the right. It should move easily and you should not have to force it at all.

Overall I'm very happy with the product with the exception that it doesn't come with instructions or the adjustment tool, which is why I gave it four stars.

If you're considering trying to replace one of these yourself, go for it! It's much easier than I expected and all that's required is the ability to dig out the dirt from around the old one, unscrewing the old one, screwing on the new one and adjusting it (use the youtube videos!).

I'm happy to answer any questions!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2014 4:53 AM PDT

Holmes Lil Blizzard 7-Inch Oscillating Personal Fan, HAOF87BLZ-UC
Holmes Lil Blizzard 7-Inch Oscillating Personal Fan, HAOF87BLZ-UC
Price: $19.99
56 used & new from $11.50

2.0 out of 5 stars Died after 3 months, May 7, 2012
The fan was fine and worked well when it worked. I used it for some white noise and air circulation in my toddler's room.

After about three months it started making some odd noises when I'd turn it on but after a minute or two it ran normally until one day it just wouldn't turn on.

Maybe I got a dud, but I'm not willing to chance buying another one when this one had such a short life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8