Profile for Ken M > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 242

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Ken M RSS Feed (Oxnard, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
MegaWatt S-400-12x 36 Amps 430 Watts 9.5 to 15 Volts Adjustable Ham CB Radio Power Supply 13.8V 12V Not a China Clone Real MegaWatt MW

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for my 100W tranceivers, January 27, 2015
I am powering two different 12V, 100W, Amateur radio HF / VHF / UHF transceivers with this.

My previous power supply model was a 'cheap knock' off that claimed 30 amps, but burned out while I was drawing 15. On the 'cheap knock off', the lights on one of my panel meters would always flicker when I tuned 100 Watts (about 22 amps). This one is solid. Good clean power for a 12V radio.

The output voltage is adjustable from about 12.1 to 15 volts. Mine came set to the lower output voltage of 12.1 and I easily set it to 13.6 (my preferred voltage).

I keep learning this over and over, maybe some day it will stick, the cheap stuff isn't always cheap.

This one is the real deal.

KK6RBR

I had to add this. On the 'cheap knock off' model that I had, the fan only came on sometimes but loudly. On this one the fan appears to be always on but at a very low level (no noise). Thank you for that. :) I used to sometimes get up in the night wondering where the noise was coming from.

Yaesu ADMS-1J Programming Software on CD with USB Computer Interface Cable for FT-60R by RT Systems
Price: $45.89
3 used & new from $40.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it easy to set up and load channels into your radio, December 25, 2014
Makes configuring your radio a breeze. You can also store different channel configs on your computer and re-load your radio within minutes. You can set many of the radio's options with this software. This is my third ADMS software product and cable for my third type of Yaesu. They all work well on the different radios I have used them on. The cut and paste option is nice if you have different radios (you will need to buy the ADMS software for the individual type of radio).

The price seems a little high but the time it saves is well worth it. I would and do recommend this software and cable for anyone with a menu driven radio. This company makes different software versions for most popular Ham radios.

Yaesu ADMS-4B Programming Software on CD with USB Computer Interface Cable for FT-857D & FT-897D by RT Systems
Price: $45.89
3 used & new from $40.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a must have for the 857D, December 25, 2014
Easy install on my Win 7 64 bit machine. You do not need to be a computer wizard to set up and operate this software. I own several different Yaesu radios and have purchased the ADMS software for each one. A little expensive, but well worth it.
With this software you can easily set up memory 'channels' for different bands and modes. Many of the menu options can also be set up.
This company makes software for many popular radios and the software sets all seem to play nicely together I would recommend this software to anyone with a menu driven radio like the 857D.

Dual Band VHF / UHF Gain Base Station Antenna ANLI A-200 Amateur Radio
Dual Band VHF / UHF Gain Base Station Antenna ANLI A-200 Amateur Radio

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 Meter, 70 Cm, as well as GMRS. Good wide band antenna, December 21, 2014
Good wide band / dual band antenna. On a 1 meter mast above my roof top, fed with 50 feet of RG-8x, I measured the following with 5 watts:

70 CM @ 446.5 Mhz - 1.15:1 SWR
2M @ 146.5 MHZ - 1.2:1
MURS 1.8:1
GMRS 1.08:1

For UHF, the gain figure is more than enough to offset transmission line loss (I went cheap on the coax). Also, gain works both ways, so the RX is a better quality.

Your results may vary due to antenna height and local obstructions. For my rather poor installation, I am very happy with the results. I live in an area of Southern Cal with mountain top repeaters averaging 18 miles away. I only need 5 watts to hit all of those. What attracted me to this antenna was the gain figure. I wanted to be able to talk simplex to mobile and HT units. This is a good antenna for that. The GMRS coverage is an added bonus for me. I have a GMRS and Amateur Radio license.

Solarcon I-MAX 2000 CB/Ham Radio Base Station Vertical Antenna - 24'
Solarcon I-MAX 2000 CB/Ham Radio Base Station Vertical Antenna - 24'
Price: $115.49
10 used & new from $100.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 10 meter vertical, very good SWL RX for a Yaesu FT-450D, December 9, 2014
First off, this is one tall honking antenna. That being said, I put it up by myself in about 45 minutes. Two people would be better, it can be done with one. Right now it is mounted to the side of my wood frame single story house on a 15 foot pole. I am happy with the results. I will be modifying the mounting in the future.

I am a fairly new amateur radio operator. I have been a short-wave listener for decades. I was also an avid CB guy back in the day.
I purchased this mainly for use on 10 meters. On my 15 foot mounting pole, the SWR on about 28.3xx MHZ is absolutely flat with a 5 watt CW signal. At 100 watts the SWR meter will move a little to about 1.2:1. On 15 meters the SWR is about 1.3:1 with 25 watts.

With my MJF-945E antenna tuner, this thing is usable on 6 meters. I got a 1.4:1 SWR with a 25 watt CW tuning signal on 6 meters. The SWR started going up with the power after about 25 watts, my mounting location is a bit poor and I am guessing that my feed line was radiating.

The cool thing for me, is that this antenna does a heck of a job of pulling in 40 meter (and HF shortwave), if you just like to listen in. It is also a quiet antenna. I was a bit surprised at all of the 40 meter conversations I was hearing, and I did not need to use the radio's DNR. Below about 5 MHZ, the RX signal strength started dropping on my FT-450D.

I am completely happy with this buy.

Edit 12/25/2014:
The more I use this antenna on 10 meters, the more I am amazed by how well it works. When the band is open, it is an incredible antenna. I had a QSO from my Southern Cal location into Tokyo Japan yesterday with only 10 watts of TX power on USB. A few minutes later I was talking into Georgia (US) on 5 watts. My radio will not go any lower on transmit or I would have tried. I would have to guess that the lower radiation angle lets the signal hit the ionosphere at an optimum angle for a bounce.

#1 Falcon Off Center Fed 40-6 Meter Dipole Amateur Ham Radio Antenna
#1 Falcon Off Center Fed 40-6 Meter Dipole Amateur Ham Radio Antenna

5.0 out of 5 stars Good low visibility antenna, November 29, 2014
How well this tunes pretty much depends on how well it is put up. The science is there, I think most people (like me) just do not do a very good job of installing it. The height above ground and any angle on the radials will make a difference. Mine is strung out about 8 feet above the roof top and has about a 100 degree angle on the two radials. On 40 meters it is a perfect 1:1 match. I can tune it on all of the other bands, including 6 meters, with my MFJ-945E. Without the tuner, the antenna has too high of a SWR for transmitting anywhere but 40, at least in my installation.

I like it because it is mostly invisible to the casual observer. It is also relatively inexpensive. I am new to ham radio as a talker, long time listener. I have a 100 watt HF/6 meter and a 50 watt 2 meter rig. The base of the 2 meter antenna made a good mounting point for one of the legs on this antenna.

I would recommend this to anyone, like me, who wants the ability to work HF but cannot afford to or does not want to turn their home into an antenna farm. A good antenna tuner is something you will probably need if you plan to transmit more than a few watts.

Standard Horizon CD15A Desk Top Rapid Rate Charger Adapter
Standard Horizon CD15A Desk Top Rapid Rate Charger Adapter
Price: $38.98
2 used & new from $38.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Works good - needs external power source., November 15, 2014
Works good. You will be able to charge a battery separately from the radio, or just drop the YAESU radio in this.
This will need to have an accepted power source. It is not a charger, it is only a charging adapter.

Yaesu ADMS-2900 Programming Software on CD with USB Computer Interface Cable for FT-2900R by RT Systems
Price: $45.95

5.0 out of 5 stars ADMS-2900 Software and Cable for Yaesu FT-2900 - Worth the money., November 13, 2014
Excellent product for programming the FT-2900R. I had already programmed about two dozen channels with the front mic buttons before I got this. When I started this software up I quickly noticed that I had made mistakes on 2 of the channels. I ended up copying the channels I already had programmed into my VX-6 (with ADMS-VX6) and pasting the channels into my 2900R. Who-hoo! Easy.

Well worth the money. The cable fits well and appears well made. The software and drivers installed easily on my two Win-7 64bit PCs. The Win-7 device manager shows the actual name of the interface cable ('USB-29F' in this case) and not some generic chip set name.

The software also allows you to set menu items, such as programmable button assignment,

The box says this will work on XP(SP3), Win-7(32 or 64) and Win 8 (full version). I can only speak for Win-7/64.

Works good.

Dual Band VHF / UHF Gain Base Station Antenna ANLI A-100 Amateur Radio
Dual Band VHF / UHF Gain Base Station Antenna ANLI A-100 Amateur Radio
Price: $69.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Good multi-band antenna - not an too ugly on the roof - mine was black, November 8, 2014
I have a GMRS license and radio, and plan to have an amateur technician class license in a few weeks, which was the reason for this purchase.

I own a Yaesu FT-2900R that is currently being used as an excellent VHF scanner, while waiting on the license exam.
A local ham operator, who is currently serving as my mentor, also helped me do some of the following VSWR measurements, interesting results.
VSWR measured with a MFJ-874 meter. The antenna is only mounted 1 foot above roof top. Fifty feet of RG-8x cable feed line. We used a 5 Watt TX power setting for the tests.
2 Meter at 146.550 = 1.1 : 1
70 Centimeter at 446.520 = 1.15:1

At my request we also tested some of my current radios.
GMRS at about 462.5 = 1.15:1
MURS at about 151.8 = 1.4:1

This antenna has a fairly wide bandwidth. It also makes an excellent scanner receive-only antenna for the VHF bands.
I wanted a low profile antenna that I could use on 2 meters without scaring the neighbors. This one made me happy. Hit a 2-Meter repeater, 18 miles away and get a Q5, with 5 watts. That is all I need.

enjoy

Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio
Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio
Price: $203.95
11 used & new from $185.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent VHF Scanner - Plenty of power for 2 meters, November 1, 2014
I have owned some high priced VHF scanners in the past. If you can live with FM only on 136-174 MHZ, this one beats them all for sound quality and RF sensitivity.

This unit has plenty of power for 2 meters. I often use it as a base and seldom need to use more than the low 5 watt power setting. All in all, a good sounding radio.

This unit has 200 channel memories and 8 different 'banks' so that you can organize different banks for scanning. It also has 10 different VFO scan limit settings that can be stored and recalled for scanning.

The manual is written in actual, understandable, English. This unit has a lot of features, so, you will need to read and comprehend a bit. There are still some items that I will be exploring.

I am currently using a dual band 2 meter / 70 centimeter mobile antenna that is mounted on an eve of my roof. As a RX scanner antenna, this works very well. I purchased a 30 Ampere power supply so that I can use this on my desk top as a base unit and have enough power to transmit.

This unit just feels good in your hand, the vol, squelch, and 'tune' knobs feel comfortable in my clumsy fingers.

I would definitely recommend this radio to anyone who has a HAM license. The features / price are super.

Enjoy.