Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for J. Lane > Reviews

Browse

J. Lane's Profile

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Lane "Dash2481" RSS Feed (Salt Lake City, UT)

iKross Car Headrest Mount Holder with 360 Degrees Rotation for 7-10.2-Inch Tablets - Black
Offered by BlueMall
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mount, April 6, 2016
Works exactly as advertised. Easy to set up and solid as a rock. I would prefer to spend a few extra dollars for higher quality plastic or metal clamps, but these work great.

PowerBot® PB1022 Qi Wireless Charger Charging Pad Inductive Charging Station for All Qi Standard Compatible Devices Including Qi Enabled Samsung, iPhone, Nokia, Google, Nexus, LG, HTC and Other Smartphones with Receivers (2 x Micro USB Cable Included) 2014 Q3 Model (Black on Black)

iPhone 6S Plus Case iPhone 6 Plus Case, SHIELDON Genuine Leather Wallet Case Folio Flip Book Design w/ Stand Feature & Credit Card Slots, Magnetic Closure for iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6S Plus, Black
Offered by Shieldon
Price: $55.99
8 used & new from $23.09

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Wallet Case, February 19, 2016
I've had multiple wallet cases for multiple phones. It's not perfect, but this one is by far my favorite. Other cases are hard to keep open when you're talking, but this one just works. I've had $70 hand-made, leather cases, and this one trumps them all.

PROS:
This is a great case. Feels nice. The leather is soft and smooth. The magnetic closure is extremely helpful for keeping the case open while you're talking on the phone. You don't realize how much you've been missing with wallet cases until you have this feature. Really, it's kind of life-changing. I don't have to hold my phone in an awkward claw-like grip to keep it from sliding around. I just hold it like a normal phone. Fantastic!

CONS:
The plastic phone-holding portion of the case was a little skewed compared to the wallet portion. Not a big deal, but it does show a small lack in quality control. (It's the only thing that keeps this from being 5 stars. I would pick 4.5 if I could). The magnetic closure doesn't keep the case closed if you have any cards in the wallet, which is kind of the point of a wallet case. This is not a big issue, since the magnet works very well for keeping the case open, which is something that I didn't even realize how much I needed.

Buy this if you want a good-looking case for a great price.

Tile Generation 2 Phone Finder, Key Finder, Item Finder - 4 Pack
Tile Generation 2 Phone Finder, Key Finder, Item Finder - 4 Pack
Price: Click here to see our price
18 used & new from $59.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrible customer service, hope you don't get a dud., January 13, 2016
UPDATE: Finally a working Tile. The company expedited shipping on a new Gen2 tile, finally. It seems to work great now. Just know that quality control is seriously lacking, so if you get a dud, try to return it for a replacement. If you do need to replace it, I would suggest finding a phone number to call rather than try to work out getting a replacement by email. All in all, I am happy with the product. This latest one we received works flawlessly. I'll keep updating this as I use it more. For the time, purchase with caution.

--------------------

Bought a 4 pack. One didn't work after 3 days of being connected to a phone. Contacted Tile customer service, after two days of emails they agreed to send me a replacement. I purchased a Gen2 but The replacement they sent was a Gen 1 in a completely unpadded envelope, and the Tile was in terrible shape. Not sure if it was used or not. Needless to say, their customer service could use some serious help. I know I'm paying a big markup on a cheap plastic device so they can pay for their web service, but I do expect them to not skimp out and try to send an old device as a replacement for my 3 days used device.

Would not recommend since 40% of the devices I've used do not live up to the description of the device I paid for.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2016 10:05 AM PST

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1)
The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, Book 1)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Push through the beginning, then hang on for an amazing ride!, November 20, 2014
Push through the slow beginning, it is more than worth it. Everything really starts coming together around 100 pages in. After that, hang on, because you are in for an amazing ride. The ending of this book is perfect and you won't be able to get your hands on "Words of Radiance" fast enough.

Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack Book 1)
Hello, Nebulon! (Galaxy Zack Book 1)
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a fun series!, May 12, 2014
My seven year old and four year old both love Galaxy Zack. The stories are fun and engaging with great morals. Ray O'Ryan does a great job of making Nebulon an interesting place with its own culture and fun technology that young children will think is super grape!

There are illustrations on every page and the vocabulary is simple enough for young readers, but don't mistake this for a dumb kids story. The books are well-written and so fun to read. And best of all, they won't make adults want to pluck their eyes out, as children's chapter books often do.

This book is a great start to a series that your children will definitely want to keep reading. I'd recommend buying the boxed set of the first four. You'll save a bit of money, because I guarantee you will be buying the whole set of these books.

Panasonic Best in Class Over-the-Ear Stereo Headphones RP-HT227 (Black & Silver) Integrated Volume Controller, Travel-Fold Design, iPhone, Android Compatible
Offered by FireBall
Price: $15.59
40 used & new from $13.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Road Trips, May 9, 2013
Bought two pairs of these for my two young boys. They folded up nicely for storage in the car while they weren't using them. The great part was that they didn't have to fight about the volume level because of the built in volume selector.

Theo Klein Bosch Toy Jackhammer
Theo Klein Bosch Toy Jackhammer
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $21.75
16 used & new from $19.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy for tool-loving kids, May 9, 2013
We picked this up for my 3 year old who would rather watch "This Old House" than any cartoon. He uses it all the time and after more than a month of use, it's still going strong.

Nu-Screen HD Screen Polish
Nu-Screen HD Screen Polish

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, for the most part, April 2, 2013
The product works as advertised on new screens, but while it does repel oil and fingerprints from older, well-used screens, it does not bring back the "slippery" surface. The tube is almost exactly the size of slightly flattened a tube of chapstick, but a little seems to go a long way. Still seems a little pricey for the size.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 10, and I also have two young boys who like to play games and watch movies on both, so they end up with a lot of fingerprints. I applied a single coat to my Nexus 10 tablet and I immediately saw the difference. It is almost impossible to get fingerprints on the screen. Because it was brand new, the screen was already slippery smooth and the Nu-screen HD doesn't seem to have affected that at all.

My Galaxy Nexus, on the other hand, is heavily-used and has spent nine long months in my pocket without a screen protector. Because of that, the screen had lost that slippery feel. After applying three coats over the course of a week, and testing the surface after each coat, the screen might be ever-so-slightly slicker than before, but definitely not the brand new "slippery" I was hoping for. That's the reason for the four stars. The real miracle is how well it now repels fingerprints and streaks, though still not as well as my new Nexus 10.

Overall a decent product. I would definitely recommend it for someone with a new device. It makes the tablet experience so much nicer not having to wipe the screen off all the time. Just don't expect it to resurrect a well-used screen. I plan to add a few more coats to see if that helps, but I'm not holding my breath.

Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL)
Canon Rebel XSi DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (OLD MODEL)
49 used & new from $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, amazing battery life, now the perfect price!, April 22, 2008
I have had the XSi for about 3 months now and I am thouroughly impressed with it. This is my first DSLR and I was a little wary about going with a brand-new and untested camera, but I have always like Canon (I used an ELAN II in High School and I bought a SD600 about 2 years ago to take snapshots of my son). Overall, I have not been disappointed with the quality of the photos that the XSi produces. The IS lens works great and I have taken some pretty amazing photos (for me at least). I do have just a couple of issues, both good and bad, that I think those who are looking at buying this may want to know.

Battery life -- Great battery life. I should say, AMAZING battery life. I have taken over 5000 photos and I have only had to charge the battery twice.

Live View -- LiveView is not for beginners. It is not a replacement for your Point-and-Shoot. You can't use it in the AUTO mode (Green Square). This isn't that big of a deal for me, I prefer full manual myself, but the whole point of this feature, I thought, was to make it more user friendly for the Point-and-Shoot photographer. My wife can't use Live View in it's current form (I specifically bought a DSLR with a live view function so she could still use the camera). So, if Live View is a big selling point for you, You may want to look at some others (If it isn't that big of a deal to you, then this is still an amazing camera -- added 4-23-2008). If you do studio work, though, you can hook the camera up to your PC and use it as a remote viewer. But it is not a point-and-shoot camera in Live View. In my earlier review, I said that it would be nice if Canon fixed some of the Live View issues with a firmware update, I was mistaken. Live View is a nice feature once you figure out it is not meant for beginners. Studio and landscape photographers will find Live View a great tool.

Image Quality -- I have had some great success shooting in a studio setting as well as some great outdoor shots. In the studio, I used tungsten "hot" lights with the subjuect against a white background. The photos turned out great. Skin tones are perfect and there is very little, if any, chromatic abberation at the edges. It shoots great outdoor shots as well. We just got into beekeeping and I was able to get some AMAZING shots of our bees up-close outdoors. The bees looked dirty and not very interesting from a distance, but the macro photos I got up close are beautiful and full of wonderfully crisp details. The lens is a little short, the image quality you get from it is pretty good considering it only costs $100. I do plan on buying a longer lens in the near future.

Overall, the camera is solid and feels nice in the hand. It isn't too heavy, yet still feels sturdy. If you can afford the higher price, I don't think you will be disappointed. If you can't, the XTi is still a great camera. And if you can afford to wait a few months for the price to drop a little (LIKE IT ALREADY HAS!!) I would. I was able to work a few extra weekends so I could afford to get this, and I can tell you, I don't mind it a bit, because the quality of photos I am getting has been totally worth it.

--- Update ---
I was incorrect when I said you couldn't use the 9-Point autofocus in Live View. You can use the 9-point autofocus while in Live View, but the mirror flips down and focuses so you can't see what you are trying to focus on until after the camera has actually gone through the autofocus process.

--- Update #2 ---
I have now had this camera for almost two months and I am happy to report that the more I use it, the more I love it. Once you learn the layout of the camera and you load the MyMenu with the tools you use most often, the camera becomes an absolute delight to use. I have taken over 5000 photos with it so far and now I need an extra hard drive to put them all on.

I was able to rent a Canon EF 24-105 IS L lens and a 580 EX II Speedlite for my sister's wedding. WOW! What great photos. The camera interfaced with the flash flawlessly and I am more convinced than ever that much of the quality of your photos comes from the glass you use and not as much from the camera itself (I think it is about 65% lens to 35% camera body give or take a few points-- I know there will be those who disagree, but that is my take on it, and I am sure if I had a 1Ds MkIII I would think that there wasn't a peice of glass good enough for my camera).

This is a great beginner dSLR and a great camera all around. I am very happy with my purchase and I have had no regrets whatsoever about spending the $900 to buy such a great tool. Amazon now sells it for $799, you can't go wrong at that price!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2010 12:47 PM PDT