Profile for PiratePrentice > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

PiratePrentice RSS Feed (San Fran)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Solrx 40 SPF Dry Zinc Sunscreen (1/4 -Ounce)
Solrx 40 SPF Dry Zinc Sunscreen (1/4 -Ounce)

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughably small amount of sunscreen, October 27, 2014
Not sure what is up with this company's offerings - they used to make a generous tube of this same stuff for 20 dollars now they just have this tiny container that has maybe 4-5 applications for 12 dollars. I like the product, but the size of this container is RIDICULOUS and it's the only container I can find to buy

DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams 13-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen
Price: $713.76
2 used & new from $699.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, August 5, 2014
I have always slept on a spring mattress, and the last one was getting pretty old. I did my research and decided to go with this mattress as the foam density was high quality and the price was right. It felt like a major risk buying a mattress online however, especially when I had never demoed it, and had no experience with memory foam mattresses. Still, my fiancé and I are not that picky and if it worked for most people it would work for us.

Mattress was rolled up and unpacked easily. It had an odor but it was borderline pleasant. I was expecting a chemical-petroleum gas smell but it was actually kind of nice - smelled like new mattress! Odor was nearly gone after 2 weeks.

Here's the thing - this mattress is SOFT. I was shocked as I had laid on some memory foam mattresses at Sleep Train and this was much softer than any I had ever felt. It's PLUSH, and if you sit on the edge you need to stabilize yourself or you will fall off. The softness immediately worried me, as all my spring mattresses, when they became old and soft, hurt my back. However, as soft as this mattress is, my back never hurts when I wake up, so the foam simply has a different quality than a spring mattress. The softness is also a benefit to my joints; I have a bad right shoulder and haven't been a right-side sleeper in years, but I can now sleep gingerly on my right side which is great.

I sleep very well on this mattress - it does feel like sinking into the earth, in a good way. I might prefer a little more firmness, but it's still great.

Again, it's my first memory foam mattress and like all of them, on a hot night it is a heat trap. I run hot as it is and on these nights I have a fan blowing on me and sleep with sheets only. Fortunately I live in a medium climate, but if I were living in Arizona or Hawaii I would think twice about memory foam. If that's not a big issue and you don't mind a very soft mattress I highly recommend it.

ECCO Men's Soft Loafer
ECCO Men's Soft Loafer
Price: $79.97 - $140.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too big and kinda ugly, June 18, 2014
This review is from: ECCO Men's Soft Loafer (Shoes)
These showed up WAY too big -- I normally wear Ecco 45 and these were 45s and 2 sizes too big, which makes me question Quality Control at Ecco these days. Also, they are kind of rough looking, not very sleek. Time to find a new shoe maker

ZippyPaws Burrow Squeaky Hide and Seek Plush Dog Toy, Hedgehog Den
ZippyPaws Burrow Squeaky Hide and Seek Plush Dog Toy, Hedgehog Den
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun design with atrocious durability, May 22, 2014
Pros: My little mutt loved it, enjoyed extracting the hedgehogs and chewing them to bits
Cons: Within 30 minutes all the hedgehogs were shredded, innards strewn out over the living room, plastic squeakers dismembered

Sorry Zippypaws, time to suck it up and buy some stronger fabric for your toys. My little guys is a chewer, and I don't expect these things to last more than a few days, but less than an hour is ridiculous.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Indigo)
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Indigo)
Price: $34.99
23 used & new from $30.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought my last Sansa clip, April 10, 2014
I've bought 5 of these over the past 6-7 years. My first one lasted over 2 years and that made a favorable impression. Since then, each one has died. My latest one was today with a clip that is about 1 year old but has only been used for 6 months. Walking along with it in my pocket, it goes down and never comes back. Same thing happened to 2 other clips in the past 2 years. I kept buying because they are cheap and easy on Amazon, and I kept hoping I had a string of lemons. Nope, the quality sucks and seems to have been deteriorating. Never again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 11:35 AM PDT

Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga
by Benjamin Lorr
Price: $11.36
70 used & new from $3.97

3.0 out of 5 stars A strange combination of themes and ideas, March 27, 2014
Some people will buy this book for it's investigation of "competitive yoga", and to be fair that's one of it's listed themes. I wanted to read it for the scoop on Bikram. I've been practicing "non competitive" regular vinyasa yoga for years but also have got on Bikram kicks because I like the heat. However, I never cared for the dogmatic teaching and the idiotic phrasing that is on repeat in every class everywhere "Bengal Tiger Strength", "Japanese hand sandwich", et al. Nor am I enamored by the sequence itself as it is just a collection of Hatha Yoga postures that nobody 'owns'. So I was, frankly, already a bit of a bikram basher before I picked up the book so please keep that in mind here -- still, I was interested in getting behind the curtain at the training (and I am sure as hell never going to spend 15K and two months in a hotel for a teacher training of my own).

The sections that had to do with Bikram and teacher training were interesting. The problem was I had to wade through chapters of ancillary prose with author speculating on ideas and opinions I had no interest in. Yes, I know that cult leaders have above average charisma and are also childish - I don't need whole chapters on these ideas, especially when they read like obvious filler. I also was put off by Benjamin Lorrs writing style. I saw one quoted review comparing him to Hunter S. Thompson. Sorry, he's not even in the same universe. To me Lorr reads like someone trying way too hard to be clever and cute with his ideas and phrase-ology. Please just get the story down effectively before you try to go rogue with avant garde sentences. Please be clear and concise before you fall in love with your own writing style.

The real bummer is that the story of Bikram teacher training is really fascinating and Lorr had front row and yet spent only maybe 1/3 the book discussing it. No mention of the current charges against Bikram for sexual misconduct are discussed either. He did have some great quotes from his hilarious eastern bloc roommate (who I wish had more input, the guy absolutely killed it with his cameos). Lorr also does a good job examining the mentality of the many damaged people who sign up for Bikram training, and the addiction many seem to have to alternately being abused by and/or validated by "the guru". Bikrams incredibly offensive, sexually laden dialog during his teacher training is discussed in length, as is his awful treatment of his oldest disciples and many students. If you didn't like Bikram before, you aren't going to like him any more after, though Lorr does fairly intersperse some very compassionate images of Bikram as a younger teacher, and the story of his beginnings are interesting. However, the final conclusion is that Bikram has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and has no conscience, and indeed probably never had one. Won't be a real big surprise if you have been keeping up with current events but nonetheless it is a fascinating character study.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2014 1:56 AM PDT

First Aid Kits for Home, Vehicle/Car, Camper and Work. Basic Kit Includes the Essential Products for Emergencies Large and Small. Supplies Stored in Easy-to-access Bags. Check Out Complete First Aid Content List. We Guarantee Your Satisfaction.
Offered by Cheap Seeds
Price: $29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Buying this was a mistake, December 18, 2013
I went for it buying this for a trip to Mexico. I figured it had good (if only a few) reviews and cost MORE so it should have everything I would need for a surf adventure. This kit is weak! Not sure who put it together but it definitely was not a medic.

-Scissors do not cut, anything, not even Gauze
-Rolls of tape are minuscule and tape does not adhere
-Not nearly enough disinfecting items
-Not enough gauze
-Bandages are cheap too and do not adhere!

I Do not feel safe travelling with this kit. Once you actually get hurt, like my girlfriend did, and you open it up you realize it was cheaply put together and not well thought out. I am suspicious of the 5 star reviews

Fitness Technologies UWaterG2 Waterproof MP3 Player Colors
Fitness Technologies UWaterG2 Waterproof MP3 Player Colors

1.0 out of 5 stars Very frustrating, February 3, 2012
Got these to use when kiteboarding. Finally tried them last month. Was annoyed that the music did not loop by default (come on guys, were doing water sports with the thing, we don't always have time to restart the playlist! You would like to think people making sportsgear would have a sense of how we operate). Worse though, after a 1hr session on the water, the volume got by by 75%. When I came in and restarted the playlist it was no longer audible. 2 days later it magically fixed itself. I haven't retried it since. Just seemed like a hassle. The sound was pretty bad so it'll probably just sit in my apartment now,

Sony MDR-ED12LP Budstyle Headphones (Blue)
Sony MDR-ED12LP Budstyle Headphones (Blue)
Offered by Lots Deals 4 U
Price: $69.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, surprised there are good reviews for these, February 3, 2012
Sounds quality is not as good as advertised and after 2 listening sessions I began getting static from the inner wire breaking down. Maybe I got a bad bunch, but these were not money well spent.

A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
by Stephen Mitchell
Price: $11.13
115 used & new from $2.19

4.0 out of 5 stars She's Gone WAAAY Out There, May 28, 2008
I don't aspire to be Byron Katie, and I don't agree with everything she says, but there is no doubt in my mind she is someone who has had some fundamental kind of spontaneous spiritual transformation and has a groundbreaking message. Where her first two books refined her philosphy of inquiry, she just goes off the map in this one. No matter what's happening - she's going blind, then she's almost losing a grandchild in the hospital - she's not just accepting these things - she's ecstatic! It's a little much at times. It's not quite what I want for myself, yet I take an immense amount from her philosophies and experiences. She's clearly transcended her mind (some might argue she's transcended her humanity along with it), but that's not what interests me. What interests me is the peace she's been able to find with her emphasis on all the world simply being a projection of one's mind. Of course, this is not a new idea, but I've never seen any spiritual teacher - be they buddhist or hindu or christian - extrapolate this truth to the extreme extent that this 60 year mother old woman from, of all places, BARSTOW California does. She's so far gone with her belief in the projected reality and so steeped in a philosophy of the unconditional acceptance and perfection of reality as it is, that she is some kind of new age fundamentalist, if such a classification could exist.

As has been observed, BK just woke up one day and had largely transformed, so my issue comes in her apparent disregard for what may be the root of all those thoughts she advises us to question - our inner pain, or as Eckhart Tolle might call it our "painbody". Hers may have largely disappeared overnight, but for the rest of us, we are left with ours, and just questioning our thoughts won't stop new, negative ones from arising from our deeper painbodies. Sometimes I feel like her inquiry only addresses the syptoms (our negative thoughts) rather than the source of those thoughts (our inner pain that precludes those thoughts). That's not to say I haven't gained immensely from her work because I really have.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2013 10:58 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3