Profile for Knyte > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 191

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Knyte "To The Stars" RSS Feed (New York, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Miss Thang
Miss Thang
Offered by DVD-PC-GAMES
Price: $14.99
163 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTERPIECE IN MODERN R&B: STRONG FROM START TO FINISH, July 31, 2002
This review is from: Miss Thang (Audio CD)
14 year-old Monica Arnold emerged onto the urban music scene hot on the heels of her future arch-nemesis, Brandy Norwood. While Brandy's mystique was sweet, fun and innocent, Monica's voice, style and image projected a maturity that magically transcended her tender young age. Urban headz simply couldn't ignore this young lady when "Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days)" was released -- it masterfully wrapped LL Cool J's [then recent] "Backseat (Of My Jeep)" beat around strikingly mature subject matter for a 14-year old: PMS. Producer Dallas Austin was definitely experiencing a surge of creativity during this time period -- he had just completed duties on TLC's mega-watt 'CrazySexyCool' a year earlier. Now let's get to this album:
'Miss Thang' opens up confidently with the sassy title track, sonically reminiscent of LA-based rapper (then current) hit W.C.'s "West Up". Next up is "Don't Take It Personal" which continues to skillfully communicate the gritty brilliance of mid-90's urban music. "Like This And Like That" is a decent hip-hop infused cut (featuring a cool rap by Mr. Malik) along with the mid-90's grit of "Get Down", a solid album track. "With You" is a 'too-sensual-for-a-14-year-old' R&B track that should have been a single anyhow...it's an early highlight of the album that has never (!) been skipped in the eight years I've owned this album. We continue with "Skate", a fun jam that bounces along like kids at a roller rink; it cleverly samples "Cutie Pie" by One Way.
"Angel" is an uptempo track that also could have been a single, it reminds me of Brandy's "Baby" except this has more of an ATL (thanks to background vocals by Debra Killings) vibe to it. "Woman In Me" is a plush interlude that perfectly segues into "Tell Me If You Still Care", a stunningly on-target cover of Jam & Lewis's song performed by the S.O.S. Band. Pre-'My Way' Usher Raymond joins Monica for "Let's Straighten It Out", a bluesy duet featuring live instruments and some of the most impressive vocals either vocalist has ever laid down (for Usher, think Donny Hathaway).
"Before You Walk Out My Life" was Monica's vibrant second single, and is (to this day) a great sounding midtempo not to be missed. "Now I'm Gone" is a bittersweet ballad with a misty (yet warm) vibe to it. But it's "Why I Love You So Much" that had me floored the first time I heard it. Produced by ex-LaFace collaborator Daryl Simmons, the old Babyface sound (think 'Tender Lover-era') gets resurrected one last time for this wonderfully sincere ballad (and radio single). "Why I Love You So Much" is never *ever* skipped by this reviewer. Ever. The sheer beauty continues with "Never Can Say Goodbye" (not the Jackson 5 song), a pretty ballad that softly glides the listener back to earth after soaring among the clouds during "Why I Love You So Much"...
The "Don't Take It Personal (remix)" samples Jermaine Jackson's "Don't Take It Personal", creating an interesting mix. We end the album with "Forever Always" -- a jam featuring an acoustic guitar, delicate percussion, and trademark ATL background vocals by Debra Killings (her voice is most recognizeable on TLC songs like "Creep" and "Hat 2 Da Back"); leaving the listener ultimately satisfied. This is easily Monica's strongest album to date, and at 70 minutes long, is soooo worth your hard-earned benjamins, scrilla, fetti, pesos, greenbacks, paper...you get the picture. 'Miss Thang' is an album that Monica, Dallas Austin, Rowdy Records, Arista Records, and Clive Davis ought to be very proud of. The best (and most solid) Pop/Modern R&B album by a female recording artist in the year of 1995. Grade: A+
Best Regards,
Andrew Knyte
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2011 10:15 AM PST

A Little Less Conversation
A Little Less Conversation
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars ~ SOUNDS VERY FRESH...EXTREMELY CATCHY ~, July 17, 2002
This is a very "fun" record, that bops in a carefree, energetic vibe that is similar to Lou Bega's 1999 hit "Mambo No.5 (A little bit of...)", which also successfully mixed the sounds of the past and the present/future together. I first heard this Elvis single in my car one Saturday afternoon (while crossing the beautiful Golden Gate Bridge) on San Francisco's 93.3 KKWV "The Wave" (which plays a great mix of rhythmic adult contempory music, btw) and I was impressed. I am by no means an Elvis fan (at all), but I respect the fact that he was really good at what he did: deliver rock'n'roll music from it's roots (i.e. Little Richard, Chuck Berry, etc), to "mainstream/suburban" America with style, presence, charisma, and a pelvis that refused to quit. I think this song could very well make Elvis Presley much cooler in the eyes of the "suburban" members of Generations X and Y, and enable a large portion of Baby Boomers to feel a bit young again whenever they listen to it. This is the quintessential novelty single, and it gets the job done quite well.

No More Games / The Remix Album
No More Games / The Remix Album
27 used & new from $0.33

4.0 out of 5 stars ~ An Honest Attempt At Musical Growth by the NKOTB ~, July 10, 2002
By early 1991, the ever shifting status of musical trends had begun to take its toll on the enormous popularity of the New Kids On The Block. Only two years before, the five boys from Boston were taking the U.S. (and the world) by storm with singles like "Please Don't Go Girl", and "The Right Stuff". The year was 1989, and by that summer, "I'll Be Loving You (Forever)" would be the group's first #1 hit, and would propel songs like "Cover Girl", "Didn't I Blow Your Mind (This Time", and "This One's For The Children" to the top of the charts.
Then in June of 1990, the album 'Step By Step' would spawn the group's biggest single, which happened to share the same name of the album. After reaching this apex however, the NKOTB backlash was in "full effect" (to use a popular expression of the era). After the Beatle-esque (and sonically impressive) "Tonight", hit singles weren't really happening like they used to for the NKOTB. Dance pop music was rapidly going out of style, and droves of young music fans were now gravitating towards "harder" edged music like gangsta rap and alternative rock.
Sensing this, Donnie Wahlberg led the group in coordinating this remix album, which fused the "harder" elements of hip-hop and urban dance into the New Kids' sound, resulting in an album I found impressive then, and still find consistent more than 10 years later. The best tracks on 'No More Games' were remixed by none other than Robert Clivilles and the late David Cole -- better known as the C&C Music Factory. Now let's get to the music:
The album opens up with "Games", a track co-written by Donnie Wahlberg. Employing relatively convincing hip-hop samples, the jazziest riffs ever sung by Jordan Knight (until 1994's 'Face The Music'), and a curse word by Mr. Wahlberg himself, "Games" was a dramatic departure from the previously clean cut NKOTB look and sound (Jordan even grew facial hair for the video!). Then at the 1991 American Music Awards, Public Enemy member Flava Flav even joined the NKOTB onstage during their performance of "Games". After seeing that, it became crystal clear to this reviewer (who was 13 at the time) that the NKOTB were working hard to stay relevant.
"Call It What You Want" is a well done Shep Pettibone-ish (think "Vogue" or "Express Yourself" by Madonna) house track produced by C&C again, and features an intro rap from Freedom Williams, the buff dude on "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now!)". I consider "Call It What You Want" to be the New Kids' last hurrah in terms of singles from their initial run, and this is probably the best fast song on the album. To me, "Call It What You Want" is a flawless rendition of radio-friendly, melodic 90's house music.
The album continues with a plush remix of "Please Don't Go Girl", with a smoldering saxophone accompianment. The "Cover Girl" remix samples audio bits from a Sports Illustrated documentary that works well in my view. But it's "Baby I Believe In You" that wins as my pick for what should have been a third single from this album. This is essentially a solo song by lead singer Jordan Knight, and I am quite sure it must be a fan favorite to this day...
The "Hangin' Tough" remix is pretty bad actually, and whenever I listen to this CD during a spell of New Jack Era nostalgia, I skip this one without fail. However, the album picks up again with a C&C remix of "Step By Step" which is also another well done early 90's house reinterpretation. "My Favorite Girl" seemed to be the 'concert' song for this group, and some live elements are brought into this latin-ish remix (think Stevie B on this one).
"Valentine Girl"...as juvenile as the title may sound, the vibe of the song is actually distinguished, featuring (admittedly awkward) baritone lead vocals by Danny Wood, sprinkled with Jordan Knight's signature falsetto. The "Right Stuff" remix is a very happy sounding reinterpretation that never fails to put me in a good mood. The remix for "Watcha Gonna Do About It" has an international feel (think Soul II Soul, with less "soul" though); this is also one of the more impressive remixes on the album, and sounds the most polished.
Using the same sample as Eric B & Rakim did for "I Ain't No Joke", the "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" remix is a C&C creation that closes this album well. Featuring a nice vocal motif by Joe McIntyre, a rap section by Donnie Wahlberg, and lead vocals by a jilted Danny Wood, "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" communicates an intensity from the group that hadn't been heard up until this album. Perhaps that intensity came from a burning need on the part of the guys (especially Donnie Wahlberg) to prove themselves as worthy of both critical and commercial popularity...and not just legions of screeming girls.
But in the end, this album may have been too little, too late. By the fall of 1991, the group would release a ballad entitled "If You Go Away", and then fade into obscurity until they remerged with 1994's 'Fsce The Music', their last album to date. While the NKOTB will probably be most remembered for the "Step By Step" album, it is my belief that their best albums were actually this one, and their 1988 release...the one that started it all, 'Hangin Tough'.

Instant Vintage
Instant Vintage
Offered by cdgiveaways
Price: $7.17
77 used & new from $2.44

5.0 out of 5 stars GRADE: A-, July 9, 2002
This review is from: Instant Vintage (Audio CD)
Very few male R&B/Soul singers have a resume as brilliantly decorated as Raphael Saadiq. As part of the band that Prince tried unsuccessfully to recruit back in the mid/late 80s (Tony Toni Tone), Saadiq gave us classics such as "Feels Good", "It Never Rains (In Southern California)", "Just Me And You" and "Anniversary" -- just to name a few by that group. Unforgetable 90s jams such as "Kissing You" by Total and "Lady" by D'Angelo were also sonic products of Raphael's musical genius. Let us not forget solo Saadiq singles such as "Get Involved" and "Ask Of You", as well as his work in the group Lucy Pearl (the hits "You", and "Dance Tonight"). Basically, with an illustrious career spanning over 15 years, it has certainly been about time for Raphael to put out a solo disc. And, I am very happy to report that 'Instant Vintage' delivers. I'll only highlight my three favorite tracks to keep this review short though...
If [track 9] "Different Times" (feat. T-Boz of TLC), is a hint of what's to come from TLC's upcoming (and painfully bittersweet) fourth disc, then TLC's album is going to be incredibly wonderful. The message of "Different Times" is empowering, and alludes to a higher source of spiritual strength with the lyrics "My friend won't let you down/He's always been around". A powerfully stoic duet between T-Boz and Raphael Saadiq, "Different Times" and is hands down, my favorite song on the album.
"Uptown" [track 17] reminds me of the quaint retro-soul that can be found on Tony Toni Tone's final album, 1996's 'Sons Of Soul'. Lyrically, it is about Raphael's desire to leave Oakland (and all the problems of his past life) behind. "Uptown" communicates a tired and weary vibe that only a real-life experience can produce. More than any other song on this album, I hear old Tony Toni Tone in this one.
"Still Ray" [track 4] is already receiving heavy rotation on San Francisco radio station 106.1 KMEL, and was my personal pick for 2nd single over "Faithful". Incorporating the peculiar piano motif from Dr. Dre's comback single "Still Dre" (hence the name), "Still Ray" is very simple and stripped down in sound, creating a hypnotic effect -- particulary when the plodding tuba(!) kicks in. (I just experienced a sensation of deja vu while typing this review...)
'Instant Vintage' isn't an album full of radio-friendly hits; rather, it's like a long awaited case of fine wine to be sampled, savored, and celebrated. There are other sonic gems on here that I should mention such as "Charlie Ray" (cute), "Oph" (gets the message across), "Be Here" (need I say more?) "Faithful" (growing on me), and "Body Parts"...but I think you get the point. While I am more partial to radio hit material (hence my picks of "Still Ray" and "Different Times"), I'm still very happy with this album. If you love soul/R&B, I'm sure you will too...

Juslisen
Juslisen
Price: $7.39
112 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars GRADE: B+, June 26, 2002
This review is from: Juslisen (Audio CD)
Musiq has definitely stepped up his vocal game since 'Aijuswanaseing'. In my humble view, Musiq seems to have that "little engine that could" quality that makes him instantly likeable. When I got a chance to hear Musiq perform live (opening for Erykah Badu), you could literally see and hear the effort he was putting into his (still developing) stage presence and vocal ability, and now we're finally geting a chance to hear even more of his musical growth (and experimentation) on Juslisen. Now I'll attempt to elaborate:
After a warm, neo-soul style introduction, we're off into "Newness", a song that is similar in vibe to the material found on 'Aijuswanaseing', except it sounds less organic, and even more polished. "Newness" (to me) is a pure and honest head-nodder that a lot of us can probably relate to in everyday life. "Everything is cool", Musiq sings, "when love is all brand new, you're learning me, and I'm learning you..."
Next up is "Caught Up", an early favorite of mine, and the first of the two funk-jazzified, cane-swinging tracks on 'Juslisen'. "Stoplayin" has a very similar beat to Michael Jackson's "Butterflies", and is one of the stronger cuts on the album. But it's "Religious" (funk-jazzified, cane-swinging track #2) that is my favorite uptempo song on the album. I LOVE this song; it employs the very same sample that Heavy D mined in 1988 for "Gyrlz They Love Me" (anyone remember that one?). Employing a church organ and similarly themed lyrics, "Religious" marks a new (and confident) approach for Musiq, and I think he pulls it off beautifully -- a definite single in my opinion.
"Babygirl" is a simply decent (and relaxing) midtempo that I could learn to love. "Halfcrazy" is the album's first single, and what I like about this song is the unresolved tension I feel the lyrics (and musical accompaniment) communicate. "Time" is a 6/8 time ballad with a melodic feel that vaguely reminds me of the late, great (and ahem, real Princess of R&B) Aaliyah's "I Care 4 U". Next up is "Future", a track that is another just okay/filler track (in my opinion) that I'm sure someone else out there actually likes...
After a moderately funky intermission, the 'Juslisen' experience picks up again with "Realove", one of Musiq's best songs yet (to me). Thematically, it deals with a woman who has turned bitter after a negative experience with love, and while the subject matter isn't exactly revolutionary, it's a very real phenomenon for much of Musiq's audience...and the sonic vibe of the song (which plods along a la 'Just Friends (Sunny)' with a hypnotic DJ Premier-like edge) just works really well for me.
But it's "Onenight" that I consider a real winner (Musiq's biggest experiment here), as he channels the late (great!) Marvin Gaye's warm, tender, and textured musicality in this impressive work of emotional, neo-soul balladry, this is my favorite 'non-radio' track on 'Juslisen', and would love to see this song performed live. "Previouscats" is the most traditionally "modern R&B" song I've ever heard Musiq perform, and it seems to be begging for a contribution by Mary J. Blige; her passionate vibe has somehow found itself embedded into this song.
"Solong" is a decidedly different turn (singing in a deeper voice than usual) for Musiq that provides a pleasant, midtempo segue into "Bestfriend", a lyrically (and musically) interesting duet with newcomer Carol Riddick that is definitely a highlight of the album. "Dontchange" (the 2nd single from 'Juslisen' and deservedly so) will probably become the biggest slow jam (or song, period) from this album, and could very well end up a career-defining hit for Musiq a la K-Ci and JoJo's "All My Life"...
"Motherfather" is a traditional-sounding, gospel flavored tribute from Musiq to his parents, and anyone listening closely to the lyrics can appreciate his sincerity on this track. Musiq's cover of "Something" by the Beatles is nice, but plays it too safe for me to really like it; he doesn't "own" the song the way I wish he would have. "Ifiwouldaknew (Girlnextdoor remix)" uses the same Debarge "Stay With Me" sample as Ashanti's "Foolish", and the late (great!) B.I.G.'s "One More Chance"; I think I can safely speak for most urban music fans when I say I'm sick of that sample...
Overall I'm definitely impressed with 'Juslisen', but at over 75 minutes I feel some tracks could have been left off. This is in stunning contrast to my feelings about'Aijuswanaseing' (which is a much more concise album). I wouldn't pass up 'Juslisen' if you are a fan of organic singer-songwriting styles in R&B (aka neo-soul), or even if you're into recording artists like Usher, Ginuwine, or even Faith Evans because Musiq seems to be wanting to court those fans as well with his newer, more "polished" look and sound. Grade: B+

Don't Falter
Don't Falter
11 used & new from $1.16

5.0 out of 5 stars ~ REFRESHING SIMPLICITY ~, June 13, 2002
This review is from: Don't Falter (Audio CD)
I first heard "Don't Falter" during the 'popfest' summer of 2000; this was the first time I had really gotten into electronica/techno dance music. Songs like Alice Deejay's "Better Off Alone", Funkstar Deluxe's "Sun Is Shining" and Fatboy Slim's "Rockafeller Skank" turned me on to a whole new style of music that for me is optimistic, energetic, and most of all -- fun. "Don't Falter" definitely fits into that category.
"Don't Falter" is an ultra summer-ish, laid back, guitar-laced jam with a groovy bass line, funky percussion, and oh-so delicate female vocals not unlike those featured on "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer or "Lovefool" by the Cardigans. The lyrical message of "Don't Falter" can be best summed up in my favorite lyric from the song: 'you must decide to risk your heart for love to find you'. I just can't say enough about the refreshing simplicity that "Don't Falter" has to offer, and I sincerely hope that one day Mint Royale garners the "pop music" recognition I feel their work truly deserves.
Two other songs by Mint Royale that I consider excellent are: 1) "From Rusholme With Love", a Fatboy Slim-esque Big Beat dancefest employing an Indian Sitar (used in the film Vanilla Sky), and; 2) "Show Me" which features a guest rap by Posdnuos from De La Soul.
Thanks for Reading!

Flawless
Flawless
7 used & new from $4.84

5.0 out of 5 stars JUST LIKE PERFECTION...NEEDS NO CORRECTION..., June 11, 2002
This review is from: Flawless (Audio CD)
"Flawless" is an excellent techno/dance/house song with a Daft Punk ("One More Time") vibe to it, except even slicker. A digitized voice repeats the lines, "Like Perfection...I Know I Look Flawless, Absolutely Flawless", and it really works. Thematically, the song is nothing but unabashed vanity, a la Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" from 1992. But if you liked "The Music Sounds Better With You" by Stardust (decent hit in the U.S. during the spring/summer of 2000), then you should dig "Flawless".
Also, there's a muffled breakdown section (all great house songs have these, don't they?) in which a deep-voiced monologue is spoken in syncopation with the beat -- this works really well too. I'm not sure if "Flawless" will become a huge crossover dance hit (a la "One More Time"), but I can definitely see it happening. All I know is that I fell in love with it the moment I first heard it, and I don't think I'll be getting sick of it anytime soon. "Flawless" is definitely a fave of mine...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS MAG PULLS NO PUNCHES..., May 3, 2002
XXL is the most "in-your-face" major urban magazine out today. The thing I enjoy most about XXL is that their feature articles tend to be much longer (and more jam-packed with info) than the usual one to three page stories you'll find in VIBE or the Source. XXL doesn't pull any punches. They don't hide the fact (at all) that they hate the Source magazine, and will often print what seems "unprintable" in music journalism (anyone remember the post-trial Shyne interview?). Typical artists featured in XXL include: DMX, Ludaxris, Mary J. Blige, various old school rappers, Trina, Jadakiss, Ja Rule, Trick Daddy, etc.
Also important to mention: XXL tends to feature scantily-clad beauties on their pages (that's a positive or negative based on your perspective). Basically, if you want some "dirt" mixed in with respectable urban music journalism, then XXL is definitely the urban/hip-hop magazine for you.

Macross: The Complete
Macross: The Complete
31 used & new from $59.33

5.0 out of 5 stars A DREAM FINALLY COME TRUE..., April 30, 2002
This review is from: Macross: The Complete (Audio CD)
This complete 3 CD soundtrack/orchestral score to the original Macross story (Hikaru Ichijoe, Lynn Minmay, Misa Hayase) is incredible. If you enjoyed the music from the Macross film "Do You Remember Love", the original japanese Macross series, or music from its sequel (2012), then you'll love this; it's all included.
The most stunning surprise for me is that there are instrumental versions of the Minmay songs (with background vocals included) that sound heavenly -- particularly track #25 on disc 2, which is "Do You Remember Love". Other great musical pieces include track #2 on Disc 1, which features the music played as Hikaru and company are scouting space before (and during) the first battle sequence of the film.
The background music from the daytime duel between Max and Milia (when Kakizake gets wasted) is incredible (Disc 2), as well as the haunting choral DYRL love theme played when Misa and Hikaru are learning about the protoculture on the remains of Earth --when that city rose from the bottom of the ocean, remember? The music from the battle in Saturn's rings (when Hikaru and Minmay are saved by Roy Fokker before being captured), and the T'sentradi theme (the start of the final battle) are completely awesome to hear as well.
Remember folks, there are 3 CDs worth of music on here, and each CD is over 70 minutes long. The whole mythos of Macross, from the music, to the storytelling, to the animation is simply magical. I have wanted the music from this movie since I was in the fifth grade -- so I have been humming this music in my head for 14 years. Now I finally own it. If you love background music from anime or memorable cartoons such as Transformers: The Movie (I own that score too), Voltron, or even Robotech, then you should probably consider this.
I must say that out of all the Macross series, I still feel that the Macross Plus installment (Isamu, Guld, & Myung) has the best music (i.e. "Voices"), however the original Macross music is magical too, that is, if you enjoyed it...
Lt. Commander Knyte
Valkyrie pilot - UN Spacy

Macross Plus - Original Soundrack - Vol. 1
Macross Plus - Original Soundrack - Vol. 1
9 used & new from $8.77

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST ANIME MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD..., April 30, 2002
The universe of Macross is simply incredible. From the characters, to the animation, to the storytelling, and the music, it is one of the most compelling works of fiction to ever grace popular culture.
I first heard the Macross Plus Soundtrack (Volume II) last spring, and fell in love with the musical diversity it presented. Then this past spring, I attempted to order this CD, but instead received another Macross Plus CD entitled "For Fans Only". At first I was upset because this wasn't what I'd ordered, and it didn't include the original version of "Voices", but what it did include is excellent; I'll get to that later, but first allow me to highlight this CD:
The National Anthem of Macross (Track 1) is stunning; it sounds like a real anthem, something that makes you swell with pride whenever you hear it. Fly Up In The Air/Tension (Track 2) combines two tracks, the first one really cheerful, with a Spielberg/John Williams flair, followed by a somewhat menacing (think attacking orcs from "Lord Of The Rings") portion that ends really great. In The Dark/Torch Song (Track 3) is the rockish song we hear after Isamu Dyson is injured by Guld during a training exercise. The lines, "I've Been Waiting For You" are repeated throughout this glitzy (and very cool) rock song. The following portion is the Torch song which has a foggy, Celtic/mystical LOTR feel to it. The Torch song is really beautiful.
Track #4 (The Myung Theme) is simply FANTASTIC, and is probably one of my favorite anime-related songs ever. It starts mellow, and builds to a majestic climax replete with french horns, violins, and a punctuating xylophone following the melody of "Voices". Track #5 (Bees and Honey) is another perfectly orchestrated John William-ish track with a light-hearted, flying a la Peter Pan feel to it. Track #6 (In Captivity) is a mellow string track which is quaint, and pensive. Track #7 (More Than 3cm) is the piano version of the ultra-mellow and soothing saxophone melody found on the Vol.2 CD of the Macross Plus Soundtrack. This version is more lush and beautiful than the Vol. 2 version, which is simply very wistful.
Track #8 ("Voices") is a vocal version of one of the most beautiful melodies I have ever heared -- shimmering background music, delicate background vocals and all. Track #9 (Break Out/Cantible) is the most exciting composition here, it details a battle sequence including one segment that is practically bursting at the seams with suspense. I love it. The second part of this track has a memorial sound to it -- sad, and dignified. Track #9 is definitely one of the best works on this album, and in my humble opinion some of the best action scoring I have ever heard composed for an animated film - period.
Very Little Wishes (Track 10) has a healing sound to it, it actually reminds me of Lynn Minmay from the original Macross. Santi-U (Track 11) is creepy. Really creepy - but it works very well to illustrate the dangerous entity that Sharon Apple (from the film) represented.
I apologize for the length of this review, but I would now like to elaborate quickly on the highlights of the "For Fans Only" CD that you should definitely try to get your hands on if you can:
Track #9 from the "Fans Only" version of the Macross Plus Soundtrack is called Wanna Be An Angel, and this song does indeed sound angelic. This song paints visions in my head of warm sunlight shining through the elaborately ornate stained glass windows of a cavernous cathedral in medieval Europe. It features a wonderful blend of female voices that sound like an incredible choir. The background music is perfect J-pop. Put simply, Wanna Be An Angel is my favorite song from the Macross Plus universe -- even more so than Voices, and that should say a lot.
Track #8 from the "Fans Only" version of the Macross Plus Soundtrack is the cello version of Voices, which I now believe to be the best version of the song; it is incredibly moving and must be heard. The last two songs I'll mention here are Track #4 (Tepee) which is this hilarious joke of a march (you've got to hear it to believe it!, and Track #3 (Idol Talk) which starts right from the beginning, no waiting around like you have to do when listening to it on the Macross Plus Soundtrack Vol 2...
Thanks for Reading!