Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Top5DOA > Reviews

Browse

Top5DOA's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Top5DOA "Whatever It Takes" RSS Feed (Indianapolis, IN)

The Renaissance
The Renaissance
Price: $7.39
106 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Be Nominated For Rap Album of the Year!!!!!!!!, December 11, 2008
This review is from: The Renaissance (Audio CD)
This is absolutely one of the best albums of the year and should be recognized as such by Hip Hop and award shows. The album rides all the way through except for Track 2, which i generally skip cuz i'm just not feelin the groove. Aside from that, it is unskippable...it's now my default cd when i don't know what to listen to in the ride.

This album should be enjoyed by all fans of music...it shouldn't be pigeonholed for hip hop fans only!!!

Vol. 3 - Life And Times Of S. Carter
Vol. 3 - Life And Times Of S. Carter
Price: $5.99
128 used & new from $0.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Word Up...Ya is trippin for the low ratings!!!, June 5, 2008
"Go against Jigga yo a__ is dense, I'mma bout a dolla what the f___k is 50 cents"

"Hova's like Noah keep two in the truck/I'm like U-Haul/ every b___h movin i f___k"

"38 revolve like the sun round the earth/ try to play hard get you found round the dirt/ 6 shell casings found round ya shirt/ and surround sound from the hurst"

Come on dawg...nuff said. Jay is spittin so hard on these tracks and ya trippin like he aint got flow. As far as goin hard on an album, this might be tops. Not his best cd (Reasonable Doubt), but if ya wanna recognize lyrics then this is it. He also came hard (no homo) on American Gangster.

Please sit down and listen to the flow again if u had any doubts the first time!!!

Here I Stand
Here I Stand
Offered by Media Medley
Price: $8.98
129 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars You gotta give it a second chance!!!, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Here I Stand (Audio CD)
His CD can best be compared to a Napoleon Dynamite or Anchorman, you must listen to it a second time to really appreciate it. I'm going to be honest, the first time I listened to it I was like this is a 2.5 at best. Half way through the cd, I'm thinking to myself "are you serious" and then the second half came and he redeemed himself. So the first listen it was a tale of two halves, then I listened to it again all the way through rating each song and i would say my thoughts on the cd jumped a star to 3.5. It takes awhile to get used to Usher in a true R&B role rather than his usual hybrid R&B/Pop style.

Standouts (In my opinion):
What's Your Name
Before I Met You (Favorite)
Lifetime

Good Songs (ditto):
Love You Gently
Best Thing
His Mistakes
Here I Stand (kinda sounds like a track by Musiq)

All in all, like everybody has said...Grown up ish...not for high schoolers or college aged kids really. Still a good listen though, just be patient and let it soak in!!!

Clin D'Oeil
Clin D'Oeil
4 used & new from $94.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Music you listen to in the dark!!!, May 28, 2008
This review is from: Clin D'Oeil (Audio CD)
After seeing this album under a best album of the year list somewhere here on amazon, I figured I'd check it out to see what all the buzz was about. For some reason I couldn't check it out on Amazon, so I googled it and found 1 minute samples of every track and it was all she wrote at that point. EVERY SINGLE TRACK is a good listen, though I do find myself skipping the first at times due to the first track having a slow jazzy mood in the beginning with no lyrics (i actually like the last half of the track more).
And as far as the sound being too consistent and classroom like, I couldn't disagree more. True, it has a mellow groove to it and artists that compliment that groove to perfection, but it doesn't get redundant due to the track layouts. They also switch the beat towards the end of dang near every track, while the artist tells how they were influenced by the fusion of jazz and hip hop, which only adds to the value. Sort of like the beginning in the movie Brown Sugar, but with jazz instead of hip hop.
Without a doubt one of the best CDs I have.

My favorites: