Profile for R. Taylor > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 76

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Taylor "R. Taylor" RSS Feed (Austin, TX USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Energizer CR1225 3V Lithuim Watch Battery Pack Of 5
Energizer CR1225 3V Lithuim Watch Battery Pack Of 5
Offered by National Deals
Price: $5.35
4 used & new from $5.35

1.0 out of 5 stars EVERY SINGLE BATTERY DEAD RIGHT OUT OF THE STRIP, April 7, 2012
I am not a proponent of full on NEGATIVE reviews, but DO NOT PURCHASE THESE OR ANY BATTERIES FROM THIS MERCHANT, these were manufactured in 1998, that is 14 years ago, every single battery dead and falling right out of the packaging when I received the envelope with these in it.

I purchased them for my sick child's thermometer. THANKS!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2013 2:11 PM PST

Dyson Articulating Hard Floor Tool
Dyson Articulating Hard Floor Tool
Offered by Jumping Sales
Price: $39.93
28 used & new from $37.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Laminate and Tile.. BUT NOT FOR TALL PEOPLE.., February 25, 2012
We purchased this to use with our Dyson DC41 Vacuum, it comes as you see it in the picture, it is similar to a brush broom with suction in the center. The tool bottom is a rectangular bar with a 1/4 inch of stiff bristles all the way around the parameter, it includes that small adapter that is about 2 inches long I guess some Dyson models require, although the DC41 does not require I don't think, and it works wonderfully! It gets into all the places on our Laminate and our Tile which is what it was purchased for.

It cleans very well, if you have dried on dirt or such I am sure it will work well on that too, we've had one case of a small patch of mud, when it dried it vacuumed right off, it also pivots along the floor and the vacuum follows along with you as you move with the model we own, which again is the DC41...

BIG BUT HERE...

BUT.. We in our family are blessed with height, I am 5' 9 1/2, and my Husband 6', my son is 6'1", our daughter who is just 3 is in the 95% for her height range, so surely will be tall as well.. (and being that we spent $600 on the vacuum, my daughter better be using it in her 30s, 27 years from now) the design of this particular attachment is great, except for the fact that is it lacking a longer tube extension attachment and the ability (so far that I've researched) to purchase a tube extension.

SO, the ergonomics of using this if you are blessed with any height over I would say 5' 4" is severely lacking.

Most vacuum brands have extension tubes you can purchase or they even come with, I have yet to find one for Dyson, so, we are hunched over cleaning our laminate and tile floors, which cover 70% of our home.

This is not the only attachment that could benefit with such an extension tool, and why there is no extension tube where you have innovations with the Dyson brand no other vacuum designer has, I have no clue, but PLEASE come out with one soon if you're reading..

AN EXTENSION TUBE SET SIMILAR OR EVEN IDENTICAL TO YOUR CANISTER VACUUMS WITH A HANDLE WOULD BE GREAT!

and NOPE, to answer the question, the canister tubes for the Dyson canisters do not connect, we tried at an electronics store with their demo/floor models, we tried everything we could think of that day, the sales guy actually said we could "buy one from Dyson for the Canister and use duct tape".. Really?? Duct tape does not fix everything there Skippy, contrary to popular opinion..

Long and Short, FANTASTIC TOOL, POOR ERGONOMIC OVERALL DESIGN, Dyson please offer to Sell it with or separate, but this, as it is now is very hard on an already bad back.

I hope to have helped your purchasing decision, Thanks for reading.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 14, 2012 9:35 AM PDT

Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail, White
Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail, White
Price: $39.98
11 used & new from $39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Bedrail we could find... BUT.., February 25, 2012
REVIEW OF THE ACTUAL QUALITY OF THE DUAL RAILS

Positives:
Metal Frame Extremely well designed,
Metal Frame Extremely sturdy (compared to other manufacturer's) - *doesn't feel sturdy until install, but it is extremely well made.
- Has the Metal Frame that comes up the side, as well as a Metal bar that runs horizontally (parallel to the rails) that sits under the mattress, making this extremely sturdy.

Negatives:
Fabric Barrier is not very well made, the quality is lacking on many levels
- Fabric Fraying right out of the box
- Seams not but single stitched and on some corners and edges coming off
- Overall Quality of Fabric is lacking, but it will keep the kid in the bed, which is the point, hopefully the fabric fraying is not a strangulation or choking hazard.
- The "Hide Away" Feature cannot be used with a bunkie board if the actual Bed's Side Board rail blocks the Regalo Bed Rail from being able to fold down (we chose to use a bunkie board in lieu of a box spring because of the height difference)

I give it 4 stars because of our experience, the fabric quality out of the box, seems this is typical, it was with both types we tried, although the manufacturer sent us a completely new set of barriers that were single stitched, they were not fraying in the least, the metal frame calls for 5 stars.. The END result calls for 5 stars, out of the box calls for a reaching 4 with the barrier fraying issue.

** I WISH THE'D IMPROVE THE FABRIC QUALITY & I WISH THEY WOULD FIX THEIR EXTREMELY IMPORTANT APA WARNING **

*We originally purchased the Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White, which is two of the extra long single version of this same rail, we no longer own those rails, they were returned to Amazon, read below if you'd like to get a complete unabridged version, with an explanation on the VERY IMPORTANT APA WARNING, again not mentioned in any literature any where, got it verbally from the manufacturer on January 11, 2012.

** YOU CANNOT PURCHASE SINGLE RAILS AND ATTACH THEM TO EACH OTHER TO ACHIEVE A DUAL SIDED RAIL SITUATION - THE BELOW WILL EXPLAIN WHY.

BACK STORY:
We were so excited to get our daughter, 3yrs old, in a big girl Full Size bed, her crib was a 3 way and converted from crib to toddler to Full Size bed, she was so delighted, eyes wide while we assembled the bed, huge grin and silliness, you would have thought it was Christmas all over again.. BUT, I have found purchasing bed rails to be extremely frustrating and there is a lot of information being passed by the manufacturer here that was not mentioned on the description, nor on the packaging, or the manual. AS well as if what they (Regalo-Baby) say is correct, this would apply to most manufactured bed rails, given the reason they gave me.

On 1/11/2012, I received TWO of the Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White, paid $59 even for both, however, on one of them pieces 12 and 13 had a significant amount of rust on them even though the manufacture date was Sept 2011, (The paint was not chipped, it was not painted adequately and I'm sure was exposed to the salt air of ocean shipping from overseas where it is manufactured salt exposure leads to rust issues almost immediately).

SO, I contacted Regalo, the number is provided on the box, the gentleman was very professional, I advised him that there was rust on parts 12 and 13 of one, said they would be happy to replace it, wanted a photo, and while on the phone inspected the other rail and advised there was a minor issue on that one as well. HE STOPPED ME and said "YOU CANNOT USE TWO OF THESE Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White ON THE SAME BED, THE APA (American Pediatric Association) HAS WARNED AGAINST IT DUE TO GAP SUFFOCATION & STRANGULATION ISSUES".. kind of an important warning.. so I heeded and returned them for one "dual sided model".. I also told him that warning wasn't written anywhere on the box or the manual, he says they are working on correcting that issue.

We had purchased these to replace the Munchkin Safety Toddler Bed Rail, White/Blue, which is also reviewed by the way, those were a pitiful excuse for a bed rail, and because of Regalo's advice (which again is not on the packaging, not here on Amazon's description *as of today, and also NOT mentioned in the manual) I returned them both to Amazon without hesitation *ALSO Advised Amazon of the manufacturer's warning and am hoping they will post it here in the description as out of 100+ reviews there's not much luck someone will see mine and not make the same mistake.

There is a Extra Long Dual Sided Model EXCLUSIVELY SOLD by One Step Ahead, manufactured by Regalo, but will run you about $20 more in cost, purchasing them separately, you will pay TAX and Shipping.. a nice $90+/- vs. $59 for two of these on Amazon, free shipping using 2-day Prime or 5-7 day.. Regalo's model number at One Step Ahead is 6020HD possibly 5020HD I'm told, or One Step Ahead's Part numbers 14110 & 14111 *Also as of today sold here on Amazon by One Step Ahead for the same price as their own website, unsure about tax and shipping conditions.

NOW for the kicker, after returning these I ordered this one, the Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail - White, it is shorter, but I really don't think we're going to have an issue with the shorter version. I assembled it, it is nearly identical to the "Extra Long Version", aside from the length.. BUT IT ONLY HAS ONE SIDE OF STRAPS..

I'm not going to advise against the manufacturer's VERBAL Safety warning, but WHAT??? WHY CAN YOU NOT BUY TWO OF THESE AND USE ONE SET OF THE STRAPS???? Still don't understand why, but am not going to advise you to do that here.

There is absolutely NO Difference outside of the fact that one has straps and the other does not on the dual version, so I do not see any reason why you couldn't, but again, THE MANUFACTURER VERBALLY WARNED AGAINST IT, SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MY STATEMENT AS APPROVAL FOR USING TWO OF THE Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White ON THE SAME BED.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope I've helped with your purchasing decision.

Dyson DC41 Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC41 Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by BESTDEAL TECH (TAX Free)
Price: $380.00
34 used & new from $215.78

5.0 out of 5 stars This Vacuum is amazing, EXPENSIVE, but fantastic for those with Allergies!, February 25, 2012
We purchased ours directly from Dyson, they had a sale, we got 3 FREE attachments with it that valued around $90, with free shipping and no tax we had to. Then Amazon dropped the price a week later and it about evens out so either place you purchase you'll make out about the same expense wise, if you're a Prime member you'll get yours in 2 days, vs 3-5 days from Dyson.

We did however purchase the "Dyson Articulating Floor Attachment" from Amazon, probably 70% of our flooring is hard floors, Tile or Laminate, only the bedrooms are carpet.

We purchased the DC41 BECAUSE
1) We were sucked in by the latest and greatest Dyson model, of course
2) The automatic adjustment on the floor plate *YOU SHOULD BE AWARE, EVEN THOUGH THE FLOOR PLATE DOES ADJUST AUTOMATICALLY, YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF THE ROTATING BRUSH/ "Beater Bar" WHEN MOVING BETWEEN FLOOR TYPES, SOMETHING NOT MENTIONED.

So, I first unpacked it, was extremely well packed, almost frustrating, ok, there is so much plastic and cardboard in here you could wrap a full fridge if you flattened all the pieces out there is so much packing, but appreciated because we dropped $600 on a VACUUM, they better pack it well, and that notion was reinforced by the obvious puncture in the outer carton by the shipping company - not a scratch on the vacuum.

Then I proceeded to play around with how it felt moving it around, convincing myself BEFORE I turned it on that $600 we had saved specifically and only for this VACUUM was worth it in every sense of the word. I'm not going into the melodrama of our finances, but this was a huge expense we had saved for quite a while simply because my child and husband suffer from terrible allergies, I also am allergic to mold and dust, but not even comparable to theirs.

I took it into our Master bedroom and I vacuumed a probably 8ft by 3 ft rectangle at the end of our bed between our dresser, I had vacuumed with our Eureka vacuum daily forever, the canister was half full of dust and nastiness.. I WAS SOLD!

It was worth the $600 specifically because of our allergy issues, we live a very densely populated Cedar Tree area and my husband and daughter are highly allergic, they developed the allergy after we moved here. We had saved for an entire year for the purpose of purchasing another version then this one was released, we researched it, I spent time on the phone with Dyson and we determined that this was the model for us.

I hope this helped your purchasing decision, it is an expensive one, I still encourage you all to research wisely and make sure this is the right product for your money.

Ninja Kitchen System 1100 - AS SEEN ON T.V. - 1100 WATTS OF POWER
Ninja Kitchen System 1100 - AS SEEN ON T.V. - 1100 WATTS OF POWER
Offered by Consumer Wholesales
Price: $224.95
3 used & new from $175.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best Blenders, February 2, 2012
Number one, this is a "Different Version" than the original that I own and purchased from Euro Pro, there are multiple variations of the same product out there, which is to be expected over time from a product's first roll out, but the wattage and the attachments are the same, the ONLY difference is the button placement, and this has been rolled out to various chains to sell in their stores. All of them boast 1100 watts, all of them have the same attachments, some may or may not include a recipe book. Some even say 1200 watts, but I've yet to see an actual box with 1200 on there, and what does 100 watts do.. absolutely nothing, same result.

My review of the original, yes it is also on the actual original model on this website as well as yet another model variation. They are all "Digital", though there is no LCD on any of them, which is typically what one refers to when boasting about "digital" anything.

All models so far are Fundamentally the same, different buttons don't change the end result, also doesn't change my review, we love it and use it daily. My In Laws own the different button configuration one, why I chose to extend my review because I've used it, still love it.

I got this for my birthday from my husband and son, they are good boys! It was something we had looked at on the TV ads and kept thinking on and surprise, I did get one! I was so happily surprised with the way this contraption did absolutely everything they claimed on the TV ad, although we're not normally the infomercial buying kind of people, we wait for them to hit the stores to trek the "As Seen on TV Isle".

I always start off with a warning when needed, so WARNING, THE BLADES ARE FREAKING SHARP, My husbands already cut himself at least three times just barely touching them, always-always-always keep the blade locked inside the containers, the other pieces can float around your drawers or wherever you keep them, but the blades, keep them locked inside the pitcher/blender units. The Pitchers are also plastic, they don't mar or cut easily, but the blades can and will scar them up, so careful keeping your pitchers shiny and happy.

When washing, we place the blade in the dishwasher first, then the pitcher upside down on top of the blade, relative to which blade it belongs to, this keeps you from cutting yourself loading or unloading the dishes. You get the idea.. THE BLADES ARE FREAKING SHARP, AND THEY'RE EXTREMELY CLOSE TOGETHER SO IT'S VERY EASY TO CUT YOURSELF. It's like a saw, you don't grab it on the jagged side, and you don't grab scissors open and in the middle, so don't just go grabbing the blades here people, use the ends to handle it and keep yourself cut free.

Enough about the sharpness of it, because if you didn't notice, IT'S FREAKING SHARP, really now, moving on..

Construction: This is very well constructed, the grade of the plastics and the materials used to manufacture the Ninja seem very well made.

What you'll usually get the with the System, if it includes extras or perks you'll have to check the description or with the seller:
1 Large Pitcher
1 Small Pitcher
1 Large and 1 Small Very Sharp Blades
1 Large and 1 Small Dough Paddles (not sharp)
1 Small Dough Hook (also not sharp)
The set also includes Two (2) distinctive locking lids that cannot be interchanged, although they are identical in size I believe, each with spouts, the lid for the small pitcher has a strainer built in. The locking mechanism is very important if you have little ones, or a clumsy spouse, you want to store your blades inside their respective pitcher, I cannot say that enough.

Makes a fabulous Margarita, a Colada, any Frozen Alcoholic Drink this guy handles with a smile, Throw in your favs, add ice, blended inebriating bliss. For some of you this might be enough and you can just hit Buy Now, for others I've covered a lot here so feel free to read on.

We crush ice, I make slushies and snow cones for the kids sometimes, other times I just like the take of the ice alone, nothing added. There was a time there I was doing this daily at first, several times a day in fact, there is nothing like obliterated ice. It tastes exactly like snow! There is a drawback, you cannot pour obliterated ice from the pitcher, and the blades are extremely sharp and in the way, carefully remove the blade and scoop out the ice if that's what you'd like. Ice alone. For this and most drinks you want to use your Tall Pitcher.

I will warn you NOT to crush ice then add cold liquids, it needs to be one action, Ice + Liquid at the same time, otherwise, if you don't add enough liquid to your Ninja to the crushed ice then it will freeze together and make it difficult to remove from the Ninja and virtually useless to you because you've turned your "snow" into a block that's surrounded some EXTREMELY SHARP Blades, have fun thawing that mess out. There is one exception, an iced Latte or Coffee sort drink, using hot liquids, this wont freeze up your ice and liquid, that should be a duh there..
Remember: Hot + Frozen = blended bliss, Cold + Frozen = Nightmarish block of hell..

Speaking of making your own latte, read along 'til the end and I'll give you my very own Vanilla Latte Recipe, taste's amazingly similar to your favorite coffee shop on every corner, and this will cost you about $0.25 to make, I won't mention their name.

Making Guacamole, you want to be careful making dips or other things that are meant to have a texture that adds to the appetizing nature of the food, make sure you're not pureeing your foods. Texture is nearly as important as Taste is, unless of course you're feeding a baby and want to puree the foods. My husband pureed some Guacamole, it wasn't the greatest. Tasted fine, texture wise was too smooth.

Making Dough, for those of you that are Gluten Free using this to make your dough is amazingly simple. Especially when you're dealing with various types of flours and want to make sure you've mixed the mixture thoroughly. I've used many different recipes for Gluten Free mixes, including cakes, cookies, pancakes, and pizza dough, all turned out perfectly wonderful, well aside from the fact they don't have Gluten in them (which I terribly miss). Again, with baking too, textures are often necessary in the baking process, read the recipe carefully and make sure if it says the end result should be lumpy that it is.

We make quite a few things in our Ninja, things we would normally use a blender for smoothies (which we did toss out, rather donate, our Blender when we got the Ninja, I'm not a clutter person). Do exactly as it says, add frozen fruit, instead of ice and it taste's fantastic!

For you Gluten Free and Lactose Free people, we found using Coconut Milk (So Delicious or Silk brands) and a little Coconut Flour adds quite a bit of fiber and Coconut Sugar tastes fantastic too.. (both of which you can find at your local health food store, it is a little pricey, but if you're on this GF diet you know it's expensive). Add 3 Cups of Coconut Milk, about 3 Tbs of Coconut Sugar, a 1/4 Cup of Coconut Flour (for Fiber), and about 2 Cups (to taste) of frozen mixed fruit and you have a fantastic smoothie on your hands.

This is MY Latte recipe, I didn't take it from any company, my comparison is simply that it tastes like a very well known brand. I do fiddle around in the kitchen and I do have a lot of great recipes I've come to love just by playing around with ingredients.

Vanilla Latte Recipe: 2 Servings, about 16 to 20 oz each +/-

Large Ninja Pitcher
Large Dough Paddle (Black one)
1/3 Cup of Ground Dark or Medium Coffee
2 Cups of Water, or to 4 Mark on your coffee machine
3 Cups of Milk
2 Tbs of Pure Vanilla, or imitation, it doesn't really matter
2 to 3 Tbs of Sugar in the Raw sugar, NOT HEAPING (we use nearly 3, about 2 & 3/4 Tbs), you could also use regular sugar, although I'm not sure what the variation would be, it's finer so be careful you don't make it too sweet. ** You can also use Splenda in place of Sugar, measure one to one, other artificial sweeteners I found to be bitter or just plain yucky, Splenda was nearly identical to taste.

In the Microwave bring 3 Cups of Whole or 2% milk to a boil, about 3 & 1/2 to 4 Minutes
Pour the Milk into the Large Pitcher
Add Vanilla and Sugar
Turn Ninja on DOUGH!!
** BE careful of the speed here, you will end up with hot milk shooting out the top if you use any faster speed** I will not be liable for failure to follow my directions.
Let that mix for about 3 to 4 minutes or while you brew your coffee

1/3 Cup of Ground Dark or Medium Coffee
Fill your coffee Maker with water to the 4 mark, which is I believe 2 cups give or take

Once you've Made your coffee in your Coffee Maker, and You've made your milk in your Ninja
Pour 3/4 to 1 Cup COFFEE (depending on your taste, start with less you can add more but you cannot take away) into each Cup
Open the Ninja and remove the Dough Blade leaving the lid off
Pour the Milk on top of the Coffee equally going back and forth between the two cups until you reach foam, then pour the foam equally into each cup spooning or using a spatula to get it all out and viola, Vanilla Latte.

Careful, it is HOT!

Add more Coffee to taste if you want..

All in all the positives of this product outweigh the danger of the blades in my opinion, as long as you're careful, keep the blades locked in the pitchers at all times I think you'll be extremely satisfied with your purchase.

That's all I have, I hope to have helped you with your purchasing decision.
Thanks for reading!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2014 9:02 PM PST

Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White
Regalo Hide Away Extra Long Bed Rail, White
Offered by Girly Giggles Toy Shop LLC
Price: $46.48
10 used & new from $39.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Compared to the competition, this is better BUT...., January 13, 2012
REVIEW OF THE ACTUAL QUALITY OF THE RAIL

Positives:
Metal Frame Extremely well designed,

Negatives:
Fabric Barrier is not very well made, the quality is lacking on many levels
- Fabric Fraying right out of the box
- Seams not but single stitched and on some corners and edges coming off
- Manufacturer Warns the APA says you cannot use more than one rail per bed due to a gap/suffocation danger.

I give it 3 stars because of our experience, the inability to use two for one bed, and the fabric quality, the metal frame calls for 5 stars..

** IF I COULD USE JUST ONE, I WOULD BUY THIS MODEL OR ANOTHER REGALO BED RAIL, I WISH THE'D IMPROVE THE FABRIC QUALITY

*We no longer own these rails, they were returned to Amazon, read below if you'd like to get a complete unabridged version, with an explanation on the VERY IMPORTANT APA WARNING, again not mentioned in any literature any where, got it verbally from the manufacturer on January 11, 2012.

BACK STORY:

On 1/11/2012, I received TWO of these bed rails, paid $59 even for both, however, on one of them pieces 12 and 13 had a significant amount of rust on them even though the manufacture date was Sept 2011, (The paint was not chipped, it was not painted adequately and I'm sure was exposed to the salt air of ocean shipping from overseas where it is manufactured salt exposure leads to rust issues almost immediately).

SO, I contacted Regalo, the number is provided on the box, the gentleman was very professional, I advised him that there was rust on parts 12 and 13 of one, said they would be happy to replace it, wanted a photo, and while on the phone inspected the other rail and advised there was a minor issue on that one as well. HE STOPPED ME and said "YOU CANNOT USE TWO OF THESE RAILS ON THE SAME BED, THE APA (American Pediatric Association) HAS WARNED AGAINST IT DUE TO GAP SUFFOCATION & STRANGULATION ISSUES".. kind of an important warning.. so I heeded and returned them for one "dual sided model".. I also told him that warning wasn't written anywhere on the box or the manual, he says they are working on correcting that issue.

We purchased 2 of these to replace the Munchkin Safety Toddler Bed Rail, White/Blue, which is also reviewed by the way, those were a pitiful excuse for a bed rail, and because of Regalo's advice (which again is not on the packaging, not here on Amazon's description *as of today, and also NOT mentioned in the manual) I returned them both to Amazon without hesitation *ALSO Advised Amazon of the manufacturer's warning and am hoping they will post it here in the description as out of 100+ reviews there's not much luck someone will see mine and not make the same mistake.

NOW for the kicker, after returning these I ordered the Regalo Hide Away Double Sided Bed Rail - White, it is shorter, but I really don't think we're going to have an issue with the shorter version. I assembled it, it is nearly identical to the "Extra Long Version", aside from the length.. BUT IT ONLY HAS ONE SIDE OF STRAPS..

There is absolutely NO Difference outside of the fact that one has straps and the other does not on the dual version, so I do not see any reason why you couldn't, but again, THE MANUFACTURER VERBALLY WARNED AGAINST IT, SO PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MY STATEMENT AS APPROVAL FOR USING TWO ON THE SAME BED.

Good luck with your purchase, I hope I've helped with your purchasing decision.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 8:36 PM PDT

Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx (Prior Model)
Britax Frontier 85 SICT Booster Seat, Onyx (Prior Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Car Seat for my child - Wish they had more Color options, January 2, 2012
WE OWN TWO OF THESE SAME SEATS, THEY ARE FANTASTIC!

My husband was in charge of car seats, we each have our own duties with regards to our children, one of his is car seats, all things sports (I love sports, but my husband loves to be involved and in charge of this one), and MATH homework to name a few, mine are money, mommy time and researching important products before we make an actual purchase to name a few of my own.

We don't purchase any major items without thoroughly investigating them, including most importantly items for which our children's lives are at stake, sorry if that seems over-dramatized, it is what it is..

This car seat is fantastic, we went from a Chicco Keyfit to a Britax Roundabout 55 to a Britax Frontier SICT with our now 3 year old. All fantastic seats. When it comes to safety Britax is one of the highest rated car seats in it's class, maybe all classes of car seats. You can review a few pointers on choosing the right car seat for your child on the NHTSA's website under Car Seat Recommendations for Children

FITTING YOUR CHILD: Our daughter is in the 95% height and weight, she just turned 3 in a 4 or 5 year old's body, checks in at 42lbs at 40 inches tall, not stocky, just tall and looks older than she is, I'm hoping this wares off before she is a teen or interested in boys, anyhow, we have always sought after the seat that would last the longest because we knew we didn't have long in them, this was a Britax, Check, and it was up to 85 lbs Check CHECK..
Car seats expire after 5 years, or after ANY car accident where injuries or major damage incur.

SAFETY OPTIONS: The Britax as I said has very high over all safety ratings, so this was a no brainer. We had our eye on the Regular Britax Frontier, but when the SICT came out We quickly shifted our thinking. The 5 point harness is a must for smaller children, as your child grows the regular seat belt is easily utilized. The outstanding seat anchor latches are next generation (seat belt latch like) extremely easily used and snap in place, without wrestling, without braking a nail. The Rear/Top anchor Latch is a must, also very easily used.

FITTING YOUR CAR: We have a Jetta TDI, not specifically known for being a family car, it is a smaller 4-door sedan, so it was difficult for us to fit a car seat in it, I had no idea when I purchased the car the rear seating area was so tiny. We learned that we could go to just about any store that sold car seats and an employee would take the car seat to your car for a "Fitting". HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR ANY CAR.

STAINS & CLEANING: if you are concerned about stains, the Britax car covers come off (this one boasts how easy) and are completely washable and dry-able in conventional machines, and, at least with our machines, the cover comes out like new every time. There is not even any balling of the fabrics, or
degrading of the quality of the fabric. Just a quick mention of 2 of the worst stains out there for babies/toddlers and kiddos, the V word and D word, both come out without a semblance of the stain, nor odor of those two lovely facts of life. I would use the words, but who wants to read about vomit and diarrhea? There, I said it.. :)

NAP TIME: You may have noticed, some convertibles bring your child completely upright leaving them without any head support to nod off in the car, that is what they love to do, heck, my husband loves to nap in the car. Thankfully, the Frontier has mildly risen to this occasion, there is a little bit of a headrest for her to lean and take a snooze, but I'm sure if she remembered her carry type car seat fully reclined, made for napping she would miss it like nobody's business. Read the manual, adjust the seat to fit your kiddo and they should have plenty of head rest to nap.

My personal negatives on this seat, ranked in order from worst to just whining.

1) The Rubberized arm rests do get extremely hot in the summer, we are in Texas, this past summer was one of the hottest and driest on record, I would suggest throwing a blanket or towel over just the arm rests, hot enough can and will cause discomfort, even burning (not sure the degree, not a Dr and don't claim to be one).

2) Width, while we love the SICT, and we know our kiddo has to fit in it, there is not much room left in the back seat with her in the middle seat of our late model Jetta TDI, we feel badly when we have another adult sized person sit next to her, it's about 6 or 8 inches wider than the standard Britax Frontier 85 (which did expire in 8/2010).

3) Colors, Need more options, I loved cowmooflauge, it's not available in this seat, there are alas only 3 fabric options, Onyx, Red and Portabello, bleh on all three, what, do older kids not deserve cutesy anymore? we bought it for safety and reliability anyway. I need another for our other vehicle, BRITAX?? Gimme another more cutesy fabric option please..

We give the Britax Frontier 85 SICT 3 thumbs up

I began writing this in response to a reviewer who had, let's just say, ran around screaming the sky was falling about this car seat without REALLY knowing what they were referring to. I decided to move my comment to them to the bottom so that if you wish you may read my comment to them regarding some fabric scare. It makes for a longer read, but I felt I had to mention it because like a lot of false claims they detour people from purchasing products, or doing things they may have been better off doing.

------------
I post my comment here again to that reviewer: who is listed as the "vs" which gives them ample visibility to a review without merited warnings.

to "MM" 01/02/2012

There actually is NO MENTION OF THE BRITAX FRONTIER 85, or FRONTIER 85 SICT in this particular article you reference.

The chemical warning was for very Specific Britax Car seats, most were models 2009 and older, including some Graco Models, Recaro and other brands. I think it's remarkable that you've singled Britax out here, or did you?? Graco was mentioned on both the best and the worst, but somehow you have tried to lead us to believe that 2 models of Britax mean all are, or would like to portray this as being what the tests reveled, where in fact they did not.

The WARNING was for the following, word for word:

According to HealthyStuff's tests, they rated the worst seats as:

Infant Seat: Graco Snugride 35 in Edgemont Red/Black & Graco SnugRide 30 in Asprey
Convertible Seat: Britax Marathon 70 in Jet Set & Britax Marathon in Platinum (Retired as of 8/2010)
Booster Seat: Recaro Pro Booster in Blue Opal & Recaro ProSPORT Toddler in Misty

HealthyStuff listed the best seats as:

Infant Seat: Chicco KeyFit 30 in Limonata, Graco Snugride 35 in Laguna Bay & Combi Shuttle 33 in Cranberry Noche
Convertible Carseat: Graco Comfort Sport in Caleo, Graco MyRide 65 in Chandler and Streamer, Safety 1st OnSide Air in Clearwater, and Graco Nautilus Elite 3-in-1 in Gabe
Booster Seat: Graco Turbo Booster in Anders
The organization pointed out that it was unable to test for some toxic substances, such as bisphenol A or phthalates (although the presence of PVC is a likely indicator of phthalates).
-- END ARTICLE QUOTE --

Again, the reports were from OLDER CAR SEATS and SPECIFIC MODELS, DOWN TO THEIR SPECIFIC FABRIC OPTIONS. If you are concerned about purchasing this particular car seat I would encourage you to contact the manufacturer (BRITAX Consumer Services at 888-427-4829) and not put too much weight behind a novice's review who obviously strayed way off topic and who's business is MOST LIKELY NOT EVEN IN THE REALM OF CHILD SAFETY.

Remember you are putting your child's life and safety in the care of a product, whichever product you choose, the NTSB has time after time chosen Britax as an outstanding award winning manufacturer for child safety.

- No I do not work for Britax, or any manufacturer, I am a mom who thoroughly researches anything my child would use in situations that could be a potentially dangerous, and let's face it, the roads are no picnic for any of us. AND YES, We do own a Britax Frontier 85 SICT in Onyx, as well as a Britax Roundabout in Cowmooflauge, We previously owned a Roundabout in Tan which was replaced after an auto accident.
--------------

I hope this helped your purchasing decision! Make sure you go out and "test drive" the seat in your vehicle first before buying!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 4:46 PM PST

Nativity Advent Candleholder
Nativity Advent Candleholder
by Unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Beautiful, but has VERY SMALL CANDLE INSERTS, December 3, 2011
This is a beautiful Nativity Style High Gloss white and gold trim advent alternative to a traditional wreath, however, it does have it's drawbacks.

We ordered this in lieu of a traditional wreath, we also ordered a standard 12" tall Advent taper candles to go with it, which were advertised as "people who bought this also bought that" here on Amazon.

Standard Advent Size candles are much too large in diameter for the candle slots and I'm not sure they make candles in the US that fit this you can just run out and buy, I couldn't find any, and even if you could they aren't going to last the 4 weeks of Advent.

We ended up shaving down the ends of the traditional standard 12" tall taper candles so they would fit for the time being. We carried out the first week of Advent, for those of you new to Advent, or trying it again after a long time, with children it is so fun for everyone to have their own 'job' and each participate, in our family my husband lights, we alternate reading, all sing, and my daughter, 3, sings "Happy Birthday Jesus" and blows out the candles.

Anyway, I was extremely worried someone was going to break off the shaved down candle. SO, I ran out to Hobby Lobby with one of the tiny inserts that it came with to make sure the post of whatever would fit, I purchased 4 x 38mm Shiny Gold Colored Liberty style Bells with the loop on the top, First I removed the Tiny 1/4 inch original holder and I cut out the bell clapper in each bell with some snips, then hot glued each of them to the Advent Nativity holder, I may end up trying another adhesive for a more permanent fix.

It is beautiful, perfect fit. I did have to make a dent on one of the bells in order for it to curve around one of the characters. It now holds the standard 12" tall taper candles that will last a month, and even has a drip lip on each candle holder that is the Bell.

It is beautiful, it certainly will last a lot longer than a faux wreath, BUT the original candle holders are very small, not much larger than 1/4 inch wide, where a traditional Advent Candle is 1 inch, so be prepared to either shave the candle to fit or be crafty.

Hopefully that helped you with your purchase decision
Thanks for Reading.

Dr Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Party Favor Supply Loot Bags Treat Sacks 8 Count
Dr Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Party Favor Supply Loot Bags Treat Sacks 8 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Loot Bag!, November 23, 2011
This was a great loot bag, you cannot find ANY Dr Suess or Cat in the Hat Party Supplies anywhere where we live (they seem to not be popular enough to stock them) so this was a fantastic find for our daughter's 3rd Cat in the Hat birthday Party.

We were things ONE, TWO and SHE of course was THING 3 (worked perfect, she was turning 3), yes, there is NO actual THING 3 in the book, but you can buy anything on ebay and we did, bought Things 1,2 and 3 shirts for her Cat in the Hat party. Also had the Cat in the Hat HAT and bow tie.

Quality is great, fit the toys for the kids, didn't rip or rub the color off on your hands, some cheaper bags have done this in the past, lost it's coloring on surfaces or your hands, these don't. Not a lot to say about loot bags, they are what they say they are and they're hard to find locally anywhere.

Hope that helps you with your purchasing decision.

Thanks for reading!

Preschool Prep & Sight Words 7 DVD Pack (Meet the Letters, Meet the Numbers, Meet the Shapes, Meet the Colors, Meet the Sight Words 1, Meet the Sight Words 2, Meet the Sight Words 3)
DVD ~ Letters
Price: $69.65
5 used & new from $39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening for a little one, November 23, 2011
We have a now 3 year old daughter who at a very young age (1 and a half) showed interest (became obsessed) with the alphabet. A little bit of background, My son, now 18, was quite the opposite, rough and tumble, play hard and play harder.. My kids are polar opposites and her very early academic interest was something we weren't quite sure how to nurture and help develop without making it boring for her, her brother didn't show the same interests at her age although he does very well now in school.

She at 18 months old obviously was amazed by all things learned, alphabet was the first, 2 years came sight recognition, then phonics by 2 and a half, then came the song she still likes to change up. I realize most kids sing the song then the recognition, no, she was showing me which letters and numbers were which upper and lower case, then telling me "Ta" T, "Ah" A, "MMM" M and "Ka" K, well before the song in it's correct order came out of her little voice.

In the beginning of her fascination we purchased her foam letters, upper and lower case, a friend gave her Leap Frog's fridge alphabet with a number of 3 letter words, that didn't do more than give her letters in another form, wasn't interested just yet in spelling anything, just the letters, which were great, but not enough.

I asked her Pediatrician, he said hmmm, was amazed, he was also my son's Doctor since he was 6 hours old, 18 years before and since, so well familiar with both of them and our family. Said it is a rarity and a joy to see them interested with such intensity and to not force it, try and make it fun and of course read to her. Let her lead and try and give her the tools to show us what she wants to learn this early on. It's easy to push to hard and make it boring or to pressured, so have fun, let them have fun.

Well, so while searching and looking through 'tools' as per his advice we came upon numerous options, my baby can read *NO THEY CAN'T*, leap frog, word world, but not anything with this many levels and varieties of packages that we could afford. I would call this 7 DVD set the FIRST level, the 7 DVDs are where you start, they sell them in many forms, some with letters, numbers, shapes and colors, some with 2 DVDs, some with 3, 4 or this set which I thought the most economically affordable to gauge where we were at exactly, outside of the foam letters, obsession with "Word World" on PBS, and so on, of which this set includes Sight Words 1, 2 and 3 which is what I was really after.

We were past and familiar with the alphabet, shapes, colors and numbers. The Numbers DVD covers 1-10 only *This is my negative, needs to cover more than 10 numbers, 20 would be nice, 50 would be better, the concept of MORE than 10 is important, and in my opinion wasteful of your money to pay for just 10 numbers unless you have a year old child).

I will break it down based on her level
Letters - she knows them all and is bored by it because of it's length, it does say to break it up for children that do not know the letters, please understand she was past that, so if your child is not, please follow their advice and break it up into several sessions. We lent it out to a friend with a child 6 months younger, they love it.

Colors - loves this one, even though she knows them, this is entertaining and attractive to her.

Numbers - Boring - 1 through 10, not enough numbers for her, I wish they would have gone further with the numbers.

Shapes - Loves this one, same as the colors, she is entertained by this DVD

Sight words 1-3 are all as captivating as ever, she will watch any of them any time of day all day.

ANYHOW, the videos are not PIXAR quality, they are 2 dimensional and maybe 1980-1990 animation artwork technology, and yes, I was sincerely afraid my daughter would immediately bored. I popped in the first one I knew she knew which was Colors, she was mesmerized, stopped what she was doing and sat down. She knew the colors, but was engaged, much more than any time I'd seen her before in front of a TV show. So, we watched that video and sat down at the dinner table and I popped in Sight words 1, she was glued to it, I had to pause it several times to get her to eat her dinner, which she did, but was so into the experience she barely took her eyes off it. For weeks it was a several times a day thing, she began at about 34 months, and is now 3 and has mastered all of the sight words, she just turned 3, so in 2 months time she has learned every sight word. We can write most any Sight Word and she knows it, she tells us if it appears in a sign, or is on a shirt, in her books, it is amazing, barely 3, (3 years and 4 days old) my child is 'reading' sight words.

I can't give you a regiment as far as a schedule or how many times we watched each one, or how often, and realize when they tell you each experience for each child is different. My son most likely would NOT have had the same result at her age, different personalities, although, I couldn't tell you, he is 15 years older than her and he showed no interest in much more than playing, always running and full of energy. She is those things too, but she has a balance of wanting to learn and wanting to run and kick the soccer ball around.

Understand a very important basis of learning here is that the concept behind Sight Words is memorization, words you know by recognition, as with the Letters in the alphabet, or numbers, NOT by phonetically reading them, so please don't mistake the word 'reading' as actual reading.

The DVDs come with a built in flash card option, where you can use the flash cards on screen aside from playing the DVD beginning to end, and let them use their learned skills to test themselves. Show off what they've learned.

Aside from the DVDs we purchased the Sight Word Flash Cards, she is also obsessed with Flash Cards, these work well on the go and apart from the DVDs.

I just ordered the 3 Phonics DVDs that went on sale and will begin those after Christmas, as they are intended as gifts for the holiday for her. I am hopeful they produce results as well as the others.

I would say, if your child shows an interest I would thoroughly recommend first the foam letters, get both the upper and lower case, remove or separate the numbers to make sure they understand they are not one and the same, take out punctuation symbols (some believe it or not have punctuation in the sets). READ as much as you can to them, we just purchased a wonderful Dr Suess book full of 13 complete stories and his history "A Bakers Dozen", she loves his books, she loves reading, this set or this method as a way to nurture the interest and help them without intimidating or overwhelming them.

Hope that helps you with your purchasing decision.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2012 9:28 AM PST