Profile for True disciple > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

True disciple RSS Feed (New York, ny)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chocolate bar, January 3, 2010
This is a great-tasting chocolate bar. I recommend it.
However, for those who are purely raw, it is not 100% raw. It says it on the label, 80% raw.
It's impossible to get chocolate 100% raw and this product also contains, cashews, which is known not to be raw either.
Anyway, it's still high raw, it tastes very great.
Also, though, it is pretty high in fat, at 10g of fat per bar, so it shouldn't be eaten many at a time. And that's all I pretty much have to say about this.

Horizon Fitness T101 Treadmill
Horizon Fitness T101 Treadmill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Treadmill, January 2, 2010
This treadmill is a great treadmill for the price. I highly recommend it. I was looking for a treadmill with a wide and long belt, and this one, 55 x 20, gives me a lot of space to walk and run. The treadmill has 10 buttons each for the speed and incline: 1, 2, 3...10, so you can just press the button to get to desired speed or incline, and not to have press the up or down arrow a hundred times. It also has a up and down arrow button, too, on the side so you can adjust by .1 the speed or the incline. The treadmill has a fan with 3 modes, fan 1, fan 2, and fan 3, so if you feel yourself getting hot during the walk, you can blast up the fan and it'll cool you down. The treadmill, like others, allows you to read your heart rate. And you can check calories burnt, distance, and time, like others. After you're done with it, you can fold it up. It's really good. I have no complaints with it.
For $600, it's a great buy.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2010 11:56 AM PST

Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Tr ack
by Connie Bennett
Price: $13.44
187 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars SUGAR SHOCK-Great book, March 21, 2009
Sugar Shock I would to have to say is one of the greatest books that I've read to break down my health problems.

Like many other who've written, I was a true sugar addict. I hoarded sweets: twizzlers, cookies, donuts, granola bars, cereal bars, sugary cereals. I ate it all. I was so addicted to it. I had no idea that this sugar was linked to my freqent bouts of irritability, negativity, and brain fog. This is the danger of refined sugar. Refined sugar, having no fiber or protein, goes straight to your blood stream and spikes it. Your brain, getting its form of energy from glucose in your blood, now is disrupted from doing so caused by the spike in the blood stream. Insulin then has to be released to lower the blood sugar level, and many times it becomes too low. So your brain can't function properly with the low sugar. The result-- panic, anxiety, irritability, mood swings, frustration, anger. It can make you go crazy. This is the effects of eating refined sugar.

Before I read this book, I would have never linked to it to refined sugar, but now I know that that along with wheat, pretty much white flour, stripped of all the fiber, is the cause for all these blood-sugar disruptions.

Ever since I got rid of the sugary foods and floury foods, the brain fog, the irritability, the negativity, has all gone. It's all over. For me, it lasted like three years. Now today, I'm pretty much done with refined sugar, no more soda, no more twizzlers (and I was addicted to twizzlers), no more fruit juice, jelly and all the sugary stuff. And the other bad part about refined sugar is it is so addictive. Any time I ate cookies, I had at least 8 with many times going to 15-20 cookies at one sitting. Sometimes I would just finish the whole pack at one sitting. Twizzlers, 20-25 twizzlers at once. Same with cereal, the whole box at once. Refined is so addictive.

I thank Connie Bennett so much for writing this book. This has helped me profusely. The days of irritability are over. Does this mean I don't eat sugar anymore? Of course not. Now I eat sugar in its natural form. Fruit is sweet and being that its loaded with fiber, it doesn't cause blood sugar fluctuations, assuming you eat one at a time, which is the rule for fruit eating. I eat dried fruit, which tastes just like candy, without the bad side effects. Dates, dried strawberries and other fruits are all great alternatives.

My advice to you all: eat natural sugar, what God provides, fruits and dried fruits and raw honey, stevia leaves, or dates to sweeten foods. It's when we eat the unnatural foods, stripped, processed, heated, that consequences result.

Kudos again to Connie Bennett and all who figured out this sugar shock connection.

Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Believe in Christ
by Brother Andrew
Price: $14.40
66 used & new from $0.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book life-changing, October 21, 2008
This book was great. It is about Muslims who have converted to Christianity in tough Muslim-dominating countries. This book narrates the story of each of these newly converted Christians and the struggles they face, such as family struggles, abuse from their country, threat from Muslims. The narrations were very well-written. I couldn't even put down the book the way it was suspenseful.

This book literally changed my life, really (I'm not being cheesy). As a Christian in America, there is no persecution. It's easy compared to other places. In some Muslim countries, if a person was found baptizing someone, he could spend six months in prison. It showed me how great I have it here in America where I can be baptized as I was or baptized people and I can read the bible freely without the government after me.

I will never look at evangelism the same. It is a war out there and we Christians, especially in America where we don't have a threat, should really be giving our all for Christ.

(The only problem as I have with this book, as well as most Christian books is that they think all churches are fine. I believe and know from the bible that the Church of Christ is the only true Church. Brother Alexander makes it seem like all churches, denominations, as long as they believe in Christ, are true. The truth is: there is only one church. Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism. And baptism is not symbolic. Baptism is actually where your sins are forgiven (Acts 2:38) and you're saved.
But great read!

Jesus 365: Experiencing the Four Gospels as One Single Story
Jesus 365: Experiencing the Four Gospels as One Single Story
by Johnston M. Cheney
30 used & new from $3.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, October 15, 2008
This Book Jesus 365 is awesome. I love saying the title because it makes me think of Jesus everyday, all 365 days. Every day it gives you a saying of Jesus or a passage about Jesus and it gives a title above explaining what it's about. For example, the title is given "Light of the World" and this passage is Jesus talking about how he's the light of the world.

I have been reading this along with "The Greatest Words Ever Spoken" to really read and cherish the words of Christ.

Great buy.

The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing
The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing
by Sherri Szeman
Price: $17.09
155 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars the Greatest Fiction book out, September 8, 2008
This I would have to say is the Greatest Book on Writing Fiction. This book is like the solid base you can establish. It goes through every point in writing a novel by all the professionals. This book, you'll simply learn a lot. I can't tell you how much I learned from it. And it's just so true.

The first chapter is about plot. The writer defines plot as the complications go through in steps toward a resolution. He states that plot arises from the orchestration of the protagonist with the antagonist. The better orchestrated the characters, the better the plot will develop. Actually, it will be natural since the characters are so well-pitted against each other. The more different you make the characters from each other, the better plot will flow and develop. The reason why many plots fail is because the protagonist and antagonist are too close to each other.

Other chapters are just as helpful. One writer talks about how he changed to do movies. Being that movies don't use exposition and thought, he could no longer rely on these methods. When he went back to fiction, he saw this creeping into his fiction as well. In the end, he stated how fictions, like movies, should go scene by scene, which would make it more exciting. Long exposition should be eliminated or severely limited. Also, the best devices to utilize in fiction are action, dialogue, and description, while limiting exposition and too much interior monlogue. This is sound advice.

Another great chapter is emotion. The writer in this case tells how eerything through be shown through the emotional filter, meaning we must see how the character reacts to everything in the story. If not, if the character doesn't react, it's meaningless. It's like having a stimulus in your life that doesn't affect you, it's meaningless in that case. We must see how the character reacts for it to have significance. The author then gives us advice how to show this emotional filter such as using verbs to connote emotion. For example, 'he walked out' only shows movement. 'He stomped out' shows anger.

That's about all for now. I'm tired. If you want to know more, read the book. I promise it is priceless.

Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
by Jerry Cleaver
Price: $12.54
66 used & new from $1.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest but I learned a few things, September 8, 2008
This book, at first I was going to give it a 1 star, but then as I read, I really learned some valuable things from it. Jerry Cleaver was describing why people read fiction. A fiction is really about experience, the experience of the character we write about. But he asks, don't we have enough experience of our own? Why do we need to read the experiences of other characters? The reason he gave for this was because during fiction , if written correctly, we identify so much with the character, that in essence, we become the character and are able to experience ourselves in ways we could never. Also, why people read fiction is because it allows them to go through the worlds they would never encounter.

This is why the author emphasized emotions. Emotions are key. One thing I got out of this book which helped my writing was that we always should have emotion every step of the way. We always must know why our character is feeling each step of the way, or we lose the story since we identify so much with the character. This has helped my book so much because sometimes it was flat was because I was lacking character emotion, character reaction, which is key.

So this book helped me in terms of that. Otherwise, the book was not that good. It's definitely not a stand alone book. But each of these fictions books contribute. My favorites are The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing, You Can Write a Novel, and Self-editing for fiction writers. These are going to get me on the market.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
by Renni Browne
Price: $12.04
107 used & new from $5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, great book, September 8, 2008
This book Self-editing for Fiction Writers were written by two professionals. These guys really know what they were doing. There were a lot of good points. I especially loved the chapter on Dialogue Mechanics. That was the most useful. The authors recommend using the word 'said' the majority of the time. This is done because 'said' is an invisible word. Many times author use words like 'he growled,' or propping the word like 'he said angrily' but this is not good because it dilutes the effect. The words within the quotes should show that he was growling or that he was angry. This helps your writing because it makes you show more instead of tell.

Other advice in the book was cut repetition, don't define character's personalities. For example, his father was mean. When you do this, you box in your characters and don't allow the character to show himself.
Also, the chapter on Sophistication was good since it told to cut off too many 'as' or 'ing' constructions, which can lessen the effect of writing.

Overall, you'll learn from this book. You can't go wrong buying it.

You Can Write a Novel
You Can Write a Novel
by James V. Smith
141 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book-- you'll learn a lot, valuable, September 8, 2008
This review is from: You Can Write a Novel (Paperback)
This book You Can Write a Novel by James V. Smith is excellent and so practical. For example, some of the advice in this book tells you, have your story outlined. Know your climax and your ending. James Smith goes on to compare this to taking a going on a trip and not knowing how to get to your destination. When wriitng a story, you must know your climax and your ending, then you can work on the subplots.

But that's only the beginning. This book is packed with excellent advice. One is not to use words and phrases such as 'in order to' when you can use 'to', 'for the purpose of' when you can use to, 'in the near future' when you can use 'soon' and so on. The author promotes simple language, which makes your story more readable and sound less formal. Another advice I like was to take a stand and avoid splitting hairs in images and emtoions. Instead of saying he almost exploded, you can say he seethed. If you use words like almost, approximately, appears, nearly too much, it dilutes your writing.

Well, now if you want to know more, get the book. I promise it'll be a great read. I'm just now submitting my manuscript into the market and it helped it a lot.

What Really Counts for Men: Your Guide to Discovering What's Most Important in Life and Letting Go of the Rest
by Thomas Nelson
50 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, September 21, 2007
I would like to say that this book is great. It gives a clear focus on what a Christian should fix his mind on and what matters the most in life. Each chapter introduces a new topic such as God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Faith, Love, Heaven, God's Word, the Future, Worship, The church, and so on. It gives practicals on how these affect your life and in regard to it, discusses what matters about them and what doesn't matter, meaning what you shouldn't focus on. I am a Christian who actively studies the Word and this has helped my walk tremendously. Highly recommended.