Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more
Profile for Meg Sumner > Reviews

Browse

Meg Sumner's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2115
Top Reviewer Ranking: 504

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Meg Sumner RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII 100% Cotton, Tonal Fringe, Variegated, Machine Washable, Everyday Kitchen Basic Placemat, Set of 6, Eggplant
Price: $28.99
3 used & new from $20.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Grape ape!, May 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are a lovely set in a lovely grape color. They are larger than many placemats. The finish is a woven texture that feels soft but is woven tightly enough that stains will not set in between the weaves. I think it will clean up easier than loose weave placemats. There's almost a chenille finish to these.

I like that it is a set of six because my table sits six, BUT, normally we use four chairs. The extra ones are great for the table as a center piece, so getting the extra two is nice.

Stitching is well done with no hanging fibers and an even fringe throughout. And all are exactly the same size, which doesn't always happen with cheap placemats (sometimes the size varies by an inch or two!).

Sportswear Men's 100% Polyester Moisture-Wicking Short-Sleeve T-Shirt Jersey
Sportswear Men's 100% Polyester Moisture-Wicking Short-Sleeve T-Shirt Jersey
Offered by sttao
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fabric for workout or hangout, May 2, 2016
My son loves this fabric in his shirts, much more so than cotton. This hangs well with a nice drape. The fabric is really very nice. He also likes that his size L (his true size is L) hangs down enough to cover his waistband, which some shirts don't do and look bad in that sense.

He works out in this but also wears it around town. It's good for layering as well as it doesn't hold moisture or sweat like a tee-shirt.

The stitching around the arms on the inside could be a bit softer, but he got used to it with no issues in a couple of hours.

I hope they add more colors!

I rec'd a sample for inspection and review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Formeu Men's Stripes Low Cut No Show Athletic Socks For Spring and Summer 5-Pack Size 6-10
Offered by Formeu
Price: $22.00
2 used & new from $12.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great socks for women!, May 1, 2016
These are great looking with bright vibrant colors and a great fit. Except I'm a woman and these are designated men's socks. They fit me perfect (shoe size 9). So I'm not sure if that's a typo, but these will not fit my son (size 12). I think they should gear these to women exclusively as they are so attractive and the colors are very suitable for a woman's wardrobe.

The stitching is well done and the toes are seamed flawlessly so no little piggies get irritated or annoyed. The low height is just right and doesn't slip.

Photos coming!

The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions
The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions
by Tracey Hecht
Price: $9.44
50 used & new from $5.07

4.0 out of 5 stars 5th grade, 6th grade tops, May 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's cute. The animals are sassy and witty and speak on a level above general children's books. Enough so that a parent can laugh. The problem is, my kid didn't laugh much. He's nine and didn't really seem to get into it like I did.

I don't know the Lexile level of this title: I had an advance copy that didn't show that. But I'd say this is an appropriate title for 5th grade. I think the humor would come through then on a better level than for a third grader.

Country of Red Azaleas
Country of Red Azaleas
by Domnica Radulescu
Price: $18.83
67 used & new from $4.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing characters in a disturbing setting that felt demeaned by their presence, May 1, 2016
This review is from: Country of Red Azaleas (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Balkan Wars were an especially poignant time in my life. It was the first war that seemed relevant on my radar, as a new mom and wife. Before that, wars seemed like dry history book stories. But then came Sarajevo.

I'm a fairly sheltered person, with no experience of being in the region. But I've read many titles about the region and the War, some nonfiction and some novels. Zhata's Diary was painful, too painful for words. Anna Kim's Frozen Time delivered details my imagination could never have thought of in terms of behavior from human to human.

Earlier this month, to very little fanfare, The Hague convicted Radovan Karadžić of 10 of the 11 war crimes he was charged with. He got a 40 year sentence. That's it. Very few news outlets covered the trial that went on for five years. But I was incredibly interested because he was one of the three nasty war criminals (that is not redundant) that stirred up that pot of hatred. Julian Borger wrote The Butcher's Trail: The Secret History of the Balkan Manhunt for Europe's Most-Wanted War Criminals about the trial and this was released in January. An excellent, well-researched story of the period.

What does that have to do with this novel? I guess I'm trying to show how serious and desperate this time was and how deeply the people were affected. And this novel does nothing, in my opinion, to relate to that. Yes, there is discussion of horrific details. But this is more of a focus on female friendship that fell short to an almost superficial After School Special type of history lesson. Both female characters were shallow. Their actions both as friends and separately didn't feel like they were real people, which I think is sort of the point of writing a character.

To me, rather than the setting being necessary to the story, it felt more like a tacked-on complication intended to add a tragic element that the characters could traverse and seem meaningful.

The novel compares the women's friendship to that of Elena Ferrante's women. Not even close. Ferrante's women have depth and flaws and guilt and introspective turmoil and external identities. They were people, and when you read the books, you did feel they were real. I couldn't get enough of them. This was far from that emotion.

An excellent book about the history of Croatia was written by Tony Fabijancic in his book, Croatia: Travels in an Undiscovered Country. Fabijancic also wrote Bosnia: In the Footsteps of Gavrilo Princip. Both shed enlightenment on the loveliness of most of the people alternating with the horror of genocide committed by others.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2016 8:32 PM PDT

XM Lighting 800 Lumen Outdoor Waterproof Bright T6 Led Flashlight 5-Light Modes Handheld Flashlight (Cree Led, Black Color, Lithium Batteries)
Offered by xm lighting
Price: $40.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice basic, many options if you need them, May 1, 2016
I like flashlights eveywhere for safety's sake and also because I'ma big scaredy cat. I have many all over the house, the most expensive being a Mag light that is almost 2 feet long and could serve as a baseball bat (yes, I've considered it).

This is a short one, only about 5" but it does have good power. I don't need all the five lighting functions, and the strobe might be great to find someone on a hike but it's more like a migraine-finder for me. The smaller size is convenient as I keep at least one in every room (our power goes out, a lot!).

The light is bright and there's no fuzz around the edges of the light. It's crisp.

The body is sturdy and I was pleased with the simplest thing: the cord. Why? Because I can hang it on a hook behind the bathroom door (I did say EVERY room). All parts fit well and screw well without feeling like you are going to strip the threads as some cheapies do.

I'm pleased with this and hope the next time the power goes out, I remember where I put it!

I rec'd a sample for inspection and review. I will update if there are any issues with quality.

XM Lighting 120 Lumen Bright R3 Led Pen Flashlight Pocket Tactical Handheld Flashlight (Cree Led, Black Color, 3 Watt, 5.2 Inch)
Offered by xm lighting
Price: $20.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality mid-range pen light, May 1, 2016
I can never have enough flashlights. It seems essential to have them everywhere. This is now one of my favorites.

I have them in my glove box, purse, by my bed, and basically all over the house. This one is mid-priced between my cheapest and most expensive ones (a Mag Light). I find this on par with the Mag. The pen style makes a more focused light which is great for seeing but also working on details (such as finding the lipstick that fell under the seat).

It's very bright and the body is very sturdy. I accidentally dropped it on terrazzo tile and there was no damage to any part. Nice!

North of the Tension Line
North of the Tension Line
by J.F. Riordan
Price: $20.21
73 used & new from $6.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting away to find it all, May 1, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All I could think of this was how cold the Great Lakes are. Brrr. This takes place in Wisconsin, where a city woman decides to play country mouse all alone on an island at a far flung tip. Society is left behind, and she's left with just herself. I love this idea in many senses. I dream of getaways that don't involve entertaining other people and being able to reflect on life without constant interference.

She does get a share of unexpected visitors and situations, but for the most part, she and Marcus Aurelius meditate together on the concept of life, living it with dignity, and being a complete person. This fictionalized portrait of her blossoming as an individual instead of as part of the masses is interesting to read.

Another book like this is Burning Down George Orwell's House by Andrew Ervin, with almost the same premise but a male protagonist. A true-life version of this can be found in The Point of Vanishing by Howard Axelrod. Both of those demonstrate the benefits of escape as brain-saver. In fact, I've read a number of such novels lately (All the Winters After) and they don't get dull. I think we all have the dream and seeing it played out is a fantasy.

It's well written with spare language and no unnecessary elements thrown in to tame it or "feminize" it as some books do (they think a woman is in it so she must discuss eye shadow!).

A good read for a cold night under the covers. And that sea captain!

The Alaskan Laundry
The Alaskan Laundry
by Brendan Jones
Price: $11.41
50 used & new from $5.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Find a better protagonist, and maybe the story would come alive, May 1, 2016
This review is from: The Alaskan Laundry (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Tara is young. An 18 year old female boxer, she thinks she's pretty tough. The novel begins with her heading to Alaska to start a new life where her mother (now dead) once lived, and to find some sort of identity to fit her "tough girl" persona. Her arrival is interesting as she begins work at a hatchery. Long work and little sleep leave her no time for self-pity, yet she constantly manages to find time to remember the awful things her father said before she left. She obsesses about them.

Reading this as an adult gave me a different spin. I wanted to tell her to grow up about a million times. While her life sounds interesting, her relationships with others (her boss and coworkers and old boyfriend) all seem to suffer from her participation in them. She's really not a very nice person.

Now, the suspense that the author builds is that she became that way through the mysterious loss of her mother and her battle with her father. Yet it takes forever and ever to get to any knowledge of either event. It foreshadows the novel from the first pages, and just goes on and on with no big reveal until you really don't care anymore. I don't mean to sound jaded but she sounds spoiled and somewhat ignorant of the world. Was she that way before she lost her mother? And getting in to boxing? Encouraged by her Dad? Seems so farfetched at times. People lose loved ones as a matter of course, and we all deal with grief differently. Perhaps I should cut her some slack as she is just 18. But her self-focus is tiresome, and thus the book became tiresome too.

Usually it's a male character that suffers angst, we've seen that character a million times. Having a female suffer existential angst really is no better in that she's not been on the planet long enough to feel it. Her voyage to Alaska could have been of discovery but felt stiff by the time she started noticing her surroundings. I lost interest halfway through and barely finished.

That said, some of her coworkers would be far more fascinating to read about in novel form, even her awful boss. But she, quick of fighting words and cursing, has nothing to back it up.

Morecoo Art LED Desk Lamp with Flexible Neck USB Rechargeable Eye-care Lights(Yellow)
Offered by TOPLIFE
Price: $18.88

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very pleased with this light for a number of reasons, May 1, 2016
I'm very pleased with this light for a number of reasons. First, you can configure it virtually any way. The orange hood around the light prevents glare from the LED bulb. Glare is an issue with working on my laptop or reading a book at night, and this allows me to aim it nearby without saturating the screen or book with light to bounce back in my eyes.

I like that no electricity or batteries are used: you recharge via USB cable (provided). It has three settings too for just the right amount of light. Because of it's neck, it can be tall or short, as you prefer. Seems like a great idea and is well made with a solid build.

I rec'd a sample for inspection and review.
Comment Comment | Permalink