Profile for B. Davis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 96

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. Davis "HakMajik" RSS Feed (Fort Mill, SC USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer)
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer)
by Brent Weeks
Price: $19.01
65 used & new from $14.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Book / Love the Series, March 15, 2015
After seeing 'The Broken Eye' on the Amazon Best of 2014 list, and having not read any of Bremt Weeks books, I took a leap of faith and I started at the first book of the series. Man O' man can I truly say that I'm glad I did.

The books aren't perfect- I suppose no author is- but the authors growth in book after book is apparent. I've read, in this, that many have found The Broken Eye as the weakest- or a let down/ cash cow. I humbly disagree.

While this book doesn't have the persistent battle themes of the second book, or awesomeness of Gavin in book one- it does pivot the series to the series own namesake (aka Lightbringer); it expands Teias character tremendously and it (I believe) throws a feint at the reader (who's the primary nemesis?)....

However, plot points are important- the authors mastery of prose hums with vibrancy here: Gavin's dream sequences; Kip in the forest (early); Kip in Big Jasper (late).... These are what making the book a lasting work: and one which has me looking forward to book 4.

Very highly recommended to Jordan / Sanderson / Epic Fantasy fans.

Firefight (Reckoners Book 2)
Firefight (Reckoners Book 2)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved 'Steelheart'. As a YA book, January 26, 2015
Firefight is a breezy installment to The Reckoners. I have to admit, first of all, I loved 'Steelheart'. As a YA book, I'd have easily rated its predecessor a 5 "*" book. It was fresh, engaging, engrossing and had a conclusion that was stunning.

With Firefight, however, I think that it didn't live up to it's predecessor. I chewed this over prior to the review. However, there are some glaring holes (even in the YA space):
- David's 1 to 1 with the primary antagonist (late in the fight)
- Plot and timing gaps associated with the time spent in Babilar (in particular, at the beginning)
- Gaps and/or willy nilly 'power' gaps (e.g. What is the Prof's ranking? Mega High Epic?)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book. It was (were it summer) a worthy beach read, if you will. I loved the reveal with regards to the Namesake at the end. And I truly look forward to the 3rd book.

However, I hope in his book churn, Brandon Sanderson can spend a bit more time bridging the gaps...

Golden Son (The Red Rising Trilogy, Book 2)
Golden Son (The Red Rising Trilogy, Book 2)
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sky is the Limit, January 19, 2015
Solid follow up and second book, by Pierce Brown, Golden Son is a very good read. In fact, it's a solid enough read, that it's easy to forget it is the author's second book- ever.

However, from a highlight perspective- it carries forth the stories of Darrow, Mustang, Sevro and many others w/ the full force of a rocket backed turbulent winds. It also strongly branched from its Hunger Games clone roots with this book- opting to tackle (or at least try to) far more weighty subjects such as the roles of people and society.

Without giving away much, I found most poignant a 'reunion' moment between Darrow and a figure from his past. A figure that raised serious questions about the very ideas (and motives) of Eo. The same Eo who'd been the driver of many of Darrow's actions.

With that said, it's not a perfect book. The plot pattern du jour that Pierce Brown follows is one of Rise, Betrayal, Fall. Repeatedly. Restated: while, assuredly, Darrow may possess both preternatural skills, drive, and luck, he (nor his peers/friends) may and does never see nor foresee betrayal. Because it occurs ... repeatedly.

Alas- in this case, Betrayal as Plot device became a form of Deus Es Machina.

But, to be clear, the sky is the limit for Pierce Brown and I eagerly await book 3. As assuredly as Golden Son improved upon Red Rising, I'm hopeful for Morning Star to do likewise to Golden Son.

All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, January 12, 2015
Having seen this book listed on many groups of 2014's 'best of', I picked it up and eased into as the weekend began. Little did I know the effect that the lilting voices of Werner and Marie-Laure would have. Interlaced passages beginning with "present day" August 1944 and flash-backs to their youth, working up through their eventual- all too brief- intersection in Saint-Malo.

There are some negatives, assuredly (I found the most off-putting being not the all-too-close-to-home deaths that occur during war-time but, rather) the Star-Trek Red Shirt manner that 1 occurred. That one negative implementation detail-necessary, I'm sure, to the story as a whole, can not take away from the brilliance of the rest of it.

Most excellent. Get it. Read it. Enjoy it.

No Title Available

by Robin Hobb
Price: $17.71
87 used & new from $8.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Entry, September 21, 2014
There are many ways for there to have been a negative point deduction on this review due to plot pacing for Fool's Assassin. However, as a character play- as a progression therein and thereof- this is a magnificent entry in the FitzChivalry series from Robin Hobb. Assuredly, as some reviewers make note, there is a 'long' opening sequence; however, it's a labor of love: to existing fans, and likely to the characters and author who has dedicated nearly 2.5 (published) decades.

With that said, I savored this entry like a rich, delicious red wine. Fitz's growth: absence, weakness. The Withywood additions, extras such as Lant and Shuns additions (certainly Shun was depicted as horrendously narcissistic), the interplay with Molly, and glorious Bee.

More please!

Finally as a caveat: this book favors those who've read her earlier Fitz series, so if you haven't, do yourself a favor and pick them up starting with Assassin's Apprentice!

Influx
Influx
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $9.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid book- first I'd read of Daniel Suarez. Definitely ..., July 6, 2014
This review is from: Influx (Kindle Edition)
Solid book- first I'd read of Daniel Suarez. Definitely in the Michael Crichton Technical Thriller genre. Highlights include a plausible future state technical premise (surrounding Gravity Waves) with a slight detraction (not uncommon to authors) related to "chatty" plot building (aka plot advances found in character dialogue), etc.

My biggest grievance with the book? How altogether doltish the arch-antagonist is. Without giving away plot points, I couldn't strike the vision that the arch-antagonis was, in fact, Mandark- from Dexter's Laboratory- fully grown. Everything about his unnuanced personality struck me as off, given his position within the BTC.

That's unfortunate as the first portions- including the time spent in prison- were all 5 star.

Frames
Frames
Price: $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better then I'd hoped, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Frames (MP3 Music)
I have to admit- I bought this CD with little to 'no' expectations. However, it's one of the best CD's of the year- and certainly one of the better ones (ever) released by an American Idol.

Completely different then his prior works, with true arts-manship on display.

Musical highlights include the title track Frames, You Don't Know Me, Like I Do, and Stay Away.

Fans of Mumford & Sons, fans of good music, should pick this up.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, August 15, 2013
Took a while to warm up, but then it just rushed toward its emotionally satisfying end. I highly recommend this book to any avid reader.

Dockers Men's 2-Pack Trunk,Black,Large
Dockers Men's 2-Pack Trunk,Black,Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome underwear, June 25, 2013
Perhaps the best underwear yet for those looking to hold up trunk junk, like I am. Does fit snugly- but not too small- due to the extra lycra component (compared to most non-silk underwear). Excellent !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10