Profile for N. Polzin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 78

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Polzin "grumpella" RSS Feed (Chicago, Illinois United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Jolly Old Santa Claus
Jolly Old Santa Claus
by Patricia A. Pingry
Price: $8.99
56 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Really, really irritated, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Jolly Old Santa Claus (Hardcover)
It is not like the book of my childhood (40 years ago). The panoramic illustrations have been cropped, and the colors do not seem to be as rich. I wanted to get Jolly Old Santa Claus for my nieces, but since their grandfather has a copy (much used), there is no sense in giving them an inferior product, even if it is new. I'm so upset with this edition, I can't even in good conscience give it away anonymously. Still, someone who isn't familiar with the earlier editions might enjoy it, so into the donate box it goes.

Kurt Adler 18" Miniature Pine Christmas Tree
Kurt Adler 18" Miniature Pine Christmas Tree
Offered by JAF GIFTS
Price: $11.09
2 used & new from $9.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for the price, December 26, 2013
The tree arrived mooshed. It was a bit of a process rearranging the branches. Once that was done, I noticed that the branches on one side of the tree were shorter than the others. Not a huge problem, since all one has to do is turn the tree to display the good side. Still, if one is going to buy an artificial tree, one may reasonably expect it to be symmetrical.

FYI: It is a royal pain in the kiester putting lights on this thing. Get a pre-lit tree if you can.

Joyous Noel Advent Calendar
Joyous Noel Advent Calendar
Offered by Brian's Toys
Price: $8.99
4 used & new from $5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful calendar, December 26, 2013
I guess I shouldn't post a review, because once I received it, I did not want to "ruin" it by opening any doors, which means I can't speak to what's behind the doors. The calendar is larger than it appears in the picture, and the picture is very nice and vibrant. Good quality cardstock, and with care, would last many years, even if the doors were opened. For my part, I'm not sure I'll ever open the doors, because I like the picture so much I want it to be part of my Christmas decor as-is.

Black, Orange, Purple, Lime Green Striped Streamer
Black, Orange, Purple, Lime Green Striped Streamer
Offered by A Gifted Solution
Price: $7.00

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT WORTH THE PRICE!, December 26, 2013
I will NOT admit here how much I paid for the thing. Just know that this is a SMALL roll of crepe paper, and if you pay more than $2.00 for it, you're a chump like me.

Gund Fun Christmas Button Snowman 14.5" Plush
Gund Fun Christmas Button Snowman 14.5" Plush
Price: $14.90
15 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute little snowman, December 26, 2013
The problem is, the "fur" that Gund uses for this little guy obscures the half-smile that makes him so endearing in the picture. In fact, I'm really not bananas about the "fur". Don't like it at all, actually. It's stringy and looks cheap. I don't know what else Gund could use, except maybe good ol' plush. Otherwise, this would be a great purchase, especially for a young child (maybe a Christmas arrival?).

Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards
Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards
Price: $16.42
76 used & new from $9.75

1.0 out of 5 stars For the love of Mike, put a lid on the stupid box!, August 26, 2013
I don't know why M & D go to the trouble of packaging their products in wooden boxes without lids. I'd much rather have a sturdy cardboard box with lids to keep everything together than a precious wooden TRAY.

The quality of the board & blocks is great, and there's shoddier out there; but frankly, that doesn't matter if you can't find the blocks in the first place because the child's scattered them to the four winds during normal use.

Levi's Women's 590 Plus-Size Fuller Waist Boot Cut Jean, Denim Belief, 20-Medium
Price: $47.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Hated. Buyer beware., August 26, 2013
First of all, I thought I was ordering a WOMEN'S Plus size as stated in the PRODUCT'S DESCRIPTION; the product received stated "Misses" on the tag. Also, the waist band sat under the natural waist line. I thought maybe it had to do with the Misses v. Plus sizing, but no, that wasn't the case. It was the cut of the jean and and the waist band would've fallen under the natural waistline, my womanly proportions notwithstanding. I know this, because I had someone who was a size Misses "x" try them on. The picture is misleading or not clear enough (lighting; showing the whole model) to actually get a fair idea of fit and cut.

Still, I needed a pair of jeans, and these fit well enough (I wasn't poured into them, after all) so I was determined to make them work. And they did, but they didn't last a year. The material isn't at all durable. My thighs rub together, but I can usually get 1-1/2 to 2 years out of my blue jeans. (Three if I'm lucky and the cut doesn't go out of style.) These started to wear -- SIGNIFICANTLY -- within 4 months. Further, one day when I was putting my jeans on and had the nerve to pull them up, a hole about four inches long ripped along the outer side of the rear right pocket. Mind you, I wasn't trying to zip them up! Nor was I trying to shimmy myself into them. I was just pulling them on. So much for those jeans.

I guess I should just suck it up and shell out $150+ for a pair of NYDJ's with a natural waist. Or, the manufacturer (or Amazon?) could do a better, MORE ACCURATE, job of describing the product so I wouldn't make a bum purchase in the first place!

Gund Easter Magnolia Bunny 18" Plush
Gund Easter Magnolia Bunny 18" Plush
Offered by Strictly Mint Card Company
Price: $24.95
9 used & new from $19.95

3.0 out of 5 stars There's cuter, August 16, 2013
But, my sister liked her, and that's all that matters. Magnolia's got the Gund quality, and there's no denying that she's cute and squishy; however, personally, I don't care for how her ears flop, and you can't change their position (e.g. to get an ear to flop over an eye like a real flop-eared bunny). Also, the bunny I received has legs/feet that tilt to one side, which I believe may be the result of the cramped quarters she was shipped in. I'm not sorry I bought it, but I think I could've found a cuter bunny.

Little Polar Bear Christmas Advent Calendar
Little Polar Bear Christmas Advent Calendar
by Hans de Beer
Edition: Calendar
21 used & new from $7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, August 16, 2013
It's a quality calendar, and I love the scene. Unless someone hates polar bears or Christmas, I'm not sure how you could go wrong with giving this as a little gift for a child -- or for yourself.

UPDATE 08/26/13: I guess I could have included some useful (?) information. The colors are great, neither lurid nor faded; the paper stock is very sturdy, and could, concievably, be used for years to come (though the doors would probably fall off if one were to keep opening them and wear out the folds). Hope this helps.

Little Critters, by Kate Endle 2013 Wall Calendar
Little Critters, by Kate Endle 2013 Wall Calendar
by Kate Endle
Edition: Calendar
12 used & new from $29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a child's room, August 16, 2013
The artwork is very nice, and it's a quality calendar. It's just a little more baby-ish than I expected. I gave it to a coworker who has it up in her cubicle. Go figure.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8