Profile for D. Wilborn > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D. Wilborn RSS Feed (South San Francisco, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Concept good, reliability bad, February 24, 2011
I was so excited when I found this music stand. It was sturdier than those thin metal folding stands. It was compact when folded up and easy to carry. It was easy to set up. But I've had problems with this stand and am now shopping for another one to replace it.
First, one of the legs was too loose. It slid out each time I moved the stand (and in my flute choir, we move around a lot during performances, so this was not good). So I had my handy husband alter the leg and it was better than new. But then, after a performance one night, I heard a snap as I was putting it away. One of the pieces that the legs fit into cracked - and not one that was holding the "altered piece". After many hours of super glue and tape repairs, I'm giving up on this. We fix the piece only to have it snap again.
My recommendation is this stand is not good for frequent use.

Wii Music
Wii Music
Offered by cheapgames
Price: $29.98
174 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational Fun, January 5, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Music (Video Game)
While teenagers will appreciate games like Guitar Hero, the younger crowd will have much more fun with Wii Music - and they will be learning at the same time.

Lessons - Sebastian Tute guides lessons in how to play the different types of instruments, but his later lessons on how to jam teach about rhythm, accompaniment, and song structure. As you take lessons, you unlock even more instruments to enjoy.

Games - Mii Maestro allows you to conduct an orchestra. This seems simple, but the subtle differences in conducting style required to get a good score make it challenging. The handbell game shows how the notes of the scale are structured together to create a song. The final game, Pitch Perfect is a challenging exercise in ear training, where the player is required to match pitches, pick out incorrect notes, and even create chords.

Jams - This is the heart of the game, where you can practice an instrument with the Tutes, or jam with a friend. As you get more experienced at the game, you learn how to make your own arrangements of songs. The Jam section starts of with only a few simple songs, but as you do other activities, eventually 50 songs are available for jam sessions, ranging from simple tunes like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Happy Birthday", to classical pieces like "Minuet in G" and "Ode to Joy", and of course pop tunes like "September", "Every Breath You Take", and "Material Girl".

Videos - All of your saved Jams can be viewed here, and if you are connected online, you can send your Jams to others to enjoy.

Overall, this is a game that is fun for the entire family, but will also give children a background in music they wouldn't normally receive if they didn't pick up a real life instrument.

Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies
Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies
DVD ~ Sara Ivanhoe
Offered by RareFlix-N-Classix
Price: $89.95
41 used & new from $9.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Yoga for anyone!, March 11, 2008
I am more than 100 pounds overweight. In my desire to get into shape, I was searching for a gentle program to help me stretch and maintain flexibility. This DVD is perfect - the basic workout is slow paced, with plenty of instruction. If I can do it, anyone can! There is also an intermediate program that will challenge you and get the sweat going, as it is faster paced. I love it!

Curious George (Widescreen Edition)
Curious George (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Will Ferrell
Price: $8.48
102 used & new from $0.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Made for kids - a return to simpler storytelling, December 31, 2006
Recently movies for kids have been filled with humor aimed at adults, sometimes bordering on the inappropriate. Curious George was made with young children in mind. The soft animation style is pleasing to the eye, the story is easy for kids to follow and understand. While adults without children may not be interested, parents can watch this movie with their kids without being completely bored.

The Unusual Suspect: My Calling to the New Hardcore Movement of Faith
The Unusual Suspect: My Calling to the New Hardcore Movement of Faith
by Stephen Baldwin
181 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, but with a flaw, December 31, 2006
I have no doubts that Stephen Baldwin has been called to minister to people who may not "fit in" with a more traditional approach. He writes very clearly and with much humor. His journey to faith is open and honest, and his analysis of basic doctrines of Scripture is written in an accessible manner. My one problem with this book is his focus on himself: on almost every page he is referring to himself in the third person (Stevie B.) and it gets very annoying after a few chapters.

The First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer
The First Years Quick Serve Bottle Warmer
Price: $16.79
42 used & new from $11.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but does the job!, July 23, 2006
I love this bottle warmer, but I have to admit that it's taken a while to get used to its quirks. For one thing, the guide says that to heat a bottle, you should fill the water container to a 7 or 8. Well, we've found that 8 is too hot - a level between 6 & 7 takes the chill off just right though, so the milk isn't hot at all, just barely warmed to about room temp. Also, water deposits tend to accumulate on the basket, so it needs to be wiped down once a week.

Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail
Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail
Price: $22.25
30 used & new from $17.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - keeps odor inside, March 30, 2006
We have had this for four years. It is easy to change the garbage bags - we use the same size for our household trash, so it's very convenient. When the lid is closed, it does a good job of keeping odor contained. However, it stinks inside - the odor disc ran out quickly and this company apparently doesn't sell replacement discs - you have to improvise. Lysol and bleach help a little bit - but thankfully you only notice the smell when you are changing the bag.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, Cool Letter Fun, April 2, 2005
They Might Be Giants has always been different - and their journey into the world of kids' DVDs is more of the same! The songs are catchy, the animation is wild! My 3 year old daughter loves QU, Go for G, Clap Your Hands, and Who Put the Alphabet in Alphabetical Order... I personally also enjoy LMNO and The Alphabet Lost and Found.

A unique approach to letter learning, but most importantly, lots of fun!

The Lord's Table: A Biblical Approach to Weight Loss (Setting Captives Free)
The Lord's Table: A Biblical Approach to Weight Loss (Setting Captives Free)
by Mike Cleveland
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: $19.98
56 used & new from $12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars The Search Ends Here, March 11, 2005
I spent years searching for the answer to my weight problem. I tried every thing, even other Christian weight loss books. But this book changed my life! I have been set free from my addiction to overeating. Food is no longer my master - it's my servant, and I use it to grow healthy and strong. But more importantly, this book has brought me closer to God, deepening my relationship with Him. The focus is no longer on food, it's on Jesus - and this book was the guide that helped me get there.

What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
What's a Christian to Do with Harry Potter?
by Connie Neal
Price: $14.30
164 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Every Christian parent should read this!, November 15, 2001
It's time to stop worrying about Harry Potter.
This book is a guide that will help you decide, once and for all, if Harry Potter is right for you and your family.
Best of all, it has a chapter on how to deal with children who have already read the book - and how to help them distinguish the fantasy from the reality.

Page: 1 | 2