Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for B. mccoy > Reviews

Browse

B. mccoy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. mccoy RSS Feed (New England)

The Darkest Part of the Woods
The Darkest Part of the Woods
by Ramsey Campbell
42 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Too slow and full of characters I didn't care about, March 14, 2005
I picked this book up in the library expecting because it seemed to have similar elements to a book I am writing. Hopefully my book won't come out this way. Cambell spends far too much time showing us the inner workings of a family we don't particularly care about and not enough time building our interest in what is in the woods. I didn't even stick around to find out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2011 3:50 AM PDT

Tales of Ephidrena
Tales of Ephidrena
53 used & new from $0.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A good little trip, January 14, 2002
This review is from: Tales of Ephidrena (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite cd's. If you dig hypnotic beats and far out sound effects then you will dig this. Several of the tracks have samples similar to bits on ISDN but in much more finished, produced fashions.
This is definitely not for techno fans who want to hear Dido with a beat, but if you are up for something different, bizarre, but still freakin cool, this is a great buy. Like ISDN, great for long drives, but you can listen to selected tracks too.

ISDN
ISDN
Offered by Big_Box_Bargains
Price: $14.95
38 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Experimental... straight up weird, January 14, 2002
This review is from: ISDN (Audio CD)
But good enough to keep your attention if you're willing to let it. The first time I listened to this album I made it about two tracks before shutting it off. It took a long time for me to even give it another try, but when I did, I liked it much better. Its not the sort of CD you can listen to in bits so its excellent for long drives. Some extremely funky, cool stuff and just some straight up weird stuff. If you like ambient music this is a good choice, if you don't...

Live-Evil
Live-Evil
13 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., May 9, 2001
This review is from: Live-Evil (Audio CD)
I bought this album after being blown away by Bitches Brew. It was recorded live, as the title states only a little later than when Miles was working on Bitches Brew. There are some truly evil tracks on this album. "What I say" has one of the most funky, energetic beats I've ever heard "Funky Tonk" is also quite good. However, I will make the same criticism so many people make about Miles' electric period, by using so many musicians, many of whom are not jazz musicians, the music gets a little crowded. Too many cooks spoils the broth. However, you can't find fault with Miles playing, in fact, his runs on top of these crazy, funky beats are the best part of the album. But I feel that at times this album asks too much of the listener. The drum solo on "What I say" is way, way too long and many of the solos do not match the beats at all. If you're just getting into Miles' fusion days, you're probably better off buying Bitches Brew. This is more an album for the hard core fan. Still, you can't fault the man for trying and I'm sure that the music was much cooler at the shows than on the CD.

Major Works of John Coltrane: Ascension 1 & 2 / Om / Kulu Se Mama / Selflessness
Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $19.13
64 used & new from $2.76

1.0 out of 5 stars The Emporer's New Clothes?, April 12, 2001
I continually hear nothing but how great and gifted a musician John was but when I finally hear his music, I wonder what all the talk is about. Nothing but cacophony here. If you like the sound of several musicians each listening only to his own instrument, then you will like this. Otherwise, you will probably consider this to be pure tripe. I'll stick to more conventional music.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2013 12:24 PM PST

Snivilisation
Snivilisation
Price: $13.98
34 used & new from $1.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Orbital's finest work, February 5, 2001
This review is from: Snivilisation (Audio CD)
What can I say. Although Orbital's music is classified as "techno" there can be no doubt the brothers' skills transcend that poppy genre and this album is their finest work. It is a concept album so you must listen to it from beginning to end and every track (with one exception) is excellent. The album comes to a climax on "Are We Here?".
Perhaps what is most commendable about Orbital is their ability to build a beat in the abscence of a central boom-boom beat that is so common in electronic music. If you listen closely, the beat is actually built by layering the loops carefully so as to build a rhythm that dances around where the beat would be.
This album is one of my three favorites. The other two, incidentally are not "electronica" albums so this says something about the quality here. Every person I've ever played the CD for has agreed that it is incredible. So if you're looking for a CD with some heavy meaning, mean mixing excellent tunes look no further. And you can dance to it too.

Wake Up & Dream
Wake Up & Dream
Offered by MOM MOM'S
Price: $12.11
31 used & new from $0.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, original music, February 1, 2001
This review is from: Wake Up & Dream (Audio CD)
I knew from the moment I saw this CD it would be good. And my first listen confirmed my expectations. An absolutely fabulous CD (to coin the term). The CD moves from track to track in a journey like motion making excellent use of percussion, synthetic sounds and some very good guitar riffs as well. From the moment you put in the first track you realize that this is an original work unlike others. The sound is somewhat like classical, mixed with ambient techno. Very cool, very relaxing, one of the best cd's in my collection.

A Happy Death
A Happy Death
by Richard Howard
Price: $10.88
87 used & new from $3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of existentialism, January 24, 2001
This review is from: A Happy Death (Paperback)
I read the Stranger in high school and loved it so when I saw this book on the shelf I had to read it.
This book was written prior to the Stranger and still centers on the brooding Meursault. The difference here is that Meursault gets away with his crime and is allow to continue with life.
The book is a beautiful record of a culture that no longer exists and provides, I think, a much better exposition of existentialism and how one can acheive some measure of happiness in a world, which most likely, has no meaning.
This is one of my favorite books and is an excellent alter-text to the Stranger.

The Barbarian Conversion: From Paganism to Christianity
The Barbarian Conversion: From Paganism to Christianity
by R. A. Fletcher
109 used & new from $0.25

4.0 out of 5 stars A detailed history of the Early Middle Ages, January 22, 2001
Richard Fletcher has written an exceptional work here. From the moment you open it several things are clear. Firstly, Mr. Fletcher speaks with obvious authority and knows the subject extremely well. He speaks about the most obscure characters and texts with striking familiarity. It is also apparent that he is a well read, high brow European and his writing is sometimes awkward to the American ear. Perhaps Fletcher's greatest acheivement is piecing together a comprehensive history from a time in which very little was recorded and preserved. He never gives too much weight to a particular source document, always weighing an author's account against any biases or hidden agendas.
The conversion of just about every group in western Europe is covered in detail and Fletcher gives us a well rounded chronicle of religious conversion on both the personal and societal level. He also never fails to iterate any or all of the reasons why an individual or people might convert.
Fletcher can be accused of going into too much detail at times. The chapters tend flow in biographies from one obscure monk to another with very little overview in between. This makes for difficult reading in the middle chapters. However, given the lack of published materials on the subject, this error can be overlooked.
Stellar research, recommended reading for any scholar of religious change or of the early middle ages.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: A Novel
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: A Novel
by Haruki Murakami
Price: $10.83
168 used & new from $2.71

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting though not easily understandable read, January 22, 2001
This book will keep you interested and entertained from start to finish. It is a sort of fantasy, mystery, love story. The plot is actually three plots. The protaganist is searching for his missing wife, is developing a friendship with a teenage girl all the while Murakami is retelling a veteran's horrific war story.
The book is hard to interpret, my belief is that it has many meanings but the main point I took away from it is the power of imagination and meditation in acheiving our goals and desires. It is beautiflly written and I would give it a higher rating were it not a little slow in spots. Still, an excellent, mesmerizing read