Profile for Marty B > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 149

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Marty B "Marty B" RSS Feed (SF Bay Area, California)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
String Light Company SL5015 Vintage Series 48-Ft Commercial String Lights with 15 Light Sockets
Price: $53.26
14 used & new from $43.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Start the party - the night is ours!, December 28, 2013
I've wanted good quality lights for my backyard patio and a recent engagement party my wife and I hosted for our daughter and her fiancé gave us the excuse to buy two 48 foot strands of these lights. They arrived quickly and I started to install them.

But oh my! These lights are well built and quite heavy. I wanted to string both strands from one corner of my house to another - a full 48 foot run, but the weight of each string was too much to support itself. I purchased some 1/16th plastic covered steel cable installed that first - nice and tight and high enough that the weight of the lights wouldn't sag too much. I then used plastic ties to attach the lights to the cable and added a plastic tie connection in between each light socket. The overall installation took about an hour and was pretty simple once I figured the installation out. The lights look durable, but we haven't experience any rain or bad weather yet. When we do, I'll re-post how the lights survived.

Anker® 2nd Gen Astro E3 10000mAh Dual-Port Ultra Compact External Battery Portable USB Charger Power Bank - PowerIQ™ Broad Compatibility, Fast Charging, High Capacity - For iPhone 5s 5c 5, iPad Air mini, Galaxy S5 S4, Tab 2, Note 3 2, LG G3, Nexus, HTC One M8, MOTO X, PS Vita and More (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $28.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to arrive, slow to charge, ill-fitting case and easy-to-lose connections. What's not to like?, November 26, 2013
I ordered this from Amazon using my Prime account and needed it for a trip. It arrived much later than it should have and I still don't know whether it was Amazon's shipper that screwed up or if it was drop shipped from Anker. Both say the other guy did it.

The unit itself if nice - Apple-like in appearance. It has two USB out ports that are marked "Apple" and "Android", but little else in the way of description or markings. Hey! It's a battery!

The battery also comes with a black mesh bag that is too small to actually contain the battery and several cords to connect it to an external charging source and to devices that you wish to charge. Those parts don't fit in the mesh bag without the risk of scratching the battery. Not well thought out design, but the unit functions.

That is, after you charge it. When I first plugged it into an an external AC adapter, it took about 18 hours to come up to a full charge, as indicated by four little blue lights on the battery. I would hate to think how long it would take to fully charge while connected to a USB port.

Because it arrived after my business trip, I haven't really had much of a chance to use it "in the field," but I'm sure it works fine... it was just a bit of a hassle to get it, charge it, and I'm not at all impressed by the poorly designed mesh bag.

GoodSense All Day Pain Relief, Naproxen Sodium Tablets, 220mg, 100-count
GoodSense All Day Pain Relief, Naproxen Sodium Tablets, 220mg, 100-count
Price: $5.48
2 used & new from $5.48

5.0 out of 5 stars All day - seriously!, November 4, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I first discovered Naproxin in the early 1980s when it was a prescription-only medication from Syntex and I was playing way too much volleyball. My right heel would hurt for several days after a match and my doctor prescribed Naprosyn for the inflammation. I appreciated then how it would just take one tablet to ease the pain for an entire day. I forgot about the drug in the 1990s as ibuprofen took over the medicine cabinet as my go-to pain relief.

When Naprosyn went to an OTC medication in the 1990s, I used it only occasionally - more of a body-ache pain relief than a headache remedy. I still use it as such today. Headache: take ibuprofin. Body ache: take naproxin.

After moving my son and his family into a house this weekend, carrying dozens of boxes and heavy pieces of furniture, my lower back was really tweaked. I only had ibuprofen in my travel kit and it provided a few hours of pain relief... as soon as I arrived home, I reached for this Good Sense All Day Pain Relief and I was good to go all day yesterday and today. Your mileage may vary, but when my hips, knees or back hurt, this is the stuff that allows me to lower that pain volume from 5 down to 1.

Bumble Bee Sensations lemon pepper Tuna Medley Kit,  3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Bumble Bee Sensations lemon pepper Tuna Medley Kit, 3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Price: $31.55
2 used & new from $30.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Is tuna, tuna?, October 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Memories of childhood: I'd go out to a swanky restaurant with my parents - probably about age 6 - and no matter what was on the menu, I'd order a tuna fish sandwich. My parents would just kind of look away when the food server would look at me like a cretin and look at me like I was, well, just a dumb kid. But tuna was what I wanted and most of the time, what I was served.

I've had this love affair with tuna fish for about as long as I can remember. In fact, I remember the moment when, is horror, I realized that tuna fish was, in fact, FISH.

I've had canned tuna, fresh tuna, raw tuna, all my life, and probably wouldn't recognize an actual tuna fish if it landed in my boat, but I love the flavor of tuna. I tried the BumbleBee Sensations Lemon & Pepper tuna medley and here's what I think.

It's good. It's easy. It's convenient. I'd buy it again.

The packet comes in an easy to trot around plastic case, with a package of crackers, the tin of tuna and a small knife to spread the tuna on the crackers. The tin has a pull off tab top, so you don't need a can opener to get at the good stuff. I've yet to try the crackers.. I'm a sandwich guy, remember? The texture of the tuna is smooth enough to spread - this is not your chunk tuna - it's small particles of tuna, with, in this sample, a nice lemon and pepper addition. The lemon stands out slightly from the great tuna flavor - the pepper not so much, although it is visible in the mixture. The tuna flavor stands out, but in a good way. It does not taste like old or poor quality tuna, but then, it doesn't stand out as chunk albacore tuna, either. It's good - let's leave it at that.

The tuna tin bears some comment: my wife walked in on me while I was preparing my sandwich and looked at the small, cat-food-sized tin and asked me what the heck I was eating for lunch. I had to show her the packet the tuna and crackers came in to assure her I wasn't eating a selection from the pet food aisle. If you choose to take this stuff to work with you, better save the plastic packaging too, unless you're trying to pull a pity play with the boss for a raise.

Good stuff - convenience is a major plus.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Price: $28.74
349 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, limited content so far, October 11, 2013
I ordered this on a lark, but am glad I did. It installs in a couple of minutes and my Samsung Android phone connected to it when I downloaded the correct app from the Play Store. I instantly streamed You Tube and NetFlix movies to my television. The picture quality is outstanding, (unless, of course, the quality of the source isn't!) and all controllable from the phone.

As with any new device, there is a limited number of program sources now, but if it never goes beyond Netflix and YouTube, I'd be satisfied.

C2G / Cables to Go 30504 USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter (Black)
C2G / Cables to Go 30504 USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter (Black)
Price: Click here to see our price
72 used & new from $17.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for those old hard drives, October 11, 2013
Anyone who has upgraded a computer or two probably has a fully functional hard drive lying around with data on it. I know that I have eight or so of these old beasts, and every once in a while, I want to recall what is on them, or use them for a specific backup job. I have a couple of external drive bays that I can open up and plug these guys in, but those bays have real drives that I use for quarterly backups of important data, and removing and then reinstalling drives is a pain. I had been looking for a solution that would allow me to quickly plug a drive in to my system and use for a few minutes - and I found this Cables to Go solution.

The adapter from Cables to Go allows me to plug either an IDE (old style!) or SATA drive into my computer and use it as an extra drive. It supplies the power and the proper drive connection, then plugs into a USB port. It works! Unless the drive is damaged, you can format the old drive, copy files to it, or destroy it so that no one can ever look at your data if they get your drive from a recycle place. The adapter is small, but the power brick that comes with it isn't. The instructions are sparse, and could be better. Occasionally, drives have small jumper switches on their business end that need to be tweaked to work properly as an external drive, but none of this is explained by Cables to Go. That's ok for us system junkies, but if you have trouble, even most old drives have a jumper setting diagram on the disk label.

AmazonBasics 14-Inch Laptop Sleeve
AmazonBasics 14-Inch Laptop Sleeve
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, October 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Never having dropped and broken a laptop, I don't wish to start now. I'm crazy careful about certain things. My car may be dirty, but my computer stuff is neat as a pin. I have a paint brush to whisk dust off my keyboard every day. I have backups in the clouds, on a home network server and on DVDs. I always put my laptop in a case when I transport it.

I purchased a new Dell 14 inch ultrabook a few months ago and it has a nice cherry red finish on it. No way was I going to let this get marked up by throwing it in a backpack along with sharp scratchy objects. I purchased a seemingly nice case from an eBay vendor and immediately fell out of love with it. My laptop swims in this... it is simply a little too big and my laptop is uncomfortable to carry in the sleeve - it moves around too much inside the case. The other problem is that it really doesn't feel like it would save my laptop should I drop it. It protects the outside of the laptop from scratches, but the padding is just too thin to really provide any shock absorption.

But I have also had cases that were too thick, too. Protection galore, but that laptop then becomes way too thick when placed in my backpack.

The AmazonBasics sleeve here seems to be perfect - it has a nice heft to the thickness of the material - not too much, but quite protective. The size is PERFECT for my Dell ultrabook - the zipper closes without any argument, but the laptop is quite securely in place when closed. The look of the case is quite professional - there is a rubberized label on the case - quite discreet - about a half inch tall and a bit less than two inches wide that says "Amazon basics." The construction of the case looks first class - the zipper runs the full width of the case, so there is no problem sliding the computer into and out of the sleeve. The zipper itself appears to be of high quality, with a plastic cover on the zipper pull. The sides of the case are covered with a fabric and the bottom of the case is of the same foam type material as the rest of the case. Nicely done, Amazon! My Dell has a new home.

Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Apptivity Entertainer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Fisher-Price 3-in-1 Apptivity Entertainer (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Lightwithin
Price: $13.99
12 used & new from $12.05

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 inn 1 or 300 in 1?, August 16, 2013
Serious fun!

The Apptivity Entertainer is advertised as 3 things in 1 (tummy, sitting, and on the go), but really the possibilities are endless. There are tons of apps out there to briefly entertain and distract small toddlers and infants, not to mention Netflix and Youtube. Don't kid yourself, this is not an educational toy that will teach your baby math or science skills. But when you are in an airport, or a car, grocery shopping, cooking dinner, whatever it is, this represents some quality distraction when you need it most.

This little device works great. It's heavy-duty so you don't need to worry about your phone or Ipod at all. Your iWhatever is completely protected, it's not going to break if this gets tossed around. And the lock is complicated enough that your baby is never going to get to the phone, no matter how hard she tries. And, it is relatively easy to put your phone in and take it out when play time is over.

The kick stand feature is a nice addition, it does help tummy time last a little bit longer. The Apptivity Entertainer also boasts a really durable hook, which gives you peace of mind that the toy, with phone, isn't going to be lost.

I use this with an iPhone 4s, but the inside is versatile, so it could fit the longer and skinnier iPhone 5 securely, and the thinner iPod touch just fine, and probably whatever is to come with future iPhone designs.

Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports, 5 Charging Outlets Total (1 AMP / 5 Watt)
Price: Click here to see our price
86 used & new from $10.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Another high quality Belkin product - great for travelers, August 7, 2013
Traveling has enough challenges, but it is rare that there are enough electrical outlets in my hotel room for my menagerie of rechargeable devices. Between my cell phones, my iPod, my laptop and occasionally, a GPS device, I'm usually "tapped out" by the time I hit the sack. Or, I arrive at the airport to find that all the outlets are already claimed by someone with a brick in the wall covering both sockets for his laptop.

This little gem from Belkin is great for US travelers - it gives you a Plus Two on the outlets AND it contains two USB charge outlets as well. I'm not an electrician, so I can't tell you how much juice it can provide in total.

As other reviewers have commented, it is not tiny... it is 5 X 3 X 1.5 inches, but it appears to be very well made and durable. The plug end - rather than collapsing to take less room - turns so that you can maneuver it in three different directions to make room for other devices to use the remaining wall socket.

The green light on device tells you if you have a grounded socket and the small plastic plug cover should be saved! It neatly slides into a small slot on the end of the outlet to support it when plugged into the wall.

Michelin MN-4357B Programmable Gauge
Michelin MN-4357B Programmable Gauge
Price: $14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, small tire gauge for right-handers, July 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Honda CR-V with automatic tire pressure monitors that tell me when my tire pressure is too low. Even though I have relatively new tires on the car, my monitor lights up frequently. Unfortunately, the monitor doesn't pinpoint the tire, just that one or more of them are "low."

This neat little tire pressure gauge from Michelin is very handy. It comes in a small profile zipper case and stores neatly in my glove box or in the center console storage. It has a button that illuminates the area if you are trying to find the tire valve in the dark and the operation is quite simple... you hold it to the valve needle and press. It has a well lit digital display that holds for about two seconds, displaying your current pressure.

If you are right handed, everything is fine - you can see the display as you hold the gauge near the tire. If you are left handed, you have to turn the gauge over to see the display.

The gauge seems accurate, and the display is crystal clear. The unit is powered by two CR2032 button style batteries, commonly available in most pharmacies and hardware stores.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15