Profile for Amy Henry > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 503

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy Henry RSS Feed (United States)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hoover UH70935 Windtunnel 3-Pro Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum
Hoover UH70935 Windtunnel 3-Pro Pet Bagless Upright Vacuum
Price: $129.99
6 used & new from $119.95

4.0 out of 5 stars My carpet is disgusting. Was disgusting., September 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Halle and Riley, intrepid dog-treat reviewers, got put to work the last few days trying out this new vacuum. They didn't actually use it (wouldn't that be cool?) but they followed my instructions to start shedding at will. Thing was, I was sort of laughing to myself that I really didn't NEED a pet-specific vacuum as my dogs are short-haired breeds (Doberman and Rat Terrier). I mean, I don't even have to brush them, their fur is so short. So since I had vacuumed on Saturday with my old vacuum, I figured this wouldn't be much of a review experience.

I was wrong. I'm not sure if they took my instructions too literally, because it actually looked, in the bagless barrel, as if I had vacuumed up Riley. It was FULL of hair, like 2/3. Dark colored like them (so I couldn't say it was my hair). Disgusting and gross dog hair. So I went to dump it (very easy to do and you don't get your hands dirty) and I did get a whiff of that nasty stuff. Hard to believe that was on my floor. Where we sit sometimes. Where babies are known to play. Ick. Even the dogs were grossed out.

So, feeling so much better, I ran over it again with the empty barrel. What the heck was filling it? More dog hair. I had to double check that the dogs still had fur. I'm completely disgusted with carpet now. Mine is a sort of higher shag that was in style in 2002. Now I want to take a boxcutter and cut it all up. I mean, if this is the hair it picks up, what about the germs too? I'm glad the vacuum works so well, but completely revolted that we live with this. I thought I was a good (excellent!) housekeeper. Apparently not.

The thing is, the dogs are only in at night and I don't know if some of the fur is tracked in, but the first few uses of this will really sober you up about household pets.

My old vacuum was similar but not pet-specific. I like this better because the attachments are more secure. The on/off switch of the brushes is nice, which let me do my tile kitchen (where there was NO dog hair!?!?!?!). Eventually I'd like to go all tile or wood and just use this for that and get rid of carpet forever.

One note, the rewinding cord is cool but something about it feels like it will be the first thing to break (I will update review if so). Also, it tips very easily. Annoyingly easy, which is why I took off a star. I think it's part of the way the design rotates (sort of like that Dyson ball thing but without the Dyson ball): it makes the upright portion easy to move around but at the same time somewhat wobbly when you want to store it (or bend over).

Other reviewers noted it's weight; to me, I didn't even notice. Maybe I'm used to it, or Halle and Riley have worked out my arms on walks, but the weight of the vacuum was no issue to me.

3M Peltor Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector
3M Peltor Tactical 100 Electronic Hearing Protector
Offered by Gear Meister
Price: $92.92
6 used & new from $74.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the instructions!, September 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Not what I expected! I saw hearing protector and assumed this would muffle noise like those noise-cancelling headphones. I was eager to use these for homework in our small house where I can't get two minutes of quiet. But no, these are actually to increase low level noises and muffle only gunshots and their echoes.

My bad.

THey do look well made and have an audio jack so they could be used for music, and they fold small. Just geared more towards a shooting range shooter or hunter.

The Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance, and Happiness
by James Altucher
Price: $9.45
50 used & new from $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Gratitude is an attitude, not the solution to all life's ills, September 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are several types of self-help books: some filled with data that's hard to put into personal application. Others balance scientific data, expert opinions, and personal usefulness. This is neither of those. This is the "This worked for me so I'm going to write a book about it". No data to back up assertions, no studies to refer to, just a married couple with lots of ideas and cute anecdotes that appear harmless. I have no doubt of the sincerity of their work: they truly believe this is it. But to read it from another perspective, one sees that it may not be as valuable as they think.

First off, early on the husband (and father) talks about a sleepless night wherein he and his daughter both were up. He encouraged her to count her blessings, then as she did, he did so as well. Then he said he was thinking about committing suicide that night, and the gratitude stopped him. Gratitude? How nice for him. What a complete oversimplification of depression and suicide. Sure, maybe he was thinking he wanted to die in a philosophical sense (and he does explain spiritual death and emotional death in the book). But to suggest that gratitude was the answer is to diminish so much. Then on the following page, he suggests if you are feeling suicidal to call a friend and ask them for help, and that perhaps that friend can suggest gratitude.

Big problem with this, on so many levels. Is that friend going to take them seriously? What if that friend brushes off their impulse for suicide? Few people take it seriously when they hear it discussed by a loved one. And to suggest gratitude? Many people that commit suicide do have gratitude, but if their brain is chemically altered or they are having a medication issue, gratitude is not the answer. Gratitude is an attitude, not a solution. Serious intervention must take place in these cases, not be blown off with some simplistic suggestion. A friend who is turned to in distress needs to seek medical intervention, call 911, or a hotline. It worries me that so much seriousness is given to a suggestion so trivial. Even experts in the field do not know exactly what makes one person take such a drastic final step, so it can only be addressed with complete seriousness.

One person I know who committed suicide after several attempts was the most grateful person I've known. So grateful for his life's abundance (children and family) that he felt they were better off without him. And focusing on gratitude (something one psychoanalyst suggested) actually increased his guilt because he had it all and still didn't feel the gratitude making a difference. Again,the book is too simplistic. Dangerously so.

I had many similar reactions to the advice given in other places. The authors are quite open with their personal issues, but just because they've gone through them doesn't mean they've achieved it all. Life is too random and changing as well as world events. People need more than pithy affirmations. And after awhile, it becomes tiresome to hear all about them.

For example, Claudia (the wife) relates her personal problems with love addiction and group therapy to cure such. She admitted to being the type to plan a wedding on a first date, and is open with her sense of neediness. It was as if she was not complete if she was not married or at least in a serious relationship. She relates the help of group therapy (a good thing), but then relates that a month or two later she was asking friends where to meet men. This is when she met her husband, her co-author. But the fact that one month into their relationship she was staging a formal ceremony to celebrate their commitment to each other seems like a huge sign she isn't over her love addiction problems. I think most men would run for their lives if four weeks in (how many dates could that even be?) a woman is planning a candlelit ceremony. Is she really qualified to give advice given that yes, they are together five years now, but that it started immediately after her therapy? It kept occurring to me that rather than try and meet men, she should have focused on being happy with herself and her own life, to celebrate herself and her own unique personality, rather than searching for a mate. For a reader, what is her message? Go out and find a man, it seems, and maybe it will work out. It did for her, thus, the credibility to write a book. Yikes.

The thing is, the Power of No is a well-known concept already. Oprah, Dr. Phil and all those daytime shows have covered it dozens of times. Most people know that that their lives are drained with too many commitments and toxic people. So I thought yet another book on this would offer new insight. But no, it's the same concepts worded in the virtually the same way as any woman's magazine would. In fact, on Amazon I found eight other books specifically instructing the same thing, and that's just on the first two search pages.

Alpine Swiss Women's Black Magnolia Moccasin Loafers 11 M US
Alpine Swiss Women's Black Magnolia Moccasin Loafers 11 M US
Offered by Alpine Swiss Store
Price: $14.99
2 used & new from $14.99

1.0 out of 5 stars ugly, truly lacking any style or charm, hideous, September 20, 2014
These were on sale. Free would have been too much. Poorly sewn. Cheap leather if real at all. Did I mention ugly?

Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, 1 Cubic Foot
Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, 1 Cubic Foot
Price: $7.49
4 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold Standard for easy planting and happy seedlings!, September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, for Vine items we have a 30 day limit to submit a review, so I can't say my newly planted violas are gigantic, at least not yet. (I will update when they do!)

But I enjoyed planting with this potting soil. My husband likes to use loose dirt from around the yard that includes leaves and other organic matter, he says that's better for new plants. To me, it seems like what we have when we do that is more "clay-ey" plants and it seems like the roots are fighting the clay to grow (we have adobe soil amended by years of oak leaves and plant matter).

When I planted with this, it feels loose and smooth. More substantial than sand and the seedlings sit well in their little beds. When I watered, the water was absorbed and not just pouring off into the container. I believe that perlite is the name of the conditioner (don't quote me) that is added to keep moisture up. It does. Comparing his seedlings to mine, mine are moister and less clumpy looking. As to the growing period and whose flowers are bigger, time will tell. And I will tell you too!

Note, I've used this Potting Soil before as well as other MG products and have been pleased with them all, but I do think a generic brand potting soil is quite similar but with possibly less perlite (at least by looks).

Just for kicks, try searching for Miracle Gro potting soil or similar on Pinterest. Many people have some clever planting ideas. One woman actually only cuts a rectangle out of the top side of the front of the package, laying flat, and plants directly in the bag (lettuce). Other good ideas can be found on Google too, but I found the most on Pinterest.

Visine Redness Reliever Eye Drops, Advanced Relief, 0.5 oz (15 ml)
Visine Redness Reliever Eye Drops, Advanced Relief, 0.5 oz (15 ml)
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $5.18
22 used & new from $0.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Clears the red so I look more awake...., September 19, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Really liking these eye drops, and for several reasons. One is that I take a medication that makes me have less tears, so my eyes used to always feel scratchy. Also, I swim regularly in chlorine pools. Lastly, I use CPAP that sometimes goes wonky during the night and blows air up into my eyes.

So dry and red is the usual state of my eyes. And this makes me look more tired than I am. I hate when someone says "Oh you look so tired!" just when I thought I looked okay.

I started using these and immediately felt a cooling sensation. It lasted through several blinks and on into the morning. I reapplied mid-afternoon and then the next morning. Each time my eyes felt better and no sting. Plus, having the whites of my eyes look whiter makes me more alert looking.

I didn't go five stars for possibly a stupid reason: the red on the box. for a cooling drop, they should be blue drops or something to suggest cool. But the red looks like flames and several times I had to make sure I was using the right bottle. I'm hoping that as I use them I will not need to reapply mid day so they last longer. As it is, I bought a separate one now for my purse, just in case.

NOCO XGrid XGS4USB 4W Portable Solar Panel and USB Kit
NOCO XGrid XGS4USB 4W Portable Solar Panel and USB Kit
Price: $99.95
11 used & new from $99.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Zombie Invasion kit, item 1, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you aren't familiar with the NOCO Xgrid system, you might soon. It seems to be the wave of the future for electronic devices because it takes their users away from constantly searching for an outlet to plug into. There are various components (flashlights!) that all are interchangeable and connectable to ultimately make one Xgrid that would probably power anything through any situation.

This comes with the solar panels that fold and both get and hold power until night, when devices can still be charged. It comes with a long USB charger as well, in case you aren't right up next to the panels during the day. It also is capable of charging multiple recharges; USB Battery Pack charges up to 2X smartphones, 2X wireless speakers, 3X HD action cameras, 3X GPS, 6X MP3 audio players and more.

The cool thing, for a hiker, for example, is they can place this on their backpack and have it generate power while they hike. It's mobile. And it has a mesh zippered portion for all the accessories. My son is coveting this badly, he's had his eye on it since it arrived as he hikes and camps often. But I'm thinking it will be great in my car in case of emergency to have if my battery charger isn't working.

Also, here in CA we're all into our "Emergency Prep kits" for earthquakes, and this would be useful too if the power was out. I'm debating getting another for my son as a gift or one for the prep kit.

Really good item an I'm likely to add the flashlight component unless they have a flashlight that works off of USB (Doubt it).

BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
BISSELL Prevent Boost Carpet Cleaning Formula Enhancer
Price: $11.43

4.0 out of 5 stars I have the worst traffic area in the world, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have the worst traffic area in the world. A straight line from the front door to the kitchen and back. And we live in the sticks, so there's lots of dirt. This is the area I use my Bissell carpet cleaner on the most. Sometimes I skip the whole house and just do this strip. Because it's nasty. Telling kids to take off their shoes has never worked (and the worst culprit is my husband).

Additionally, I have this weird corner area that has an unspecific odor. Not cat urine, nothing sour, just enough to drive me nuts when I work nearby. I actually pulled up the carpet to see what was underneath. No apparent stain to the concrete or padding, so it's something in the carpet. I did the whole vinegar, baking soda thing, even bleaching the concrete. Notta. My final step was simply spraying Febreze on it when company was coming or I was nearby.

So getting this was a treat. First, it's not specific to old stains, being designed as a preventative. But is that going to stop me from at least trying? Nope. So I spent a morning doing the traffic area and the nasty corner with this. You add it into the water and cleaning solution you've already put in your machine. I made sure the machine warmed up the water a great deal. Then I went at it. This is how exciting people spend their Saturdays.

On the traffic area, it did clean, quite well, as expected. However, the test will be in if it prevents future stains. I will update this review if I notice that I don't have to clean the traffic pattern so often.

As far as my dreaded corner, given that the carpet was loose and I could lift it up, I did feel like I could really work the machines handle into the area. It dried well and so far no odor. Not sure if it's the boxes of baking soda already rubbed into the carpet or if it's just the repeat cleaning or this product. But if it works, I will tell you! Vine products require a quick review so I have to tell you now and update you as it works. I will.

The bottle size is such that I probably would use an entire bottle if I was doing my entire house, which the carpeted area is about 1300 sf.

The moral of the story? Hardwood floors, baby, hardwood. Carpet is so nasty I'm tempted to rip it all up and just walk on concrete.

FitFlop Womens's Walkstar 3 Flip Flop,Nude,11 M US
FitFlop Womens's Walkstar 3 Flip Flop,Nude,11 M US
Price: $56.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch the colors, they are NOT what you think, September 10, 2014
I love Fit Flops, but the color "NUDE" is complete ick. It's not tan as expected but a baby pink, shell pink, icky pink. Not quite pepto-pink but a certain shade that looks institutional and gross. The Red is not what I expected either, looks cheap and quite like a Croc. My other pairs are just such better colors that these two really disappointed me. The "nude" is going back, the red I still have to think about.

Icky icky icky.

Epson DURABrite T127120 Ultra 127 Extra High-capacity Inkjet Cartridge-Black
Epson DURABrite T127120 Ultra 127 Extra High-capacity Inkjet Cartridge-Black
Price: Click here to see our price
139 used & new from $22.50

3.0 out of 5 stars The most exciting thing to do all day, put in a new cartridge! Woo hoo!, September 9, 2014
Does what it should......not much more you can say besides that. I thought the price was reasonable and it was easy to replace on my pain-in-the-behind Epson wide-format printer. Truly, I despise the printer now that I've had it awhile. I loved it at first, but grrrr. I wish everything on it were as easy as putting this in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20