Profile for Marty B > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 143

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marty B "Marty B" RSS Feed (SF Bay Area, California)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
AmazonBasics 14-Inch Laptop Sleeve
AmazonBasics 14-Inch Laptop Sleeve
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, October 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Never having dropped and broken a laptop, I don't wish to start now. I'm crazy careful about certain things. My car may be dirty, but my computer stuff is neat as a pin. I have a paint brush to whisk dust off my keyboard every day. I have backups in the clouds, on a home network server and on DVDs. I always put my laptop in a case when I transport it.

I purchased a new Dell 14 inch ultrabook a few months ago and it has a nice cherry red finish on it. No way was I going to let this get marked up by throwing it in a backpack along with sharp scratchy objects. I purchased a seemingly nice case from an eBay vendor and immediately fell out of love with it. My laptop swims in this... it is simply a little too big and my laptop is uncomfortable to carry in the sleeve - it moves around too much inside the case. The other problem is that it really doesn't feel like it would save my laptop should I drop it. It protects the outside of the laptop from scratches, but the padding is just too thin to really provide any shock absorption.

But I have also had cases that were too thick, too. Protection galore, but that laptop then becomes way too thick when placed in my backpack.

The AmazonBasics sleeve here seems to be perfect - it has a nice heft to the thickness of the material - not too much, but quite protective. The size is PERFECT for my Dell ultrabook - the zipper closes without any argument, but the laptop is quite securely in place when closed. The look of the case is quite professional - there is a rubberized label on the case - quite discreet - about a half inch tall and a bit less than two inches wide that says "Amazon basics." The construction of the case looks first class - the zipper runs the full width of the case, so there is no problem sliding the computer into and out of the sleeve. The zipper itself appears to be of high quality, with a plastic cover on the zipper pull. The sides of the case are covered with a fabric and the bottom of the case is of the same foam type material as the rest of the case. Nicely done, Amazon! My Dell has a new home.

Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Apptivity Entertainer
Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Apptivity Entertainer
Offered by Clickdeals
Price: $21.01
11 used & new from $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 inn 1 or 300 in 1?, August 16, 2013
Serious fun!

The Apptivity Entertainer is advertised as 3 things in 1 (tummy, sitting, and on the go), but really the possibilities are endless. There are tons of apps out there to briefly entertain and distract small toddlers and infants, not to mention Netflix and Youtube. Don't kid yourself, this is not an educational toy that will teach your baby math or science skills. But when you are in an airport, or a car, grocery shopping, cooking dinner, whatever it is, this represents some quality distraction when you need it most.

This little device works great. It's heavy-duty so you don't need to worry about your phone or Ipod at all. Your iWhatever is completely protected, it's not going to break if this gets tossed around. And the lock is complicated enough that your baby is never going to get to the phone, no matter how hard she tries. And, it is relatively easy to put your phone in and take it out when play time is over.

The kick stand feature is a nice addition, it does help tummy time last a little bit longer. The Apptivity Entertainer also boasts a really durable hook, which gives you peace of mind that the toy, with phone, isn't going to be lost.

I use this with an iPhone 4s, but the inside is versatile, so it could fit the longer and skinnier iPhone 5 securely, and the thinner iPod touch just fine, and probably whatever is to come with future iPhone designs.

Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt)
Price: Click here to see our price
104 used & new from $11.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Another high quality Belkin product - great for travelers, August 7, 2013
Traveling has enough challenges, but it is rare that there are enough electrical outlets in my hotel room for my menagerie of rechargeable devices. Between my cell phones, my iPod, my laptop and occasionally, a GPS device, I'm usually "tapped out" by the time I hit the sack. Or, I arrive at the airport to find that all the outlets are already claimed by someone with a brick in the wall covering both sockets for his laptop.

This little gem from Belkin is great for US travelers - it gives you a Plus Two on the outlets AND it contains two USB charge outlets as well. I'm not an electrician, so I can't tell you how much juice it can provide in total.

As other reviewers have commented, it is not tiny... it is 5 X 3 X 1.5 inches, but it appears to be very well made and durable. The plug end - rather than collapsing to take less room - turns so that you can maneuver it in three different directions to make room for other devices to use the remaining wall socket.

The green light on device tells you if you have a grounded socket and the small plastic plug cover should be saved! It neatly slides into a small slot on the end of the outlet to support it when plugged into the wall.

Michelin MN-4357B Programmable Gauge
Michelin MN-4357B Programmable Gauge
Price: $15.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, small tire gauge for right-handers, July 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Honda CR-V with automatic tire pressure monitors that tell me when my tire pressure is too low. Even though I have relatively new tires on the car, my monitor lights up frequently. Unfortunately, the monitor doesn't pinpoint the tire, just that one or more of them are "low."

This neat little tire pressure gauge from Michelin is very handy. It comes in a small profile zipper case and stores neatly in my glove box or in the center console storage. It has a button that illuminates the area if you are trying to find the tire valve in the dark and the operation is quite simple... you hold it to the valve needle and press. It has a well lit digital display that holds for about two seconds, displaying your current pressure.

If you are right handed, everything is fine - you can see the display as you hold the gauge near the tire. If you are left handed, you have to turn the gauge over to see the display.

The gauge seems accurate, and the display is crystal clear. The unit is powered by two CR2032 button style batteries, commonly available in most pharmacies and hardware stores.

Timex Women's T2N914 Weekender Mid-Size Slip-Thru Berry Nylon Strap Watch
Timex Women's T2N914 Weekender Mid-Size Slip-Thru Berry Nylon Strap Watch
Price: $25.47
13 used & new from $21.65

5.0 out of 5 stars It's still ticking, July 24, 2013
John Cameron Swayze's iconic commercials from the 1950s still burn in my consciousness. Timex watches would be strapped to a motorboat propeller, then tortured for a few seconds at high speed, removed and they'd be "Still Ticking." What I didn't realize at the time was that Timex was overcoming the perception that a watch had to cost several hundred dollars and be imported from Switzerland to be any good. Timex watches were mass produced, probably in Japan and kept flawless time despite their humble origin.

This little gem was a last minute birthday present for my wife who hates most watches, but loves this one. It is casual yet attractive. It has a minimum of functions - it basically tells time - and is easy to read with our baby boomer eyes. Want the date? Check the newspaper pal... this watch tells the time. Period. But it is as accurate as any $500 watch I have in my drawer and looks nice on my wife's wrist. It is the proper size for a woman (I had purchased it's larger size mistakenly and that one is on my wrist now.) and is nicely priced so that if it gets lost, it won't be a majorly bad day.

Ooma HB1001 Cordless Phone Battery 3.6 Volt, Li-Ion 700 mAh - Replacement For OOMA HB1001
Offered by East Coast Photo
Price: $9.49
4 used & new from $3.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure ooma, July 19, 2013
My ooma handset (first generation) started to poop out on me during lengthy conversations and I needed to find a replacement. I ALWAYS compare prices on things like this between Amazon and eBay, and Amazon had the right price. The battery was shipped quickly by an Amazon vendor and it was installed in my phone in just a minute or so. It is a perfect fit and once charged (overnight) it operates the phone just fine. I should probably buy another just in case!

Timex Unisex T2N652 "Weekender" Fuchsia Nylon Strap Watch
Timex Unisex T2N652 "Weekender" Fuchsia Nylon Strap Watch
Offered by GMTINC
Price: $26.95
17 used & new from $24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Timex - but NOT a woman's model, July 19, 2013
I wanted a quick gift for my wife's almost-overlooked birthday and ordered this. It showed up on time (Thanks Prime!) but wow! This watch is in no way a woman's watch. It is quite large and wouldn't qualify even as a 'boyfriend watch'. I have large hands and it even looks big on my hands. It has nice styling, seems to run accurately and the night light is fantastic. But it is not for women. Amazon should correct its listing.

Reflections Of My Life (Original Recording)
Reflections Of My Life (Original Recording)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tune from the early 70s, July 7, 2013
Complex and simple, great composition, outstanding background vocals. One of my favorite one hit wonder tunes. Four more words required to make this an official review.

White Cotton Smocked Bodice Christening Baptism Gown - Size M (6-12 Month)
White Cotton Smocked Bodice Christening Baptism Gown - Size M (6-12 Month)
Offered by Number 1 In Service
Price: $54.99
8 used & new from $54.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful dress, July 7, 2013
Bought this for our granddaughter's baptism and it fit well and looked great. She is a bit large for her age, and it fit perfectly. Not sure it would fit at the upper end of the age bracket, but it is a gorgeous gown for a little one's special day.

U.S. Traveler Koskin Leather Rolling Carry-On Duffel Bag (Black)
U.S. Traveler Koskin Leather Rolling Carry-On Duffel Bag (Black)
Offered by Shoebuy
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $42.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality, but not very stable, June 10, 2013
The bag is big - bigger than a normal duffel bag and it packs enough for a three or four day trip. The material is quality and it looks well constructed with good hardware. Sure, it is basic black and looks like a thousand other pieces of luggage at the airport, but it is good looking.

My only complaint is that the width of the wheels - relative to the length of the duffel - is not sufficient to make a stable towing bag. If you have this bag packed to the max, you will find that it can be an unwilling participant to move from point A to point B without tipping to one side or the other. If you were dashing to a plane at O'Hare at 5pm on a Friday with this thing, it could make for a difficult journey.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15