Profile for Amy Henry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 513

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Henry RSS Feed (United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Emerson CF4900BS Southtowne Fan, Brushed Steel
Emerson CF4900BS Southtowne Fan, Brushed Steel
Offered by Del Mar Designs
Price: Click here to see our price
20 used & new from $494.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but NOT, NOT! a DIY project, November 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The story of the fan: parts 1 and 2, more to come.
The saga begins: but first, this is gorgeous, the blades are different colors on each side so if my decor ever changes to walnut, I can turn the blades over. I have them on the dark mahogany color now. This is minimal and elegant.

Part 1: I didn't realize when I got this I needed an electrician to put it together. I opened the box to find a whole bunch of parts, looking vaguely sinister with all the wiring cables. I did find out I needed an additional straight length to use for my vaulted ceiling, so I ordered a 24" one to match here on Amazon (add'l expense). And called an electrician (add'l expense). See, I've put in ceiling fans before, much cheaper ones, granted, from the home improvement store that probably weighed about 15 pounds.

Part 2: Electrician comes, starts putting together. He knew what he was doing so it wasn't difficult work, but more time-consuming. He was making good speed but it still took well over an hour to put most of it together. He was concerned that my light switch would have to be rewired since this has a light and a motor, and he was pleased that it was set up so my switch would be fine, but he would have to wire into it (taking it apart as well).

Then he saw that it weighed far more than any ceiling fan we'd seen so he needed to get a brace for the ceiling. This is an item where you usually don't have to cut into the ceiling but instead remove the existing electrical box, use that tiny 4" hole to put the brace up in, where you place it perpendicular to the rafters or joists and then adjust it so it widens out until it is secure between them. This is so that the fan doesn't hang from the electrical box (often installed with just a nail or two), possibly then falling and killing you. Apparently having a small action figure or Electrician Barbie that could do it would be helpful; as it is, I don't see how his hand will fit up there. This was an additional expense in parts (not including electrician's time).

The UBC (building code) from when I worked in construction required special bracing as mentioned if the fan was over 25 lbs. This feels more like 40 or more lbs. It is extremely heavy. I thought the product description said 15.4 lbs but I must have misread that (can't find it now). In any case, BE AWARE that this is heavier than the average bear.

Part 3: waiting for him to return with brace to finish. He's got about two hours to go if the brace installs easily. If it doesn't? Do I get a cut in my ceiling?

Will keep you updated!

Rock Your Hair Leave In Conditioner Weightless Detangler, 7.5 Ounce
Rock Your Hair Leave In Conditioner Weightless Detangler, 7.5 Ounce
Price: $9.41
15 used & new from $4.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Pass on this, November 22, 2014
Not the best I've tried, it showed little benefit after hair dried. I prefer Paul Mitchell's leave in , The Conditioner.

Also, the bottle design is very teeny-bopper, looks kind of cheap on the counter with the hot pink and fake rhinestones. Passing on to a preteen.

DE Digital Counting Coin Bank Savings Jar - Automatically Totals up Your Savings- Works with All U.S. Coins - (In Retail Packaging)
Offered by Filltech
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun activity for kids; gives mom a break too!, November 22, 2014
Besides the practical feature of this being a bank where your kid can see how much they have accumulated, it also is a great activity to get your kids out of your hair for a bit. Give them this and a big ol' jar of pennies and then go take a nap. Really, they are so excited by it that it kept them occupied for an hour.

I like that the base is plastic (no breakage) and that it only takes 2 AAA batteries to run. It's also small enough to be unobtrusive on their dresser. Much better than going to CoinStar and paying them 10% to count your coins.

Definitely great idea and much nicer than similar ones sold by Harbor Freight. Now go take that nap!

Item rec'd from manufacturer for unbiased review. It's unbiased because I love my naps!

Grill Brush Set 12" + 18" - Heavy Duty Extra Strong Stainless Steel - Perfect for Cleaning Charcoal, Gas, Electric and Infrared Outdoor BBQ Grills
Price: $47.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep your grill clean and your stomach safe!, November 22, 2014
Two super great grill brushes in alternating sizes so you can really get the crud off the grill and prevent burnups, AND not get the sticky residue from your last BBQ on your next BBQ meal!

What I liked best was how sturdy the bristles are woven around the brush: cheaper models that I've used had those awful metal bristles that broke off at times: last thing I want is pieces of metal in my food. These are wrapped in a way that they won't come loose, and if they do it will be a large enough piece to see.

I hang these right in my gas grill cabinet underneath but they also worked well on our Weber wood/charcoal grill. We also went to the park and I brought one to clean off the bbq unit they had at the site (the built in kind). Felt good to know I was cooking with a clean grill to start with.

Highly recommend! Easy to clean.

I rec'd sample for review: this is an unbiased winner!

Highest Quality Athleema Set of 3 Loop/mini Bands (Light, Medium, Heavy) 10" X 2" the Best Exercise Loop Resistance Bands for Any Workout. Great for Home Gyms, Yoga, Pilates, Physical Therapy. 100% Natural Latex. Lifetime Guarantee. Special Low Introductory Price.
Offered by Kane And Sons
Price: $13.99
2 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Stretch on the go with no big equipment to carry, November 22, 2014
Wow. I am SO unflexible. I was eager to try these to do a modified pilates routine at home, and went all out the first day with the different strengths. The next day I discovered just how wimpy I am: these are hardcore bands and I was just not ready for the flexing power.

Since that, I've decided to go more slowly and use them with less speed and more focus. I've discovered that I feel like I'm getting a terrific stretch in both legs and shoulders, and it's really nice to have this to use instead of a bunch of weights. I took these on a trip and didn't even use the hotel gym, these made for a great stretching workout and I just walked for the aerobic aspect.

High quality and doesn't seem to show any wear after many uses.

The only reason I deducted a star was that I wish there was a manual with more ideas to use these enclosed: I was a little confused at decided which to use when.

In all, I"m pleased.

I rec'd a sample for review by manufacturer.

Premium Silicone Basting Brush Set by Makimy
Premium Silicone Basting Brush Set by Makimy
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $12.96

5.0 out of 5 stars One for pastry, one for meat: perfect set., November 22, 2014
Being easy to clean is the greatest feature of these: better than fibre or other bristles. I can rinse these with a bit of dishwash soap and hot water and they clean beautifully. Additionally, the bristle brush base is secure to the handle, which has broken for me on other basting brushes.

I actually put some small stickers on these, one to designate the smaller one purely for baking purposes, and the other for meats and such. Just in case of cross contamination. I like the smaller one especially because doing an egg wash for empanadas or other pastry dishes only needs a small brushing, the bigger one works well on meats with its wider tip.

Handles are well balanced and feel strong. Heat resistant too, and they match my sort of "minimal" kitchen with the black and the stainless steel look.

I like these a great deal, and like the earth friendly packaging as well. They look classy and would make great gifts.

I rec'd sample for review, and can say, unbiasedly, that these are awesome.

Basting Brush - 12 Inch Stainless Steel Handle
Basting Brush - 12 Inch Stainless Steel Handle
Price: $28.99
2 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for BBQ and getting to baste in a hot oven!, November 22, 2014
Silicone brush bristles make the difference between real cleanup and icky germs! The basting brush I used previously had fiber bristles, the kind that seem gunky and sticky after just one use. I would soak them, scrub them, etc and they never felt clean. Since I was using them on meat, it freaked me out a little.

With these, the bristles are silicone and clean up is a breeze, so I'm not worried about germs sticking in the bristles. Additionally, this has a long reach handle so it's perfect for the bbq, more so than in the house. The stainless steel feels hefty and well-balanced, cheaper utensils feel cheaper. This looks really good, and I hang it in the door of my gas bbq after cleaning.

I recommend this above any natural bristle brush you can buy, and it works really well at spreading both the marinade and a dry rub paste.

I rec'd sample for review, this is an unbiased winner!

Jumbo Toy Hammock-Hanging Storage-Organizer-The Fast & Fun Way To Display And Declutter-Optimum Size (72 x 48 x 48 Inches)-Durable Deluxe Model - Multi-Purpose Uses From Children's Bedrooms To The Adults Garage - Easy Installation-Polyester Mesh Storage Unit-Made To Last - 100% Guarantee
Offered by Pacific Rim 1001
Price: $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Get those toys off the floor!, November 22, 2014
I had a chance to review this and was super happy as my son's bedroom is over run with stuffed animals. This got them up and out of the way and held an astonishing amount of them.

Installation is simple: first use the enclosed hook to place in the corner (which has a king stud so it will be secure without an anchor bolt). Then you measure out at the same height horizontally across to install two more hooks. You can use an anchor bolt (enclosed) if you have drywall but I measured 32" horizontal which let me put the hooks into studs for strength. Studs are a standard 16" on center.

After I was done and the toys were in it, I wished I had placed it higher on the wall: when full the inside sinks a great deal which came out to about an 18" drop from the horizontal hooks. This meant it was lower and closer to my son's head than I wanted (I put it over his bed in the corner). But I don't dislike it there, he actually likes it more that way because he can look up and see his friends. But keep that depth in mind before you place the first hook on the wall.

All the parts were enclosed (hooks anchor bolts, net) and I only need a hammer to lightly tap the hook in at first to start it threading into the stud. Installation took five minutes, which is a breeze.

It lost one star just because the elastic sides seemed to pull away from the wall between hooks: I may actually add two more hooks at the 16" point just to keep it from having a gap at the wall. It doesn't affect holding the toys though.

I rec'd sample to consider for review.

Makimy 15-piece Heart Shaped Silicone Chocolate, Candy and Jelly Mold
Makimy 15-piece Heart Shaped Silicone Chocolate, Candy and Jelly Mold
Price: $18.95
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Too pretty to eat? No, I still ate them., November 22, 2014
I am, sadly, not THAT mom. The cool one with the neat recipes on Pinterest pages. No one asks for my recipes, ever. But I do get in a mood at times to cook or frost a cake or do something culinary, Usually I regret it immediately when seeing the mess, and wonder why I didn't just buy what I slaved over to make. Sigh.

So when I got these I had the idea of all I could make for my kid's class, and how cute, all that good-mom stuff. Potential gift giving, etc.

They sat a bit before I realized I'm not even going to try something complicated. I'm just going to make chocolate hearts, using chocolate bars! As in, just melt in a double boiler easiness. I did that: melted four Hershey bars (the original) in a double boiler and when fluid just poured it in these molds. Stuck in the freezer for about fifteen minutes. And bam! These pop out immediately because of the silicone. Not a single one got stuck, and the edges of all but two were perfect.

It worked out to one Hershey bar per tray. And it looked, amazing. Lazy? Yes. Amazing? Yes.

So then it led me to Michaels where they had candy melts in assorted flavors, appealing to my uninspired cooking attitude.

I brought these home to the same trial,and was very pleased. I was happiest when I did something clever. Melted white and chocolate separately, and then poured drops of each into each heart. I used a toothpick to the swirl the drops. These made marble looking chocolates that looked classy.

So yes, I'm on a tear. These are fun. I probably will stick to chocolates and not do soaps or other neat stuff. BUT, I may still go to Pinterest to admire. In fact, for ideas, go to Pinterest and type in "candy molds" and you will see tons of "that-mom" ideas.

Rec'd by manufacturer for review consideration.

Professional Premium Meat Claws for Handling & Shredding All Kind of Meat - Get Ready for Thanksgiving - Gift Box - By Makimy
Price: $37.87
2 used & new from $14.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Channel your Wolverine in the kitchen., November 22, 2014
Can't wait to use these on turkey!

I've seen a restaurant use something similar for shredding Carnitas, and thought it made quick time of the work. These are very much like those claws. I thought I'd be using them similarly for pork or shredded beef, but the big surprise was that I used them on roast chicken.

I had an especially large baked bird and I wanted to lift it while leaving pan juices in the pan and not try and tip it out. Usually I do the completely non culinary method of a big fork inside the cavity and lifting with a spatula. Really not elegant and sort of tears up the bird. One time I was desperate and just used potholders to lift it out on the dry sides. Still, not perfect. Last week, I remembered these and put them on and SECURELY lifted the bird off the rack and to a carving board. Simple, simple, simple.

From then, I left these on the counter and again used them on the barbeque to do the same thing. It is a more secure lift and safer too.

I'm eager to use this on the turkey I do this week, because it's so much heavier and we always have issues moving it and keeping the pan juices in place.

They seem simple but like Post-It notes, really helpful and now a necessity

Be sure to keep them away from your kids: they WILL want these immediately upon sight but the tips are sharp.

Rec'd from manufacturer for review consideration

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20