Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Profile for K. Erb > Reviews

Browse

K. Erb's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Erb "Kelly" RSS Feed (Philadelphia, PA)

Page: 1 | 2
Greendale Home Fashions Indoor/Outdoor Accent Pillows, Indigo, Set of 2
Greendale Home Fashions Indoor/Outdoor Accent Pillows, Indigo, Set of 2
Price: $24.47
8 used & new from $24.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Colors, August 12, 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect from the picture (so many times, colors can be off or they fade quickly) but this pillow looked even better than I thought - and are holding up beautifully. Really pleased.

New Balance KA688 Alternative Closure Running Shoe (Little Kid/Big Kid),Silver/Blue/Lime-BL,3 M US Little Kid

5.0 out of 5 stars My Not-So-Girly Girl Loves Them, July 25, 2012
My 10 year old daughter is officially in her "I hate everything girly" phase which makes shopping a challenge. I bought these sneakers (covertly) out of desperation since we couldn't find any she liked when we went shoe shopping in person.

She loved the sneakers right out of the box. The color was exactly what she wanted and the fit was accurate. The velcro at the top is clever because it keeps the shoe on even when little girls that have *too much to do* to tie their shoes properly are rushing about. The shoes go with nearly everything (even her teal sundress though admittedly it's a stretch), which makes me happy, too.

The only negative is that they got dirty easily and the dirt did show. I have three kids, though, so dirt is something I've learned to live with...

Bonus: Made in the USA.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 4:33 PM PST

Brave Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Brave)
Brave Junior Novelization (Disney/Pixar Brave)
by Irene Trimble
Price: $4.99
144 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Little Girls!, July 23, 2012
My daughter was so looking forward to the movie so I bought the book for her, as well, for her birthday.

The movie was a bit scary for her (she was 7 when she saw it). It was visually stunning for me, as an adult, but the imagery and the theme, taken together, was a bit too much for my daughter.

That said, the book was terrific. She read it over and over and even illustrated her own interpretation of the story (much less scary that than the movie's interpretation).

I'm glad that I bought it - and more importantly, so is she!

Garmin nuvi 1390/1390T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by Electromax
9 used & new from $29.70

1.0 out of 5 stars It Can't Just Be Us..., July 23, 2012
** Quick Update as of a week later: I went to update maps since I had "Free Lifetime Maps and Traffic" and found that what "free" really means is "free + $90." The most recent map update is not free. I have the option of paying $50 for a one time map or $90 for the "lifetime" maps. I double-checked and reinstalled my update to make sure I didn't miss anything that would trigger a free update. Nope. Grr and grr. At this point, I would offer a -1 star if possible.

So here's why I'm on Amazon.com today: to replace my Garmin. Again.

We initially bought the Garmin Nuvi because of the really terrific reviews. We've been disappointed over and over.

For one: directions. We live in a major metropolitan area and and it's terrible for directions in the city. It refuses to acknowledge, say, one way streets, which I think is a pretty important mapping consideration. It's just as bad in the country. It loves highways and even when we use the feature to avoid them, it spends a great deal of time trying to get us to circle back to the interstate. Ugh.

Two and most important, reliability. My kids are fond of saying "Of course you have" in the car because almost every time we get into the car, we hear from our not-so-trusty Garmin: "Lost satellite reception." And that's not just in the City. It's in Virginia, at the shore in New Jersey, coastal Maine, the center of Pennsylvania and in rural North Carolina. Inevitably, just when we need it most, it loses its satellite. Eventually (usually when we've muddled through without it), it will find the satellites again. As a mom with three young kids, I like the idea that I can depend on a GPS unit to get me to and from my parents house (over 500 miles away) but I have all too often been stranded by the side of a road checking a map because a detour/traffic/bathroom break required a short foray off the normal route and my Garmin wasn't there to help. I would say that it doesn't work for a whole trip 4 out of 5 times (and that's being quite generous).

Bright spot: the only consistently accurate bit (when it works) is the traffic alert. But I dare not get off the route that it originally programmed for fear that "lost satellite reception" will result in our getting lost. However, it does *not* take traffic or routine congestion into consideration when plotting a "fastest" route (Google maps on the phone is sooo much better) and will insist that taking a road with lots and lots of lights is faster simply because the miles are shorter.

Garmin had come highly recommended so you'd think that we'd chalk it up to this being a bum unit and try again. Only this is our second unit. The first one died (screen froze over and over) within a couple of weeks. We had to send it back (too late to return the store, was purchased at, I believe, REI). The return policy - just so you'll know - is as follows: you call Customer Service who insists on troubleshooting the product from "turn it off" to "reboot" as if you've never used a computer before. I get it, so I played along. When Customer Service was satisfied that it really was bad, they sent me a new one. I had to pay for the new one. Along with the new one, they sent me a return label to return the old one. Once they had the old one, I got a credit on my card. Just a little warning since you need to be prepared to pony up the cash in advance.

The new one didn't freeze (hooray!) but it did have the problems as mentioned above. After a long, long wait with Customer Service, we played the troubleshooting game again. The problem was that you can't troubleshoot "lost satellite reception" inside your house on the phone... And since Customer Service couldn't replicate the problem, there was no problem. Make sense? Nah, we didn't think so either.

If I could give it zero stars, I would.

So now we're stuck with our second bum unit and are moving on to GPS #3. Looking for suggestions... Anyone? Bueller?

California Costumes Women's Platinum Marilyn Costume,Silver,Medium
California Costumes Women's Platinum Marilyn Costume,Silver,Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Costume for the Price, June 24, 2012
I should start by saying that I didn't buy this costume to be Marilyn Monroe. I needed a cheap, shiny dress that I could modify for a queen outfit. This one was cheap and had one day shipping outside of Halloween season. I was desperate, so I bought it.

When it arrived, I was impressed. Came quickly, looked as promised.

It's not crazy fancy - there's no wig - just a dress and a wrap. But considering what it is, I was very happy with the product. Priced reasonably and it held up nicely for my two day event (another reviewer said all of her sparkles came off immediately, that did not happen for me, thank goodness). Fit was as anticipated (I'm a size 8, got the medium).

I could see buying a wig and might even be Marilyn for Halloween this season!

Brave
Brave
Price: $10.99
34 used & new from $5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music, daughter loves it, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Brave (Audio CD)
I bought this CD for my 7 year old daughter *before* the movie even came out. I was a little apprehensive because she usually likes very chipper, Disney music (think Beauty and the Beast) and I thought she might not appreciate the moody vibe of this one. Wrong. She loves, loves, loves it. She took it over to a sleepover and the girls there loved it, too.

It's very pretty music, priced fairly. Super purchase, very happy.

3oz. Can of Temporary Spray In Hair Color (White)
3oz. Can of Temporary Spray In Hair Color (White)
Offered by Magic Matt's Brilliant Blinkys
Price: $1.01
2 used & new from $1.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Brunette buyers, beware!, June 24, 2012
My hair is a light auburn and I bought this product for dress-up for an event with kids. TWO cans later, my hair wasn't remotely white. It wasn't even grey, really, just a really old-looking auburn. It stunk terribly and made my hair feel like straw.

The best part (and I'm being facetious here), four days later and a million different kinds of shampoo later (okay, maybe just five different kinds but you get the point), it hasn't washed out. It's still streaked a faded white here and there. I'm trying one more vinegar rinse and calling my hairdresser. I didn't expect it to come out in one wash but seriously, this is ridiculous.

To be fair, I get that this wasn't supposed to turn my hair completely white (despite the picture) but I did think it would do a better job. I've colored my hair all sorts of wacky colors before (silver, green, etc.) and have never been more disappointed.

Would never, ever buy again.

Mini Lunch Notes
Mini Lunch Notes
by Peagreen
Edition: Cards
Price: $9.95
23 used & new from $3.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for school lunches!, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Mini Lunch Notes (Cards)
I've had a habit of including little notes in my kids' lunches for a bit now. I was a little skeptical about the value of buying a book of notes. It felt kind of weird and wasteful. Only it's not. It's fabulous. The notes - but especially the stickers - have been a hit with all of my kids. The stickers include eyeballs, mouths and mustaches, perfect for decorating fruit to look silly. There are also "Eat me first" and other cute stickers to make lunch fun.
The notes are the perfect size. One side has a picture and the other side is ready for personalizing.
I will definitely buy these again. They're worth the few dollars. My kids (ages 5, 7 and 9) look forward to seeing what's inside their lunchbox every day. Sometimes, they even leave "thank you" notes in return!

Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
by Gesine Bullock-Prado
Price: $20.92
63 used & new from $6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Confection, August 3, 2011
Here's what I think a good cookbook should do: it should inspire you to want to cook, to bake, to get into the kitchen.

With that in mind, this is a GREAT cookbook.

First, it's beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous. The pictures are stunning but the cookbook isn't crammed full of them. They're scattered here and there, enough to be titillating. The layout of the book, however, is just a confection: lovely colors and quirky fonts.

Second, it's arranged sensibly. If you've ever made candy before, you know that the candy hardens in stages - those are duly noted on the candy thermometer. That's how the book is arranged from soft to hard, a celebration of sugar.

Third, it's entertaining. I love Gesine's stories interwoven with the recipes. I like knowing the history and culture of a particular dessert, as well as why it matters to the author (why this recipe as opposed to another). I love the bit of human-ness that she brings to cooking.

Finally, I think it's practical. I suspect that there are some folks who might quibble at that characterization since some of the desserts require a certain amount of technique. But Gesine is very frank about which desserts may require some extra skill (or extra tools) and I find that refreshing rather than daunting. It makes me want to try the recipes rather than just flip by them.

My 7yo and I flipped through the book the first day that I got it and she begged me to make practically everything - and she wanted to help. Later, I read through many of the recipes by myself and decided that it would be a great resource for making memories with my own family. A really great purchase.

Wilton Sweet Dots Standard Cups, 75 Count
Wilton Sweet Dots Standard Cups, 75 Count
Price: $3.51
19 used & new from $2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Brightens Up Cupcakes, August 3, 2011
Wilton is a dependable brand for baking supplies and I was again not disappointed.

The colors on the cupcake cups were bright and cheery. We made strawberry cupcakes and the colors really just popped.

The paper didn't stick to the cupcakes at all (one of my pet peeves in a cupcake) and peeled away nicely.

I would definitely buy these again (and in fact, have since bought several Wilton cupcake cups).

Page: 1 | 2