Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Profile for Nancy Mayer > Reviews

Browse

Nancy Mayer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nancy Mayer RSS Feed (san francisco)

Page: 1 | 2
KENKO Matcha Green Tea Powder [USDA Organic] Premium Ceremonial Grade - Japanese 30g Tin [1.06oz] Best Flavor + No Bitterness
Offered by Kenko Tea
Price: $50.00
2 used & new from $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Recreate Japan at home!, January 9, 2016
I took a chance and ordered this tea without trying it. I'm sold! It's is just like I remember the best Matcha that I had when I was in Japan. . .it has a good strong flavor, but it is never harsh or bitter or rough. I started drinking it to increase my antioxidents intake, but now, It is my wake up brew every morning and I look forward to its soothing strength.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2016 11:27 PM PST

Hattie
Hattie
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting inside Hattie's head. . ., July 2, 2014
This review is from: Hattie (Kindle Edition)
"Hattie" is written in a very inventive way--the structure of the story isn't linear. . .it meanders just like our inner most thoughts. That is very much in keeping with the most contemporary writers that we've been reading in our book club which concentrates on "prize winners" like the Booker Prize. I found many powerful observations in the book, but probably my favorite was on p. 264 in the section about living alone and talking to yourself: "Living alone is knowing that you open the door for yourself and there is no need to keep it open after you pass through it." and the rest of that section (paperback edition)Get I. Bowen devised a very strong, sympathetic character in "Hattie" and I'm glad that Sam came along for her. Keep writing, Ms. Bowen. .. the world needs what you have to offer.

Clicker Puppy-dvd, Kids and puppies learning together
Clicker Puppy-dvd, Kids and puppies learning together
DVD ~ Clicker Puppy
Price: $24.65
19 used & new from $3.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Tells doesn't Show!, August 25, 2013
This DVD is a complete waste of money--unless you want to know that you can use a clicker to train a puppy--but I just told you that so you don't need to waste your money. This DVD doesn't teach you how you go about using commands (hand then verbal) or when to click for a behavior! It just keeps telling you that it's possible. I learned more from youtube videos than this DVD. I don't think I've ever written a negative review before but this warrants a giant "No!" My friends have used clicker training and it works, but not from watching this DVD.

Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man
Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Family Man
by Brian McGrory
111 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud!, January 6, 2013
I rarely laugh out loud while reading a book, but this book is hilarious! Even more than that, however, it gives tremendous insight on what it is like to be a step-parent--to be a man in a woman's world--to try to be a hero, a protector to his brood. How hard men try in their own way to be invaluable. There is a vulnerability in McGory's honesty that is very sweet and there is a humor in the very male sacrifices that he makes. I loved, loved, loved this book and Brian McGory in all his humaness.

Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
Awakening Joy: 10 Steps That Will Put You on the Road to Real Happiness
by Shoshana Alexander
Price: $21.53
138 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Deepening Joy, August 22, 2010
"Awakening Joy" lives up to its title in that each chapter addresses a different facet of living a harmonious life. This is not a simple self-help book which you toss aside and say, "Ohhh, I knew that already!" It is a life-long program of deepening your awareness and cultivating joy--deep, dependable joy--over time. Each time I read a chapter, there is something new which calls to me. And, in fact, my joy has been greater as a result of the wisdom of these teachings.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Help is on the way, July 24, 2007
I break out just looking at cleansing products on a shelf! This cleanser is THE BEST. . .I've used it for 5 years and wouldn't dream of using anything else. . .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2012 9:29 AM PST

March
March
by Geraldine Brooks
Price: $10.71
710 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars HOW did this book win a Pullitzer Prize?, January 10, 2007
This review is from: March (Paperback)
I am shocked and dismayed that the Pullitzer Prize was awarded to March by Geraldine Brooks. The information about the brutality of the Civil War is impressive and there are beautifully written passages, but the storyline is like a soap opera or made-for-TV movie. Can anyone who ever read "Little Women" imagine Marmie making love on the shores of Walden Pond, before marriage, with Minister March???? And that's not all. . .I just read this for my book club and there was not one person (out of 20 and a paid leader) who could justify the award given to this book.

Otafuku: Joy of Japan
Otafuku: Joy of Japan
by Amy Sylvester Katoh
28 used & new from $2.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Inviting Joy In, October 18, 2005
This review is from: Otafuku: Joy of Japan (Hardcover)
This charming book about Otafuku, a Japan deity of good cheer, is delightful! The photographs of her, in all her little guises, warms the heart and the stories of Amy Katoh captures a tiny sweetness of Japan. If you are looking for something to spread (or find) the joy that can be noticed in small things in daily living, this is the book.

Frommer's New York City 2000
Frommer's New York City 2000
by Cheryl Farr Leas
20 used & new from $0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars What's hot and what's not--THE guide to New York City, June 6, 2000
What I love about the Frommer's Guide books is that they are opinionated--and, I generally find, I agree with their opinions. They tell you what's hot and what's not. I lived in New York City for years ('70s-80s). I return for regular visits and I find that the best things remain year after year in New York, but it is really hard to keep up with the BEST of what is NEW. So, I looked at this guide to see what it said about some of my favs and found they were the Frommer's guides favorites, too. Sometimes, our hesitations about a hotel or museum matched, also. This makes me trust their recommendations on the new restaurants, shops and 'after dark' recommendations. One of the features that I find most useful is a list of "Frommer's Favorite New York City Experiences", "Best Hotel Bets," "Best Dining Bets" and so on. These range from free (Star Gazing at Grand Central Station) to extreme (The best hotels for New Year's Eve). This book also tells you how to obtain passes to save money and/or time for transportation and museums. I have always found the phone numbers, opening/closing times, and approximate costs to be accurate. It has a good detachable map in the back and easy-to-read area maps throughout. The book has great sections on neighborhoods, so if I don't want to carry the whole thing while I'm touring, I just tear out that section. So, I'm thrilled to be off--for a jam packed week. Only one guide needed. This one. (I don't know why the ad copy says 'hardback.' The cover is a sturdy paper back).

Too Late for the Festival: An American Salary Woman in Japan
Too Late for the Festival: An American Salary Woman in Japan
by Rhiannon Paine
Price: $22.50
38 used & new from $1.06

1.0 out of 5 stars Japan is more interesting. . ., March 12, 2000
Japan is such an interesting country with an interesting culture, but you won't learn about it from this book. Try The Traveller's Tales of Japan for a fabulous sampler of all the wonderful things that have been written. This book is about Rhiannon Paine and her inability to connect with Japan. She uses nicknames for her co-workers which are derogatory and may or may not mean something to her, but they mean nothing to the reader. The people don't come alive because she never got to know them. She admits at her going away party, "Maybe I should have invited them over." She whines about her American co-workers and their petty feuds. Maybe it gets better, but life is short and I could only offer this book enough time to get half way through before tossing it.

Page: 1 | 2