Profile for DW99 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DW99 RSS Feed

HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done
HBR Guide to Getting the Right Work Done

1.0 out of 5 stars Only OK, May 28, 2014
The formatting on the Kindle addition of this book is terrible. Some pages have numerous different fonts of varying sizes on the same page. Honestly, it looks like someone just threw this together over a weekend. Besides the formatting, there isn't much here. It's a bunch of blog posts collected and sold as a book. The posts are short, and the book itself is very short. When I opened the book on Kindle Cloud Reader, with an average sized font, I counted only 78 pages of text, many of which were only partial pages. Save your money.

OTBT Women's Santa Cruz Slingback Sandal,Brown Sugar,9 M US
OTBT Women's Santa Cruz Slingback Sandal,Brown Sugar,9 M US

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice fit, but the soles could be more durable, December 29, 2013
These shoes are comfortable and fit my size 9 B feet perfectly. The only problem is the bottoms started wearing away the first day I wore them. I've had to put heel taps on them, which I hope will extend their life. I work in a school and spend a lot of time walking on cement sidewalks. They'd be better for someone who walks around a carpeted office all day.

The Christmas Cuckoo
The Christmas Cuckoo

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, December 29, 2013
I enjoyed The Christmas Cuckoo. It's quite short and the story moves along quickly. As a result, the characters aren't as developed as they would be in a long novel. However, it's still a nice read, especially if you don't have a lot of time on your hands. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to get in the Christmas spirit.

The Art and Adventure of Traveling Cheaply
The Art and Adventure of Traveling Cheaply
by Rick Berg
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my Life, November 30, 2012
I bought a copy of this years ago, when I was a teenager. I can honestly say it is the one book I have read that changed my life. I had always wanted to travel, but I couldn't figure out how it could be done with little money and during the two weeks annual leave Americans typically get when they work full time. This book taught me that I didn't need a lot of money, and that traveling could be a lifestyle. A couple years after reading it, I bought a ticket to India and spent three months there. When I finished college a couple years later, I started an around the world trip that, in a sense, never ended: I currently live overseas.

Thank you, Rick Berg, for this book. It taught me the skills and the attitude I needed to make my dreams a reality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2012 9:41 AM PST

Authentic Japanese Cuisine for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Guide
Authentic Japanese Cuisine for Beginners: A Step-by-Step Guide
by Sabi Shinojima
31 used & new from $2.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, Not Great, August 8, 2008
First, I love Japanese food and probably have around ten Japanese cookbooks. There are two major problems with this particular cookbook. First, the pages started falling out the first time I used it. The publisher did not do a good job with the binding. Second, the recipes just aren't very good and use a lot of ingredients that are hard to find even if you live near a Japanese grocery store, which I do. Ingredients such as nuka (rice bran), udo (a kind of vegetable), taro root, konnyaku (devil's tongue jelly), gobo (burdock root), and mitsuba leaves are often difficult to find. As for the recipes themselves, they just aren't very tasty. I do love her thick omelet recipe, but you can find similar recipes in other cookbooks. The photos and directions are the one strength this book has: they are clear and well-done.

For a better cookbook check out Naomi Kijima's Bento Boxes. Most of Naomi's recipes are for single servings, but can easily be doubled or tripled or whatever.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2009 2:30 PM PDT