Profile for Wiiviewer > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2041

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Wiiviewer RSS Feed (San Diego, CA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Con Job (A Leverage Novel)
The Con Job (A Leverage Novel)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars It feels like a rejected episode idea...or a bad fan fiction attempt, December 9, 2014
The book is about the team taking down a crooked comic book auction seller. They go to comic con and crazyness follows.

This feels like fan fiction. There are so many "wink wink nudge nudge" moments I wanted the throw up. When an author does that you know they are truly a bad writer.

For example. Chaos shows up, and he wants to meet up with Wil Weaton from Star Trek. You can feel the author jabbing you in the chest saying, "I am so clever!!"

It's just obnoxious. Skip this book

Hauppauge - HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition High Definition Game Capture Device
Hauppauge - HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition High Definition Game Capture Device
Price: $152.99
42 used & new from $109.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Used it for WiiU reviews...and it works eventually, December 13, 2012
I needed a new HD capable video capture device. I have used my dazzle for 5 years to do Wii reviews and it has been fantastic. In fact if Dazzle ever comes out with a capture device for HDMI I will be the first in line to buy it.

I needed it to do WiiU reviews. I plugged it in and it worked perfectly, for about a minute. Then it crashed my Wii U and I needed to unplug the WiiU to get it to work again. I thought maybe it was a fluke. Nope. Happen time after time. What I realized is that the input/output on Hauppauge HD PVR 2 while it does work, it over heats the thing REALLY FAST.

I didn't give up though! I figured if I took the load off the capture device it might work better. So I bought a 2 output HDMI splitter, and it worked like a charm. If you buy this...buy a HDMI splitter. Trust me you will need it!

The other problem I had was it's very limited recording options. It's only lets you record in m2ts, ts, or mp4. I would have preferred more options like .mpg or even .wmv.

The recording itself looks great. It looks just like what you see on the screen, and I had no problems with the sound not synced up.

Its worth a buy if you are willing to go the extra mile and get the HDMI splitter, and don't mind limited recording options.

*UPDATED REVIEW*

It's been a couple months and I am still going to give it 4 stars. Another problem I found was it doesn't let you make a file name. It uses the date and time, and I find that annoying since I play lots of games in a day and it's hard for me to keep track of which game is in which file.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2013 8:03 PM PST

The Key To The Kingdom
The Key To The Kingdom
by Jeff Dixon
Price: $12.59
50 used & new from $4.30

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the Hidden Mickey books you will LOVE this book!, May 16, 2012
This review is from: The Key To The Kingdom (Paperback)
The story is about a preacher who's friend gives him a mysterious key and a riddle. Then his friend disappears so he figures if he can solve his riddle he can find his friend. Instead he finds more clues and people who want to stop him from solving the riddle.

What I loved about this book was it mainly kept the action at the disney parks. I did find it a bit strange some of the clues locations were in places that without any help he should have never been able to get to. Security should have been on him way sooner then they were in the book.

I really like the sense of time in the book. The main character really needs to finish this puzzle some what quickly because the longer it goes on the harder it will be for him.

The whole thing feels like it should have been a movie that we would have seen on the "Wonderful World of Disney". It had the feel of a made for tv disney movie. That's not a bad thing! It would have been perfect family friendly film.

The only problem with it was the ending. It was dumb. It had the same problem as the hidden mickey series. It tried to make too much a backstory to walt's life. Can it just be that Walt Disney was just a wonderful man who made a fantastic park? Do there really have to be people who want to destroy it?

I do need to address the question if this is basically the same concept as the Hidden Mickey series. The answer is yes and no. They are both about people finding hidden clues at the disney parks...but that's about it. This book I think was written way better then any of the HM books. It keeps a great pace to the action and doesn't bog down the action with insane plot devices.

If you liked any of the Hidden Mickey series of books then trust me you will love this book!

Hidden Mickey 5: Chasing New Frontiers
Hidden Mickey 5: Chasing New Frontiers
Price: $10.71
35 used & new from $6.68

2.0 out of 5 stars The most boring of the series...,, May 16, 2012
I have now read every book in this series and I have to say flat out this is the WORST of them.

The story is about a two people who find a wallet of a person who stole a lot of money from the park 40 years earlier. He hid it somewhere in the park and the clues left in the wallet set these two people off on an adventure to find it.

That plot actually sounds interesting, and I have to admit I was looking forward to it but the actual plot doesn't start up until the halfway point of the book. Until then you get to read page after page of this love story between these two characters. It was so tedious. There was more then once where I almost gave up on the book because it was so dull. The only good parts in the first half of the book was the parts with Nathan in it. He was actually doing something!

The second half wasn't much better. All the movement on the plot moved at a glazer pace. It would be like a couple pages of story and 20-30 pages of "romance".

This book has every bad thing the authors have been doing for the past four books. TOO MUCH DETAIL! I know that might not sound like a bad thing, but trust me since I have read this thing it can get frustratingly boring. They will go into detail about every little thing. I was surprised that they didn't tell us when the characters went to the bathroom or read their mail.

For example: There was a point in the story where there is a paragraph where the main character had to do a Uturn because there wasn't any parking on one side of the road. WHO CARES!? What does this have to do with anything?! I don't blame the authors completely, their editor should have actually edited this book. If he did I can't even imagine what he cut out.

The author was trying so hard for us to care about the main characters by putting in every detail of their romance it turned me off them.

As for the treasure hunt itself it was extremely predictable. I knew where it was going to be hidden, and where the gem was going to be hidden before it happened. It was just so obvious.

One last thing...I had some problems mixing up the characters in this one. In the 3rd book a gardener steals Mr Disney's red diamond, and in this book a gardener steals Mr Disney's red diamond. They both learn about the red diamond the exact same way, and steal it the same way. They both get $100,000...everything was just too similar. I thought almost the whole way though the first half that they were telling the story of the first gardener. It shocked me when they made a passing reference to him, and said I can't believe it was stolen again.

Why are so many gardeners at Disneyland thieves? Couldn't the authors have come up with a new idea instead of re-treading an old one?

I like the hidden mickey series. So I was shocked on how boring this one really was. I see all the 5 star reviews and I have no idea what they were reading. It was awful. If the editor had done his job and cut out most of the unneeded pages the book would be 150 pages long.

I gave it two stars because once the treasure hunt actually started (60% mark I would say), it was okay. They stopped focusing on the romance of the main characters and developed the razor thin plot they came up with.

If you want to read a really good one in this series read the 1st or 2nd book. They were more fun. You will still notice a few dull detail full chapters (car show!), but the plot is more fulfilling in those books.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

Hidden Mickey 5: Chasing New Frontiers (Hidden Mickey Series)
Hidden Mickey 5: Chasing New Frontiers (Hidden Mickey Series)
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The most boring of the series..., February 1, 2012

Hidden Mickey 3 Wolf!: The Legend of Tom Sawyer's Island
Hidden Mickey 3 Wolf!: The Legend of Tom Sawyer's Island
by Nancy Temple Rodrigue
Price: $13.80
14 used & new from $5.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Time travel, and more insane things..., December 12, 2011
This is the book where things go from realistic to insane. Would it have killed the author to just stay in the land of the sane, and leave the sci-fi BS to a series where it makes sense.

The book is about a time traveling security guard who has to protect Walt Disney's doctor by sending him to an alternate universe more dangerous then the world he was living in. I will let you sink in the plot for a second...

...The book is about Walt Disney's magical red diamond being stolen and the being ransomed for $100,000. The thief threatens Mr Disney's doctor in the random note and they decide they need to hide him.

He takes the doctor back in time/universe. To protect him. Also the protection is just overkill. Heaven forbid you just hide him in Hawaii, or Florida. No let's send him to a backwater time where it's more likely he will die from diseases in that time. OH! and let's forget about him for 30+ years. When he does return he is supposed to be grateful that he is home, but it's 30+ years later. His family is dead, he will never see him parents or friends again, but Walt Disney is more important then them. What a selfish pr!ck!

Wolf the time traveling security guard is at least interesting and complex, so that's a big plus to the normal characters the authors of this series has written. Also, Wals was a good character as well. The problem was the story was SOOOOOOOOO boring. Disneyland was only a backdrop for the the main action. I have never given up on a book, but one got close quite a few times.

There is a few clues to solve, because the thief of the diamond loves to leave hidden mickey clues as much as as Walt did. Does it make sense that a guy who wants to make $100,000 would make it hard for the people who are paying him his money to give it to him. No. It's like if I told my phone company...if you want this money you will need to solve this riddle. "What is red and white and tastes like peppermint, you will find the money under that tree 3 feet down" It's ridiculous!

This story is more like the backstory for the 4th book, which is better then this one...but if you can't stand the time traveling/universe hopping concept you won't like that one either. This one is not like 1st or 2nd book so if you liked those you will be disapointed in this one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2014 10:15 PM PDT

Hidden Mickey 2: It All Started
Hidden Mickey 2: It All Started
22 used & new from $2.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Better, but still some problems., December 12, 2011
Did Walt Disney ever do anything but write up clues and place them all over the place? You have to wonder when he had time to even come up with Disney World when he was so busy hiding clues, and keeping them safe. However, this is the story of what if he did it again. This time Lance needs to team up with a mysterious security guard, and the daughter of one of the keepers of hidden mickeys.

The clues this time mostly kept them in the park, and I liked the fact they were in there. I could relate more to the action, and I thought the adventure this time was more fun.

When I reviewed the first book I ripped on the authors for not having an antagonist to drive the action. I think the authors heard the anger from the people who read the book and added one into this one. The problem is the guy is written very badly. He comes off like a cartoon bad guy, with not one bit of realistic tendency at all. I'm surprised the writers didn't have him clubbing baby seals while screaming "I AM EVIL!" Was he a threat during the story. Sure, but you never take him seriously, worse yet he is in the 3rd book as well and it's just as stupid. The author eventually learns how to write an antagonist in the 4th book, but it's a character already established so it's hard for her to screw it up.

This story had less chapters I would have cut or trimmed which was good. That being said the whole Vegas trip could have been shorten to 3-4 pages...and I think we would have got reaction from it.

I do have to say this is the book where things so from plausible to silly. There is time travel in it, and mystical rock that can show you your future. All of this stuff should have been thrown out, and they should have kept the realism of the story alive.

I did like this book better because the clues were more based in Disneyland, and the characters were better written. This one is better then the first one, but you really should read the first one first. It's not necessary but it will make more sense.

HIDDEN MICKEY: Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales! - The Action-adventure Mystery novel about Walt Disney (Hidden Mickey, volume 1)
Price: $13.38
29 used & new from $5.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept... badly written., December 12, 2011
When I first heard plot of this book (National Treasure type of treasure hunt at Disneyland), I was very excited to read it. The basic idea of the book is great, but the writers needed to take a lot more time refining it. The truth is they wrote the whole thing in three months, and it shows.

I liked the clues, and the locations the two main characters went to. Those were very clever, the problem comes with the fact there is NO ANTAGONIST. They just go just location to location basically doing what they need to do without any real problems. There is no drive to keep story moving, they kinda go at there own pace. What made National Treasure fun (both of them), was there was driving force and someone trying to stop them. When they do finally add an antagonist it's about 90% in and it makes no sense. When that person does show up they get rid of him/her 3 pages later...it's a joke.

Also, there is a major problem with dull parts of the book. One of the authors likes cars, and he/she (not sure which), spends a pointless chapter talking about cars just because the author likes them. I wish the editor of this book had sat that person aside and said no one cares about this crap, and we are cutting it out. Also the very beginning of the book should have been trimmed as well. They spend 10+ pages describing Disneyland like we have never been there. I guarantee if you picked up this book you have a good idea of what splash mountain is.

I have now read almost all the books in the series (so far), and I can tell you this one is the most realistic of all of them. What I mean is the next books bring in time travel, and mystical stones. So if you want to read a history of Walt Disney's early days told in a treasure hunt format you will like this book.

Barbie: Jet, Set & Style - Nintendo Wii
Barbie: Jet, Set & Style - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $19.99
46 used & new from $9.96

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay game for a VERY young child., November 3, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 4:51 Mins

This is an edited version of the review I did on YouTube. I review mainly lesser known 3rd party games, but I do it fairly, but with a sense of humor. To see more of my reviews go to the link in my profile.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2012 11:49 AM PST

Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - Nintendo Wii
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack - Nintendo Wii
Price: $40.37
41 used & new from $20.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kids game for the Wii., October 21, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 4:41 Mins

I review mostly 3rd party Wii games on my channel on YouTube. To see more of reviews click on the link in my profile.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2012 8:21 AM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7