Profile for Linda M. Burrell > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 20

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Linda M. Burrell RSS Feed (Berkeley, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
International Night: A Father and Daughter Cook Their Way Around the World *Including More than 250 Recipes*
by Mark Kurlansky
Price: $20.88
65 used & new from $11.33

2.0 out of 5 stars He Should of Done the Math, August 25, 2014
I was really excited to hear about this book, since we serve food from a different country every Friday night for Shabbat guests. We go through the alphabet and i was looking forward to some inspiration and ideas as well as recipes I could adapt to suit Kosher requirements and provide for a vegan option as well. Obviously i didn't expect the book to conform to religious dietary restrictions. After 24 years of Fridays I'm adept at adaptations and substitutions. However, this book was not useful, even without the need to adapt or substitute.

First, and foremost all the menus and recipes are designed to serve THREE. The author's excuse is that's the number in his family and he hates doing math. Excuse me, but he's writing a book for sale, not a private reference. He could have, should have hired someone to do the math. Adapting from 3 to serve even a table of 4 or 8, both fairly common in recipe collections won't be fun for the home chef. If it's tedious for a professional, it will be even more challenging and tedious for the home cook the book was apparently designed for.
Second, why so much pork and lamb and so little beef and chicken? And so many exotic fish. All this adds up to unnecessary expense with few suggestions for substitutions. We make bastilla, both chicken and vegan versions frequently. Chef Kurlanksy specifies pigeon with squab or quail the only suggested options!!

The book also is very skimpy in the area of salads and vegetables, even when the menus are from cuisines that emphasize vegetables, including salads.

The difficulty with designing a cookbook around recipes that serve three is dramatized when you take a look at the dessert recipes. They are often composed of eggs, milk and sugar. Simple math reveals that serving 4 or 6 people rather than 3, would in a number of cases required from 6-12 eggs and more sugar than most of us are comfortable using today. (Some dessert recipes may actually make more than 3 servings, but this information is not revealed.) In fact, none of the recipes in the book indicate number of servings. You won't find out that the book is designed around recipes serving three unless you carefully read the preface. This is likely to result in many unpleasant surprises for the unsuspecting.

Finally, the book does not actually include recipes from 26 different counties, or even aspiring countries. In a number of cases he has simply used regions or areas, for example Cornwall, Brittany, and Aquitaine that have not had such aspirations for centuries. It's one thing to include Kurdistan and Quebec in order to broaden the choices, but Naples and Emilia-Romagna!!

I'm sure that the chef and his daughter had a delightful time cooking and eating; I wish I could recommend this book to others who are interested in exploring international cuisines, but I can't.

Colonial Needle Twin Point Stab Stitch Needles, Size 10, 3-Pack
Colonial Needle Twin Point Stab Stitch Needles, Size 10, 3-Pack
Offered by -Supermart
Price: $4.44
4 used & new from $4.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Take a Stab at this Product, July 2, 2014
I'm teaching myself to hand quilt and this innovative needle is helping me learn the "stab stitch method. Two pointed ends are not a problem. i have yet to stab myself!! Learning to keep the stitches straight will take a while, but this needle makes the process simpler.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2014 8:16 PM PDT

Mediterranean Grains and Greens: A Book of Savory, Sun-Drenched Recipes
Mediterranean Grains and Greens: A Book of Savory, Sun-Drenched Recipes
by Paula Wolfert
60 used & new from $5.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Works, June 16, 2014
This is a vintage 1998 cook book ahead of its time in emphasizing a variety of grains and greens. Even more useful now that so many more greens are available and the value of the Mediterranean diet is more widely recognized as an excellent way to enjoy life and maintain health.

Everyday Vegan Eats: Family Favorites from My Kitchen to Yours
Everyday Vegan Eats: Family Favorites from My Kitchen to Yours
by Zsu Dever
Price: $15.11
48 used & new from $11.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy, very Good, May 16, 2014
Full disclosure: I was one of the testers for this collection. And, boy and I proud of the results of our collective work. These recipes are simple enough that they have appealed to a friend who wants to eat more healthfully, but doesn't like to cook and is not interested in following complex recipes. They are delicious enough to stand up to skeptics and critics of vegan cooking. The egg free egg salad is not only as tasty as the egg version, it's also much easier to get right. No overcooked greenish or under cooked mushy yolk to worry about. (Do invest in the "black salt" suggested. It's pricey, but so little is used in any recipe that you'll have it on hand for a long time. Available through Amazon.)

My husband still gets dreamy eyed when i mention the tater tot casserole. (We used kosher organic versions, so the meal was a bit more expensive, but well worth it. The scampi pasta with asparagus and walnuts makes a lovely light lunch. You may want to experiment with green beans when asparagus is out of season.

Bottom line: Buy it; you'll like it!

Red Kap Chef DesignsTen Pearl Button Chef Coat, White, Medium
Red Kap Chef DesignsTen Pearl Button Chef Coat, White, Medium
Offered by Fire and Safety Equipment
Price: $9.85
7 used & new from $9.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What We Needed, January 23, 2014
Looks professional, which is what we needed. Nice Fit, better fabric than expected for the price. Came on time. Look forward to years of use.

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
by Louise Penny
Price: $13.07
112 used & new from $3.65

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with Armand, December 3, 2013
I'm in love with Armand and his wife and all the other recurring characters. i've read all but the latest in the series, never disappointed. I only want to know one thing: When is the Three Pines cookbook coming out? And what about a cologne for men with Armand's special rosewater based scent?

Sakkas F1218 Original Unisex Structured Wool Fedora Hat - Black - S/M
Sakkas F1218 Original Unisex Structured Wool Fedora Hat - Black - S/M
Offered by Sakkas Store
Price: $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, December 3, 2013
Good quality especially for the price. Obviously not a top of the line hat, but very serviceable while my husband's best hat is being cleaned and refurbished. Just what I wanted and he needed. We call him "pinhead" because his head is small so the hat fits him fine.

Babbitt
Babbitt
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An Old Favorite Revisited, June 23, 2013
This review is from: Babbitt (Kindle Edition)
Probably not being read much these days, but Sinclair Lewis remains an excellent way to research and experience the times about which and during which he wrote. I'd forgotten how much I admired his style. And, of course, Babbit became a part of the language, at least for a while. Sad/funny and entertaining. A worthwhile visit to the small city of the US in the 20's.

A Rule Against Murder: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Book 4)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $8.89

4.0 out of 5 stars More than a mystery, May 5, 2013
If you like your mysteries straight up puzzles or thrillers with bullets and gore,this book and this author are not for you. But if you appreciate an author who explores the human heart, considers moral and philosophical issues and creates places in such tempting detail that you want be there if only they could
be found,then you'll love Penny's Gamache series. My advice is to read them in order for maximum understanding and pleasure. I read the latest first and I'm working my way from the first and loving every one.

Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad Book 4)
Broken Harbor: A Novel (Dublin Murder Squad Book 4)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but you can see the wires, January 5, 2013
I found myself toward the end stopping everything to reach the conclusion that I thought might be coming. At times, I felt I could see some of the devices Tanna was using a bit more clearly than i usually see such things, but it didn't stop me from wanted to get to the end or from enjoying the book. The narrator did not become as close to me as those in her earlier works, but I still highly recommend this one.

Page: 1 | 2