Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale
Profile for JimQPublic > Reviews

Browse

JimQPublic's Profile

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

JimQPublic RSS Feed (California, United States)

RND Apple Certified Cable for iPad, iPhone, iPod (6 feet/black)
RND Apple Certified Cable for iPad, iPhone, iPod (6 feet/black)
Offered by RND Power Solutions
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges & Syncs!, November 1, 2011
Pros:
+Syncs just fine between iPhone 4s and PC
+Charges iPhone 4s with Apple wall outlet (OEM plug included with phone). Phone went from 54% to 83% in 30 minutes. Based on that rate I think it must not have any significant electrical resistance compared to the short Apple cord.
+Plug is compact and fits iFrogz case with plenty of room to spare.
+2m (~6') length is perfect for use while plugged in to computer sitting on floor or wall charger (1 meter original is too short for me to easily use the phone in these situations)
+Small strain relief reinforcement where cord enters plugs appears to protect cord from damage at these spots.

Cons:
-Only negative based on 2 days' use is that the cord seems stiffer than Apple's cord.

Worthington 281149 1-Gallon Steel Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve
Price: $62.15
11 used & new from $49.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for camping- portable & stable., August 10, 2011
I've been using this tank when camping for several years. It is great with a "Propane Distribution Tree" that allows a lantern to be mounted on top and hoses for stoves to attach to the side. I normally place it on top of the campground picnic table.

The tank is very portable and very stable due to the wide base. It appears to be more stable than the available 10 and 11 pound tanks.

Even though it's a small tank, the much larger mass than 1 pound disposable cylinders prevents the common loss of pressure that happens when the small cylinders approach empty and they "freeze-up".

The only downsides are due to the limited capacity, and difficulty in getting a good fill. This tank is so short that the "Overfill Prevention Device", which is a float valve, tends to shut off early if the technician tries to fill too fast. Ask them to just crack the fill valve and you will will get a better fill. Still, the usable capacity is just 4.2 pounds or about the same as 4 disposable cylinders.

Of course the price is a problem. 20 pound tanks are cheap, anything bigger or smaller is a lot more. I presume it's due to lower sales volume. The price was worth it to me due to the ease of use.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2015 6:05 AM PST

Lodge K11BRSH Cast Iron Scrubber Brush
Lodge K11BRSH Cast Iron Scrubber Brush

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Junk!, January 26, 2007
I have a lot of Lodge cast iron cookware and love it. Unfortunately this brush doesn't live up to Lodge's reputation. I got two- one for the kitchen and one for the camper. After a dozen or so uses each one started to fall apart. Once the handle falls off the first time you might as well throw it away. The head still works for scrubbing but as others have posted you're better off with a $1 all-plastic scrub brush.

Lodge A5 Camp Dutch Oven Lid Lifter
Lodge A5 Camp Dutch Oven Lid Lifter
Price: $11.04
43 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One more gadget but worth it., January 26, 2006
They could give away dutch ovens if everyone would promise to buy all the accessories. At first I made do with a hooked piece of wire but after dropping ashes in the pot and almost burning myself a few times I got the lid lifter. It's actually quite useful.

You can leave it on the lid and it stays in place. The handle is long enough that the heat doesn't seem to travel up and make it too hot to hold. The "wings" adjacent to the hook brace on the lid so when you pick the lid up it doesn't wobble or tilt (which is when the ashes would drop on your food!).

The hook also works well to grab the scalding hot bail of the Dutch Oven to carry or reposition the whole oven. For even cooking the standard practice is to rotate the oven one way and the lid the other way every once in a while- that way any hot spots from the coals will spread around. This tool lets you safely do both. Also you don't really have to lift the lid to rotate it- which would let heat out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

Lodge Camp Dutch Oven, 4 Qt
Lodge Camp Dutch Oven, 4 Qt
Price: $51.85
29 used & new from $36.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookware you have a relationship with., January 26, 2006
People seem to either love, hate, or have total disinterest in cast iron cookware. I love it. It seems to have a lot more soul than "modern" utensils.

I've been reading "Little House on the Prarie" to my daughter and she enjoyed hearing how the Ingalls used a pot just like daddy has.

This dutch oven is quite versitile. I can use it with campfire coals, with charcoal, over my Coleman campstove, or in the oven at home. The legs are too long to use on my rangetop at home (without risking damage to the range surface).

Dutch oven cooking is an acquired skill (on top of the general cast iron learning curve), but I've had no problems so far. I have mostly used it to make chicken or beef stew when camping.

Once you get hooked on dutch ovens, then you start wanting accessories. I use a charcoal chimney to start the coals, a pair of metal tongs to move the coals around, and a metal oil drain pan to contain the coals. I've just ordered a Lodge lid lifter, lid rack, and leather gloves to make the whole process a bit easier and safer.

I'm also already thinking of my next dutch oven. It will be the "deep" 8 quart. The 4 quart being reviewed here is 10" diameter at the lid and 3-1/2" deep. The "deep" 8 quart is 12" at the lid and 5" deep. (The standard depth 12" oven is 6 quarts, the standard depth 8 quart is 14" diameter). For soup or stew I like to leave some space below the rim so I probably only get 3 quarts in the 4 quart model, while the deeper 8 quart model would allow a greater percentage of the volume to be used. I imagine for bisquits or other baked goods the standard depth is probably fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 12:23 PM PDT

Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Iron Griddle
Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Iron Griddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in ..., January 26, 2006
Lodge is the leader in cast-iron cookware. Made in USA for more than 100 years, it's heavy, reliable, great stuff. Cast iron takes a little effort. You have a relationship with it, unlike teflon type pans. You learn to work with it and it will reward you with incredible performance.

I've had the non-preseasoned version of this griddle for about ten years. At first I was disappointed in the performance but over time it got better and better. Nothing sticks to it now. Cleanup is easy with just a quick wipe needed. The cast iron is so good at spreading the heat out that it has very even temperature.

Pre-seasoned is a bit of a misnomer. The "seasoning" process is never complete- Lodge Logic has simply jump started the process. It does get better and better. At first maybe only use it with an oil or with fatty foods. As time goes by the need for added oil goes down. I can make pancakes or french toast with no oil or butter. I generally give it a light spray of cooking spray though.

My only complaints are that with the grease gutter the total cooking area is somewhat small, plus pancakes will flow into the gutter if you aren't careful. I never use the grill side but from experience with my Lodge grill pan I'm sure it would do a great job.

I'm sure that this griddle will just keep getting better and better as the years go by. I can't say that for coated nonstick cookware- that seems to have a life of about five years in my family.

Note that your burner spacing is important. This size has a cooking area (not including the grease gutter or handles) of 16-3/4" x 7-3/4". The overall size is about 21" x 9". It fits the stove in my camper and my Weber Gas Go-Anywhere Grill perfectly. It does not fit my stove at home or my Coleman propane stove because those burners are spaced 11" apart. For those stoves I am considering getting the larger Lodge griddle where the handles are inset. All the Lodge products are listed on the "lodgemfg" homepage. Since cast iron is heavy, shipping can be expensive so be sure you get free SuperSaver shipping.

Weber 1520 Propane Gas Go-Anywhere Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Weber 1520 Propane Gas Go-Anywhere Grill (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not much to add other than my 5 stars., January 26, 2006
I don't have much to add other than my concurrance that this is a great grill. I've had it four years and in that time my wife has twice asked if I want a full sized gas grill for home use- the answer is no. This is perfect for our family. As mentioned by others I throw some smoke wood flakes on the metal heat diffuser and it makes for good flavor.

Heat isn't perfectly even. The side away from the gas valve is hotter than the other. At first this bothered me but it turned into a feature. With something like a salmon fillet or tri-tip roast the more narrow end of meat goes to the cooler side. For more even cuts of meat I just reverse them when turning and they come out fine.

This isn't a super high temp grill. Some folks complain that it doesn't give steaks a good sear.

With the 1 pound propane cans I always seem to run out halfway through the 45 minutes it takes to cook a tri-tip roast, so I now use a 20 pound tank on my trailer and an adapter hose. Also as the 1 pound cans approach being empty- especially in cool weater- the heat output drops off.

I haven't had trouble with rust but then I never clean the inside either.

For breakfast while camping I cook pancakes and bacon by removing the heat diffuser and then putting my Lodge cast iron griddle on top of the grill.

No Title Available