Profile for Wally Nichols > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wally Nichols "Nick" RSS Feed (Scottsdale, AZ USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All
Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed At All
Price: $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitzgerald Has been Wrongfully Maligned, December 30, 2014
This was a very well researched work. Fitzgerald started to each chapter with a proposition that sometimes annoyed me, and with which I disagreed, but then he concluded each chapter with arguments supported by evidence sufficient to sustain each proposition. Therefore I give this book four stars; a must read for any person interested in the academic/scholarly underpinnings of Christianity juxtaposed against those of the mythicist.

How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee
How Jesus Became God: The Exaltation of a Jewish Preacher from Galilee
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Work by Ehrman, June 5, 2014
Prof. Ehrman goes back in typical fashion and lays extremely methodical foundation to support his ultimate proposition. Dr. Ehrman delivers what his readers will recognize and have come to expect: thoroughly well thought out, well constructed, and thoroughly supported propositions toevidence and support his ultimate conclusion. Initially, I admit that I felt some sense of disillusionment because I felt that Dr. Ehrman was merely recycling many of his earlier examinations of the New Testament Scriptures, which he has already exhaustively done in his previous works. But as I continue to follow his line of reasoning, it soon became clear that this was merely necessary to establish the proper underpinnings necessary to lead the reader, step-by-step, to the ultimate conclusion: that Jesus becoming God was the result of a process and not fact--the stuff legends are made of. Dr. Ehrman takes great pains to distinguish the job of the historian from that of the theologian. As is his style, Dr. Ehrman respectfully takes issue with theologians, especially the fundamentalists, but does so without sacrificing academic and intellectual honesty. By the way, his opening, where he juxtaposed the story of Apollonius with that of Jesus Christ, was absolutely magnificent. I suppose I could go on and on, but I am neither a qualified literary critic or biblical scholar. I'm just a lawyer who absolutely appreciates the analysis, candidness, and thoroughness that Dr. Ehrman brings to this latest in a long line of his in-depth works that uncover the historical issues at odds with the "truths" the fundamentalists of our culture have ascribed to the Bible.

A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of the Kennedy Assassination
A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of the Kennedy Assassination
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Now Have More Respect for the Single-Bullet Theory, November 22, 2013
Very matter of fact review of the inner sanctum of the Warren Commission and how the Report came about. I must say, though, after finishing it, I have reconfirmed for myself yet again that this was simply a strange case of life and murder in the early 1960s where one small man took down one larger than life man by simply exploiting public innocence and a degree of security arrogance. There is still a lot to know about Oswald's Mexico City venture and how he afforded all this travel while being basically destitute. Contrary to other works who show Oswald to be shrewdly calculating, this review again paints Oswald as a disturbed young man. I did come to a different more favorable conclusion about Arlen Specter after reading this work and less respect for Earl Warren. I already knew Gerald Ford was a shill. Bottom line: 1 man's life was not worth risking the lives of 49 million in a nuclear WWIII and thus, the Warren Commission's ultimate conclusion of no conspiracy. That single bullet theory though.....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 4:53 AM PST

The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put It Down--Read Almost the Entire Book in One Sitting!, November 22, 2013
Any conspiracy story is going to be more attractive reading than a mystery of comparatively "single caliber." Mr. Waldron has tightened many of the leaps of faith it would take to piece together and connect the dots to all the JFK Assassination mystery elements. But, he has laid down multiple sources and thoroughly researched the issues to make a compelling case for this "Oliver Stone-ish" explanation of how a young John Kennedy was murdered for revenge. Usually the story line has been that JFK was illegally removed from office and US foreign and domestic policy thereby neutered in multiple aspects. Here, the motives were a lot less "just business" and a lot more "personal," albeit gangland/spook-style. I couldn't put down this book for about 5 hours when I first purchased it. Then, there were only about 2 chapters left to finish!

Why We Believe in God(s) - A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith
Why We Believe in God(s) - A Concise Guide to the Science of Faith

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb work! A great investment of my time!, October 14, 2013
Very readable and concisely presented, Dr. Thomson lays bare the secrets of human behavior as related to the whys and wherefores of religion. I think on of the most poignant chapters was 8, where the roots of religion are traced to the earliest three aboriginal tribes and elements of behavior that correlate with the neuro chemical effects each neurotransmitter has on the brain, cognition, and thus, our behavior. Fascinating subjects for the fascinating time in which we live--if everyone would read this work and those like it, we could advance the dialogue and with it, human progress, to a new rational world-view that has the potential to free humankind from the savage bondage of the chains of religion which have thus far retarded our development. Religion has served its evolutionary purpose, such as it was, and it is now past time we tuck it away as we tucked away our teddy bears when we moved into puberty. I highly recommend that everyone read this book.

Red Gripping Stuff for Notices - Pinless Pinboard, Sticks Almost Anywhwere, Great for Office
Offered by Buy 4 Less UK
Price: $17.47
2 used & new from $17.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Gripping Stuff is the Best!, June 12, 2013
This new product out of the UK is simply superb! Now, I don't know how long the "sticky" will last, but it definitely holds onto the wall and holds items (within reasonable weights) for display. I bought it to hold cards, but I stuck an old video onto it and it held it also. So, it apparently will hold a couple of ounces. For the price, it's the bomb! Plus, although the website said it would take until mid-July to get here, it arrived in only a couple of days. Awesome!

Green Gripping Stuff for Notices - Pinless Pinboard, Sticks Almost Anywhwere, Great for Office

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Stuff is Fantastic!, June 12, 2013

How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the art and science of persuasion and motivation
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars How to Get People to Do Stuff, June 5, 2013
Concise yet not cryptic. The narrative provides enough anecdotal support to make the points easy to grasp quickly and retain. I especially like the bullet-point summaries for each section. Well-done and a good buy for me.

CHRIST'S VENTRILOQUISTS: The Event that Created Christianity
CHRIST'S VENTRILOQUISTS: The Event that Created Christianity
Price: $5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Analysis of the Writings of the Apostle Paul Revealing the "Birth" of Christianity, May 7, 2013
The author dissects Paul's Letter to the Galatians by applying forensic methodology and ultimately concludes by designating the events, circumstances and players involved in shaping the early Jesus-sect of Judaism which, the case us made, ultimately culminated with the singular moment that changed Paul's message, and thus gave birth to the new religion of Christianity.

I was initially put off by repetitive arguments becoming shoe-pounding the table. However, I later worked through these arguments as the author's way of beating back 2,000 years of indoctrination. The points could have been established without te cumulative arguments perhaps with one more edits prior to publication. One is left with the impression that time pressures may have forced a premature release in these aspects.

I am yet unsatisfied with the author's statements about Jesus and what Jesus' reactions to Paul's gospel would be/have been. Those arguments need to be better laid out instead of, or in conjunction with, the repetitive arguments comparing Galatians and the other Pauline Epistles. Otherwise, I'm left using the author's methodology against those blanket statements. Basically, the reader is left to making sweeping inferences concerning what Jesus' positions would be or were, merely because Jesus was a Jew and, presumably, a strict adherent to Judaism. I would like to see those arguments better laid out and replacing some of the repetitive points about forensic methodology and the Galatians - remaining Pauline letters substantiations of the author's logic. Then, I could give a 5-star rating instead of a 3-1/2 - 4-star rating based solely on effort and workmanship.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 11:36 AM PST

Tipton Polymer Gun Cleaning Picks
Tipton Polymer Gun Cleaning Picks
Price: $4.99
7 used & new from $2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Tipton Polymer Gun Cleaning Picks, March 20, 2013
These are great tools that allow one to clean in those hard to reach places, such as firing pins, the areas around the grooves in the receiver and all the little rails and grooves on the slide. Reasonably priced and great to have in the cleaning kit.

Page: 1 | 2