Profile for bassgiraffe > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 205

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bassgiraffe RSS Feed (Waterloo, ON)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The House On the Corner
The House On the Corner
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's like a very strange dream, July 30, 2015
Chester was a normal teen, having a normal boring summer, that was until he was asked to run an errand to his uncle's house. Chester soon learns that his Uncle and the people who live with him have discovered a secret and are on a mission to save the world.

This book was full of sci-fi, strange happening and at times was hard to follow. I know that this book was some kind of parallel to the time when Christ came to the world, but it was very hard to get that picture. It wasn't my favorite book to read, HOWEVER, it was a book I couldn't put down. I felt like it was written like how my strange dreams happen. The kind of dreams that don't make sense but you don't want to wake up because you want to see how it will end. The book was just like this, and it ended like I woke up too soon and it made less sense.

This book wasn't in my taste but I think some out their will understand it and enjoy it. It's not a horrible book, it's just a crazy and strange book.

Crossing Into the Mystic (The Crossings Trilogy)
Crossing Into the Mystic (The Crossings Trilogy)
Price: $3.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps all the way, June 29, 2015
I LOVED this book. It was a book I didn't want to put down. I fell in love with the characters deeply and didn't want the book to end. Thankfully there is a second book in this series and I can't wait to start reading it. The author does an amazing job and painting a picture of the big beautiful home, the image of seeing the dead and the land around the house. It made me want to move to Marlowe, West Virginia of this book, sounds like a dream small town.

My only problem with this book is I started reading it just before bed. Before I knew who this dead man was I would get the creepy crawlies after turning the lights out. However, I call that a good thing. The author did their job at building up the suspense of the story. The goose bumps were real, the story felt real.

If you enjoy romantic, suspense, advantage type books I think you'd enjoy this book. I would put this on my summer MUST READ list. I can't wait to read book 2 and tell you all about it.
------------
was given a free copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.

Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City Romance (Follow Your Heart)
Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City Romance (Follow Your Heart)
by Melody Carlson
Price: $9.91
50 used & new from $5.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book- rushed ending, June 29, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. Except I didn't like the way ti ended. The last 5 pages felt rushed and left me wishing the book was longer. It really felt like the rest of the book was all about how good Anna would be at her job, then ending the book with them declaring their love for one another, and nothing else. I was expecting more from a romance book. I really fell in love with theses two characters. I wanted to see their relationship grow. I loved seeing them reach for their wishes and they come true. I also liked that the romantic parts were clean and a bit old fashioned.

This is a cute, quick read for your summer reading list. Although it felt rushed I'd still recommend this read. It's uplifting, carefree and fun.

Bash and the Chocolate Milk Cows
Bash and the Chocolate Milk Cows
by Burton W. Cole
Price: $7.61
42 used & new from $4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't look at chocolate milk the same, June 25, 2015
I've read the first two books in the Bash book series and have fallen totally in love with these books. I was so excited to have the opportunity to read the third book. I can say this, it didn't disappoint my expectations.

It's Spring break and Beamer is visiting his cousin Bash again on the farm. Problem is, Spring break falls around April 1st. If you've read any of the other Bash books you'd know that Bash seems to find trouble, manly from his crazy ideas. On top of April Fool's day, there is a robber on the loose and Beamer is worried he will run into him. From painted goats to cows with chocolate milk and Bashes idea of looking for the bad guy, poor Beamer is dragged into his cousin's crazy world. Beamer also learns more about what it means to be baptized and who Jesus was and what He did here on Earth.

This was another crazy adventure book. Let's just say I will never look at chocolate milk the same way again, nor do I think Bash and Beamer will either. I loved that we see Beamer who doesn't really understand the "Farmin' and Fishin'" (Bible) book is all about, learn more each day about what God's meaning is.

Even though they say the books are geared towards kids ages 8-12 I still really enjoy them. My 9 year old really loves these books too. She hasn't read book 3 yet but I know I'll hear her laughing out loud when she reads it. Of course I recommend this book, it's fun, clean, has good lessons and helps expand your imagination.

Pleasant Day
Pleasant Day
by Vera Jane Cook
Price: $13.95
14 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Many twists and turns, May 27, 2015
This review is from: Pleasant Day (Paperback)
This book started off very slow and I felt like it was bogged down with too much detail. However I decided to not give up on the book and I'm glad I didn't give up. In fact once I got into the book I couldn't put it down.

The book synopsis is below and I'll let you read that so I don't accidentally give any spoilers away. Basically the book follows a 15 year old girl named Pleasant Day. What she doesn't know is there are HUGE connections in her town to her, her friend's murder and someone from her past.

There are so many twists in this book that I had no clue what was going to happen next. I found myself talking out loud while reading, saying things like "you got to be kidding me" or "no way!". The author had a great way to make me think that one thing then switching it up to something I didn't expect.

I LOVED this book. I love the characters. I loved the storyline. I loved the ending. Even though I felt like there was too much details written, in the end I think it all helped me create a film in my mind. I could see this book in my head so well, that I was picturing which celebrity would please each character.

I would recommend this book to anyone age 18 or older. There are some sexual innuendos, swear words and violence in it. So please be advised.

Thank you Vera Jane Cook for making my nighttime dreams full of crazy, unpredictable adventures.

Samantha Sanderson Off the Record (FaithGirlz / Samantha Sanderson)
Samantha Sanderson Off the Record (FaithGirlz / Samantha Sanderson)
by Robin Caroll
Price: $8.89
66 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Many biblical lessons learned, May 19, 2015
I've read the first two books in the Samantha Sanderson faithgirlz! series and fell in love with these books from the start. Off the Record is another fun adventure pre-teen book.

In this book someone has tampered with the students' grades. Sam is asked to cover this story for her school's paper, mainly because her father is the police officer on the case. Sam's friend, Makayla, is a computer wiz and helps uncover who is behind the grade tampering. Sam learns to question her reporting ethics when one of her friends were accused of the crime and she knows it's not her. She also learns about loving your neighbor, even the ones not really your neighbors. So this includes an ex-friend at school.

This is another fun mystery story. There are great biblical lessons learned throughout the book including- forgiveness, kindness and loving the unlovable.

I said this before, I can't wait for more books in their series. I've given these book to my 9 year old and hope she loves these stories as much as I do. These are books I know my children can read and get good things from, plus it will help their imagination soar.

Finding Me
Finding Me
by Kathryn Cushman
Price: $9.91
64 used & new from $4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Drew me in., April 30, 2015
This review is from: Finding Me (Paperback)
This book started off slow but after the first 100 pages it got really really good. It was so good that I found myself reading way too late at night. I wanted to find out what Kelli discovers about her family. I wanted to know if she would tell her long lost family about her secret. I wanted to see if she would overcome the fears she has. Once I got to know the characters and the story line I couldn’t stop reading. The author does a great job at pulling me into this story and making me feel the emotions they all feel.

There is mystery, adventure, romance, family time and Christian values. The thing I like the most about this book is the relationship between Kelli and Kenmore. Kenmore was her father’s old friend. Kenmore figures out who she is right away and tries to help her understand where God was when all this happened and to understand what God would want her to do. He quotes many Bible verses and shares his own personal stories. It’s a sweet relationship, almost like he’s her uncle.

I would recommend this story for anyone looking for a cute faith filled book. The only thing I was sad about was when it ended. I wanted to see the relationships build more.
--------------
Received a book for free for my honest opinion.

Lethal Beauty (A Mia Quinn Mystery)
Lethal Beauty (A Mia Quinn Mystery)
by April Henry
Price: $20.17
75 used & new from $10.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint, April 14, 2015
This is the third book I've read in the Mia Quinn series. I'm in love with these stories and really love the characters in them. We have Mia, Gabe (her son), Broke (her daughter), Charlie (her co-worker and love interest)) and Eli (another co-worker and love interest). It's all done in a fast paced, legal, murder mystery, love story, Christian book.
The level a depth in this book is awesome and mind twisting. I love it! I also love that Mia is searching even harder for who God is and what He will be doing with her life. The author's have done another great job at painting the picture through words. I said it before and I'll say it again, these books need to become movies or a TV series. The images pop out through the writing. I can't wait for the next book! I hope to see more of Mia finding God. And I hope to see her find love again.
--------------
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

The Story of King Jesus
The Story of King Jesus
by Benjamin Irwin
Price: $10.31
44 used & new from $8.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to expain the Bible with kids, April 11, 2015
We loved reading through this book together as a family. It's only 48 pages long and is easy to read together in one night and still have time to talk through what we read and learned. We've also broken it up in sections and read through it and had a good discussion. My oldest (9 years old) can read this by herself or to her sister and likes reading it.

I think this would be a great book in every Christian home and in the church library. It's a great way to talk about the Bible in a simpler way for kids to understand and not be overwhelmed with too many details.
(received book for free for my honest opinion.)

Spy, Interrupted: The Waiting Wife
Spy, Interrupted: The Waiting Wife
by T. Dasu
Price: $13.09
19 used & new from $8.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dreamy romance, adventure book, March 10, 2015
This book is full of mystery, action and romance. It's a fanciful romance, that even though it could never happen like this in real life, it still drags you in and makes you wish you were Nina, swept off your feet in love for a true hero.

From page 1 to page 333 I was pulled in. When I wasn't reading this book I was dreaming in this book. At times I was Nina, other times I was one of Nina's friends watching the story from a distance. The author did an excellent job at painting the pictures and characters in this story. The imagery worked, my favorite part was at the beginning of the book when Stephan took Nina on a sailboat ride, I could feel the sun on my face and the wind in my hair (It really made me want it to be summer right now).

I would recommend this book to readers ages 18+. Someone who like a good romance and action book rolled into one.
----------
I was given a free copy for my honest opinion of this book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20