Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for M. O'Gara > Reviews

Browse

M. O'Gara's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. O'Gara RSS Feed

Motown For Kids
Motown For Kids
10 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, unlistenable disc., June 1, 2009
This review is from: Motown For Kids (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic collection of Motown tunes, and contains many of my daughter's favourites. However, it's let down by one of the poorest mastering jobs I've heard in recent years. Each subsequent Motown re-issue has seen fit to push the volume a little further, and now it's at the point where the songs are a mess. Gavin Lurssen, world renowned sound engineer, I'm talking to you. My stereo still has a volume control, and I am perfectly capable of turning it up myself. For anyone interested in these songs, I recommend seeking out any Motown re-issue from pre-2002, specifically the 3cd compilation "Tamla Motown Gold - The Sound of Young America" (which contains at least half of them).

To Universal Music, Gavin Lurssen, and his ilk - this madness must cease. Mastering is an art, not a volume war. The legacy of Motown is being destroyed by substandard engineering, and it's shocking to behold.

Matter (A Culture Novel Book 8)
Matter (A Culture Novel Book 8)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring., April 9, 2009
I agree with many of the other reviewers who have noted that Banks could do with some editing. Although I have been reading his novels (both mainstream and sci-fi) since the early 90's, Matter is probably the weakest of his sci-fi works. The much referred to "complexity" of the plot stems from its overpopulation with unnecessary characters, and the endless pages describing the journeys of these unsympathetic individuals bored me senseless. Why should I care? Banks obviously doesn't.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2012 8:56 AM PST