Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for M. Caruso > Reviews

Browse

M. Caruso's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Caruso RSS Feed (NY USA)

The Best Camera Is The One That's With You: iPhone Photography by Chase Jarvis (Voices That Matter)
by Chase Jarvis
35 used & new from $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All About The Idea And The Execution, February 24, 2010
This book is great for one reason. It's simplicity is inspiring. Everyone takes pictures with their camera phones, but most people just brush them off as "not good enough." This book is proof-positive that "not good enough" can be "good enough to publish a book with." On top of this, add what other reviews have called The Best Camera "Trifecta" and you get an ecosystem that is both creative and technically genius. Great work, Chase.

NatureMill Home Composter Plus XE
NatureMill Home Composter Plus XE

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Composter for the Apartment-Goer Without A Yard, February 11, 2010
I had seen the NatureMill indoor composters before and thought it would be perfect for my current living situation (no yard to put an outdoor composter). So, I bought the Plus XE model on Amazon with free shipping. The setup was easy with their first use instruction card and easy to follow instruction manual: all you do is add some ingredients that they provided in the materials shipped with some organic waste that you provide, and wait 48 hours.

Here are a few thoughts on some things that stand out to me about the composter:

Size

It's quite small. It's not tiny, but it's pretty incredible what the device does in such a small space. We put this right next to our garbage pail and while it's longer than the pail, it's also shorter.

Setup

Dead simple setup. The setup instructions they give you detail every step of the way and they give you all of the ingredients you need (except for the organics) to get your composter going. It's literally combine some stuff in the top mixer and let it set for 48 hours. Incredible.

Smell

At first, the smell was pretty bad. Despite the rubber sealing around the top and the air filter in the back, the composter still had an initial smell of coffee, which I could handle. After a few weeks though, as I added more food, it started to smell a bit worse. I tried adding more wood pellets and baking soda to combat the smell, but still had trouble getting the smell down to a bareable level. In addition, whenever you wanted to add items to the composter you have to open the top, which would allow any smells contained in the composter to escape. I think I went too light on the wood pellets and baking soda, so I'm probably more at fault for this than the composter. Give me a break, I've only had it for a month.

Noise

I live in a fairly small area. I try to keep my living space to a minimum. I don't need much and I don't see the need in living in a x-thousand square foot home when I would only use a piece of that home. That being said, my kitchen is fairly close to my bedroom. From reading the manual and just being around the composter for a month, I can tell you that the rotation cycle occurs about every four hours and continues for about ten minutes, start to finish. When it goes off in the middle of the night, it wakes me up. It's not unbelievably noisy, but it's loud enough in my small apartment to wake me up. In addition, in normal power mode, the heater gives off a constant humming noise. I have actually gotten used to the humming to the point where I don't even notice it, but it's still there when you leave it in Normal Power mode.

I keep mentioning Normal Power Mode, because there is an option to change the composter to Energy-Saver mode and Energy-Saver mode is a totally different ballgame.

Energy-Saver Mode

..is huge. In Normal Mode I dealt with both the constant heater noise and the every-four-hour mixing. Not so with Energy-Saver Mode. I think this is the savior I was looking for. Only two people live in my apartment, so we don't create too much organic waste...or waste at all for that matter. The mixer never seems to turn it. It either turns on when I'm at work or in heavy REM sleep, because I never hear it turn. The heater also seems to turn off for periods at a time. The smell has heavily decreased and the noise is gone. Our saving grace! The organics don't breakdown as fast and I don't have too much material in the top mixer yet, but so far so good.

Overall

I would say that, despite the initial smell and noise, I absolutely consider it a worthwhile investment. I just finished my first batch of composted organics and plan to move the organics outside. My recommendation for others: Pick this thing up and change over to energy-saver mode after the first composted batch has moved into the lower compartment and you'll be happy as ever. I've already noticed a small decrease in our garbage creation and I am looking forward to relying on the composted dirt to grow some incredible vegetables.

Ed: Season 1
Ed: Season 1
DVD ~ Tom Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Need the DVD, April 9, 2007
This review is from: Ed: Season 1 (DVD)
I have never written a review before, but the possibility of an Ed DVD made me so excited I knew I had to write in. This show is incredible, I am hoping for the complete series (all seasons) released together, but I will settle with the first season to start.

It's a great show and a killer cast of characters that just play well off each other.