Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Fidlar $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Profile for bassgiraffe > Reviews

Browse

bassgiraffe's Profile

Customer Reviews: 207

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

bassgiraffe RSS Feed (Waterloo, ON)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Curse of Crow Hollow
The Curse of Crow Hollow
by Billy Coffey
Price: $11.28
56 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of goosebumps and twists, August 6, 2015
I'll start out by saying I a HUGE fan of Billy Coffey's books and writing. He knows how to twist the mind and incorporate a godly perspective to each book. I've been reading books in his Mattingly series but was looking forward to this new book/new town to explore and learn more about the town folk.

When I was done with this book I said to my self, "I think I'll stick to the town of Mattingly, Crow Hollow is a place no man should visit." I had more goose bumps than I could count while reading this story. I loved it. The ending is even more twisted than I imagined. My poor family had to hear me saying things like, "NO NO NO!!" or "You got to be kidding me" or "wow! I wasn't expecting that." This book left me wondering how a people who say they believed in God could be so hypocritical. I don't want to give anything away but at one point the someone was accused of causing this curse on the town because they chose to help someone in need.

I do look forward to more books about Mattingly, but I wouldn't mind another book about Crow Hollow, maybe go back to before Alvaretta's husband dies.

This is a darker book then other Billy Coffee books, so if dark things bother you I've given you this warning. I would like to say he's the Stephen King of the Christian books. Just enough twisted and creepy to give you strange dreams but also a hint of God's light in it as well.

The Looney Experiment
The Looney Experiment
by Luke Reynolds
Price: $9.89
43 used & new from $6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fell in love with the characters, August 6, 2015
This review is from: The Looney Experiment (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book. I felt my emotions go with the flow of the book. I liked that Atticus is your not so normal teen, yet really is. He’s the easy target for bullies. The end he fights for what is right and the bully does not win. Things may not have fully gone the way I hoped at the end, but the good guy won and that is all that counts.

This book is a lesson on how to be strong and stand up for yourself. It also address bullying and what to do in the case of it. There is also a parallel to a father in the book, the teacher and God, as well as a parallel of To Kill a Mocking Bird and Atticus from that book.

I really hope there will be more books with Atticus and his classmates, I fell in love with these characters and how the story was written.

The House On the Corner
The House On the Corner
Price: $3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars It's like a very strange dream, July 30, 2015
Chester was a normal teen, having a normal boring summer, that was until he was asked to run an errand to his uncle's house. Chester soon learns that his Uncle and the people who live with him have discovered a secret and are on a mission to save the world.

This book was full of sci-fi, strange happening and at times was hard to follow. I know that this book was some kind of parallel to the time when Christ came to the world, but it was very hard to get that picture. It wasn't my favorite book to read, HOWEVER, it was a book I couldn't put down. I felt like it was written like how my strange dreams happen. The kind of dreams that don't make sense but you don't want to wake up because you want to see how it will end. The book was just like this, and it ended like I woke up too soon and it made less sense.

This book wasn't in my taste but I think some out their will understand it and enjoy it. It's not a horrible book, it's just a crazy and strange book.

Crossing Into the Mystic (The Crossings Trilogy)
Crossing Into the Mystic (The Crossings Trilogy)
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps all the way, June 29, 2015
I LOVED this book. It was a book I didn't want to put down. I fell in love with the characters deeply and didn't want the book to end. Thankfully there is a second book in this series and I can't wait to start reading it. The author does an amazing job and painting a picture of the big beautiful home, the image of seeing the dead and the land around the house. It made me want to move to Marlowe, West Virginia of this book, sounds like a dream small town.

My only problem with this book is I started reading it just before bed. Before I knew who this dead man was I would get the creepy crawlies after turning the lights out. However, I call that a good thing. The author did their job at building up the suspense of the story. The goose bumps were real, the story felt real.

If you enjoy romantic, suspense, advantage type books I think you'd enjoy this book. I would put this on my summer MUST READ list. I can't wait to read book 2 and tell you all about it.
------------
was given a free copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.

Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City Romance (Follow Your Heart)
Once Upon a Summertime: A New York City Romance (Follow Your Heart)
by Melody Carlson
Price: $10.39
60 used & new from $1.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book- rushed ending, June 29, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. Except I didn't like the way ti ended. The last 5 pages felt rushed and left me wishing the book was longer. It really felt like the rest of the book was all about how good Anna would be at her job, then ending the book with them declaring their love for one another, and nothing else. I was expecting more from a romance book. I really fell in love with theses two characters. I wanted to see their relationship grow. I loved seeing them reach for their wishes and they come true. I also liked that the romantic parts were clean and a bit old fashioned.

This is a cute, quick read for your summer reading list. Although it felt rushed I'd still recommend this read. It's uplifting, carefree and fun.

Bash and the Chocolate Milk Cows
Bash and the Chocolate Milk Cows
by Burton W. Cole
Price: $7.45
48 used & new from $4.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Won't look at chocolate milk the same, June 25, 2015
I've read the first two books in the Bash book series and have fallen totally in love with these books. I was so excited to have the opportunity to read the third book. I can say this, it didn't disappoint my expectations.

It's Spring break and Beamer is visiting his cousin Bash again on the farm. Problem is, Spring break falls around April 1st. If you've read any of the other Bash books you'd know that Bash seems to find trouble, manly from his crazy ideas. On top of April Fool's day, there is a robber on the loose and Beamer is worried he will run into him. From painted goats to cows with chocolate milk and Bashes idea of looking for the bad guy, poor Beamer is dragged into his cousin's crazy world. Beamer also learns more about what it means to be baptized and who Jesus was and what He did here on Earth.

This was another crazy adventure book. Let's just say I will never look at chocolate milk the same way again, nor do I think Bash and Beamer will either. I loved that we see Beamer who doesn't really understand the "Farmin' and Fishin'" (Bible) book is all about, learn more each day about what God's meaning is.

Even though they say the books are geared towards kids ages 8-12 I still really enjoy them. My 9 year old really loves these books too. She hasn't read book 3 yet but I know I'll hear her laughing out loud when she reads it. Of course I recommend this book, it's fun, clean, has good lessons and helps expand your imagination.

Pleasant Day
Pleasant Day
by Vera Jane Cook
Price: $13.95
17 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Many twists and turns, May 27, 2015
This review is from: Pleasant Day (Paperback)
This book started off very slow and I felt like it was bogged down with too much detail. However I decided to not give up on the book and I'm glad I didn't give up. In fact once I got into the book I couldn't put it down.

The book synopsis is below and I'll let you read that so I don't accidentally give any spoilers away. Basically the book follows a 15 year old girl named Pleasant Day. What she doesn't know is there are HUGE connections in her town to her, her friend's murder and someone from her past.

There are so many twists in this book that I had no clue what was going to happen next. I found myself talking out loud while reading, saying things like "you got to be kidding me" or "no way!". The author had a great way to make me think that one thing then switching it up to something I didn't expect.

I LOVED this book. I love the characters. I loved the storyline. I loved the ending. Even though I felt like there was too much details written, in the end I think it all helped me create a film in my mind. I could see this book in my head so well, that I was picturing which celebrity would please each character.

I would recommend this book to anyone age 18 or older. There are some sexual innuendos, swear words and violence in it. So please be advised.

Thank you Vera Jane Cook for making my nighttime dreams full of crazy, unpredictable adventures.

Samantha Sanderson Off the Record (FaithGirlz / Samantha Sanderson)
Samantha Sanderson Off the Record (FaithGirlz / Samantha Sanderson)
by Robin Caroll
Price: $8.89
65 used & new from $2.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Many biblical lessons learned, May 19, 2015
I've read the first two books in the Samantha Sanderson faithgirlz! series and fell in love with these books from the start. Off the Record is another fun adventure pre-teen book.

In this book someone has tampered with the students' grades. Sam is asked to cover this story for her school's paper, mainly because her father is the police officer on the case. Sam's friend, Makayla, is a computer wiz and helps uncover who is behind the grade tampering. Sam learns to question her reporting ethics when one of her friends were accused of the crime and she knows it's not her. She also learns about loving your neighbor, even the ones not really your neighbors. So this includes an ex-friend at school.

This is another fun mystery story. There are great biblical lessons learned throughout the book including- forgiveness, kindness and loving the unlovable.

I said this before, I can't wait for more books in their series. I've given these book to my 9 year old and hope she loves these stories as much as I do. These are books I know my children can read and get good things from, plus it will help their imagination soar.

Finding Me
Finding Me
by Kathryn Cushman
Price: $9.86
60 used & new from $4.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Drew me in., April 30, 2015
This review is from: Finding Me (Paperback)
This book started off slow but after the first 100 pages it got really really good. It was so good that I found myself reading way too late at night. I wanted to find out what Kelli discovers about her family. I wanted to know if she would tell her long lost family about her secret. I wanted to see if she would overcome the fears she has. Once I got to know the characters and the story line I couldn’t stop reading. The author does a great job at pulling me into this story and making me feel the emotions they all feel.

There is mystery, adventure, romance, family time and Christian values. The thing I like the most about this book is the relationship between Kelli and Kenmore. Kenmore was her father’s old friend. Kenmore figures out who she is right away and tries to help her understand where God was when all this happened and to understand what God would want her to do. He quotes many Bible verses and shares his own personal stories. It’s a sweet relationship, almost like he’s her uncle.

I would recommend this story for anyone looking for a cute faith filled book. The only thing I was sad about was when it ended. I wanted to see the relationships build more.
--------------
Received a book for free for my honest opinion.

Lethal Beauty (A Mia Quinn Mystery)
Lethal Beauty (A Mia Quinn Mystery)
by April Henry
Price: $20.33
88 used & new from $8.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't disappoint, April 14, 2015
This is the third book I've read in the Mia Quinn series. I'm in love with these stories and really love the characters in them. We have Mia, Gabe (her son), Broke (her daughter), Charlie (her co-worker and love interest)) and Eli (another co-worker and love interest). It's all done in a fast paced, legal, murder mystery, love story, Christian book.
The level a depth in this book is awesome and mind twisting. I love it! I also love that Mia is searching even harder for who God is and what He will be doing with her life. The author's have done another great job at painting the picture through words. I said it before and I'll say it again, these books need to become movies or a TV series. The images pop out through the writing. I can't wait for the next book! I hope to see more of Mia finding God. And I hope to see her find love again.
--------------
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20