Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it blink-182 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Gen of North Coast Gardening > Reviews

Browse

Gen of North Coa...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 1995
Top Reviewer Ranking: 260

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gen of North Coast Gardening RSS Feed (California)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
RUIMX Outdoor 3 Modes Tactical Waterproof LED Flashlight with Fire Lighter and Adjustable Focus Beam Attack Head (1200LM, 18650 Battery Included)
Offered by RUIMX
Price: $23.80
2 used & new from $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Light output is mediocre but the lighter on the back is awesome., June 27, 2016
I've reviewed a ton of flashlights over the years, but this is one of my favorites. The light output is mediocre. The spot is adjustable, but on the small side. Bright enough, but I've seen better. The battery charger is built in, which can be nice, but the charging port is on the side and covered by a piece of rubber hanging from a rubber band. It's in the way and easy to bump loose. It often turns on in flashing mode and the teeth around the lens are laughable. I'd rather these features not exist. Sure they might be useful someday, but I'd probably forget about them if I needed them.

The lighter on the back is awesome. I've got a standalone plasma lighter that I love. Sticking it on a flashlight as an added bonus is great. A lighter commonly makes itself useful at the same times as a flashlight. Just pull off the end cap (rubberized to keep it on and moisture out), and push the little button that is revealed. A purple beam of plasma dances between the contacts. If it doesn't immediately appear, try sticking something you want to light between the contacts. I think they are set just far apart enough that sometimes they need a bit of a boost of conductivity to get the beam started if the battery is getting low. It does indeed light things on fire quickly and without the need of lighter fluid or matches.

I would feel remiss as a reviewer if I didn't stick my finger in the beam (for science!). It feels like sticking your tongue across the contacts of a 9 volt battery. Not comfortable, but it only actually burned me when I left my finger there. I do these things so you don't have to.

I received a sample for review but the honest opinions are my own.

Wild Republic Cuddlekins Hare 12" Plush
Wild Republic Cuddlekins Hare 12" Plush
Price: $13.25
12 used & new from $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality. Head fell off! But gorgeous and friendly looking., June 26, 2016
I love the realism and softness of this hare, and the way the ears can be bent to a more realistic orientation, to show emotion or curiosity. However, the head started falling off within a month and when I tried to sew it to repair it, the fabric itself was disintegrating. The stitching quality on this thing was terrible! I have contacted the company and am hoping for a replacement. It's a great little animal and my son fell in love with it, but you can imagine he is a bit concerned and upset about the head falling off his friend. :(

SKIN&CO Roma Truffle Therapy Serum, 1.0 fl. oz.
SKIN&CO Roma Truffle Therapy Serum, 1.0 fl. oz.
Price: $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An above average serum which fits well into the Korean skincare 10 step regimen, June 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an extremely nice, creamy serum that goes on like a wet lotion. It has a distinct fragrance that I wish were a little bit less strong given that I'm using it on my face, however even though I'm not a fan of highly scented products on my face, I will say that the fragrance is very pleasant and smells high-end. I'm used to using natural products like Lush that smell of identifiable botanicals, and this smells more like something you'd get at a high-end department store.

Just the right amount comes out with each pump, I found that I only needed one pump per use to cover my face and neck area. I've been doing the Korean 10 step skincare regimen outlined in Charlotte Cho's book The Little Book of Skincare about Korean skincare, in which she recommends starting with oil cleansing, moving onto a foam cleanser, exfoliater, toner, essence or serum, moisturizer, then sun protection. There are more details than that obviously, but in any case I am finding that this serum dovetails nicely with the other products I've chosen from Korean lines.

How much money is it worth? Well, I will say that I have found a number of highly recommended and effective serums for a variety of prices. I like a midrange one from Oz naturals, an inexpensive one from Benton with snail extracts and bee venom (!), and my very favorite is one from MitoQ which is outrageously priced but feels luxe and does an amazing, noticeable job. This one is a very nice serum and I like it a lot, however it is not so outstanding that I would pay an outstanding amount of money for it. Essences and serums from TonyMoly, Missha, Skinfood, Etude house, etc seem to do a similar job at a low price point and are highly rated by users.

Overall, this does an above-average job of moisturizing, brightening, and smoothing my skin on my face, even after a rough night up with the baby, I feel that my skin isn't giving away my lack of sleep. I wish the fragrance were much less potent, but it smells nice and didn't irritate my sensitive skin. However, it's not my top favorite, and I am not sure the results justify a high-end price point.

I have combination skin with sensitivities.

Shrinky Dinks 3D Flower Jewelry
Shrinky Dinks 3D Flower Jewelry
Offered by 5 Toys
Price: $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the 3-D element to this, but would recommend using sharpies instead of the included colored pencils., June 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have made a lot of shrinky dinks in my day, and one issue that I remember is how hard it was to get them to sit flat while cooking. They would always curve up and end up looking unintentionally a little bit warped. This kit solves that problem with a little 3-D form that encourages the flowers to pop up and develop a more natural flowerlike shape. It's awesome! My only real complaint here is that it takes forever trying to cook them three at a time. How long does it take to color one of those little flowers? You have to have the oven going for hours and hours at a time, which is extremely wasteful of energy.

Other than that, this is a super cool kit that would make a great gift for a young girl. Who doesn't love making jewelry for yourself and friends at that age? I remember that was a major pursuit for me, and I loved expressing myself artistically that way.

I'll also note that while colored pencils are included with this kit, I've always had better results using sharpie markers. More vivid color, easier to reduce the streaking and get a nicer end result, etc. So if you have one of those kits with 20 or 40 different colors of sharpies, both fine and blunter of point, dig that out and use those instead of the colored pencils. You can even use the metallic sharpies for a little extra bling.

I'm really glad that the brand is thinking about how they can try new things and reach a younger market and not just us nostalgic people who are buying them for our kids. It's such a cool, easy project for kids of all ages that everyone can enjoy together. And I really like the interactive nature of this kit that makes it into an art project, a social activity, and something that gives you an end result that you know what to do with rather than just a little plastic charm that you have to figure out where to hang. Great set, and would make a fabulous gift.

New Balance Women's Breathe Hipster Panties (3 Pack), Nude/Black/Concrete Grey, Medium
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great underwear for under lululemons, June 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've long been eyeing the expensive nonslip panties from lululemon, because they look like they won't bunch or slide, but the price is out of control. So when offered the opportunity to check these ones out from New Balance, I was on board.

I wear yoga pants daily but my normal modal undies do bunch up. I hoped these would not show under my lululemon tights and pants and that they would not bunch or slide.

I've worn them for two days now and they've been great! Bonded seams aren't visible and they don't cut into me or leave panty lines. The fabric is breathable and doesn't irritate my skin. And they don't seem like they want to bunch and slide. I'm really happy with them and wish I'd invested in performance undies a long time ago.

The sizing and cut is as expected for bikini mediums. There was no shrinking in the wash.

Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Queen
Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Queen
Price: $154.00
3 used & new from $154.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Could easily replace a futon or guest bedroom spring mattress if on a supportive platform., June 21, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've tried out a lot of different memory foam products, from pillows to mattress toppers, and I've found they vary a lot. Some will hold a hand print for minutes, and others are really springy. This one is the latter. I think they found a good firmness. When I lay on it, it doesn't sag, and it only gives where I'm putting the most weight. The end result is firm without that feeling of having a shoulder or hip bone taking too much weight. I'm impressed that even when I put it on a cement floor to unpack it, I couldn't feel the floor even when standing on one foot.

This truly could replace a mattress or futon mattress, especially in a guest or second bedroom. It's supportive and comfortable. Even the "back" side with the regular foam was very comfy to lay on as-is, though the thin memory foam layer on what is supposed to be the top adds an extra level of comfort.

When I unrolled the compressed package, it didn't take up much space, but the moment I cut the packaging, it was like the mattress took a long deep breath, and poof! Fully reconstituted mattress. I would caution you to open it it in a well ventilated area, and then leave it there and stop, drop, and roll across it once in a while to purge the chemical smell it arrives with. It might take a few days of this if you are sensitive to such things. It really stunk up our whole garage, but four days later the smell has dissipated completely and we are enjoying resting on it for afternoon naps

Dick Stevens Jerky Mix Extreme Beef and Turkey Blends Variety Pack, Original, 18.15 Ounce
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious product with quality ingredients and a fun mix of flavors, June 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great brand with high-quality ingredients. I think my favorite product is the beef extreme mix, followed by the turkey extreme mix, then both types of original mix. I really like the sunflower seeds and pecans in the extreme mix, and think that nut blend is a more cohesive trail mix than almonds and macadamia nuts, because almonds are so firm and macadamia nuts softer and more buttery in texture. The turkey jerky tastes pretty good and is chewy enough that it will last you a while, and I like the mild and not overwhelming seasoning. It's a fun change, and the beef jerky is even better. Their jerky is not chemically softened like so many brands nowadays, so it resembles the chewier jerky that you might make at home in a dehydrator.

The dried fruit has a very soft texture and thus is a little bit sticky from being reconstituted with apple juice and sunflower oil. This is fine for me, because I am generally eating it at my desk and can go wash my hands after snacking, however if you plan to eat this on the road, you might like to put it in a different container so that you don't have to touch it. I think I would like this even better were the dried fruit a little more dried and not quite so messy.

Upon purchasing, you should be aware that they have had some issues with freshness control with their stock from Amazon, so if you don't like the product, that may be why. The first time I tried this product, I tried the original jerky mix in a set of five, and the macadamia nuts and almonds were so soggy that they weren't crispy at all, they just sort of crumbled in the mouth. Upon contacting the manufacturer, he sent me a replacement which included both the extreme beef and the original beef jerky mix, and the fresh product was so delicious that I wanted to tell the world how great it was. The manufacturer thought there must've been some kind of a problem with their moisture reducing packets or with their sealing equipment for that particular batch. Unfortunately, this new batch of five different bags (four different varieties) is suffering from the same issue, albeit not quite as bad as last time. The nuts in both the extreme and original mixes just seem overly wet, and they've lost that crisp crunch that I expect from fresh raw nuts. All that is to say, if you order this and the nuts have gone soggy, contact Amazon and the manufacturer to let them know about the problem and I feel certain they will stand behind the product.

Designer 16oz Borosilicate Glass Water Bottle with Silicone Sleeve I Wide Mouth Can Serve As Fruit Infuser Bottle I Leak Proof Zinc Alloy Lid I Eco-Friendly, BPA-Free & Dishwasher Safe I Best Buy
Offered by ZAZ Glass
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A sleek water bottle with great build quality, June 17, 2016
Fabulous water bottle. I've been carting this around with me for two days now and I love it. Holds plenty, lid doesn't leak and is easy to put on or take off one handed, and the presentation is stylish. Love the thin nonslip grip on the bottle. The nonslip grip can be removed if needed but it is hard to do, so I don't anticipate doing so. I really like it.

My only complaint is one that you can see before purchase. Why does every tiny brand feel the need to emblazon a giant logo on the product? Is that really serving the customer? If they must, why not make the logo something attractive (like a design instead of letters or a brand name) that would truly be desirable rather than just visual noise on our item. That said, this brand's letter logo is more stylish than most.

Overall, this is a great item with a sleek look and a quality build. The body went through the dishwasher no problem; I handwashed the lid. I received a free or discounted product in exchange for my honest review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Power Strip, FlePow® 5-Outlet Home/Office Rotating Surge Protector Power Strip with Dual USB Charging Ports (5V, 2.1A), 3.8ft Cord
Offered by FLEPOW
Price: $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous problem solver for those boxy plugs, June 13, 2016
I got this super cool, twisty surge protector power strip free in exchange for my honest review.

Though I have a lot of high end surge protectors from Belkin and other brands, the thing that makes this one totally unique is that the segments move so I can put all those awkwardly shaped and overly large boxy plugs all on one strip. Right now with my old ones, the boxy plugs take up two plug spots, so I can't maximize the power strip. This one , I just turn the strip this way and that, and everything fits great.

I couldn't love this creative problem solver more. Each circular plug spot is also bigger than expected and this generous size better fits those oversize plugs.

I haven't had any power surges that I'm aware of so it is hard to evaluate that portion of things, but I don't have any reason to doubt that function would work, given the build quality of the rest of it. If it fails on me in any way I'll be sure to report back.

Panasonic Best in Class MAX DJ Jukebox Sound System SC-AKX18 (Black) Bluetooth and USB Music Play, Smartphone Control
Offered by Computer Brain
Price: $177.65
52 used & new from $75.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality and only a single CD player, June 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Opening the package for this sound system was like going back in time 20 years, and not in a good way. It has a single CD player (you don't even have to rewind!), which is great for me because I still have a stack of unusual music on CDs that I have yet to burn to my computer and isn't available on streaming music sites. But any boombox nostalgia fails when you realize it doesn't clip together, so you can't even pick it up as a single unit. It does have space for two USB thumb drives, which is super nice and worked well. I have the same in my car so it's great to be able to bring my USB stick from car to indoor stereo. I like the giant volume knob, and Bluetooth is a good modern feature to have, though not hard to find these days.

The main problem is that the whole thing feels and sounds cheap. Not like throw it away cheap, just like a-third-this-price cheap. The sound goes up to pretty loud without any catastrophic failings, but the base only goes down low enough to kind of sound like base, which just left my ears twitchy. Everything is made of that slightly warpy thin plastic and thin particle board.

I expect a solid mid-range product (or better) out of Panasonic, and this really disappoints. To be in line with what I'd expect in a modern age, I'd want it to hold multiple CDs, have great sound quality with exceptional bass (Kanye didn't sound great with the low quality bass), and clip together for easier portability.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20