Profile for Meg Sumner > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 628

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Meg Sumner RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Cats Squeeze-On over, 1.5-Pound
Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Cats Squeeze-On over, 1.5-Pound
Offered by Ohio Liquidator
Price: $14.95
31 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Annoy your cats for a good cause, August 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I put this on my dogs a bit more than two weeks ago since our neighbor's dogs were covered with ticks (ours weren't). So I put it on my cats too, just in case. This contains three vials so all the kitties got a dose. They looked annoyed but didn't have any other reactions.

Since then, while I haven't seen any ticks around (sometimes you see them on a tip of a weed, just waiting to jump you), the neighbors have them bad. Same plants, same kind of yard, trees, etc. I have no idea why they have them so bad. So our dogs and kitties all got treated and so far, I've noticed nothing on them.

Also, one of my cats isn't the best groomer: Cookie doesn't really take care of her fur. So if any of them were to get a tick, it would be her because she'd probably leave it on herself.

I'll update if something changes, but so far so good!

Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Dogs Squeeze-On, 4-22-Pound
Sentry 3 Count Fiproguard Plus for Dogs Squeeze-On, 4-22-Pound
Offered by Enticing Pricing
Price: $13.49
27 used & new from $13.40

5.0 out of 5 stars No ticks despite hanging out with other dogs with ticks, August 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Summer is officially here and we just started seeing ticks a few weeks ago. Some years are really bad (we live out in the country) and others have none. Even weirder is the years we have ticks we don't seem to have fleas on the pets, and the years that have lots of fleas, there's no ticks. Some sort of territory agreement between pests?

In any case, I got this out and put it on our Rat Terrier (Riley...he's a frequent reviewer) and it goes between the shoulder blades. I was concerned a bit in that it goes on and leaves a greasy looking spot on the application site, so I told my little boy not to hug on him for a few days. But the very next day, the greasy look was gone, and Riley couldn't have cleaned it off himself (much less find a willing cat to do it for him). So it must have absorbed that quickly.

Two weeks into it on him, and no ticks. Nothing. I didn't figure it was that big of a deal until I saw our neighbor's two dogs: both were covered with ticks, especially around the neck and ears. Our dogs hang out with these dogs, yet our dogs had no ticks. So I think it's a winner. I'll post if that changes!

Febreze Fabric Refresher Allergen Reducer Clean Splash Air Freshener
Febreze Fabric Refresher Allergen Reducer Clean Splash Air Freshener
Price: $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, August 2, 2015
we use this all the time: doggy odor on carpets. I vacuum daily but there's just something about two shorthair dogs and ten year old carpet. We get alot of fog too (moisture) and dust (rural). This adds a freshness that I use before company comes over, and also right after I vacuum. I also use it on drapes and curtains.

Watchmen
Watchmen
by Alan Moore
Price: $11.99
101 used & new from $11.19

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate to disappoint the fans, August 2, 2015
This review is from: Watchmen (Paperback)
I hate to disappoint the fans, as I know there are many, but this was a tough read for me. I'm not used to graphic novels and had to read this for a Modern Fiction class. Something about the tiny font and saturated colors just hurt my eyes and distracted me.

However, this is a beautiful edition, made especially nice by the sketches in the back with preliminary ideas for characters, doodles, notes, etc.It is a gorgeous book. The story itself is meaningful.

Just hard on old lady eyes!

Fancydeli® Women Heart Pendant Necklace with Swarovski Elements Crystal Fashion Jewelry for Women Ladies Girls Girlfriend Violett
Offered by Fancydeli Fashion Jewelry
Price: $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty shade of purple, August 2, 2015
Very pretty necklace! The purple is a lovely shade, darker than lavender and really looks pretty against skin. It seems well made and the chain isn't one of those tiny little delicate things...it is sturdy. There is a lot of sparkle to this so it looks more expensive than it is.

I like too that the heart stone is securely placed: I've bought some that pop out after a few wearings (Which happened with two Cookie Lee necklaces).

The main portion of the pendant is about 1 1/8" from top of the heart to bottom. Same width. Elegantly boxed.

A Song for Issy Bradley: A Novel
A Song for Issy Bradley: A Novel
by Carys Bray
Price: $14.92
74 used & new from $0.86

4.0 out of 5 stars A Faith that Fails a Child May Fell the Whole Family, August 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The author, Carys Bray, makes careful steps as she writes about a Mormon family's struggle with death and the attitudes of those outside their world. Prior to their daughter's illness, the family was held in high regard for sticking strongly to Mormon beliefs and were used extensively in their region for helping others and leading their spiritual and physical family. The wife, Claire, has moments of reflection, when she recalls her pre-Mormon life, but hesitates to let those thoughts abound as she knows they will undermine her faith. Her husband Ian, a church Bishop, is similarly complicated: raised in the church he wishes with all his might for the promises and miracles to be true. He goes all in for every activity, being the perfect leader, even if it means leaving his family at times to comfort others.

One Church activity for the young has the young women performing the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" in order to physically demonstrate that when they acted out the song none of their midriff, thighs, or other inappropriate parts were showing. It seems demeaning.

Four children are raised in this environment, one that struggles to keep balance with Mormon faith and "worldly" influences. Since I'm not well-aware of their doctrines, some of the limits on childhood behavior shocked me. I'm all for modesty for women and girls, but it seems women and girls main role is to not tempt young men and prepare to be mothers. Not much is said for boys to behave; the onus is on women to work at home, support all Church endeavors, raise their children, and smile about it.

When their four year old daughter suddenly becomes ill, the family's division is subtle but real. Claire wants to imagine her daughter in heaven with her mother, while her husband vehemently assures her that she won't be: Claire's mother was not a believer. The harshest of "truths" are proudly displayed, even if it's beyond the point of reason and would give comfort. Thus they are encouraged not to grieve. To move on is the only way.

The father Ian becomes someone I felt deep dislike for, he seems almost like a puppy desperate to be petted and praised for his godliness. Never mind how much his family suffers due to his need for affirmation and appreciation.

Claire is most intriguing. As are the children, as they muddle through a world where hot chocolate is okay but coffee isn't; where the Tabernacle choir plays on the home stereo almost all the time.

The sadness I felt was made more painful by the lack of Claire to grieve. To hide her inner feelings so that the Church is regarded highly rather than be selfish and draw attention to her own grief.

Despite all this, I think the Mormon religion is discussed respectfully in the book. Bray writes without much flourish, it is a tale told simply and directly and the pace is fast. A few moments confused me when Claire or the kids were responding: were they being sarcastic or serious?

Avery Pearlized Address Labels , 1 x 2-5/8 Inches, Pack of 24 Labels (41560)
Avery Pearlized Address Labels , 1 x 2-5/8 Inches, Pack of 24 Labels (41560)
Price: $11.80

3.0 out of 5 stars Barnacles, ye maties!, August 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These have a lovely and expensive look to them, definitely an eye catcher for the labels on my jewelry boxes that I put my jewelry in to sell. It also helps me see what's in the box without opening.

Two things, however: consider yourself gifted if you can figure out how to print these on your printer. Mine is now a low-end Epson and it's given me fits on this, even using the Avery template. I've wasted a few (even after doing a practice sheet) as the printing is not instinctive Practice, practice, practice before you print the actual label.

Second, these are not easily removable. Put it on by mistake and ten seconds later you've ruined an item because they adhere strong and fast. My old Avery round labels (that I used similarly) were such that I could remove them and recenter or adjust the location, no problem. These are not that. These are barnacle labels. Still the quality is nice, but I'm not sure why they couldn't simplify the whole process by making these full-sheet size.

MURIATIC ACID MA001 GALLON
MURIATIC ACID MA001 GALLON
Offered by WIN BIGGER
Price: $26.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked on rust in toilet, July 31, 2015
This review is from: MURIATIC ACID MA001 GALLON
This worked on rust in my toilet as well as shower scum.

Although it was wrapped in bubble wrap, however, the lid was broken and there was no inner seal. It could have been disasterous had I not opened it carefully. This is a toxic chemical. Not cool.

Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Price: $12.28

4.0 out of 5 stars New style of scrubbing without particles, July 30, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I admit, I don't think much about sponges. Yet trying this one out actually surprised me. I've used whatever brand is on sale for my lifetime: this is the first time I noticed a difference.

Here's how: if you scrub a pan, say one with eggs or dried up lasagne, the scrubbie sponge usually picks up pieces of the food. You can rinse it out, but little pieces stay in it. You can wash it in the machine (ick) or toss it. Because either way, those foods are going to cross-contaminate whatever else you clean with it.

This doesn't have that kind of porous surface. Foods don't stick to it. At all. I washed a pan that had cupcakes baked in it, and it scrubbed off the overflow batter but didn't leave anything on the scrubbie. I still think a person has to use care with contamination, but I think this makes sense for every few days, and will unlikely stink up as fast as other scrubbers. I think for washing it I will likely just soak in dishsoap and a dash of bleach and let air dry in the window.

Fog Island Mountains
Fog Island Mountains
by Michelle Bailat-Jones
Price: $12.99
18 used & new from $4.42

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts with a twist and a complicated premise: really enjoyed the surprises, July 30, 2015
This review is from: Fog Island Mountains (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a difficult story to review because right off the bat are some startling events that would be considered spoilers if I went into them. I was shocked and I don't want to ruin that for a reader because the premise begins so naturally and makes such a dramatic twist that it was a pleasure to be surprised. I read a great deal and this has an unusual perspective. And one that is thoroughly believable.

What I can say is that a typhoon is about to hit this Japanese island, everyone is edgy and on alert, and an American expat has just rec'd devastating health news. He's married to a Japanese woman and had what was considered a perfect life.

As you continue past the initial "twist", you get to know two very complicated characters that you like despite what they do. You have to put yourself in their position: do you judge or wait and see? It touches on some issues about marriage, health, children, and most of all, what we carry through our lives as expectations.

Expectations are dangerous. The events of the storm coupled with the stormy situation are painful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20