Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Joseph Nicolay > Reviews

Browse

Joseph Nicolay's Profile

Customer Reviews: 30

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph Nicolay RSS Feed (Spokane, WA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
O1 Tool Steel Sheet, Precision Ground, Annealed, 3/16" Thickness, 2" Width, 18" Length
Price: $32.91

5.0 out of 5 stars I made a great knife with this steel, January 19, 2016
I made a great knife with this steel. It didn't warp during heat treatment when quenched in 130 deg F oil. Nice steel.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Flat Seat, Black with SSS logo sticker
Flat Seat, Black with SSS logo sticker
Offered by Swing Set Stuff Inc.
Price: $50.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but Slippery, June 5, 2015
The swing is that hollow plastic commonly used in outdoor kid toys, like that used for Little Tikes playsets. It's ribbed on the bottom for rigidity, and has two metal flat bars where the hangers fasten on the bottom. The hangers are fat. I had a hard time finding carabiners or removable links that had openings big enough to accommodate the diameter. The plastic surface has little rough dimples on it to keep people from sliding off, but like someone mentioned before, the seat is very slick, and younger children will have a hard time staying on it. For an adult, it's quite comfortable and sturdy, but may be too narrow for medium-large people. If it wasn't so slick I would call it five stars. My kids do best with those strap-type swings that hug their bottom and keep them from slipping out, but those tend to put a lot of pressure on heavy adult hips. I would buy this again, vs. trying to fabricate one out of wood. Hardware, quality wood, and waterproofing agent would likely come close to the same cost.

Swing Kingdom Stainless Steel Swing Hook
Swing Kingdom Stainless Steel Swing Hook
Offered by Swing Kingdom
Price: $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, May 13, 2015
This is the real deal. I was looking for a swing hanger that can handle the weight of an adult or two plus the extra Gs caused by swinging. Unfortunately, The heavy duty hangers sold far and wide online are all cast "iron" from what I can see. They (the other bolts) don't hold as near as much weight as steel, at only 350 lbs per hanger. Consider this: an aluminum heat treated carabiner can hold on average 4,400 lbs along its major axis, and a half inch steel carabiner can hold over 8,000 lbs closed. Cast iron just doesn't cut it. If you're a 200 lb person and you want to build a 40 foot tall swing, and swing in a 180 degree arc like we did in elementary school, then this is the hanger you need. The bolt bridging the two sides and carrying the weight is a "S30400 THE" bolt. So, its a 18-8 stainless Tong Hwei Enterprises (Taiwan). Its supposed to have a good trade off between corrosion resistance and strength. 18-8 is hardly magnetic, so I tested the whole hanger with a magnet, and it was all barely magnetic, unlike iron and other forms of steel.

The hanger comes with 3" lag screws and washers (not to be confused with carriage bolts). I may swap these out for carriage bots for extra holding power, but lag bolts should be just fine. The mounting holes are just larger than 3/8", but less that 1/2". The is very good deal vs. the others online.

Royal Blue High Quality Pashmina Shawl Seconds Scarf Wrap Stole Throw
Royal Blue High Quality Pashmina Shawl Seconds Scarf Wrap Stole Throw

5.0 out of 5 stars It's actually very beautiful., April 29, 2015
My wife loves this. I got it for her for Christmas, with low expectations of the quality, but it was a hit. It's actually very beautiful.

Zircon 63931 Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector Batteries Included, 3-Pack
Zircon 63931 Leak Alert Electronic Water Detector Batteries Included, 3-Pack
Offered by SJS Commercial
Price: $53.75

5.0 out of 5 stars So I've had these for maybe three years now, ..., April 29, 2015
So I've had these for maybe three years now, and they work. I forgot about them until I heard one beeping next to my water heater a few months back. Had to change out the batteries once already.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, April 29, 2015
One of my top five favorite books, second place behind Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

Milwaukee MW102 PH and Temperature Meter
Milwaukee MW102 PH and Temperature Meter
Price: $109.20
11 used & new from $88.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, April 29, 2015
Works great -like it should. I stored the probe in the neutral solution and had no issues using it the second year. The interesting thing is that I didn't recalibrate it the second time, and it read correctly in the calibration solutions as if the first calibration was still saved to memory AND the probe chemistry didn't change in the neutral storage solution. All bets are off next year.

Ikea Stralande rotary grater, white
Ikea Stralande rotary grater, white
Offered by Breeze Style
Price: $19.28
3 used & new from $19.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, April 29, 2015
I read reviews on rotary graters like I was buying a car. I settled on this one, and have been extremely pleased. Good design -plastic yes, but flimsy no. I've used it for medium soft cheddars and hard cheeses with no issues. It's such a tidy design. Much better than a rasp design, and clean up is easy.

Black+Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt
Black+Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt
Price: $67.99
50 used & new from $54.05

5.0 out of 5 stars ... used this vacuum for 5 months now and it's great. I thought a handheld wouldn't be necessary since ..., April 29, 2015
I've used this vacuum for 5 months now and it's great. I thought a handheld wouldn't be necessary since I own a shopvac and a house vac. I was wrong. I brought this along on a road trip with two small children in the back seat and it's great for crumbs. I've used it to vacuum crumbs mostly, but caught a few house flies too. I can't manage to catch a hornet with it yet without cheating. Something about their body design or good eyesight makes it difficult. Oh well, got all summer to work on that. It folds up nicely and comes apart with ease for cleaning. Bottom line, this vac works great.

Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black)
Orion 04110 Star Target Planisphere (Black)
Price: $13.77
3 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Too Simple, Not Overly Complex, April 29, 2015
This star chart is easier to read under a red light! Every symbol is quite visible regardless of the color under white light. I can only assume it was designed with that in mind.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3